Shades of Green?

cowingfamily

Earning My Ears
Although not a Disney Resort, we are considering Shades of Green as an option that may provide the conviences of a WDW resort but at a savings as a member of our party is active duty military. Does anyone have any feedback on how this option would compare to booking with a value resort, which would probably be our other option?
Thanks so much!

There's a thread going with all sorts of great info on SoG:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1678104

My parents have stayed several times and really enjoy it. My upcoming trip in April will be my first time. I love the fact that we'll be right across the street from the Poly...monorail access with a little one (18 months) is invaluable.

Have a great trip, no matter where you decide to stay!

Hi there. I haven't stayed at SOG yet - we will be there for the first time in May but I have read a lot about it. From what I can tell the rooms and grounds are more similar to a Deluxe WDW resort, without the elaborate theming. They have queen sized beds as opposed to the double beds at the Value Resorts and the rooms are much larger than the values. We spend the majority of our time at the parks so, although I am bummed that they don't have WDW Resort TV and big time Disney theming I am definately looking forward to queen sized beds and a larger room for the same price as a value resort. Also, there is a path from SOG to the Polynesian Hotel where you can take the monorail - so it's also like staying at a monorail resort. I have read that the food isn't good at all. We loved the food court at ASMo strictly for the convenience so I will miss that - but most of our meals are eaten at the parks so it's not a big deal. SOG also has in room refrigerators so we are going to store yogurt and juice, etc. in the room for breakfast.

My DH and I stayed there and loved it. Rooms are twice the size at SOG, Queen size beds and a sleeper sofa, large bathroom, quieter atmosphere (fewer rooms), has it's own bus system, food is OK, but the price is right. EMH just like the Disney resorts. DDP not available.

SOG website http://www.shadesofgreen.org/home.html

We have also stayed at the value resorts, POP and Movies. My kids (they are in their 20's!!) prefer the Disney resorts. We like POP the best. Great foodcourt, pools. Very loud and busy. Bus system is crowded. Room size is adequate, double beds. We always get 2 rooms when we stay at the Values (5 people).

Before it was Shades of Green, it was the Disney Inn which was a deluxe Disney resort (golf resort) so there is no comparison to a value. It is an interior hallway hotel with most of the benefits and all the convenience of the deluxe Disney resorts at 1/4-1/3 of the price.

Although not a Disney Resort, we are considering Shades of Green as an option that may provide the conviences of a WDW resort but at a savings as a member of our party is active duty military. Does anyone have any feedback on how this option would compare to booking with a value resort, which would probably be our other option?
Thanks so much!

As a previous poster said, there is much discussion about SoG elsewhere.

The way I see it, you are paying about the same amount of money for a deluxe (SoG) room that others are paying for a tiny space at POP.

Thanks so much!

Compared to a value -- no comparison, as others have said. The location alone makes it a better deal than a value, none of which are all that close to any of the theme parks. SOG is a short walk to the Poly and the monorail is very convienent. (Assuming one is in good condition, which most active duty military people are -- if you have a stroller for your toddler, you should be able to get from SOG to the monorail at the Poly in under 15 minutes.) You can use the resort monorail to get to MK or TTC (you can also walk to TTC, but I'd take the monorail since you have to get to it anyway from SOG to the Poly), and from TTC you can take the monorail to EPCOT. SOG has buses that go to the other parks, too, and they run on time. But again, if you have to get back to SOG and it'll be a while for a SOG bus to show up, you can hop on the one to the Poly and just walk back to SOG from there.

You can also use the small boats that launch from the Poly and go to MK, another fun way to get there, especially for a small child because they tend to like boats. :goodvibes I'd say try SOG at least once and see how it works out, but I am positive that compared to a value, you cannot beat the Shades of Green.

-Dorothy (LadyZolt)

Dh and I have stayed at SOG twice and are going back for our 3rd stay this November. We love it there. The rooms are huge, and very nice, we love the walk to the Poly and the monorail and the price is great and since your room rate is based on your rank, depending on what rank you are, you can get some awesome deals. DH has been promoted since our last visit so we had to go up in the pay rate, but still a great savings for us. Can't wait to get back there!! :woohoo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter