SHADES OF GREEN at Walt Disney World Resort Information & Questions

For those of you who've stayed at SOG and used a shuttle transportation to/from MCO with a toddler, did you rent a car seat??
We used Lanier Transportation. I would strongly recommend them. Clean car and they gave a round trip discount because we were going to SOG. Only $100 round trip. The company recommended by SOG has so many horrific reviews.
In any event, we were picked up in an escalade and it had a booster for our 6 year old and a car seat for our 4 year old. The car seat looked well loved but fine.

Hey All,
So My husband is the military man & we've never stayed here before -- He's very excited! I didn't know it existed so it will be a new experience for us all! It will be my husband and I as well as our 2 year old daughter, and my parents! We will be staying Aug 20-24. I have heard a lot of good things about SOG, but I have a few questions....
1. Can you get your Magic Bands sent to you early? Or not, because it's not technically a disney resort?
2. How's the transportation to & From the parks?
3. My parents obviously have NO military ties, except for my husband (He booked everything) - So when they are at the hotel will they be able to do everything just like they would a normal hotel, or will my husband need to be present to show his ID? ( Sounds like a dumb question I know -- but I'm making sure this isn't like a military base) because we are wanting them to be able to come and go with our 2 year old while we enjoy some "Extra" park time! :)

Thanks everyone!
Sorry if my questions are ignorant -- I'm new to all this!
As to the magic bands, you have to buy your own if you want to use them, they don't come with this resort reservation like they would with a Disney resort. We bought ours because we thought it would be fun for the kids. But you don't need to buy them, your plastic tickets work the same way with fast passes, etc. It's all connected to My Disney Experience.
We were with my father in law, who is the veteran and he walks with a limp (surgery gone wrong not in the line of duty) and we used the Shady Shuttle to get us to the end of the property each day we were going to the MK. For the rest of the parks, we simply used the Shades Transport. The only thing i will tell you, which is annoying, is that if you are going to Epcot, you will get your bags screened two times. Shades does not provide direct transport to Epcot, only to Transportation and Ticket. So before getting on the monorail, you need to go through security. Then you will get screened again exiting the monorail at epcot. I really wish they would direct people getting off the monorail past the security and apparently they will in the future, but who knows how long that will take. So prepare for that delay. Also, you will need to show your photo ID and resort ID every time you get on a shades bus and every time that same bus goes through the security gate, returning to shades of green. Its very secure.... lol

Your parents will have paper ID cards when everyone checks in, they will be able to do everything at the resort (except buy alcohol at the exchange) as long as they have their paper id cards.

We used Lanier Transportation. I would strongly recommend them. Clean car and they gave a round trip discount because we were going to SOG. Only $100 round trip. The company recommended by SOG has so many horrific reviews.
In any event, we were picked up in an escalade and it had a booster for our 6 year old and a car seat for our 4 year old. The car seat looked well loved but fine.

As to the magic bands, you have to buy your own if you want to use them, they don't come with this resort reservation like they would with a Disney resort. We bought ours because we thought it would be fun for the kids. But you don't need to buy them, your plastic tickets work the same way with fast passes, etc. It's all connected to My Disney Experience.
We were with my father in law, who is the veteran and he walks with a limp (surgery gone wrong not in the line of duty) and we used the Shady Shuttle to get us to the end of the property each day we were going to the MK. For the rest of the parks, we simply used the Shades Transport. The only thing i will tell you, which is annoying, is that if you are going to Epcot, you will get your bags screened two times. Shades does not provide direct transport to Epcot, only to Transportation and Ticket. So before getting on the monorail, you need to go through security. Then you will get screened again exiting the monorail at epcot. I really wish they would direct people getting off the monorail past the security and apparently they will in the future, but who knows how long that will take. So prepare for that delay. Also, you will need to show your photo ID and resort ID every time you get on a shades bus and every time that same bus goes through the security gate, returning to shades of green. Its very secure.... lol

Your parents will have paper ID cards when everyone checks in, they will be able to do everything at the resort (except buy alcohol at the exchange) as long as they have their paper id cards.

Wow, thank you so much for all this information! Good to know!! Appreciate it!

Have ressies in May at SOG, with 5 in our room. How comfortable are the fold down sofa beds? I have a 5'10" teenager that will be sleeping on it and it looks kind of short. Has anyone ever brought a air mattress and put in on top or on the floor and just used that? Looking for suggestions. No fun if you don't sleep for a week. Thanks

Have ressies in May at SOG, with 5 in our room. How comfortable are the fold down sofa beds? I have a 5'10" teenager that will be sleeping on it and it looks kind of short. Has anyone ever brought a air mattress and put in on top or on the floor and just used that? Looking for suggestions. No fun if you don't sleep for a week. Thanks
The fold down bed is a bit of an oddity because it doesn't fold out like a traditional sofa bed and it's only the size of a shorter single. I mean, it's a bed and better than sleeping on a couch so i think he'll be fine.

My 26 year old brother and 11 year old son have slept on it several times. My brother is 6ft 1in and it's short for him but he has never complained. Said it was miles better than the bed options that come with a Music Suite.

I am not sure if I need to post this question under this topic or the Fast Pass topic, so please let me know if I need to move it. We are arriving at Shades of Green on June 28th. I have linked our resort reservation and also linked out military tickets. When I click on "get fast passes", I can see that I am able to book FP's 30 days out. I figured our 60 day window will open on April 28th. Will my 60 day window just open up when I hit the 60 day window opening? I guess I figured I wouldn't see the 30 window in MDE at all and I would just see the 60 day window open when April 28th arrives. I just want to make sure I correctly linked everything prior to the 60 day window opening and that I did not do something wrong. I really hope this makes sense to someone who will be able to answer my off the wall question.

I am not sure if I need to post this question under this topic or the Fast Pass topic, so please let me know if I need to move it. We are arriving at Shades of Green on June 28th. I have linked our resort reservation and also linked out military tickets. When I click on "get fast passes", I can see that I am able to book FP's 30 days out. I figured our 60 day window will open on April 28th. Will my 60 day window just open up when I hit the 60 day window opening? I guess I figured I wouldn't see the 30 window in MDE at all and I would just see the 60 day window open when April 28th arrives. I just want to make sure I correctly linked everything prior to the 60 day window opening and that I did not do something wrong. I really hope this makes sense to someone who will be able to answer my off the wall question.
Even if you don't have the 60day FP+ capabilities (you will) anyone with a valis linked ticket can view FP+ options for the next 30 days. Your military tickets being linked would allow you to go tomorrow for example, as they are not date -dependent (except for the expiration and completion regulations). DieD that make sense ? At the 60 day mark, you should be able to view and make FP+ selections as long as your tickets and res are linked to MDE. One thing that still happens from time to time is that MDE wont show the room res linked and you have to re-enter the res #. It happened to me so many days I lost counts, but as I neared the FP+ date I just made sure the room res was linked and had no issues.

Even if you don't have the 60day FP+ capabilities (you will) anyone with a valis linked ticket can view FP+ options for the next 30 days. Your military tickets being linked would allow you to go tomorrow for example, as they are not date -dependent (except for the expiration and completion regulations). DieD that make sense ? At the 60 day mark, you should be able to view and make FP+ selections as long as your tickets and res are linked to MDE. One thing that still happens from time to time is that MDE wont show the room res linked and you have to re-enter the res #. It happened to me so many days I lost counts, but as I neared the FP+ date I just made sure the room res was linked and had no issues.

Thank you, thank you! Yes! That makes sense to me now. I just wanted to make sure I didn't mess something up, but now it all makes sense. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question! I appreciate you!

Thank you, thank you! Yes! That makes sense to me now. I just wanted to make sure I didn't mess something up, but now it all makes sense. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question! I appreciate you!
Absolutely! Im Iust glad you could make out what I was saying, when I use my phone to type on the disboards it's usually cringeworthy nonsense autocorrects!

Wow, thank you so much for all this information! Good to know!! Appreciate it!
You can buy them from shop Disney, and as said earlier, link them (and you SoG res) onto MDE. The only major difference is that they won't open your door. You can still link your tickets and debit/ credit card. (I have three different bands and my challenge coin/ pin collections stop me from buying more! :earsboy:) either way, have a blast! SoG is amazing and we are going twice this year!

You can buy them from shop Disney, and as said earlier, link them (and you SoG res) onto MDE. The only major difference is that they won't open your door. You can still link your tickets and debit/ credit card. (I have three different bands and my challenge coin/ pin collections stop me from buying more! :earsboy:) either way, have a blast! SoG is amazing and we are going twice this year!

Now I could be out of the loop, and totally wrong, but to the best of my knowledge if you are staying at SOG you can link your tickets to the MB, but you cannot link a credit/debit card unless you are staying at a Disney resort. Has this policy changed since our stay last summer?

Now I could be out of the loop, and totally wrong, but to the best of my knowledge if you are staying at SOG you can link your tickets to the MB, but you cannot link a credit/debit card unless you are staying at a Disney resort. Has this policy changed since our stay last summer?
I may be totally wrong. I thought you could, but haven’t tried to in a bit.

Thanks for confirming this. I was hoping it was true because it would be so much easier. Oh well, maybe someday. :sad2:
Sadly. We never tried it, because I don’t want my kids charging stuff and then “forgetting” to tell me.
You are right though, it would be easier. (I did chat with a WDW agent to confirm.)

Does anyone know how far in advance you can book Shades? Is it one year out? Trying to plan a family trip with multiple rooms and need to book early.

Does anyone know how far in advance you can book Shades? Is it one year out? Trying to plan a family trip with multiple rooms and need to book early.
Yes, 1 year but when we needed to book we were able to book our entire trip a year out from the first date.

Yes, 1 year but when we needed to book we were able to book our entire trip a year out from the first date.
Perfect! Thank you!

It’s possible to book 3 rooms, right? When it said one serviceman per room, I was doubting myself. Thanks in advance if you could help!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter