Sewing Machines... I need a new one and some advice!

karebear1

<font color=purple>BL II - Purple Team<br><font co
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I'll give it a go anyway!

I'm looking to replace my 26 year old Kenmore sewing machine and I have no idea where to start.

Here's what I want:

*It needs to be a good brand- with a good reputation
*Of course, I want a screaming good deal on it!
* I'd like it to be more then the beginner model, but less then the cadillac model.

I will be doing mostly quilting on this machine, but mayeb some baby clothes for my first grandchild and probably some home deco stuff

Can anyone here give me some suggestions or at least a place to start looking?

I have extensive experience with Husqvarna Viking and recomend them highly. Even a basic model is going to cost a bit more than your walmart model but you get what you pay for. As a home ec teacher I had 15 non computerized machines that 200+ students used a year and never had one problem, and they can be very rough on machines! I also own two myself, a husky (that they don't make anymore, very basic) and a Rose which was one of the first computerized embroidery machines they made. One thing I like about Viking is that you can trade up to a newer model and recieve your full purchase price for a year and you can still trade up even after that, of course for less credit. You can get super deals from your local dealer on traded in machines.

My stepmom owns a viking dealership so I am a little biased. She took over a closing dealer after many years of viking machines. I know that the new machines just came out so older models are on sale right now. They actually have a very nice quilt designer machine and a lower cost embroidery machine. You can spend anywhere from a couple of hundred dollars to thousands on the newest embroidery machine, but boy is it nice!

Go to a local dealer and try them out, you won't be disapointed. If I can answer any questions about them let me know. I have tried many of the models myself.

I have extensive experience with Husqvarna Viking and recomend them highly. Even a basic model is going to cost a bit more than your walmart model but you get what you pay for. As a home ec teacher I had 15 non computerized machines that 200+ students used a year and never had one problem, and they can be very rough on machines! I also own two myself, a husky (that they don't make anymore, very basic) and a Rose which was one of the first computerized embroidery machines they made. One thing I like about Viking is that you can trade up to a newer model and recieve your full purchase price for a year and you can still trade up even after that, of course for less credit. You can get super deals from your local dealer on traded in machines.

My stepmom owns a viking dealership so I am a little biased. She took over a closing dealer after many years of viking machines. I know that the new machines just came out so older models are on sale right now. They actually have a very nice quilt designer machine and a lower cost embroidery machine. You can spend anywhere from a couple of hundred dollars to thousands on the newest embroidery machine, but boy is it nice!

Go to a local dealer and try them out, you won't be disapointed. If I can answer any questions about them let me know. I have tried many of the models myself.

I love my Husqvarna Viking too!! I have the 755Q quilt machine and I'll tell you, I bought their floor model for about a thousand dollars. The machine, I believe, is normally about 1400. You're probably choking over the price, but considering I'll probably never have to buy another, it is worth it to me. My machine was pretty much middle of the road, but high end just before you get into embroidery machines and those crazy ones with the touch screens. They make another line of machines (they have green on the front I know) that cost a lot less, more in the 5-700 dollar range I -think-.

Let us know what you choose! I just know you'll never be unhappy with a Husqvarna Viking. :D

I have a Viking TOO!!! i have the designer 1 model which does embroidery too. I use mine for quiliting and craft sewing - what a work horse and easy to use. no major problems with it. Get it from a dealer - they will usually offer yearly cleanings for free and classes on how to use it!
What a great machine - I love mine!
I think you need to go to a dealer - try out different brands - see what stiches and options each one offers and then go from there.
Any questions PM me. good luck and have fun buying a new machine!
Jennifer

Thanks to you all for your views on the Viking sewing machines- I so appreciate your insights to these machines.

What do you mean hwen you say these are quilting machines exactly??

Here's their web site http://www.husqvarnaviking.com/us/ and a link to the Quilt Designer II http://www.husqvarnaviking.com/us/572_573.htm
I don't do a lot of quilting so I have never used this machine. One thing about Vikings is that there is a huge number of embroidery designs made specifically for quilting. My mom's shop is actually a quilt shop but most of the ladies use the Designer I. The Sapphire is new and has a long free arm, I've seen it but haven't sewed on it yet. They have a shop locator on the web site so you can find a dealer to try them out.

Have any of you gone to see the viking educators demonstrations? They are wonderful! Every year we have a home dec day and bring in an educator, in fact it was last Friday. You learn so many new tips and tools.

Mine came with a special quilt kit that provided a bigger "table" surface and a few different quilting feet. It also has something like 60 different kinds of stitches (hearts, letters, leaves, and such) that you might want to do when quilting.

To be honest, I haven't used it to make a quilt yet but I plan on tackling a t-shirt quilt when my life slows down (hahahahahahahaha).

I love my ELna. I have had over 12 years now. I do mostly quilting and sewing costumes on it. You can get a special quarter inch foot.

You can't decide until you test drive it. I was between an Elna and a Bernina for about the same price and I liked the feel of the Elna. Test drive some and then decide.

I'm a Pfaff fan myself. But I don't do quilting, so that might make a difference.

Every Pfaff I've ever been around will keep going and going... with no maintenance and with beginners (read: my 9-year-old son) who forget to put the presser foot down :rolleyes1 and with the poor thing bouncing in the car trunk... I'd rather have that than a machine with all the bells and whistles, so the Pfaff works for me.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I'll give it a go anyway!

I'm looking to replace my 26 year old Kenmore sewing machine and I have no idea where to start.

Here's what I want:

*It needs to be a good brand- with a good reputation
*Of course, I want a screaming good deal on it!
* I'd like it to be more then the beginner model, but less then the cadillac model.

I will be doing mostly quilting on this machine, but mayeb some baby clothes for my first grandchild and probably some home deco stuff

Can anyone here give me some suggestions or at least a place to start looking?

I am going against the grain of the rest of the posters, but...

I had a BASIC Singer for 10+ years, that I LOVED. The bobbin case recently broke, so I used that as an excuse to get a new machine (I still got the Singer repaired to keep for my kids and basic stuff). I didn't want to spend $$$$. I do basic sewing, some girl's dresses, some bags/totes and quilting. I wanted a little bit fancy (needle up/needle down, self-cutting, etc.) and in a dream world, I wanted alphabet embroidering.

I bought the Brother SE270-DISNEY model at Walmart. I LOVE THIS MACHINE! It self threads, has needle up/down, thread cutter, etc. Has many stitches, has many foots (feet?), sews great and best of all CAME WITH DISNEY EMBROIDERY DESIGNS! And you can get additional cards for more embroidery. I've already made several skirts and two dresses with "regular" sewing on this machine AND embroidered several shirts and several towels for my kids. LOVE LOVE LOVE this machine, and it didn't break the bank. Although my new addiction to buying embroidery thread, and embroidery design cards, and things to embroider might! :rotfl2:

kjbrown-

with that new machine you have, can you put anything into the embroidery system or is it just limited to what they have stored on the machine? Also- can I add fonts to it???

karebear1 -

You can add downloaded or created designs if you have additional software, Ultimate Box, which writes the designs to a card. I don't know a lot about that because I haven't been able to tear myself away from the Disney stuff yet! :)

I think you would have to find a downloadable embroidery font, but again, I don't really know.

Now this souds like something I'd really be interested in! Thanks for posting about it kj!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter