Severe mammogram anxiety

I hope it's ok to talk about mammograms here.

5 years ago I had a mammogram and they found something so I had an ultrasound right after and the radiologist found something and then in the next two hours I had a biopsy. The ultrasound said "moderate suspicion of malignancy" and so I had the worst week following. It was ultimately fine, two fibroadenomas and extremely dense breasts, which they said is a risk factor.

Since then, I have extreme anxiety every time I have to go, esp. since friends around my age (44) have recently been diagnosed. I do not have a family history but neither did they. Does anyone get this anxiety about it and how do you deal with it?

I had breast cancer surgery and radiation last yr. I am doing my best to make changes and deal with the side effects from cancer treatment.

For starters make sure you get a 3D mammogram. If your breasts are super dense, you are probably going to have a call back for an ultrasound, so do not freak out. Insist on it if they can't "see".

HUGS!

I feel better now. I thought surely I was the only person on the face of the earth reacting that way! Last year was the first year I was offered digital and I turned it down for that reason alone. I told myself I'd do it this year but now that it's time I doubt I'll do it.

ETA: It's not the digital version they wanted me to upgrade to last year. I think mine have been digital for a while. It was the 3D version. Same issue though. I didn't want to encounter something that looked slightly different and trigger a false positive.

Yes, same here. 3D! I haven't done that yet. They've been offering me for about 5 years now. They finally just stopped asking.

I understand scanxiety all too well. Having had cancer, twice, I'm like a professional patient. That's my job, Drs appts, tests, and scans. :sad2: I have had a couple of questionable mammograms. Had to have a few ultrasounds on my left breast, but thankfully, have not needed to have a biopsy. You just basically, have to do it, and just push through.

I have had panic attacks at the Drs office when I have had to have biopsies on other areas. My cancers were oral/HNC and a gynecological cancer. So I've had to have many, many biopsies in my mouth and in another area, an extremely sensitive area. And that, freaking hurts. I'm even scared with the ones in my mouth, because with first biopsy on my tongue, the Novocain wore off when he was stitching up my tongue. OMG. So, I kind of feel like, I'm getting worse, and more scared, because I know how bad these things can hurt. Like someone else wrote, if something is there, ignoring it, will not make it go away. If anything, catching it earlier, will most likely be of benefit to you. With my head and neck cancer, I was stage four, I had to have radiation, and let me tell you, not fun. With my gynecological cancer, I had two disfiguring and invasive surgeries, that sucked, but thankfully it was not a worse stage and I didn't need rads or chemo.

My only advice is to just push through and go. Maybe you have a supportive friend that can go with you? I don't really have anyone to come with me and that can be hard. I try and listen to my favorite music on the way there. Also, when I go to the dentist, he doesn't mind if I put in ear buds and listen to music.

Sending you a big hug.

Thank you, MataHari22. I am sorry that you have had to deal with so much and I pray that you are completely done with cancer with only good health news from here on out!

Prayers for you and all the others waiting for good news.

Anxiety and fear about all this stuff is fine. Just don't let them keep you from doing what you need to do to stay well.

Thank you! I am going to make an appointment soon!

I had breast cancer surgery and radiation last yr. I am doing my best to make changes and deal with the side effects from cancer treatment.

For starters make sure you get a 3D mammogram. If your breasts are super dense, you are probably going to have a call back for an ultrasound, so do not freak out. Insist on it if they can't "see".

HUGS!

Ok, good to know on the ultrasound. Will try not to freak out. I had the 3D mammogram for the first time last year. It is so cool that they have that now.

No advice. Just wanted to say I understand the anxiety associated with these tests.

Thank you!!! And I used to think math tests were hard...I had no idea what was coming. ;)

Thank you all. I am going to get my nerve up and make an appointment for before the end of the month!!

Two years ago I got a call back for a second look. The radiologist came out after and said I had a small growth, and it is most likely cancer. I tried not to freak out but all I could think about was dying. I had it removed and it had not spread to my lymph nodes and I had clean margins. All this was very good. I still needed radiation but no chemo. When I was done with treatment they said "Congratulations you are a cancer survivor." It was the scariest thing I've ever been through and it forced me deal with "what if I'm going to die?" Surprisingly, I was able to maintain hope while planning for my own death, just it case it didn't go well. Every time the doctor came in, I was expecting bad news. There is nothing to compare it to. I began to think, is it better to know that your death could be coming compared to it being a surprise? You can't imagine where your mind will take you. That all being said, they have really good treatment for cancer today, and people survive! So even the bad news, may not be bad because the treatment has come such a long way. I am grateful every single day that I'm going to have more time on this earth. :hippie:

Two years ago I got a call back for a second look. The radiologist came out after and said I had a small growth, and it is most likely cancer. I tried not to freak out but all I could think about was dying. I had it removed and it had not spread to my lymph nodes and I had clean margins. All this was very good. I still needed radiation but no chemo. When I was done with treatment they said "Congratulations you are a cancer survivor." It was the scariest thing I've ever been through and it forced me deal with "what if I'm going to die?" Surprisingly, I was able to maintain hope while planning for my own death, just it case it didn't go well. Every time the doctor came in, I was expecting bad news. There is nothing to compare it to. I began to think, is it better to know that your death could be coming compared to it being a surprise? You can't imagine where your mind will take you. That all being said, they have really good treatment for cancer today, and people survive! So even the bad news, may not be bad because the treatment has come such a long way. I am grateful every single day that I'm going to have more time on this earth. :hippie:

ThistleMae, I am so glad it hadn't spread and that you didn't have to have chemo. I can't imagine how scary that must have been. It sounds like you had a very good team of doctors.

Update: had my mammo, no changes from last time, no further tests required. Thanks everyone for the encouragement during my scanxiety attack!

I also have dense breasts, with cysts. They talked me into the 3D mammo last year & said it would be covered by my insurance. It wasn't :(. The good thing is I didn't have to have a follow up ultrasound after because they can see a lot better with the 3D. I'm going back to the normal one this year because its not covered. I'm planning on a couple hours of anxiety while I wait to get both tests done (they do all tests same day which I love).

I am a 14 yr BC Survivor. I have had some rough times related to my diagnosis and treatment, but I deal with it. This year, thanks to my insurance company, I have to go somewhere else for my mammogram, or pay a $100 deductible to continue to go where I've gone for the last 13 years, since the previous place I went (where they want me to go back to now) misdiagnosed a menstrual related change on my mammogram and sent me into three weeks of hell literally just after my year's worth of treatment had ended, which caused me to think I was a goner if something had grown through all that. I do not want to go back there, so I have to decide how important that $100 - and the principle of it - is to me to continue to go to the place I've been going all along. I'm angry I am even being put in this situation after all I've managed to make it through already. Talk about bringing me back to those days! The thing is, I have all sorts of weird things leftover in my breast from my treatment, and the place I've been going knows this, so they work around it. (I'm usually dozing off in the waiting room, slightly anxious, while many people around me come and go; it takes them a while to read it, and at least two radiologists have to sign off on it right then and there. But it's such a nice feeling when they come in and say everything is ok.) I'm worried that if I go to a new place, they're going to freak out again and I'm going to be back on the biopsy table and what not. Ugh. My oncologist isn't supportive of my going to the place I've always gone anymore since their groups are no longer affiliated. :headache: I guess I'll just grit my teeth and fork the money over in order to avoid all the BS.

OP, glad things worked out for you.

I am a 14 yr BC Survivor. I have had some rough times related to my diagnosis and treatment, but I deal with it. This year, thanks to my insurance company, I have to go somewhere else for my mammogram, or pay a $100 deductible to continue to go where I've gone for the last 13 years, since the previous place I went (where they want me to go back to now) misdiagnosed a menstrual related change on my mammogram and sent me into three weeks of hell literally just after my year's worth of treatment had ended, which caused me to think I was a goner if something had grown through all that. I do not want to go back there, so I have to decide how important that $100 - and the principle of it - is to me to continue to go to the place I've been going all along. I'm angry I am even being put in this situation after all I've managed to make it through already. Talk about bringing me back to those days! The thing is, I have all sorts of weird things leftover in my breast from my treatment, and the place I've been going knows this, so they work around it. (I'm usually dozing off in the waiting room, slightly anxious, while many people around me come and go; it takes them a while to read it, and at least two radiologists have to sign off on it right then and there. But it's such a nice feeling when they come in and say everything is ok.) I'm worried that if I go to a new place, they're going to freak out again and I'm going to be back on the biopsy table and what not. Ugh. My oncologist isn't supportive of my going to the place I've always gone anymore since their groups are no longer affiliated. :headache: I guess I'll just grit my teeth and fork the money over in order to avoid all the BS.

OP, glad things worked out for you.

Pay the hundred PEA. :coffee:

my 2nd mammo found something. Hate to have the biopsy and it was a fatty tumor. Terrified me and I did not go back for years. Stupid, right?

So I am back going annually. Ok, first one was last year. But it was clear. I have committed myself to going. It is not fair to me or my family to not go. Early detection is key (I know I sound like the commercial!)

Talk yourself down. They may find something. Denial does not make it not there. The sooner something is found the better

If you do find something, early is the best! You have choices for treatment that you would not have by waiting too long

Make that appointment today. It is scary but necessary

A few years ago I had a "bad mammogram" so had to have a followup sonogram. The sonogram showed something so I had to have a needle biopsy. I was amazingly calm thru all of this for one good reason.

My biggest fear is not getting breast cancer. It is having breast cancer and not knowing it.

My mother had never had a mammogram (decades ago) when her breast cancer was discovered. Watching her slowly die from breast cancer over the next few years was horrible. Hers was a type that if it had been caught earlier would not have been deadly.

(I fortunately did not have cancer.)

A few years ago I had a "bad mammogram" so had to have a followup sonogram. The sonogram showed something so I had to have a needle biopsy. I was amazingly calm thru all of this for one good reason.

My biggest fear is not getting breast cancer. It is having breast cancer and not knowing it.

My mother had never had a mammogram (decades ago) when her breast cancer was discovered. Watching her slowly die from breast cancer over the next few years was horrible. Hers was a type that if it had been caught earlier would not have been deadly.

(I fortunately did not have cancer.)

I have the same story. My mom hadn't had a mammogram in 15 years when she was diagnosed at age 62. The tumor was large and spread to her lymph nodes. She actually lived 9 1/2 years, over 5 years from when it reoccurred. She went through years of treatments before her liver failed from the metastasis. I had a scare last year and had to have a biopsy, it was benign. Ironically, I had my annual gyn exam today and she gave me a script for a diagnostic mammogram so I don't have to wait for results like I did with a screening. I tried to call for an appointment when I got home but they were already closed. I want to get it done ASAP so that I know I am OK. If I'm not, then it's early.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter