Severe Dust Allergy-- Resort Rooms?

MrsDuck

DIS Veteran
Hi all!

I was just diagnosed with a severe dust and dust mite allergy. I know dust is pretty unavoidable especially in resort rooms that are carpeted and have curtains.

I was curious if anyone had experience with a dust allergy and Disney? I guess it sounds silly but is there anything I can request in terms of resort rooms? I don't think calling and asking "can I have a room with as little dust as possible" will be too successful! :lmao:

This is just a shot in the dark [I'm assuming I'll have to be doing a lot on my own-- bringing allergy free linens, dehumidifier, etc]. If it makes a difference: we are DVC members and usually only stay at DVC resorts. Any responses would be greatly appreciated!

Disney is great about this and they have a special cleaning called VIP cleaning for guest who need extra cleaning done. My son has asthma and allergies so I understand your situation. All you have to do is call and ask. Just tell them the situation and that you need the VIP cleaning. You can also ask for a new air filter to be put in and for the carpets to be cleaned as well. We always request that the pillows be removed from the room and we bring our own. If this is an option for you then I would recommend it as well. They do not charge extra for this service.

Disney is great about this and they have a special cleaning called VIP cleaning for guest who need extra cleaning done. My son has asthma and allergies so I understand your situation. All you have to do is call and ask. Just tell them the situation and that you need the VIP cleaning. You can also ask for a new air filter to be put in and for the carpets to be cleaned as well. We always request that the pillows be removed from the room and we bring our own. If this is an option for you then I would recommend it as well. They do not charge extra for this service.
This is great news! Thank you!

When do I need to request this service? The day of before check in? The week of? When I make my reservation?

You should tell them when booking that you need this service. If you have already booked then you can call and add it at any time. Then call about a week before your trip to double check that they have it noted on your reservation. Thats they way I do it anyway.

Just remember if you do this you can't change rooms because it takes a long time to clean the room so they can't just reassign you.

You should tell them when booking that you need this service. If you have already booked then you can call and add it at any time. Then call about a week before your trip to double check that they have it noted on your reservation. Thats they way I do it anyway.

Just remember if you do this you can't change rooms because it takes a long time to clean the room so they can't just reassign you.

Thank you both! :cheer2:

Don't count on vip cleaning I hate to say this but I have severe dust mite alleges and have requested the cleaning only to find it not done. Granted if it is not clean they will clean it you just need to call the front desk. On a separate note when you request a special cleaning you cannot change rooms if you don't like the location of your room since it was specially cleaned for you.

Don't count on vip cleaning I hate to say this but I have severe dust mite alleges and have requested the cleaning only to find it not done. Granted if it is not clean they will clean it you just need to call the front desk. On a separate note when you request a special cleaning you cannot change rooms if you don't like the location of your room since it was specially cleaned for you.
I figured this could easily happen. It's at least worth calling and noting! Thank you for sharing your experince-- I won't count on anything!

Not to be Debbie Downer, but extra heavy cleaning in a room might stir up more dust and aggravate your allergies even more. You could buy a small air cleaner to pack in your suitcase and leave it running in the room all day.

When I stay away from home, I take a 1/2 dose of Benadryl in addition to my regular allergy meds. The half dose doesn't leave me groggy the next morning and helps negate any extra allergen exposure. Good luck!

1) There are two levels of "VIP" cleaning.
2) The one mentioned above, plus another more intense.
3) However, because you request, does not guarantee it will be done.
4) But, you usually do get some of it when requested.

Hi all!

I was just diagnosed with a severe dust and dust mite allergy. I know dust is pretty unavoidable especially in resort rooms that are carpeted and have curtains.

I was curious if anyone had experience with a dust allergy and Disney? I guess it sounds silly but is there anything I can request in terms of resort rooms? I don't think calling and asking "can I have a room with as little dust as possible" will be too successful! :lmao:

This is just a shot in the dark [I'm assuming I'll have to be doing a lot on my own-- bringing allergy free linens, dehumidifier, etc]. If it makes a difference: we are DVC members and usually only stay at DVC resorts. Any responses would be greatly appreciated!

I would suggest getting one of those small air cleaners with filters......they come about the size of a small typewriter.(remember them).and most of the name brands do a good job!

I have a friend with dust issues and the problem is when they do a good cleaning,it actually raises all the dust into the air!

Best of Luck!

AKK

I always bring extra allergy covers for my pillows when I travel. You can get inexpensive ones so if you forget to take them off when you leave it isn't a big deal. It helps a lot.

My DD has severe dust mite as well as multiple other allergies. She has always been fine at WDW. We do bring our own pillows, and I usually put her on Zyrtec while we are away. I have never requested VIP cleaning, but I do note her allergies on our reservation.

our family has had great Disney experiences with VIP cleaning, we have to request green cleaning and non scented cleaning and they have always done a great job especially Mousekeeping at WL, they went above and beyond to make sure they did not use chemicals in our room for my son they actually have special rooms set aside that are only used for this purpose we were told

our family has had great Disney experiences with VIP cleaning, we have to request green cleaning and non scented cleaning and they have always done a great job especially Mousekeeping at WL, they went above and beyond to make sure they did not use chemicals in our room for my son they actually have special rooms set aside that are only used for this purpose we were told

This is not correct. VIP clean is done at most the day before check in. Most often the day of check in. The room is blocked out but can be in any part of the resort(depending on room class booked). There are not special rooms set aside.

This is not correct. VIP clean is done at most the day before check in. Most often the day of check in. The room is blocked out but can be in any part of the resort(depending on room class booked). There are not special rooms set aside.

at WL we were told the rooms are set aside and I believed it to be true bc we were upgraded due to this reason unless the CM's info was not accurate, but mousekeeping did tell us the room was only used for VIP cleaning, maybe it is just at certain resorts

at WL we were told the rooms are set aside and I believed it to be true bc we were upgraded due to this reason unless the CM's info was not accurate, but mousekeeping did tell us the room was only used for VIP cleaning, maybe it is just at certain resorts

I have no doubt you were told that. But in the interest of providing accurate information, the resorts do not have rooms set aside just for those that request VIP cleaning. Just as they cannot limit the rooms to those with service animals, they cannot limit the rooms for other special needs. Even handicapped rooms can be used by others.

What happens most often is (as I described earlier) the room is "set aside" a day early to give time for housekeeping to get in and do the VIP clean.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter