Several transportation questions

gracelrm

<font color=teal>Wow - you learn something new eve
First off, we've always driven to Disney, so I've never rented a car or used DME. Thanks upfront for any help you can give me.

I will be flying Southwest into MCO with an arrival time of 4pm. I will be traveling alone on the front end of the trip. If I use DME, I will just have one wheeled checked bag and a carry-on. Should I have them deliver my luggage to Animal Kingdom-Kidani or just deal with it myself? I'm thinking that since I should be able to check-in my room upon arrival, it might be easier just to keep it with me but I'm looking for advise from seasoned Magical Express users.

Second, my husband will be staying off property with a school trip but joining me for the last two days and then we will rent a car to drive home (he doesn't fly). If we are staying our last days at the Polynesian, is it easiest just to rent a car at the Car Care place on property or are there other car rental places that will come to the resort & pick you up?

TIA

Since you're flight arrives around 4pm, I would be very tempted to not tag my bag and go get it myself, then bring it to the bus with me. You would add about 15 mins to your overall time doing that, but you're pretty sure to be able to get into your room when you arrive around 5:30! It's nice to unpack.
As far as renting a car goes, I would probably just use the CCC. It's nearby and they will come and get you...just need to call them the day before you want to get over there to set up a ride.

Since one way car rentals tend to be very expensive, I would start by comparing rates from all of the companies. In this case, convenience would be a secondary concern for me.

I never pick up my own checked bags when using DME unless I have to. Anything I need for the first 24 hours is in my carry on bag. Why waste time at the airport grabbing your luggage if you don't have to? I let them get it, go check in at the resort, and then go out to a park or Disney Springs.

As Alesia noted, I would definitely check on the rates for one way rentals. I have friends who have paid $300 -$400 more for the rental because it was one way. It will pay to do your homework.

Alamo has a rental location at Shades of Green which is walking distance from the Poly. If the price is right I would rent from there and not worry about them having to pick you up.

If you arrive at 4pm, your bags are typically delivered 3-4 hours after you check-in at the resort. By the time you arrive at the resort, I'd estimate 5-5:30, which means it could be 9pm-ish before you see your checked bag. That's not super late and there's a good chance it may not even take that long, so I guess it just depends on what your plans are for the evening. If you will be hitting the parks or Disney Springs, I'd let them deliver the bag. If you will be hanging out in the room, I might grab it myself so I can unpack and get settled when I get in the room.

We've done both with DME. I always grumble when we have to get our own bags though - baggage claim at MCO always seems crazy, and it always seems to take forever for us. It added a good 30 minutes last time we did it. We then had to haul the bags across the airport over to the DME area. So, I only get my own bags when I absolutely have to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter