Seriously? Come on Disney...

son3disfan

DIS Veteran
Caribbean cruises: $800 more to upgrade to a balcony from an inside cat. 11.

Alaska cruises: $1800 more to upgrade to a balcony from an inside cat 11.
:scared1::scared1::scared1:

And that's comparing a Caribbean cruise ON THE FANTASY...
to an Alaskian cruise ON THE WONDER!

Wow...that's ridiculous.

It's probably because verandahs are highly sought after in Alaska due to the gorgeous scenery. We really wanted to book a 2013 Alaskan cruise but I don't think we'll be able to swing the much higher than other itinerary prices. :goodvibes

They're just going by supply and demand....same as any other business.

You don't want to cruise DCL for Alaska. You don't want to be on any of the large cruise ships, because they are very limited in the waters they sail.

There is one line with smaller ships that get in waters that are not accessible by the larger ones. You get to see MUCH more (with or without a veranda...)

Of course they are.....it's called gouging!

I generally think of gouging when the products are necessities or commodities. This is definitely not either of those. If you want the verandah, pay the market price. I can definitely see why there is a bigger differential in demand for Alaska vs. Caribbean.

Having a verandah for Alaska is going to be much more highly prized than having a verandah for the Caribbean. There's also the fact that the Fantasy has many more verandah staterooms than the Wonder has.

Let's say you were selling your 2003 Honda Accord w/ 120,000 miles on it and you had two interested buyers. Would you sell it to Person A for what you felt to be a reasonable price $1,500.00?

Or would you sell it to Person B who offered what you felt was an outrageous amount of $5,000.00?

That's what I thought....

I generally think of gouging when the products are necessities or commodities. This is definitely not either of those. If you want the verandah, pay the market price. I can definitely see why there is a bigger differential in demand for Alaska vs. Caribbean.

Well said, jacking up the prices for items you have to have before a hurricane hits is gouging. Hiking the price for a verandah because the demand it there is not. If DCL isn't selling the verandahs because enough people think the cost is too high guess what DCL will do, lower the amount to fill the staterooms. They must be selling them.

You cannot compare the Wonder and the Fantasy - there are way more oveanview and verandah rooms than there are inside rooms on the Fantasy.

If you play around with the bookings on the Disney site there are many times when an inside room is MORE than an oceanview on the Fantasy.

Oh, good grief! Next your going to throw out my favorite...."it's not FAIR". smh

EVERY cruise line charges a significant amount more for a balcony in Alaska. Because they can. It's called the free market and a lot of us prefer an economy based on that principal.

I've been on 4 Alaska cruises, and none were in balcony cabins (1 inside and 3 oceanviews). I won't pay for a balcony in Alaska, because I'd rather use the savings for other things - like a longer trip or for excursions. The best views are NOT from one side of the ship on your balcony, but from the front of the ship (too bad the Wonder doesn't have an open bow) or from the top deck - so you can get a panoramic view.

On our cruise in July, there is only one 5A verandah room left. Prices have gone up around 1800 since we booked. It is not gouging. As others have posted, it is supply and demand.

Alaskan cruises will always be more expensive than Carribean cruises.

We did Alaska last summer, and the veranda was worth every penny. As we went up Tracy Arm, we had room service deliver coffee and cookies. We sat on the veranda all day taking pictures and just looking at the beauty.

I've been on 4 Alaska cruises, and none were in balcony cabins (1 inside and 3 oceanviews). I won't pay for a balcony in Alaska, because I'd rather use the savings for other things - like a longer trip or for excursions. The best views are NOT from one side of the ship on your balcony, but from the front of the ship (too bad the Wonder doesn't have an open bow) or from the top deck - so you can get a panoramic view.

Good to hear. That's what we will be doing!

And for the negative nelly's out there....I am aware of the definition of gouging..perhaps I should have added a smilely face...

And there is no " I want it for free" here... :)
Of course Disney will try to make money .... I am just in shock of what they are charging....and what people are paying.
This Alaska stuff is all new to us and the sticker shock is, well, very shocking.
(And I haven't even mentioned excursions..:headache:)

Don't go on a cruise if you don't like the price.
As many have said, it's simple supply and demand.

Good to hear. That's what we will be doing!

And for the negative nelly's out there....I am aware of the definition of gouging..perhaps I should have added a smilely face...

And there is no " I want it for free" here... :)
Of course Disney will try to make money .... I am just in shock of what they are charging....and what people are paying.
This Alaska stuff is all new to us and the sticker shock is, well, very shocking.
(And I haven't even mentioned excursions..:headache:)

Alaska is very easy to find shore excursions on your own when you get to each port and walk around the tiny towns. Prices are usually much cheaper than those sponsored by the ships. Just be sure you get back on board before the ship sails without you.

We did Alaska last summer, and the veranda was worth every penny. As we went up Tracy Arm, we had room service deliver coffee and cookies. We sat on the veranda all day taking pictures and just looking at the beauty.

I couldn't agree with you more! The scenery is too pretty not to do a balcony in my opinion! So worth the extra $$$

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter