September weather

Skybaby

Mouseketeer
We went to Disney in October 2000. It was pretty chilly. We could only swim one day. So in 2001, we went in September and it was great. It didn't seem to be real hot. We have a trip planned for September 2004. But now I keep reading about how hot it is in September. And I am getting worried! Can anyone reassure me?

Always remember, September is during hurricane season... which can translate to a lot of rainfall.

That said, September in Orlando can easily reach the 90's with low temps being around 74 degrees.

Remember we are talking about the WEATHER here. :D

Generally speaking, daily highs in September will range from the upper 80s into the 90s. But it could very easily be cooler than that or warmer than that.

Humidity and precipitation are also major concerns this time of year. We visited the last week of September '02, and it was VERY humid. It also rained 4 of the 6 days we were there.

If you want to play the averages, I'd suggest researching the average temps throughout the year and pick at time that suits your comfort level. But realize that the actual weather is bound to vary from the averages, no matter how carefully you plan.

I think a lot of it also has to do with personal perception, as well. We went during the second week of September 2002 (the week of the 9-11 anniversary) and looking back, we don't remember one single time thinking that it was too hot. Our only complaint was the fact that the high humidity meant we were drenched with sweat when we played a mid-day game of tennis on the clay courts at the Grand Floridian, but still, it was far from too hot to play. We had fun.

However, every trip report I've seen from that same week is full of complaints about the heat, and how the heat affected people's mood. I honestly don't get that. I thought it might be selective memory, but we have over one hundred photos from the theme parks (digital camera) and not one of those photos shows us sweating or with anything but smiles on our faces.

So even though it's impossible to predict the weather, I do predict that if your group tends to whine about the heat, then they will think it's hot in September. If they tend to thrive in warm weather, then they will love September (especially with the low crowds and average 3 minute wait for headliner rides).

As tjkraz says, you can't really predict what the weather will be. It's also true that people's perception of hot or cold can vary. That said....I've been to WDW in September and it was HOT. I think anyone would have agreed that it was hot and humid and never cooled off, not even at night. Of course, that was one week in one September. Another year, it could be totally different. I think you can expect a September trip to range from hot to warm and to be prepared for both thunderstorms and the possibility of a hurricane.

We went the last week in September of '97 and the first week of September (after Labor Day) of '98 and both of those years it was hot and humid when we went. Now, we are from the northeast, so maybe the heat affected us more than someone say from Georgia. We still had a lot of fun, we just took it slow. Also the crowds were very small both times we went. So that definately made up for the heat.

We spent almost 2 weeks in Orlando this last sept. Shorts and T-shirts were a must. A couple of days I tried to get away with capri pants and wasn't comfy.

It was hot and humid - still bearable, not a huge amount of rain. Still better than my one summer trip in 1992. Crowds were wonderfully light.
It was our first trip to the water parks. It just started to rain when we left Blizzard Beach for the day, perfect timing.
The only day the heat really got to me was a day we went to Bush Gardens in Tampa. I was running at about 3/4 speed of normal. But lots of water helps.

we were there in sept,2002 and it as very hot humid and we had rain everyday but only for a short time, but when it stopped raining the humidity was awful. but you have to make the best of it.
misty:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

I have been to WDW 6 times....3-May, 2-Sept and 1-Oct. Although it was hot each time, not once was it TOO hot for me. And we did go swimming every day during out trip in October. I like lack of crowds best in Sept (first week, starting day AFTER Labor Day), but on one trip we had tons of rain.....:( One year in May, Orlando was experiencing a drought....bad for Floridians, perfect for Disney vacationers - 10 straight days of beautiful picture perfect weather!

We were there Sept. 18 - 25 2002. JUNGLE HOT!!! Very hot and humid-only rained hard and for a long period of time one day. We still had a blast-walked on to Splash Mountain twice-no waits. Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter