September or October?

KrazeeK120

DIS Veteran
We recently returned from a Disney trip and what better cure than planning the next one?

I'm planning for fall 2018, but I'll want to get a budget together once 2018 packages are released this summer.

My family is my husband and I and our son, who will be almost 3 by then. Our travel dates are fairly flexible...we probably can't go the last week of September, but we could go any other week in September or October. We just need to be there before our son turns 3 at the end of October (otherwise I would go in November).

Pros/cons to these months? We've never visited in the fall before.

September is HOT HUMID and hurricane season. Maybe go the Week son turns 3? Just checkin before his birthday :)

How was the weather on your recent trip? If you didn't find it too challenging, September is somewhat the same, definitely very humid. Keep in mind that free dining is available in September and that is pretty popular. Also, the Food & Wine Festival will begin in late August and last through mid-November; that is very popular too. October's weather is not quite as humid (in my experience, maybe I was lucky!), and is still a popular time with the Halloween party at the MK.

We went at the beginning of October last year (12 days). Checked in on the final day to be eligible for free dining, which was nice. Hurricane Matthew then preceded to wreak havoc on our plans, which was not so nice. The end of our trip was much nicer weather-wise, but more crowded as Columbus Day impacts the crowd levels.

If free dining is not important to you, I would recommend the 3rd week of October. The Columbus Day crowd spike is over and the weather is a lot nicer.

If free dining is not important to you, I would recommend the 3rd week of October. The Columbus Day crowd spike is over and the weather is a lot nicer.

Free dining isn't important to us. The dining plan doesn't fit with how we like to eat and we would have to purchase food OOP for our son anyway. That's the week in October I was actually looking at as my first choice.

How was the weather on your recent trip? If you didn't find it too challenging, September is somewhat the same, definitely very humid. Keep in mind that free dining is available in September and that is pretty popular. Also, the Food & Wine Festival will begin in late August and last through mid-November; that is very popular too. October's weather is not quite as humid (in my experience, maybe I was lucky!), and is still a popular time with the Halloween party at the MK.

It was definitely hot...unseasonably hot, even for Florida. We were there May 7-12 and it was over 90 every day. It really wasn't humid though, and that makes a big difference. I've been to Disney in August before and the weather then was just miserable.

we've been the 3rd week in September, and 3rd week in October. September was SO hot and humid, at least the year we were there (92-93 degrees everyday). October was cooler. both trips we went back to the resort to rest after lunch and get out of the heat; had younger kids then and they napped.

Glad I'm not the only one planning far in advance--planning on a Sept 2018 trip. And just ignoring how humid it will be. :) Following for the other pros/cons. :)

We got caught in Hurricane Matthew last October and experienced the worst weather ever on a Disney trip.

However, we there in October 2010 and 2011, and had beautiful weather both times so luck is involved.

Something to be aware of is that the Mickey's Not So Scary party will take 3 or 4 nights per week away from the Magic Kingdom. No Happily Ever After to see on party nights. It's a manageable inconvenience, but def is an inconvenience.

Lastly, the Food & Wine Festival will be taking place. It's my favorite thing ever although with a 3 year old, it may not be the best activity for your family.

I'm currently debating the September/October dilemma too. Leaning towards the lesser crowds and free dining of the middle of September currently but slightly worried about heat. However we are not all day at the park people and will likely return to the resort for rest and swimming every afternoon regardless of when we go.

I went last September (2016) and while I had a blast, it was without a doubt the hottest weather I have ever experienced. The heat actually knocked us backwards when we came out of our hotel room one morning. And my thighs chafed so bad that there is actually scarring, which I didn't even know was possible lol.

So I am looking at the end of October for our next trip ;)

If FD isn't an issue, then I would personally choose October over September. October crowds track at about 5-6 (out of 10) versus about 3-4 for September though.

Dan

I would wait and see if a discount comes out for this October! We're planning an end of October trip this year checking in the day before DD turns 3 and they have yet to release any October discounts (except the first few days). I'm starting to get worried that October has become so busy, they don't need to give any discounts. We will either push our dates up/back if in the next few weeks they don't release some kind of RO. So I guess my suggestion is see what happens with this October and plan accordingly for next Sept/October. ( I know there is no guarantee from year to year, but it's a good guess ;))

The week after Labor Day has the lowest crowds of the year. It is going to be nasty hot anyway. The lower crowds really help.

What is worse than a hot, humid day? Being in a massive crowd of smelly people on a hot, humid day.

Just our preference of course, but we tend to value lighter crowds over the better weather.

It may be a little cooler in Oct, but more noticeable to us is how dry Oct can be by comparison. Especially if you're going in early Sept... more chance for that afternoon rain every day. But it's so hot that you want it to rain. The other thing for us where we tend to pick Sept. is the prices bottom for our flights/hotels. MNSSHP begins last week of Aug (we're going end of Aug/early Sept... and it hits us 3x)... so you wouldn't avoid it in Sept. if wanting the later than 7pm MK close on those party nights (we're just PH those nights). As someone mentioned, Columbus Day wknd. is surprisingly busy. I thought that it would be mostly at F&W EP that it would be busy that long weekend with the locals pouring in... but I remember having to leave MK because it was so crowded. To us, the Halloween décor isn't as big of a deal as Christmas decorations either. We just prioritize saving money, and saving time with less crowds (time is money at WDW).

I would wait and see if a discount comes out for this October! We're planning an end of October trip this year checking in the day before DD turns 3 and they have yet to release any October discounts (except the first few days). I'm starting to get worried that October has become so busy, they don't need to give any discounts. We will either push our dates up/back if in the next few weeks they don't release some kind of RO. So I guess my suggestion is see what happens with this October and plan accordingly for next Sept/October. ( I know there is no guarantee from year to year, but it's a good guess ;))

Even if there are discounts this October, that doesn't mean there will be next October, so I'm not factoring that into my decision. I'm going to budget for no discounts and be pleasantly surprised if there is one.

October...but it's still PLENTY hot. Maybe a tiny bit cooler than September.

Went October last year (yay Hurricanes) and we decided to go September this year to avoid the many MNSSHP nights.
Taking mid-day heat breaks was more difficult to plan when we couldn't go to MK after 7.

I find October to be much nicer weather wise. It can still be hot during the day but it cools off noticeably more at night than even a month earlier in September. You are also closer to the end of hurricane season and are past the rainy season. The only disadvantage to October is the crowds tend to be a bit higher than September. As a PP mentioned, if crowds are your top concern go the week after Labor Day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter