September is a good time to celebrate 40 & 10! - Updated 9/13

StarWarsMomofGirls!

DIS Veteran
Well, Hello!

I am soon excited to be planning another trip! We just got back from a VERY short 2 day trip to Disney. And I was able to convince DH to start planning a medium sized trip for September and then our usual week long trip for Feb. 2018! Woo Hoo! At first he wasn't feeling the price tag of the two but after the 2 day visit, he was easily swayed. :cheer2:

You see, I worked around the fact that DH will be celebrating 10 years with his company and part of that, he gets a 2 week paid sabbatical, that he has been talking about turning into a 4 week sabbatical. We talked about him doing it over the summer and spend the time with the girls. But at the end of a week of him home with the girls at Christmas and they were all tired of each other. I said, "Are you sure that is what you want to do?" Cause we aren't sending them to summer camp if he is home! So, he quickly started rethinking that, and pushed it into September.

AND, I am turning the big 4-0 this summer! I am totally ok with this. I have a great DH, and two great DD's to be proud of. A job that allows me to pick my DD's up after school and argue with them about homework. So, I can't complain. But I do want to celebrate the occasion. And really, other than something REALLY big like Hawaii, Disney was probably next on my list. We talked about Hawaii, but the girls are (8) & (6) and I am very afraid of the time difference (as we are in New Jersey) So, we postponed that until a big wedding anniversary or something when the girls are a bit older.

So, between those two things, DH argued to the September Trip!!! I have a million things floating in my head for this trip. So, I will throw them all on here, in hopefully some sort of order!

I will post some pics to, along the way. I know I love and need photos with most reports that I read.

Links to Overview of Final Trip Plans:
  • Tinker bell Gifts - See what my final tinker bell gifts are!
  • Fast Passes
  • Dinning
  • Day By Day Plan

Last edited:
So glad I saw this link in your post on my TR! I hope you guys had a great trip last week, even though it was short. And so exciting you're going back in Sept :cheer2: Although if it was Aug. we'd be there the same month :) Looking forward to hearing all the details!
Oh, and as someone who passed 40.........already, AND celebrated that birthday by going to Disney-I think that's the best way to do it!

Thanks @ariane37! I am super excitied for sure!

And just this morning, I was saying to DH that we should book sooner than later, since Standard Rooms are still available for Wilderness Lodge. And he was already talking about adding another day to the trip!

So, what is the general plan you ask?

Originally it was to Fly down Tuesday, September 19th. Try and book an early evening flight. That way we would only need to pull the girls out of school half an hour early. And then fly home sometime on Sunday, September 24th. Giving us 4 maybe 4-1/2 park days.

Now! DH is proposing we fly down either Monday night or Tuesday 1st flight of the day morning, and spend that day swimming and a nice dinner. Which I am all for! But also, don't want to take the girls out of school too much. I also know how DH's mind works. Tuesday will start out as a "lazy day" and turn into a park day sometime between now and when we go.

But I have been wanting to go to Sanaa for awhile now, and I am thinking that It could be a good 40th birthday dinner. And on the lazy day would be good since it is not a direct route to Sanaa.

So, my brain is all over the place...

Restaurant must do's at the moment:
  • Tusker House - We have not done this yet and I def want to do this, this trip!
  • Dinner at BOG (we did this 2 trips ago)
  • Ohana - Not sure if I want to do dinner or breakfast. We have not done either as of yet!
  • Sanaa - See above....

Ok, I need to start working. I will post more random thoughts later!

So, who is going? You ask?

First off there is me!
Me.jpg
My name is Ariella and I am the planner for our trips, as expected. I like to make general plans for us, so I don't have to stress too much about where we are eating and going but still keep things loose enough to still change things as needed.

I am turning 40 this year (as mentioned above) and we have been "discussing" way to celebrate for awhile. I know some people think I am crazy, but I want to celebrate with our girls. I know most people say to go to somewhere without the kids but I know one day they won't want to vacation with us. I need to take advantage our time together while I can!

Next is DH aka Andy.
Andy_Hulk.jpg
Andy is a great dad. Our first trip we (he) thought it would be maybe a once in a lifetime maybe twice trip. But he caught the bug on the first trip. I think it was of the few places that he can really unwind and disconnect from work. On our second visit, I thought for sure he was going to say he wanted to wait a bit before we came back. But we were on the boat from Magic Kingdom back to Wilderness Lodge on the next to last day of our trip. And he just turns to me and asks "So, when are we coming back again?"

Then as seen above, the last two folks in our party our two DD's, Morgan and Gwen.
Morgan_Stuffie.jpg
This is Morgan, she is 8 and I just can't believe how old she is getting! She is in 3rd grade, and is our caring, sensitive sweetheart. She used to be all about Princesses but has since diversified into Star Wars and High School Musical World as well. She loves the rollercoasters and Disney World and the Chocolate Crepes in France.

Gwen_Castle.jpg
This is Gwen. She is 6 and is our little sassy outgoing little lady. She also amazes me at how big she is getting. She is in 1st grade and wishes she was a teenager already. Sigh. She also started off as an all loving Princess lover but has also diversified over to Star Wars and Phineas and Ferb. They are pretty much opposite of each other but yet they are still the best of friends.

So, this trip will just be the 4 of us. And I am very much looking forward to that. We have def found how we like to tour the parks and for the most part keeps us all happy.

I hope some folks will follow along and give me some advice!

Happy Tuesday Everyone!

So, I want to add a dinning to my list.
  • Tusker House - We have not done this yet and I def want to do this, this trip!
  • Ohana - Not sure if I want to do dinner or breakfast. We have not done either as of yet!
  • Sanaa - this would be my "birthday" dinner
  • Beaches & Cream - This would be new for us as well. I am thinking it wouldn't be too bad to sneak out from EPCOT one night to go here. And I know the girls will love the Ice Cream Sundaes.
Which I think we are 99% sure we are going to do Tuesday, September 19th through Sunday, September 24th.
  • The question will be whether we want to try and fly out Monday night and have all day Tuesday.
  • Or get one of the first flights out on Tuesday.
Either way, I think we will take the girls out of school Tuesday & Wednesday. And then they will be off Thursday & Friday for the Jewish Holiday. I am leaning towards Tuesday night. I personally rather do the travel the night before and get it over with. (I also HATE getting up super early!)

Which means we will have either (5) table service credits or (6) table service credits for the trip. So, at best I may have all of my table service choices already decided! Craziness! I mean things could change, obviously!

This would also mean we will have 4-1/2 Park Days or 5-1/2 Park Days.
Tuesday: Animal Kingdom - AK if we come in the night before. If we come in that day, then probably just a pool day and then Sanaa.
Wednesday: Magic Kingdom - We usually do MK as our first park but for some reason I have AK in my head as first... We will see.
Thursday: Hollywood Studios/EPCOT? - I am thinking that HS will be just a half day park. I know we will want to do a few things there but I really don't think it will be a full day park. Maybe that could be our Tuesday park?
Friday: EPCOT/Animal Kingdom? - Thinking we will want to do Animal Kingdom twice? Maybe one visit to just to Pandora?
Saturday: Magic Kingdom
Sunday: Magic Kingdom - We always like to do MK on the last day. Kind of a favorite ride day choices kind of thing.

I am anxiously waiting for Septembers Park Hours to be released. Does anybody know when that usually is?

Hi! I popped over from my PTR.

Your plans sound great! Sanaa is such a wonderful restaurant. When DH and I had dinner there in 2012 we took some time After to walk around the property a bit. There were these giant fire pits surrounded by rocking chairs. We just sat with each other for a while. It really was lovely, a favorite moment of mine.

The hours are out! Well not "officially"

https://media.disneywebcontent.com/StaticFiles/ParkHours/WDW_TAC_2017Sep.pdf

Happy planning; can't wait to see what y'all come up with!

Following along we're going the week before you in September!
Welcome!!!! :welcome: Have you been in September before? How are the crowds? I think I saw that they are moderate for the time we are there, because of the holiday. But that's ok.

Your plans sound great! Sanaa is such a wonderful restaurant. When DH and I had dinner there in 2012 we took some time After to walk around the property a bit. There were these giant fire pits surrounded by rocking chairs. We just sat with each other for a while. It really was lovely, a favorite moment of mine.

The hours are out! Well not "officially"

https://media.disneywebcontent.com/StaticFiles/ParkHours/WDW_TAC_2017Sep.pdf
Welcome as well!!! :welcome:

Sanaa is def my top restaurant to try this trip. That and probably Tusker House. We love Indian food, so I assume we will love Sanaa.

Thanks for the link! Now I can really start my spreads sheets!

We've gone in September the last 2 years! Not much to compare it with because the only other time we went was early December, but I find the crowds to be quite light in September. That's part of the reason it's one of our favorite times to go.

So, I want to start a running list of items I want to try as I discover them from all of you lovely folks and your trip reports! These are my first 2 items. I know I have more to ad

Drinks Wish List:

Tikiti Punch
Snow Leopard Vodka and thirst-quenching Watermelon Lemonade
From @ArielSRL

Snacks Wish List:

Carrot Cake Cookie Sandwich
2 Carrot Cake soft cookies with Cream Cheese frosting
From @ariane37

Standard Rooms are still available for Wilderness Lodge.
Yay for WL! As you know, we will be there in June.

spend that day swimming and a nice dinner.
This is what we plan to do on arrival day because last year we hit MK and it just set the goal for us being behind the eight ball the whole trip. However, we have a different situation than you, because we drive down. We won't arrive until afternoon (we are 7 hours away) so I just don't want to cram a park day in. I actually added a night onto the beginning of our trip (compared to last year) so we could have that resort/DS evening without feeling like we are missing park time. If I had all day though, I might would go to a park for a few hours...maybe just for some evening entertainment, or the afternoon parade or something. It will be interesting to see what you guys end up deciding!

Tuesday will start out as a "lazy day" and turn into a park day sometime between now and when we go.
See above for my thoughts....

I have been wanting to go to Sanaa for awhile now, and I am thinking that It could be a good 40th birthday dinner.
Same here! We have it booked for June, though I double booked that day with a Tusker House ROL package. Hoping for a FP so I can drop the TH ADR and keep Sanaa.

• Sanaa - See above....
Looks good. We really enjoyed Tusker House last year. We are doing O'hana breakfast this year, as well as Sanaa. We have yet to do BOG dinner, but this will be our second year in a row to do lunch.

My name is Ariella
So Little Mermaid like...I'm envious! If I had had a little girl, I would've possibly named her Ariel!

I am turning 40 this year (as mentioned above) and we have been "discussing" way to celebrate for awhile.
Wahoo! 40 is a great birthday. I am 43 and honestly, I don't mind it one bit. And most people are shocked when I tell them my age.

But he caught the bug on the first trip.
Fingers crossed that my DH does the same. He hasn't been in 35 years! So its like starting over. He does have some anxiety and crowd issues so I have to be a very good planner so that we avoid as much of that as possible. But I have dreams that he will become enthralled like me!

the last two folks in our party our two DD's, Morgan and Gwen.
Such cuties!

She is in 1st grade and wishes she was a teenager already.
I am a first grade teacher so I completely understand this sentence...lol.

Beaches & Cream
I have this as a new one for us, as well. I have considered dropping it as we are double booked that day with a PPO ADR at Hollywood & Vine...but I truly don't want to. We shall see.

I am anxiously waiting for Septembers Park Hours to be released. Does anybody know when that usually is?
I was going to speak to this but I see that @MissMaryQC already pointed you in the right direction. Though they will change before your trip, of this I am certain.

Tikiti Punch
From @ArielSRL
Yep, definitely on my list!

Love your restaurant choices! Between 'Ohana breakfast and dinner I'd pick dinner, simply because we've found a few other places on property where we prefer breakfast. Of course if it's about the characters then by all means, 'Ohana breakfast!
Glad to see the carrot cake cookie in there and I hope you guys love it as much as I do :love: I may make you repeat yourself if you've told me this before, but have you had the avocado margarita or grey goose slush, both in Epcot? Those have to be my 2 favorite adult beverages in Disney in case you're looking to make that particular list any longer lol

Ok, I looked at my adult drink list from AK:

Frozen Coke and Rum at Isle of Java
Tikiti Punch or Sugar Cane Mojito from Dawa Bar
Pineapple Dole Whip Cup with Rum from Tamu Tamu
Himalayan Ghost from Thirsty River
And I have 7 marked from Nomad's Lounge: Annapurna Zing, Dalang's Delight, Leaping Lizard, Sinaloa Sangria, Boto-Rita, Hightower Rocks, Jenn's Tattoo.

Oh and if I end up getting lunch at Yak&Yeti Local Food Cafe, they have a sangria, as well.

Also, last year I got the Frozen Mango Rum Lemonade from Feeding Ground (one of the carts by It's Tough to Be a Bug) and it was good.

So, as you can see, I will be passed out at AK....lol.

Eh, I guess I'll just have to choose 1 or 2...or 3....drinks. That is going to be kind of rough, I think. So many sound sooooo good!

Yay for WL! As you know, we will be there in June.
We love Wilderness Lodge! I am afraid that it will become more popular with the new bar and extra DVC coming in. I do want to stay at Beach Club and Animal Kingdom Lodge with a Savannah View one day.

If I had all day though, I might would go to a park for a few hours...maybe just for some evening entertainment, or the afternoon parade or something. It will be interesting to see what you guys end up deciding!
Funny, you say that. I was talking to DH about the "plans" and I think I sold him on Flying out early Tuesday morning, swim at WL then head to Sannaa for an early dinner. And then maybe go to EPCOT. As of now, it will be EMH there.

Looks good. We really enjoyed Tusker House last year. We are doing O'hana breakfast this year, as well as Sanaa. We have yet to do BOG dinner, but this will be our second year in a row to do lunch.
BOG dinner is the best in my oppion. We did BOG breakfast once and it was too much hustle and bustle for us. I like the calm state of the dinner. We haven't done lunch yet. Plus you can meet the Beast at dinner. Although, that is the ONLY meet n greet that my girls were afraid at. He is quiet large!

My girlfriend did Tusker House on there visit last year, and she loved it. She said the food was just as good as BOMA. And we love BOMA.

So Little Mermaid like...I'm envious! If I had had a little girl, I would've possibly named her Ariel!
Thanks! I didn't like my name as a kid, too many people didn't know how to pronounce it. But now as an adult I have embraced it.

Wahoo! 40 is a great birthday. I am 43 and honestly, I don't mind it one bit. And most people are shocked when I tell them my age.
It think people are surpised that I am actually ok with turning 40.

Fingers crossed that my DH does the same. He hasn't been in 35 years! So its like starting over. He does have some anxiety and crowd issues so I have to be a very good planner so that we avoid as much of that as possible. But I have dreams that he will become enthralled like me!
I think the trick is (personally) to just make it as care free as possible. I know enough of what and where we needed to be most times. That my DH could actually relax. I mean there is still those moments every family has. But I think that is why he likes it so much. I hope the pixie dust work on your DH.

I am a first grade teacher so I completely understand this sentence...lol.
Ha! I am sure. And I want to thank you for being a teacher! I don't know how you do it! I come in for class parties and an hour is exhausting!

I have this as a new one for us, as well. I have considered dropping it as we are double booked that day with a PPO ADR at Hollywood & Vine...but I truly don't want to. We shall see.
I will have a post later. Beaches and Cream is my wishy washy choice! I have gone round and round on the best 5th dining choice. More to come on that. If I can find more unintrupted time .

Love your restaurant choices! Between 'Ohana breakfast and dinner I'd pick dinner, simply because we've found a few other places on property where we prefer breakfast. Of course if it's about the characters then by all means, 'Ohana breakfast!
I am also leaning towards dinner this trip and saving breakfast for another trip. In general we perfer to eat light breakfasts as it is.

may make you repeat yourself if you've told me this before, but have you had the avocado margarita or grey goose slush, both in Epcot? T
So, I have not had the avacado margarita yet. I wanted to try it on our trip this Feb. But by the time we got to Mexico we getting tired. (and full). But I think I will add it to the list. And I have NOT had the grey goose slush. I almost got this, also this past trip. But I opted for the Ice Cream Martini from the L'Artisan des Glaces. It was good but SUPER strong. I think I might like the slush better.

Frozen Coke and Rum at Isle of Java
Tikiti Punch or Sugar Cane Mojito from Dawa Bar
Pineapple Dole Whip Cup with Rum from Tamu Tamu
Himalayan Ghost from Thirsty River
And I have 7 marked from Nomad's Lounge: Annapurna Zing, Dalang's Delight, Leaping Lizard, Sinaloa Sangria, Boto-Rita, Hightower Rocks, Jenn's Tattoo.
Here is the problem.... I want all of those!!! But I wouldn't make it out of the park!

Drinks Wish List:

Tikiti Punch
From @ArielSRL

Grey Goose Slush
Grand Marnier, Rum and Grey Goose Orange and Orange Juice
From @ariane37

Avocado Margarita
Now that I am looking at the list, there are a few I might want to try. Wild Passion Fruit and/or Pineapple?!?
From @ariane37

Dole Whip w/ Rum
Do I go with Dark Run or Coconut Rum?
From @ArielSRL

Himalayan Ghost
Snow Leopard Vodka, Guava, and Odwalla® Lemonade
From @ArielSRL

Snacks Wish List:

Carrot Cake Cookie Sandwich
2 Carrot Cake soft cookies with Cream Cheese frosting
From @ariane37

Croque Glace
1 scoop with choice of Sauce in a Homemade Brioche, pressed warm

As a completely side note, I wish you could sort the dinning choices on Disney's website for EPCOT by country.

Hi Everyone! It was BEAUTIFUL weather here in Jersey the last two days. Some good playing outside, getting some sun days!

So, I took the very tentative schedule that @MissMaryQC shared with me. And started a tentative plan.

Tuesday: Fly in early AM, Swim @ the WL pool, Early Dinner at Sanaa and then maybe EMH @ EPCOT
Wednesday: Magic Kingdom, It's possible Evening EMH that night. So, we would go in the morning, come back rest/swim, then head back for dinner and late night fun. Skipper Canteen for dinner
Thursday: Animal Kingdom with Tusker House for lunch or dinner. Possibly ROL package?
Friday: Magic Kingdom in the morning to take advantage of AM EMH, then go back to WL rest/swim then head to EPCOT?
Saturday: Animal Kingdom in the morning to take advantage of AM EMH, see anything we missed on Thursday? I am thinking we may want to do Pandora then? But all of that is a big mystery right now, head by to WL rest/swim and then do Magic Kingdom for dinner and evening fun. Maybe Ohana before going into the park.
Sunday: Hollywood Studio. We would need to pack up and get out EARLY So, I don't know about this. I considered doing breakfast and swimming... This day is really up in the air.

I am very unsure of most of this, but it's early, so that is ok. But it leads to my issue with dinning...

I DEF want to do Tusker House & Sanaa so those are my def choices. I was talking to DH and he said he would rather do Skipper Canteen than BOG. Which I am ok with. I wanted to give BOQ another try at dinner. But we loved Skipper Canteen last time. And the girls were asking about the mini chocolate volcanos they had there. So, I think I will make that switch.

I think I am leaning towards dinner for Ohana. The girls love dumplings, so I know they could just eat those and be happy. And I know Morgan will enjoy the skewered meat.

Which leaves me one last TS to choose. Here are my thoughts and clear lack of decision making!
  • Beaches and Cream: I really want to try this but I think we will do the dinning plan this trip and it seems a little bit of a waste of a place to go. Plus I really want to do the Kitchen Sink! I thought about doing breakfast at
  • Whispering Canyon: since it would be easy, maybe on our departure day... Get breakfast then swim before we have to head to the airport.
  • Trattoria al Forno for Breakfast: I like the idea of a new breakfast place, the food looks at least a bit different. And the girls would love to meet the Prince's from there. But getting over there might be a pain from WL and not sure where we would fit it in.
  • Homecoming: I still want to try this but I am not sure we will want to make the journey to DS this trip.
  • Maybe a restaurant in EPCOT but I find that silly with Food & Wine going on. And DH mentioned not going to EPCOT at all.
  • HS has such just ok restaurants in it. Maybe another restaurant at a resort that wouldn't be too hard to get too.
I feel like I am choosing between my kids! Why is this so hard!?! This happens to me every time. I end up one TS short. It's weird!

And then I totally forgot about the possibility of doing a Mickey's Not So Scary parties! I was catching up on @Raeven PTR, and it was like a revelation that, that would be happening! So, I am not sure how that will fit in. OR if we will want to do it. So, we will see.

So, those are my thoughts at the moment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter