Semi Spin off! Will you be getting the DDP if FD is not offered?

The math has never worked for us so we have always taken the room discount and paid OOP for dining. Every time I run the numbers, we come out ahead by just paying for what we want. We rarely want snacks, desserts are too much after all that dang food, and we feel like we would need to choose our ADRs differently/more to get bang for the buck if we picked the plan. Instead, we just do exactly what we want and pay. We do quite a few character meals and usually one TS per day. But other than that, haven't found the DDP to really add anything for us.

This.

DDP has never worked out for us. I used to think I was nuts, believing I was the only guy on the planet who didn't "get" the benefit of DDP, or was miscalculating whether it truly benefitted us....then I realized it just didn't work for us. We eat breakfasts in the room, and there's no way we'll do two full meals (lunch/dinner) every day, particularly in that Florida heat this June. Besides, we're staying on-property with our own car, so we like having the option of a meal at a nice local place should we choose. And I surely don't want to feel compelled to eat more than I really want just to rationalize having spent more for the DDP.

DDP is very much about the psychology of selling convenience, eg stick an extra $1k or $2k (or whatever) onto the package and it makes the meals "seem" free. I think Disney is going to skip any free dining this year to see how much, if at all, its absence affects DDP purchases going forward as part of their stated "wean the public off discounts" mentality. We'll see.

We get it even when not free. We do too many character meals to not do it. By having the plan, it saves us. We also always get the deluxe as we love signature meals and character meals. The better of the 2 world IMO. we have yet to pay more for the plan then what we get.

I am getting it regardless. There are so many restaurants I want to try and it just seems like it will be worth it to me.

We'll pay for the DDP in September if it isn't free. We love character buffets, my kids are big snackers, and I love the convenience of not having to worry about how much we've spent paying OOP. :)

We were lucky enough to have FD our last two trips and enjoyed it.

However our next trip all the kids would be Disney adults and there's no way they would eat that amount of food. So, we wouldn't pay for it if FD wasn't offered.

Our next trip I would probably like to have less ressies and just go with the flow. I found we wasted a lot of food. It was rushed in the morning trying to get breakfasts in the food court when the kids were just as happy with cereal in the room. There were lots of things I wanted to try that weren't on the DP (like the waffle sandwiches at Sleepy Hollow!) so I would like the freedom to get what I want, when I want it.

But again, if it was free, hey, I'd take it. :thumbsup2 It's a much better discount for us.

Right now I have it booked but more than likely if there isn't free dining for December I will drop it. My son does not eat enough to justify paying for it for him.

No.

In fact, without free dining, I'll cancel our reservation and we'll stay offsite unless I get a great pin code. It seems the room rates have gone through the roof compared to last year. Disney's quoting me $117 a night at the All Stars for mid-September. Crazy! I can rent a nice condo or small pool home for less, even when you add in parking.

The September free dining release date and promo dates were leaked/confirmed yesterday on the Codes and Rates board. The FD dates will be September 2-25, 2013 and the booking will open on May 9 :-)

The September free dining release date and promo dates were leaked/confirmed yesterday on the Codes and Rates board. The FD dates will be September 2-25, 2013 and the booking will open on May 9 :-)

Thanks for sharing; this is very good news.

Maybe, there will be hope for winter, too with FD.

Disney would have to pay ME to take the DDP. We save more money with a decent room only discount than we would with FD, and I don't like the restrictions that the DDP places on us. I want to eat what I want, not what would make the most $$$ sense on the plan.

:thumbsup2 I agree! We don't eat that much food, also most people don't add or factor in all the extra they pay in tips because of the cost of all that food - the most expensive entrees, desserts, drinks, etc. We seldom eat dessert with our meal (prefer a snack later) also only drink water with our meals.

Just can't understand how so many people look at it as a convenience. What could be any more convenient than handing them your rm. card to charge to, that's in essence what they are doing anyway. Disney loves people like that. :confused3

Or, if paying your credit card off once you rec. the statement is an issue, just put all your dining money on a GC (prepaid, just like a DDP).

Yes. We are already booked in NOV with the DDP added. If it ends up being free, than BONUS :cool1:
But if not, its already almost paid for anyway.We have not made a Disney trip yet without dining.

Last trip, I had the option of FD or a RO discount PIN. I paid for the DP and used the PIN code. I don't need to justify why the DP is a money-saver for me (1 adult, 1 child - LOTS of character meals, LOL) but the room only code saved me more than FD by a few dollars. My TA ran the numbers for me so I am not sure how much different exactly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter