Selling DVC any sellers remorse?

Discussion in 'Purchasing DVC' started by dlm1017, Apr 1, 2014.

  1. dlm1017

    dlm1017 Mouseketeer

    Aug 13, 2009
    I listed my DVC through the Timeshare Store. Put it out there at a price that I thought I was willing to let it go for. I received an offer today for less but not a bad price. I am just having trouble letting go. I still have another contract for 175 pts so its not like I am going to be without ANY points but still..... :worried:

    I know in the practical side of my brain I should sell but my emotional side is having trouble :sad2:

    Has anyone been through this? any trouble "letting go"?:confused3
  2. Lorilais_mommie

    Lorilais_mommie " They can drink pepsi, but they can't pee in the

    Jan 10, 2010
    I don't know the feeling, but I thought I'd offer what I've read lately.. I think this happens a lot.. Just the other day on the ROFR.. Clearly a seller backed out of the deal.. I had a seller pull a listing, before even giving me an answer on my offer... I know people on here say leave emotion at the door when buying or selling DVC.. But I couldn't when I was buying, so I wouldn't expect a seller to.. I think it's hard b/c it means less Disney time.... I bet you've had wonderful times at the resorts in which you used those points.. In away you are saying I'm done with that part and moving on...
  3. Avatar

    DIS Sponsor Disney Vacation Club Resales

  4. CMOORE185

    CMOORE185 HH 240 Points, SSR 260 Points

    Mar 12, 2009
    If you are having doubts stick to your original price, you will then feel a little better if it sells.
  5. ELMC

    ELMC DIS Veteran

    Jul 4, 2011
    If you put your contract up for sale, it was probably for a good reason. It's ok to feel a bit sad, but you shouldn't let that stand in the way of doing what is probably best for you. You still have 175 points and you never know, maybe you'll buy again in the future and prices will be lower. :) Good luck with the sale.
  6. DVC Doctor

    DVC Doctor Member since 2001 DVC Gold

    Mar 19, 2014
    The only contract I ever sold was to change resorts. So when I sold I just bought at a new resort.
  7. DougEMG

    DougEMG DIS Veteran

    Aug 14, 2008
    I would look at why are you selling and are those still valid reasons for you to sell.

    I sold one of my contracts in order to make what I considered to be a nice profit. Did I have second doubts about it, sure, but my original reasons still made the most since.

    Good luck with you decision and don't try and second guess yourself.
  8. bakerworld

    bakerworld DIS Veteran

    May 24, 2010
  9. disneynutz

    disneynutz DIS Veteran DIS Lifetime Sponsor

    Dec 11, 2006
    People by nature have a hard time getting rid of things. That's why some sellers take forever to complete the sale.

    We have met several owners who just let their points expire because someday they intend to vacation again at WDW.

    :earsboy: Bill

  10. ClarabelleCow

    ClarabelleCow Where did my tag go? Oh fairy, can you help me?

    Aug 7, 2002
    If your happy with the price go for it. But, stick to your guns, I just sold one and feel I let it go to low. We didnt need the money (well we need it, just not in need right now), and my only regret is we didnt counter for a few more dollars.
  11. CarolynMink

    CarolynMink Mouseketeer

    Sep 25, 2005
    I do know how you feel. I have talked about selling one of my small contracts and I keep talking myself out of it. Everyone sells for different reasons, and if you put it up you are probably ready to let go. Good Luck.
  12. dbs1228

    dbs1228 DIS Veteran

    Feb 24, 2010
  13. judydvc

    judydvc DVC veteran

    May 29, 2005
    I know how you feel. Last week I listed my big contract (150 points @ BWV) and when I got the email from TTS that someone wanted to buy my contract I felt a little sad. I still have 2 small contracts which I use more. But then I thought how nice some other family will get to enjoy Disney vacations!
  14. ClarabelleCow

    ClarabelleCow Where did my tag go? Oh fairy, can you help me?

    Aug 7, 2002
    Just to add, closed in May and just this week my family decided they wanted to go!! So paying cash for the CR. Ouch!! But in reality we probably won't go for another 2-3 years, so while this 5 night trip is costing me 2 years worth of what I would have paid in maintenance. It's kind of a wash. Plus I even tried renting points and NOTHING available. Not even studios. Which was my biggest issue. I can no longer plan 11 months out. This trip is 5 months out and no room on points.
  15. BWVPam

    BWVPam Loves being at WDW!

    Nov 23, 1999
    In 2006 we decided to sell our 70 point contract at the Beach Club. We did it because we needed to buy our oldest a car and then add him to the insurance, etc. and felt that financially it was better for us not to have that contract. We kept our 150 point contract at the Boardwalk. We made a huge profit on the points because it was a smaller contract and it sold the first day we listed it ($30 above what we paid for it). we were able to pay off the balance of the Boardwalk contract and lower our monthly payments by not paying on two DVC loans. Anyway, we have always regreted losing those points. Now, we are in a better place financially and have just decided to add on a contract at Old Key West (150 points) through a resale. Still getting those points for less than what we paid on either of our first two contracts.

    I guess the point is that if you need to sell now for financial reasons, then let it go. You can always buy more later if you decide your don't have enough points.
  16. JimMIA

    JimMIA There's more to life than mice...

    Feb 16, 2005

    Everyone's reasons for selling are different and personal, but they are either valid or not. Most likely, your rational side is acting in your best interests and your emotional side is just doing what it is supposed to do.

    Follow Doug's suggestion and look back at your reasons for listing for sale in the first place. Those reasons are probably still valid. Your emotional attachment to something you invested big bucks in and enjoyed is to be expected...but maybe not followed.

    If selling that contract is in your family's best interests, sell and move on.
  17. LoveBWVVBR

    LoveBWVVBR DIS Veteran

    Oct 14, 2005
    THIS is probably the biggest reason we are going to sell our BWV contract. We just can't find ANYTHING available anymore. In the past we were always borrowed into the next use year. This year we have 88 points just sitting there that we will likely have to bank because we can't get anything with them that we can actually use. We are beyond frustrated.

    To add insult to injury, we have traded in via RCI using live inventory (not even an ongoing search) for dates that we cannot get with our DVC points. Being that this option is also significantly cheaper, we have just about given up on DVC:sad2:

    To answer your question, I doubt we will feel remorse. We will probably feel sadness, but no more than the sadness we already feel about having points that are all but useless at anything but the 11 month window at one resort.
  18. z28wiz

    z28wiz DIS Veteran

    Feb 6, 2003
    I have had perfect luck at the 11 month mark and so far the 7 month mark, But anything less is very hard tat he popular resorts. DVC is really for someone who wants to plan 11-7 months out. I actually got SSR 1 bedroom this past week the day before arrival for all my days and also got a week at Gand Floridan in a 2 bedroom standard view for Presidents day week at the 7 month mark.

    When are you trying to book under 7 months?
  19. mort1331

    mort1331 DIS Veteran

    Jul 15, 2012
    We just were told we made it by ROFR on our 2nd contract. We purchased this because we know its a better UY for us. Feb as opposed to Apr. both at SSR, but Apr has 220 and Feb 200. Once papers and payment are done, we are thinking about selling the Apr. There wouldn't be remorse, but we might keep it and rent for a few years and use it for bigger rooms when the kids are bigger. That is our thinking.
  20. Pig Pen

    Pig Pen To all who have come to this happy place...welcome

    Nov 4, 2001
    I am sitting here awaiting my check from the sale of our DVC. We had 12 years of wonderful vacations but now live near WDW.

    I am sad but we need a new roof and this was a way to come up with some quick cash. (We listed in March, got an offer in May, and should be closing any day now).
  21. Cheeky in TN

    Cheeky in TN Counting down the days till the next trip

    Jun 7, 2005
    We sold in 2011 as our family grew to 5 and we only had 150 points, so staying in 2 bedrooms did not work - at the time most resorts did not allow or were not built for 5 in a 1 bedroom. Also, it was around the time the rules were changing on how resales could access the other DVC features, so we were able to sell on the first day at a premium. We had alot of doubt/regret, but tried to remind ourselves of our changing needs and finances.

    Good news is with the changes regarding 5 in 1 bedroom and changing finances, we are waiting ROFR on SSR DVC that we could pay cash for. Hopefully it passes, as we feel we got a good deal on it. We like SSR and typically can get the room we want and willing to stay at AKV also which seems to have availability. Hoping to stay at Boardwalk someday again, but availability is a bit tougher there. We are happy just to be able to stay DVC again. If needed, I feel we could sale again with minimal loss.

Share This Page