Select photopass locations to be replaced by automated cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
It appears this will begin 11/26 and be at 9 indoor photo locations. There will still be over 100 regular photopass photographers out and about. The automated systems will take photos throughout the entire experience. Universal also does this already at some of their photo locations.

I can see your above post as what we are all about to receive as an email response...but they will emphasize the over 100 regular photographers point..

From what I understood though, the Universal locations with automated photos are not character locations/meet and greets. I could totally see Disney adding some random unmanned photobooths where you could get a quick group photo. But M&G are different - there are so many small interactions that happen, and when a photog captures them it's pure magic.
Universal does sometimes have characters at those locations but not all the time.

It appears this will begin 11/26 and be at 9 indoor photo locations. There will still be over 100 regular photopass photographers out and about. The automated systems will take photos throughout the entire experience. Universal also does this already at some of their photo locations.

I don’t do M&G, but as an avid photographer, there is no way a box camera taking shots every so many seconds is going to be able to produce the same quality of photos as a live person who times the shots based on what is actually happening in the room. My concerns would also be with framing and focus. Are the cameras smart enough to make sure people aren’t missing their heads, or that they aren’t halfway out of the shot on one side or the other? A photographer focuses on the eyes of their portrait subject for the best results. Where is the box focusing? What if the group is just slightly too close or too far? You can’t fix an out of focus photo in Photoshop. My guess is these photos are now going to be about the same quality as ride photos, and I have never had a properly exposed and focused ride photo yet.

As a passholder with photos included, I would be upset with a subpar product. But if I had purchased this specifically, I would be very angry if the photos are anything less than what was provided in the past. People expend a lot of time and energy to get those character photos, not to mention the expense. To me, it would almost make more sense to automate some of the outdoor scenic shots and keep the human photographers for the more fluid M&G.

Gotta love Disney thinking sometimes...

Disney: We are raising the price of the AP's an average of 15%, but don't worry, we are now throwing in Memory Maker.

Us: Don't really like the price hike, but it is nice having the Memory Maker

Disney: Ok, now we are raising the AP's an average of 10-15% again, not giving you anything else, and we are now going to cheapen the memory maker product

Us: TBD

Isn't that how Uni does it? I know there's one by the DeLorean, saw it Sunday.

Not sure on their other photos though, but I'm pretty sure the minions had a live photographer...
When I was last there in September, the minions had a live photographer with the tripod carried out and an attendant there who was willing to play with my cell phone taking photos. Same thing with sponge bob storepants

we were never photopass people before I became an AP. The photos are truly magical and a huge part of our vacation. Looks like we won't be purchasing for our next trip.

Gotta love Disney thinking sometimes...

Disney: We are raising the price of the AP's an average of 15%, but don't worry, we are now throwing in Memory Maker.

Us: Don't really like the price hike, but it is nice having the Memory Maker

Disney: Ok, now we are raising the AP's an average of 10-15% again, not giving you anything else, and we are now going to cheapen the memory maker product

Us: TBD
Unrelated but add to the cheapening of AP value the fact that discounts have been diminished (we were told they were doing away with any remaining quick serve/snack discounts at the end of the year)

we were never photopass people before I became an AP. The photos are truly magical and a huge part of our vacation. Looks like we won't be purchasing for our next trip.
The same the only reason I have gold is for photopass and if it weren’t for doing RunDisney (which during wine and dine we got pretty much no on course candids taken) I’d save by going back to silver

Unrelated but add to the cheapening of AP value the fact that discounts have been diminished (we were told they were doing away with any remaining quick serve/snack discounts at the end of the year)

The same the only reason I have gold is for photopass and if it weren’t for doing RunDisney (which during wine and dine we got pretty much no on course candids taken) I’d save by going back to silver

I wish I had AP options but I'm out of state. unfortunately, I let my AP expire and won't be renewing. Everything went up too much too fast. 10-15% added up quickly.

I don’t like this at all and I have a pretty high tolerance for changes at WDW. I usually withhold judgment until I can experience it for myself, but I just can’t see myself being happy with this.

We have had Photopass photographers capture some really special and outstanding character moments. Taking photos from different angles, getting our kids (as babies) to look at the camera.

I guess I’ll find out how I truly feel about this when we visit in January. I’m sure we’ll be seeing at least one of the characters this applies to.

I can’t believe I’ve never used my discount at any of the quick serves or snack places... all that money I could’ve saved :p

One of the reasons I bought the kind of ticket I did was because memory maker was included. (Not directly bought from Disney). If I knew this I might wouldn't have chosen these tickets. You think I have a shot at getting the memory maker refunded by Disney?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!