Seeing Billy Hill

deanimal

DIS Veteran
It looks like Billy Hill and the Hillbillies will be playing at big thunder ranch jamboree when we're there next week, and we're hoping to see them, but I have a few questions. What is the venue like? Is it part of the big thunder BBQ or is it a separate performance venue? Is food served there? It looks like the only restaurant in the area is the big thunder BBQ, but we're not really interested in eating there. Is it fairly convenient to buy a burger somewhere else and bring it there to eat? Is it bleacher like seating or tables and chairs? We're kind of planning to see than while we take a lunch break, but that plan was based on their old venue. Has anyone seen them at their new site that can help me out?

It's a separate area. Big festival area with a tent like structure giving shade. They have several wooden benches, no backs, to sit on. I know I have a picture of it so I will dig one up. It is unfortunately not as ideal as the Golden Horseshoe. I commented to the CM's working the event that the Billy's need to go back to the GH and they told me to take the message to City Hall. I guess a few people are unhappy about it.

No food in there but one stand was selling bottles of coke products.

I got the impression this was a temporary move. :confused3
Any word on if this show will be moved back to the GH?

We wandered back there this summer and caught half their show. I did like that it was so open and there was lots of room to sit.

We went the first week in July and this is what the venue looked like then:

July2012190_zpse073aae0.jpg

July2012201_zpsdd51eb2b.jpg

July2012181_zps985d4e60.jpg

As you can see in the last picture, seating was folding chairs in rows, no tables.

Thanks for the great pictures! I'm kind of sorry that they moved since it seems that it would be nicer to see them while having lunch. Oh well, its helpful to see the venue. We'll just have to see how it works out.

I agree that seeing Billy Hill was great being able to have lunch at the GH, but there wasn't a lot of seating and the congestion with ordering and finding seats among everyone...blah. :rotfl2:

Did I miss it, but is there food allowed in or is it just a show?

Updated seating ---- taken from miceage's updates

This was the exact kind of seating we had in July of this year.

billyhill_zps0ffcde2c.jpg

Updated seating ---- taken from miceage's updates

This was the exact kind of seating we had in July of this year.

billyhill_zps0ffcde2c.jpg

Wow! That is very different! What part of July were you there? Our pictures were taken on July 2nd of this year.

I got the impression this was a temporary move. :confused3
Any word on if this show will be moved back to the GH?

From what I have heard they intended the change to be permanent, unless food sales drop tremendously at GH. This provides an extra venue for Disney with very little extra money being spent. This gives them somewhere to put more people, easing congestion without decreasing park capacity and makes it seem to be less crowded, which reduces guest complaints.

It also means that they can have more people watching Billy Hill and the Hillbillies.

Wow! That is very different! What part of July were you there? Our pictures were taken on July 2nd of this year.

This is going to sound very strange because we were there from June 25 through July 4th. So we hit at the same time and saw a completely different setup for Billy Hill. We did it twice too which makes it even stranger. Could it be they changed it during our short time period??

This is going to sound very strange because we were there from June 25 through July 4th. So we hit at the same time and saw a completely different setup for Billy Hill. We did it twice too which makes it even stranger. Could it be they changed it during our short time period??

It is very possible, the move was still pretty new and they may have been experimenting with seating arrangements. It's not as if either arrangement were bolted down.

From what I have heard they intended the change to be permanent, unless food sales drop tremendously at GH. This provides an extra venue for Disney with very little extra money being spent. This gives them somewhere to put more people, easing congestion without decreasing park capacity and makes it seem to be less crowded, which reduces guest complaints.

It also means that they can have more people watching Billy Hill and the Hillbillies.

I was hoping they'd move them back to the Horseshoe.

How do they sound in that big open area?

I was hoping they'd move them back to the Horseshoe.

How do they sound in that big open area?

The sound is ok but the venue is definitely lacking. When you see them in the ultimate format of the Golden Horseshoe and then they get pushed back to here you just long for the original. I don't want to get flamed here for this but I don't care for the Laughing Stock Comedy show. They should be relegated to the festival area. Just my two cents. I know we all have our likes and dislikes.

I agree about not being excited about the Laughing Stock. We're were thinking I could send the DH and DD to get one of what looks like a few tables while I grab food from Village Hause. I dont think it's too far of a walk from one to the other. We used to get food from Rancho del Zaccalo and eat it during the Billy Hill Show at the GH...

In all the trips we have had over the years we hadn't taken the time to see the show.
On our last visit we saw them in the GH when we stopped in for a lunch break. We plan to see them on future visits now. My grandkids really enjoyed them.
I hope the new venue doesn't detract from the show for us.

Geemo

I also don't care much for Laughing Stock. I agree, put them in the Big Thunder Jamboree and let Billy and the Hillbillies have GH back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!