"See the Line Where the Guests Meet the Mouse? It Calls Me..." March 2017 *New Post 7/4*

I have mixed feelings about the new opening process at MK. On one hand, I 100% agree Disney needed to spread out the guests. That train station was a madhouse pre-opening. On the other hand, one of my favorite parts of my Disney vacation was walking onto a completely empty Main Street for a pre-park opening breakfast at CP. However, I'm not one to knock something before I try it, so I'm still holding out judgement until I experience the new opening for myself.

That bunny eating a flower was pretty cute.

I had no clue about the Maximus touches at the Tangled restrooms! Oh my goodness, that's so exciting. He's one of my favorite Disney animals; finding that spot is now a must do on my next MK visit.

Glad you spotted the nautilus in the Ariel queue. I think a lot of people think the subs look really cool despite not knowing much about 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. I'm not a huge steampunk fan, but the Tomorrowland section in DL Paris is amazing. Their nautilus walk through is really entertaining.

Sorry to hear your slush wasn't very tasty, but at least you got a nifty souvenir out of it!

While I have been lucky enough to be in a completely empty MK many times as a cast member, I don't think I ever entered MK for a PPO Breakfast reservation, so I don't have much in the means of comparison. Personally, I'm not a breakfast person so this way works better for me, but I'm sure there are many people who will miss their old routine.

I can't wait for you to see the Maximus details! Once you know what you're looking for, it's easy to find.

One day I know we will make it to DLP and that sounds like something awesome to see!

LOVED your morning at MK - you guys certainly have the right attitude regarding pace - I'm trying to be better about that myself. I'm curious about Skipper Canteen, too. Happy to get your review! :thumbsup2

I just try to keep in mind that I've been able to visit WDW multiple times in my life, so there will be another visit in the future, and no matter what I "miss out" on, I've gotten to do so much else!

This right here. It may seem strange, but I think this is what I'm looking forward to most on this next trip, so I'm so happy to hear you describe it this way!

:) It's just the absolute greatest moment! I swear sometimes I feel like the whole trip is worth it just for that!

You guys are cute!

We were there the exact same time as you (along with a billion other people). Seeing as though I lived in S. Texas for a while, I am interested to see how you coped with the weather and the crowds.

We went to Homecoming and it was fab! We had a sitter for the kids, or else we would've explored Disney Springs more. I'm pretty sure I could have stayed for 6 hours there too! Can't wait to hear your experience that week :)

Thanks! Oh...and we'll be talking about that weather. Oy.

I think we're just gonna have to see what Art Smith is cooking up for ourselves next time we're in WDW! So many rave reviews!

:wave: I'm a little late joining in but since you are only one the first park day there is still plenty left.

I do remember reading another one of your trip reports. Great start to this one!:thumbsup2

I'm a little late joining in but since you are only one the first park day there is still plenty left.

I do remember reading another one of your trip reports. Great start to this one!

Better late than never!! And like you said, we've only just begun!

We hope to have another update up very soon. Possibly tomorrow!

Just read your whole TR...you guys are adorable! Such a fun trip so far.
You guys both teach 8th grade? and Mathematics? Bless you

Just read your whole TR...you guys are adorable! Such a fun trip so far.
You guys both teach 8th grade? and Mathematics? Bless you

Thanks for joining in on the fun! My students LOVEEE seeing the pictures I have dressed in my Jungle Cruise costume hanging up in my room! Haha, nothing can prepare you better for talking to rowdy kids all day long than spieling on the JC!

Awww.. I love your energy. Wish I had it.

As for DS restaurants worth the money, I feel Morimoto Asia is worth every penny. Have the ribs. OMG!

Sunday, March 12th: A Magic Kingdom Park Day, Part Two

Our first park day of the trip was off to a great and relaxed start with breakfast, several attractions, and a leisurely lunch at the Skipper Canteen. Our lunch went from around 12 to 1:15 and our next Fastpass reservation was Splash Mountain at 1:35, so we wanted to stay in Adventureland before making our way back to Frontierland for that. The wait times for the Jungle Cruise and Pirates of the Caribbean were pretty high, so we decided to play a round of APATOSS (aka apple sauce). Scott was on the opening team for this attraction, so I will let him tell you all about it!

21juqeh.jpg

Scott: APATOSS stands for A Pirate’s Adventure: Treasure of the Seven Seas. AKA one of the most overlooked, underrated attractions in the Magic Kingdom. Basically, it’s a treasure hunt style game that takes place all throughout Adventureland. If you have time and energy to do it, do it. It’s something to do other than a ride or a show, and you get prizes!!! You can “enlist” in the small shack just outside of the Adventureland arch on the way to Frontierland. You’ll be given a map and a starting symbol. Find the symbol on the map and you’re on your way. The maps make great souvenirs, but I just love maps in general. Specifically treasure maps.

There were a few issues when APATOSS first opened, however:

1) Nobody knew what the heck it was, and often entered the tiny 50 square foot shack exclaiming, “Wait… this isn’t the ride?”…. So you came in, saw that this was a TINY ROOM, you allowed me to explain the game in its entirety, played along with our ridiculous antics, and THEN realized this wasn’t a ride? I literally had a woman tell me that she thought the wall was going to raise up and she’d walk forward onto a ride, which is particularly ridiculous if you’re familiar with the APATOSS headquarters. *facepalm*

2) It broke a lot. So there were countless times when someone would work hard completing all 5 maps, only to be stopped in their tracks halfway through the Blackbeard map because a certain touchpoint didn’t want to cooperate.

But the biggest problem came when a guest would complete a map, or possibly all 5, and ask, “What do I get?”… Uhhhhh the satisfaction of a job well done? I hated that there was no real prize. It was a treasure hunt! Where is the treasure?? I guess you gullible landlubbers didn’t know that Captain Jack is a greedy little man, who likes to keep the riches for himself, huh?

Well, it seems that they’ve remedied this little issue in a couple of ways. First, they now give out cards so that you can keep track of the treasures you’ve found.

28vd7kh.jpg

But even better… FASTPASSES!!! Free Pirates fastpasses for completing two maps! This is AMAZING! As cast members, we would recommend this idea CONSTANTLY. I hope this is something that stays around for a while. Now we wouldn’t have to waste a FP+ selection on Pirates. Albeit, we would have to do a bit of treasure hunting, but I knew this game like the back of my hand, so it’d only take a few minutes. And as I’ve said, I really love this game. If you’re in it strictly for the Fastpasses, I would ask the cast member working the game if they were still giving them out. This seems like something they may change, and I’d hate for you to work hard finishing your two maps only to be denied these Fastpasses that we’ve promised.

2m34iua.jpg

2cs9gl2.jpg

33jh4jr.jpg

35d6fmd.jpg

After we finished the Haven Defense map, we headed to Splash Mountain for our FP.

2a92xk0.jpg

I keep a very lightweight North Face rain jacket in my backpack, so I made sure to pull it out and zip it all the way up, which Scott thought made for a great photo op.

2iup3s4.jpg

I used to always tell Scott that Splash Mountain was my favorite ride, yet I never seemed to want to ride it! When I was little, I loved Splash Mountain so much that I took home a B’rer Rabbit plush. But once I got older, well…getting splashed with ride water was never something that excited me very much, haha! However, after this go around, I knew that I’d be riding Splash Mountain at least one more time on this trip, it was just so fun!

4jxqc3.jpg

2mczmlc.png

Splash Mountain was our third Fastpass for the day, so we hopped on the MDE app to check out options for our rolling Fastpass. Now that Disney isn’t utilizing the second set of tapstiles for redeeming your Fastpass (only the first set when you enter the line), you can get your 4th Fastpasses and on as soon as you tap your bands and enter the line. At 2pm, we grabbed a FP for it’s a small world at 2:05, woo!

We made our way to Fantasyland and of course our Fastpass was ready before we even got there. We took the happiest little cruise, and this was a great place to use a FP because there was around a 30 minute line, but no one else in the FP line so we walked right on, score! While in line, we picked up a FP for the Jungle Cruise at 5:15.

5cddhc.jpg

wgvnm9.jpg

8wfrkj.jpg

9tl938.jpg

Scott: I've heard that the cowboy and the native American are the only two American characters in this ride.

We were already in Fantasyland and we love the Festival of Fantasy parade, so we decided to find somewhere to watch that. We stood under the awning in Liberty Square next to Hall of Presidents. The parade passed by this location at 2:45pm, quite a bit earlier than we expected. I’m not sure if that’s typical or if they stepped off a bit early because it looked like it was going to rain.

153sev9.jpg

3537a8i.jpg

2aagepi.jpg

a4lmgz.jpg

1twowx.jpg

2dtvj3d.jpg

2gudu37.jpg

2cyk76f.jpg

j6r7kx.jpg

2hn75hv.jpg

izrllx.jpg

4gnjiw.jpg

ega2wn.jpg

2i92q2g.jpg

2rgz6e9.jpg

2rot4xt.jpg

2j14j0m.jpg

2586pgm.jpg

Scott: Alright I went a little picture crazy, but I love this parade. The costumes and floats are spectacular. Personal opinion? Huge upgrade from the Celebrate a Dream Come True parade.

All of the performers in this parade were so on point, and truly a pleasure to watch!

After the parade, we still had a couple hours to pass while we waited for our JC FP. I had my heart set on a classic Disney treat that I somehow never remember to get, a Mickey’s Premium Ice Cream Bar! Since this treat is perfectly portable, we decided to do another APATOSS map, and got King’s Ransom.

wvpx53.jpg

69jo14.jpg

After we completed our two maps, we were able to get Fastpasses for Pirates of the Caribbean and we used them right then at about 3:30.

4g672c.jpg

The process for actually getting the Fastpasses didn’t seem totally regulated to be honest, haha. Some people were getting the maps that they had completed stamped, or showing the cast member the cards they had collected. I think the cast member just asked us how many maps we had completed and we told her two and she gave us the Fastpasses.

20kxilz.jpg

r289vm.jpg

Scott: Pirates fun fact? I don't know how valid this is, and actually I think Alli told me this one. But there are 3 fountains in Caribbean Plaza.. Well.. They were fountains at one point. Now they're just planters. Sad. Anyway, theres one near the Pirates stroller parking, one next to the stage where they perform the Pirate Tutorial show, and one is actually in the little court area inside of the Pirates queue.

2cdjvq8.jpg

jgsehd.jpg

This one is a getting a little overgrown. Pay no attention to the lady.

iptop0.jpg

If you find these ex-fountains, you'll notice that they form a triangle of sorts...

28subdt.png

Like maybe the Bermuda Triangle? And did you also know that the entrance to the Pirate ride wasn't always where it is now? You once entered the queue from where Pirates guests now park their scooters. Right next to clock tower. In the very center of this imaginary (Bermuda) triangle! If all of this was really a coincidence, lets make it fact. Tell all of your friends that it has to be true because you read it on the internet.

At this point in our Magic Kingdom day, we realized that we hadn’t spent much time in Tomorrowland, so we decided to head there, even though our next Fastpass would be back in Adventureland.

257j3v6.jpg

Scott: I dislike the new blue rocks. I loved the red ones. Any thoughts?

We decided to hop right into the Carousel of Progress, a classic favorite. Unfortunately, a young girl in front of us Snapchatted through the ENTIRE show. Oy. The light from your screen has an effect on all of the people around you!

jj69ow.jpg

120t1tl.jpg

After our trip through history, we needed a snack. We decided on one of our absolute favorites, the cream cheese pretzel from The Lunching Pad. You used to be able to find the special pretzels in a lot more locations than you can now it seems. We also got our first DISNEY SODA!!! If you are a serious Coca-Cola lover like me, I’m curious for you to answer this: Does soda on WDW property taste better to you? It’s like they have the exact right ratio of soda syrup to soda water or something. It’s just so refreshing and delicious. So of course, we needed pictures with our faves!

34pi543.jpg

b96dy.jpg

We went for a ride on the Peoplemover, which was as delightful and relaxing as ever. We do worry about this attraction going away, like it did in Disneyland, it would be a big loss!

2zpv91e.jpg

Okay, we’re going to wrap it up here and then finish out our night at the Magic Kingdom in our next update.

Thanks for reading along! I hope our words and pictures bring you some Disney magic, wherever you’re reading from!

Click here to finish out our Magic Kingdom day!!!

Last edited:
Count me as one of those guests that always overlook APATOSS. Shameful, I know. The next time in the MK without my toddlers, I'll have to give it a try. Pirates Fastpasses are always a win!

I agree with you on Splash. It's such a fun attraction, but getting splashed with water isn't the best. Looks like you guys were in the back row, though, so that had to help reduce the wetness factor, a little. Maybe? :confused3

That rolling Fastpass tidbit is a good thing to know. I figured you had to wait until after the attraction to book more. I am learning something new every update! I'm going to go into my next trip with a whole new world of Disney knowledge. :thumbsup2

I dislike the new blue rocks. I loved the red ones.
As soon as I looked at the picture I thought - oooh, what's with the rocks?! :sad2:

We decided on one of our absolute favorites, the cream cheese pretzel from The Lunching Pad.
YES!!! One of my faves, too.

Does soda on WDW property taste better to you?
I haven't thought specifically about Disney soda, but everything else typically tastes better on property so... I'll say yes! :thumbsup2

I hope our words and pictures bring you some Disney magic, wherever you’re reading fro
Yes! Thank you :goodvibes

Great updates! I had no idea about the hidden gem that is APATOSS. We may have to check that out!

Thanks! I highly recommend playing APATOSS. It really makes you appreciate the beauty of Adventureland!

Count me as one of those guests that always overlook APATOSS. Shameful, I know. The next time in the MK without my toddlers, I'll have to give it a try. Pirates Fastpasses are always a win!

I agree with you on Splash. It's such a fun attraction, but getting splashed with water isn't the best. Looks like you guys were in the back row, though, so that had to help reduce the wetness factor, a little. Maybe? :confused3

That rolling Fastpass tidbit is a good thing to know. I figured you had to wait until after the attraction to book more. I am learning something new every update! I'm going to go into my next trip with a whole new world of Disney knowledge. :thumbsup2

I do think that being in the back of the boat on Splash helps you to not get as wet. I don't remember getting particularly wet on that go around at all. I love looking at MDE in line while waiting for an attraction, it's always fun. If there's an attraction we're set on getting, we choose it regardless of the time offered and then check it afterwards several times and move up the time when we can, if it's available.

As soon as I looked at the picture I thought - oooh, what's with the rocks?! :sad2:

YES!!! One of my faves, too.

I haven't thought specifically about Disney soda, but everything else typically tastes better on property so... I'll say yes! :thumbsup2

Yes! Thank you :goodvibes

Next time you drink a Disney soda, see what you think! Thanks for reading along.

Loving your trip report! You guys have a great narrative style. :)

Thank you so much!

Sunday, March 12th: A Magic Kingdom Park Day, Part Three

Welcome to the ending of our first park day! Where we last left off, we were in Tomorrowland and our Jungle Cruise Fastpass for 5:15 was ready to go, so we headed back across the park to use that.

686f49.jpg

As you may have read, when I did my Disney College Program, I worked at the Jungle Cruise. Weirdly enough, we actually didn’t ride this when we visited in 2015 (crazy, I know), so we wanted to make sure we did this attraction. I think at the time, it was just sad that I didn’t quite “belong” there anymore, and I felt awkward in a way. This trip, I didn’t feel that at all and I had a great time.

sblxmq.jpg

2wp84za.jpg

2djodu.jpg

25h3mf7.jpg

2usy5cl.jpg

After cruising around the four major rivers of the world, we walked to Main Street to get on the train. It seems like the Main Street stop is often a lot less crowded than the stops in the other areas of the park. If you’ve never ridden the train, YOU NEED TO! It’s shaded with a nice breeze. Once you’re on it, you can stay on as long as you like, which would make this a really good spot if you want to stay in the park with a child who’s taking an afternoon nap (if they can sleep through the occasional train whistle, but sitting towards the back of the train should help with that).

Scott: If you're catching the train, avoid catching it at Storybook Circus. The SC stop is the only stop that's really... Obvious. Most people blow by the Main Street stop and the Frontierland stop in favor of other attractions, but the Storybook Circus stop always seems to have a line. Plus I have to say that catching the train from Main Street just feels right.

jfjk48.jpg

rby7tu.jpg

We got off the train at the Storybook Circus stop. I know that Storybook Circus is thought of as a “kiddie” area, but we love hanging out here. The theming is just so perfect. From the peanuts and animal prints in the pavement, to the delicious smell of sweets emanating from Big Top, it’s just a very transformative area.

1zg51j.jpg

We decided to go into Big Top and I wanted to see if they had fresh cotton candy, as I thought they might make it at the sweet shop in the center of the store. Well, they do, but they don’t make it to order. So, I didn’t end up buying any cotton candy right then. BIG MISTAKE! I don’t know what was going on, but there ended up being some sort of cotton candy shortage throughout all the parks besides Magic Kingdom for the rest of our trip!

At some point after the Jungle Cruise, we picked up a Fastpass for Buzz Lightyear at 6:40 and we headed towards Tomorrowland. I had read somewhere that Tomorrowland Terrace had “dipped chicken tenders” and it had been awhile since we ate a meal, so we wanted to stop there before we rode Buzz. We used to love getting the dipped chicken tenders they had at one of the carts in Animal Kingdom, Friar Nook’s in Fantasyland, or the Backlot Express in Hollywood Studios. I don’t know of anywhere still serving them right now. When we walked over to Tomorrowland Terrace, it was closed. I should’ve known it was only open for lunch. So we decided to head on to Buzz. We passed the infamous Purple Wall on the way, and I rejected Scott’s request for some “purple wall pics.”

24l7sx1.jpg

Scott: It could have been a gorgeous, purple photo, but Alli is just to0o0o0oo0 co0o0o0ol.

Obviously, Scott obliterated me on Buzz. I just cannot get the hang of that game!

514qjc.jpg

2u8w02c.jpg

Scott: The orange robot's left hand, the top of the volcano, and the bottom of Zurg's little flying pod thingamajig. And then you can pose for awesome pics like this...

w2ivlu.png

When we left Buzz it was 6:54, we went to look for another Fastpass and found one for Splash Mountain at 6:55! Woo! I promise, if you just look, there are so many options! If you really have your heart set on something, just keep checking when you have downtime, like in line for the restroom or a food stand.

2vnl8gh.png

We knew that we wanted to ride Splash Mountain a couple more times, and now day one we were already on ride two! From what we saw, picking up a Fastpass for Splash Mountain was never that difficult, so I wouldn’t use one of your initial Fastpasses there. I’m sure this had a lot to do with the cool weather, but even during warm times, there are more Fastpasses available for Splash Mountain than there are for the other thrill rides.

It was a really fun boat full of all young adults like us. I think it’s so funny when people get scared that each of the tiny little drops are going to be “the big one.” It’s as if they teleported to the load area, and didn’t just walk right by the huge drop to see what it looks like!

So, finally, it was time to get some dinner for real! We wanted a turkey leg, but missed the stand in Frontierland (there is still one there, right?) so I looked on the app and saw that there were turkey legs at Tortuga Tavern. This turned out to be a great place, because there was basically no one there. I think the registers were closing pretty soon, so check if it’s still open on the app if you’re heading there for dinner. The other good thing was that the turkey leg was served in a tray, so we found it a lot easier to eat than normal.

kbenev.jpg

11ikfaa.jpg

2qsuwao.jpg

Scott: I'm (obviously) a huge fan of the Pirates movies, so I was visibly excited to find this "Crew Roster" in the back room of the Tavern.

We just hung out at a table in the room by the fireplace with the Sorcerers spot for a while and then we decided to play another APATOSS map. This time we did the Heads You Lose map.

t62yh3.jpg

2uif38i.jpg

After we were done, we had time for another map before Wishes, so we did Blackbeard.

35d69vo.jpg

2m7zxis.jpg

This was the last map because the fifth map isn’t currently working. We got another set of Fastpasses for doing two more maps and decided to save them for our next time at the Magic Kingdom (they didn’t expire until the end of the month, so we knew we could hold onto them to use later in our trip.

Scott: I was pretty bummed that the 5th map (Guardian's Curse) wasn't operating. It's always been my favorite. Let me also take this second to say PLAY APATOSS. If possible, play at night. The symbols are harder to find, but most of the spots have amazing lighting effects. Look at that pearl!!!

At this point, it was 8:30 so we decided to go get a spot for Wishes at 9pm. We stood in the street to the left of the Partners statue. Now that there’s no nighttime parade, the street is fair game for fireworks viewing, which creates so much more space. I saw a friend who worked at the Jungle Cruise while I did, who now coordinates on Main Street, and she was telling me that back when there was a nighttime parade, they couldn’t keep people out of the street. But now that there isn’t one, people always leave the space empty.

While it’s certainly sad that Wishes is leaving, I know that these things need to change and I’m very excited to see what’s coming next!

120t3tl.jpg

2q8u1zk.jpg

After the fireworks ended at 9:12 on the dot (we used to use them to tell time because they’re so precise!) we decided to just wait out the thirty minutes until Once Upon a Time.

We loved the music from Celebrate the Magic, and the part with Walt always meant so much to us! However, the projection effects and quality in Once Upon a Time is just so superior. It’s an awesome show! I find it kind of odd that they’re not showing it right before the fireworks anymore, but maybe the schedule will change when the new fireworks show begins in May.

25tf7td.jpg

5yffbc.jpg

Scott: Celebrate the Magic was my all time favorite night time show. I loved it with a passion, and I was crushed when they announced that it would be leaving. The new show is great. The projections are crisp and beautiful. However, it lacks emotion, and it's just way too "Beauty and the Beast" for my liking. Great show, but I prefer CTM.

We didn’t want to join the mass of people headed to the buses just yet, so we decided to ride Haunted Mansion again. On our way there, we walked through the Tangled restrooms thinking that we may take a picture holding on of the lanterns in the new photo op.

10pbr6g.jpg

Well…that line was wrapping around the entire area, so we decided against it and just headed on.

Scott: Most people don't realize that there's a puzzle to be solved hidden in the bust eulogies in the interactive graveyard. There are 5 busts and it's your job to figure out who killed who. Start at the center, and you'll quickly realize that each description lines up with a picture that's placed on another bust's eulogy. For example, Uncle Jacob was poisoned, and there's a vial of poison on Bertie's eulogy. But when you get to the last bust, Cousin Maude, it claims that "her dreams went up in smoke," implying that she burned to death in her sleep. (Isn't this a family park?) But there are no family members left to blame, so who dunnit?? Well check out Maude's bun...

6pndys.jpg

MATCHES! The story goes that Maude had used matches to hold up her bun, and they ignited while she slept!! Pretty gruesome. Another mystery solved!!

I’ve told you about how our attitude has changed towards being a lot more relaxed in the parks over the last few years. Well, personally, I HATE the crush of people trying to jam out of the stretch room and into the load area. So, we now just always hang back for as long as possible. If you wait in the stretch room for just a bit longer than usual, you will hear the voices of the gargoyles below the portraits whispering to you.

Once we were in our doom buggy, we had a situation occur in front of us due to an issue with the age policy. Any child under 7 years old needs to ride with someone 14 years or older. It seems that Disney Cast Members are receiving some extra pressure to follow this rule tightly. So, if cast members ask your child their age etc., that’s probably why. They had to Emergency Stop the ride and switch a party’s seats around, because I guess there was a 6 year old riding alone from their party.

Scott: BEHOLD! THE ONLY CLEAR (ish) HAUNTED MANSION PHOTO I GOT!

2ymx4dj.jpg

BEAUTIFUL!!

We slowly made our way back out of the park, moseying down Main Street and taking in the beautiful nighttime lighting.

219pawz.jpg

16kum1u.jpg

Eventually we made our way back to the bus and were at Pop around 11pm.

So on this day, we left the resort at 7:15am and lasted until 11pm (this will change drastically as the weather changes throughout the week). We used a total of eight Fastpasses, rode a total of sixteen attractions, and watched three shows and parades. We also did all of the APATOSS Maps, and had meals or snacks five times. It was an absolutely awesome park day! I wish I could live it over again right now!

However, our next day at Animal Kingdom was one of my favorites ever! But am I going to say that about every park day? Probably…

Thanks for reading along! I hope our words and pictures bring you some Disney magic, wherever you’re reading from!

Animal Kingdom Day 1 - Part 1! Click here!!!

Last edited:
So on this day, we left the resort at 7:15am and lasted until 11pm (this will change drastically as the weather changes throughout the week). We used a total of eight Fastpasses, rode a total of sixteen attractions, and watched three shows and parades. We also did all of the APATOSS Maps, and had meals or snacks five times. It was an absolutely awesome park day! I wish I could live it over again right now!
Wow, impressive! :thumbsup2

But am I going to say that about every park day? Probably…
:laughing: I'm laughing about this, but honestly it's so true of me, too!

Another great update and I'm anxious to read about your AK day!

Great update - I love your pictures!! Thanks for the heads up about the mystery of how all the busts died/were killed at HM! I'll keep that little tidbit to impress everyone next time we ride :)

Wow, impressive! :thumbsup2

Yea. We're impressive people. No biggie.

Great update - I love your pictures!! Thanks for the heads up about the mystery of how all the busts died/were killed at HM! I'll keep that little tidbit to impress everyone next time we ride :)

OH MY GOD THANK YOU!!! About the pictures. Thanks! We're FULL of tidbits like that. We try to include as many fun facts as possible!

I have to say, I really look forward to your updates. There's always entertaining, and I constantly learn something new. The Haunted Mansion bit...I was clueless. Add it to the growing list of fun facts I'm learning from your report.

Celebrate the Magic was wonderful! I still listen to the soundtrack, but I'm curious to see how the new projection show ties in with Happily Ever After.

Not going to lie, I'm really excited to read about your Animal Kingdom day. DAK and the MK are tied for my favorite Disney parks.

I have to say, I really look forward to your updates. There's always entertaining, and I constantly learn something new. The Haunted Mansion bit...I was clueless. Add it to the growing list of fun facts I'm learning from your report.

Celebrate the Magic was wonderful! I still listen to the soundtrack, but I'm curious to see how the new projection show ties in with Happily Ever After.

Not going to lie, I'm really excited to read about your Animal Kingdom day. DAK and the MK are tied for my favorite Disney parks.

Thank you SO much for your kind words! It means so much knowing that seeing our posts brings joy to others! I absolutely adore DAK and that has only increased over time! I know it's going to be a lot more busy over the coming months as Pandora opens, but I think the addition of the area may even make it the park I want to spend the most time at! It's so awesome that it stays open late now!

Monday, March 13th: An Animal Kingdom Park Day

I hope everyone is having a great May so far! I will be going to Disneyland next weekend with my mom for Mother’s Day! So there may not be an update next weekend. On top of that, we just booked another trip to Walt Disney World in July, so we’re going to attempt to finish this trip report before then! Key word: attempt!

Quick question for our lovely readers before we get started, what do we need to know before booking Hoop De Doo Revue? We’ve NEVER been! Can you believe it?! Which seating section/showtime is your favorite and why? Do you like the food and service?

This day was a full park day at Animal Kingdom, starting with EMH at 8am.

Here were our plans for the day:

ledy8.png

I know many people look at Animal Kingdom as a “half day” park, but that’s just blasphemy to me! Even prior to Pandora, Animal Kingdom is simply one of my favorite places on this planet to be! I find it incredibly immersive, yet relaxing. However, Scott and I have a curse. No matter when we go to Animal Kingdom, it WILL rain. This day was no exception. I recall once we hid in one of the cave areas by the front of the park while eating a turkey leg and drinking a frozen lemonade, since both of these items were open. But you know, that silly little moment is such a fun memory. Rain didn’t dampen those memories, and they didn’t dampen our fun this day either. I implore you to STAY in the parks in the face of rain. No, I don’t suggest trying to walk through a torrential downpour. But I do suggest sitting down for a meal, or hopping in a covered line for an attraction to wait out rain. For some reason, MANY people will leave the park in droves, and after the rain you should experience some decreased attraction waits. Outdoor attractions will close if lightning strikes within five miles of the park and remain closed for twenty minutes. Each lightning strike = another twenty minutes. For this reason, I suggest getting in line for an indoor attraction.

We were in line for the bus at 7:50am and arrived at Animal Kingdom at 8:20am.​

While we didn’t do any Disney Bounds on this trip, I did choose my outfit for this day with Animal Kingdom in mind. Scott bought me this compass necklace from a boutique on South Congress in Austin for Christmas. What accessory could be better for a day focused around adventure?
jhyn9v.jpg

It was so awesome seeing Discovery Island without all the construction walls and cranes that were present on our trip in 2015.
2m5y14y.jpg

This morning was very foggy, but it made for a very cool atmosphere.
2wd53zl.jpg

We made our way back to Expedition Everest around 8:45am.
4ik4l0.jpg

Scott: One of my favorite photo ops in DAK. I love the way the alter lines up with the mountain.

6jiotk.jpg

SO MUCH DETAIL.

15510s5.jpg

33n8fon.jpg

Is anything better than the Expedition queue?!
2nq5blx.jpg

2m5js6w.jpg

Could have used some of these fuzzy socks later on in our trip.

if361i.jpg

72srqg.png

Following this ride, Scott wanted a drink from the Anandapur Tea Company.
magvv8.jpg

20ayxj4.jpg

168yihl.jpg

Scott: There were these neat little statues around the queue to the Tea place. My weird obsession with 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea has led to a weird obsession with octopi. I thought this was the coolest little stone figurine.
This is a Joffrey’s location, and we noticed a trend with pretty slow moving lines at coffee carts in the morning on this trip. I felt bad, because there was only one cast member working at this stand. So we probably waited about twenty minutes. It was a bit chilly, so a warm drink was worth the wait.

Scott got an African Celebration tea and he let me hold it awhile to warm my hands. (The tea was so hot, it was burning my hands through the cup. So yea... I "let" Alli hold it) It was also way too hot to drink when we first got it, so it was basically just a hand warmer (/burner) at that time. After that, we were on the search for breakfast. We had a lot of trouble finding breakfast at WDW this trip!!! Most park breakfasts were limited the Starbucks locations, which would have huge lines. The Joffrey’s locations, like I mentioned before, also had long lines. Plus to me, a big donut isn’t what I look for as a breakfast.

We walked through Harambe Market. I adore this area and think it’s a great addition to the park!

We stopped to take a couple pictures. Here, you can see my shirt, which I also chose for Animal Kingdom.
4vfo80.jpg

Again, Scott bought me this shirt as a present. It’s from Whosits and Whatsits and advertises Hundred Acre Woods as a National Park. My hair got so frizzy so quick this morning, but soon it would be covered due to rain anyway!
102pdfd.jpg

We ended up getting a caramel apple from Zuri’s Sweets Shop, that was about the best breakfast we could find. There was also an apple that was covered in caramel and chocolate with coconut on top, it looked amazing but it just seemed too decadent for breakfast. I still think about it! I want to go get it on our next trip!

Unfortunate that we didn't get to try the short lived animal poop snacks from Zuri's. Hopefully they'll make a come back.
2ps3gi9.jpg

n5gaau.jpg

We got our apple sliced and took it to eat in a very empty Harambe Market.

Scott: The apple was shockingly delicious, and the tea was... bland. I typically like to add milk and sugar to my tea, so having it plain just tasted empty.
219djy0.jpg

6ooisl.jpg

I just can't get over the level of detail in this park. Everything seems so natural and dirty and almost falling apart. Everything is so perfectly placed. My favorite detail would have to be the flyers posted about. I love how they have advertisements for various Animal Kingdom shows and fictional Animal Kingdom companies. You might even spot a few flyers advertising "JORODI", a nod to the imagineer who led the Animal Kingdom project.
vpuxef.jpg

After our breakfast snack, we decided to go watch the first showing of Festival of the Lion King at 10am. Last trip, our FOLK showing was a huge dud. Huge. It was the same show we all know and love, but with just no life at all. This trip definitely made up for it!
vxoig.jpg

3484yzt.jpg

akjrzc.jpg

1zbxtaw.jpg

This show has been a roller coaster of emotions for me. There are people who rave about this show. They say that this is the best show on property. For a long time, I agreed. I thought it was incredible. There was even a day when, upon realizing that Alli had never seen it, we drove to Animal Kingdom JUST to watch it. But after seeing the show 397 times, it got old. And when we saw it on our last trip, it was just not very good. But this performance brought it all back. The cast did a phenomenal job.

Following the show, we headed to our Dinosaur FP, which was for 10:40. This is one of our favorites!
mirud.jpg

263vkmb.jpg

fwizh1.jpg

2zdou9w.jpg

otjcox.png

I. LOVE. THIS. RIDE... Hands down, most underrated attraction in WDW. It's my favorite attraction for soooo many reasons.
1) Ever since I was little, I've loved dinosaurs.
2) I love anything having to do with time travel.
3) This ride is so incredibly immersive that it legit frightens me. I truthfully am scared while on this ride.

I was ready for a coke after Dinosaur. We went to the Trilo-Bites stand in Dinoland.
e6spvo.jpg

I saw that they had a beer called the Sunfish from Sea Dog Brewery. This is a local Orlando brewery, and we ate there when we lived in Orlando so it caught my eye. I ordered one for Scott, and we took our drinks to sit and relax in the Rivers of Light viewing area.
34ph11s.jpg

There is so much seating available here during the day, it’s an awesome place to hang out with a meal or snack. The Sunfish is such a good beer, in my opinion. I don’t remember the exact flavor of it, to be honest, but I remember loving it.

We had our Expedition Everest Fastpass for 11:40, which is why we elected to stay in the area while we waited for it.
iddt2g.jpg

After Expedition Everest, we treated ourselves yet again. I headed to Tamu Tamu Refreshments to get a Dole Whip with rum, and while I was in line I saw a sign at the register for an African Coffee. It was a regular coffee with Amarula and whipped cream in it, so I got one of those for Scott because he was feeling a bit sleepy.
11idg5j.jpg

At this point, it had started to rain. We sat by Dawa Bar to enjoy our treats, which has great drinks, but I didn’t get any there on this trip!

We like to sit in the area that's located behind Tamu Tamu. It's peaceful and quiet, but I don't think I've ever moved as fast as when I was sitting there waiting for Alli, looking through pictures from the morning, and the rain started to fall. I never even realized that there's no real shelter back there and I had to protect the camera! Luckily we found a table across the street at Dawa.

I’m going to leave off there for right now, because I need to get ready for my trip to Disneyland! The thing I love about Animal Kingdom the most, is just taking time to bask in the gorgeous scenery. I think that Pandora will really add a lot in that regard, but I hope it doesn’t force us into having to go into park commando mode to accomplish everything there!

Check out the rest of our Animal Kingdom day HERE!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter