See hard work does pay off - Disney or ???

HayGan

We could all use some pixie dust now and then :)<b
DH and I (well really just me) have begun planning our first family trip to WDW next December. OF course I'm really excited and can't wait (neither can DH and DS#1). Our plan is to go in Dec 2005 and Oct 2006 to take advantage of our planned purchase of APs.

Well, besides the Disney planning :p I've been working really hard at work on a very important project and I've had to sacrifice alot of time with my family in the process. My boss has decided to reward me with some $$$ to take a break and a little vacation. We are already planning to go to the Outer Banks the week of Labor Day :bounce: and that has already been paid for (by us) but I'm wondering if we should take the family to WDW for a few days this fall. DH isn't too keen on the idea of going to WDW 3 times in 3 years: and DS#2 is only 2.5 yrs (and a wild man at that!) I've been thinking of maybe taking DS#1 (4.5yrs) for a long weekend to Disney. (DH said he would be ok with that but he was hoping to do something as well!) Searches on expedia give me packages that would be around $600/$700 for air and hotel for 2. We could take the whole family for about $1000 (not including passes.) We would be leaving from Pittsburgh.

The only option for a family vacation that we could come up with is taking the kids to Niagara Falls for a few days but it just doesn't sound like Disney:earsgirl:

I feel guilty about considering something that won't include the whole family but we are going on our family vacation in a little under 2 weeks. Plus, I've caught the Disney bug - BAD!!!! So I just can't decide what to do!!!

BTW, the $$$ is a little less than $2,000 and I can't really spend any of my own $$$ right now so what I get from my boss would have to cover everything!

Edited to add: I have to use the money this year so I can't put it towards next year's vacation :(

What should I do?????

I would save the money for next Dec and perhaps stay longer or upgrade your current reservations. I would feel too bad leaving DH and DS at home.

BTW, I am not sure how much of a handful your 2.5 year old is but we took our 2.5 year this year and he LOVED it....

You're like me, it just wouldn't be the same to me leaving my husband at home. He was being very sweet to offer but it kind of sounds like he really wants to be included. Did you check value resorts, etc. (some really good codes out there now) There have been some really great airline prices lately. I would try the airline websites (I seem to always do better with them directly) After booking my airfare through Airtran for $150.00, I checked Expedia and they said the cheapest was $182.00.
How do you feel about leaving DS #2? I wouldn't be able to do that either, but then that's me. Your first family trip should be the whole family, it's so magical! At least it was for us.
I would save half toward a longer WDW trip like the above poster, especially since you can still get away somewhere this fall.

Although once you catch that WDW bug is it hard to shake it, I agree that you should take your first family trip together as a whole family.

Nothing can compare to the feeling of your whole family entering Magic Kingdom together, walking down Main Street and stopping in front of the Castle. These are special memories and should be made together.

Since planning is half the fun, I would look at planning a "great" trip for next December, maybe staying a bit longer or upgrading where you are staying.

Good luck.

I agree with the other posters. There are so many places that you could take the children that are within driving distance...Lancaster County/HersheyPark/DutchWonderland...Valley Forge...Philadelphia/SesamePlace...Knobel's...Kennywood...Ligonier/Idlewild Park...Presque Isle.

I know it's not Disney but you could do a "Visit PA" trip that your little ones could love and it would include the whole family. I also belive that your first trip to WDW should be shared by the whole family. Your DH should be there to see the wonder in your DS#1's eyes when he see the MK for the first time.

Just a short reply..I am from Pittsburgh too (Go Steelers) and the opinion about PA trip was great! We went to Hershey Park this past June with our 3 year son. It is a Beautiful Park! It was a practice run for Disney in Oct. 2005. We also visited Dutch Wonderland but had the most fun in Hershey!

Have Fun Planning your trip for Disney...We are!

Can you go ahead and make your room reservations for next December and make payment on it? You will be "using" the money this year you just won't be enjoying it just yet.

i totally agree w/the PA Vacation idea... willow valley is a fabulous hotel in lancaster, near enough to hershey, dutch wonderland and a whole bunch of other great places to visit!

another idea is williamsburg, virginia... lots of great stuff to do there as well!

or maybe you can talk dh into disneyland in california? from what i understand it is much more budget-friendly than wdw...

congrats on receiving the bonus and i'm sure whatever you decide, you will ENJOY IT!

Good idea WDWorbust....

Maybe use part of the money for a deposit on next years room (they need either a check or credit card payment for 1 night to hold your room) and then use the balance for a PA weekend getaway. I lived in PA years ago!!! and would love to go back. What about Sesame Place--that would be appropriate for the kiddos...Hershey Park--I think you can look on the internet and find farms to stay on--basically B&B's on a farm for the family...there is one web-site for a group of PA farms...arghhh...okay...let me look it up...

http://www.pafarmstay.com/map.html

Here it is--some of the farms are close to the Amusement Parks--so take a gander...some are decently priced...also some don't take kids, so you will have to check the conditions. Just click on the map and pick a farm. Six Reflections looked nice--$75 per night, lists Hershey as a "local" attraction. Looks like the listing has changed a bit since I looked about 18 months ago...but enjoy checking it out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!