Security Issue???

b0m5jgr

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone, just a question, when you're first boarding and going through security, you will go through a metal detector. Both myself & my step-daughter have had surgery with metal rods in my left leg & her right leg. Has anyone had surgery and gone through and set off the alarm, if so do we need to bring some paper work stating about the surgery. Thanks

My mom has two knee replacements; last time they didn't make her go through the detectors, just wanded her.

I have implants in my neck and shoulder. I set off the detector and they took me to a room and made me strip and searched me

I recently had my hip replaced. Right before I had this done I cruised on the Fantasy. When I went thru the metal detector I asked the security guard at Port Canaveral this exact question. He answered the question the same way my doctor did.

There are so many people with replacements that the detector goes of all the time.

You go thru the detector, set it off, and then they pull you aside, you tell them you have an implant, they wand it and then you are good to go.

About the card... my doctor said after 9/11 they don't issue the cards any more since anybody can make one up.

When I went thru the airport I was told to go thru the full body scanner which shouldn't set off the detector.

Good Luck!

Hi everyone, just a question, when you're first boarding and going through security, you will go through a metal detector. Both myself & my step-daughter have had surgery with metal rods in my left leg & her right leg. Has anyone had surgery and gone through and set off the alarm, if so do we need to bring some paper work stating about the surgery. Thanks

not all rods set off the machines..
depends what they're made of...
my elbow is titanium and i've yet to set off any machine anywhere...
(and i live in a country with high security)....
i suspect titanium just doesn't set it off..
other kinds of metal do...
as already noted, you tell why, they wand you or whatever their method is and that's it..

my son in law broke his back a number of years ago and his spinal column is completely rebuilt with metal...somehow he never sets them off either..

You'll just be pulled aside and they wand you. My husband had a knee replacement and has pins in his foot-----we're always waiting for him on the other side of security. They can't use dr. notes anymore---too easy to make one.

not all rods set off the machines..
depends what they're made of...
my elbow is titanium and i've yet to set off any machine anywhere...
(and i live in a country with high security)....
i suspect titanium just doesn't set it off..

I would say that you are correct about titanium. It’s not magnetic so I think that may be the reason it does not seem to set off metal detectors. I have 9 titanium screws in my right shoulder plus titanium screws and a plate in my neck. I never set off the detectors.

I have nine pins, two plates, and three screws in my hip, uprights have always let me through. Although I don’t remember, they may have wanded me after but I’ve never had a problem. I’m not even remembering if they actually wanded me or not. I do remember their system being very fast.

DH has a titanium rod and screw from a broken bone near the ankle. He does not set off the metal detectors in the airports, but he has set off the metal detectors on the ship. He just tells them about it, they wand him and off we go.

On our Alaskan cruise, my hiking boots are steel toed and I set the metal detector off every time. I just told them about the boots, they wanded my feet and we were all set to go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter