Second Star to the Right and Straight on ‘til the 2017 Pixie Dust Challenge*COMPLETE

I don't know what those purple flowering trees are, but I want one.

Way to go at TSMM!! That's an awesome score!

I so agree about the distortion on Soarin' - I've gotten to be high maintenance and will ask a CM if I can wait for a center glider. It makes it so much better!

Disney After Dark – but Darn those California Winds!

102b56db3c237d5793816e2b2ba215f9.gif

Once back to the hotel, we opted to get things laid out for the 10K run the next day. Our plan after dinner was to enjoy some night park hours and watch the fireworks at Disneyland before heading to bed. This was pushing us a bit past our usual Disney pre-race bedtime, but I was really wanting to see the fireworks. Flat me for the race!

IMG_3839_zpsc4hatwmk.jpg

The back of the shirt had this graphic on it

IMG_3752_zpsjncay2kw.jpg

We lounged about for a bit, but likely due to my caffeine infusion, I was antsy and had been thinking of returning to the expo to get a PDC I Did It shirt. Since I wasn’t loving the acid yellow race shirt, I thought I’d pick up the I Did It shirt plus have the benefit of the race courses on the back. We rallied around and headed back out to the Disneyland Hotel.

IMG_3840_zps0gvtiejc.jpg

Once back in the expo though and looking at the shirts, I talked myself out of it. I had my hat after all to commemorate the race, and I really just didn’t need another shirt.

With a little time to kill before our dinner menu, we wandered around the lobby area outside Steakhouse 55. I loved it here. There were these showcases with all this old memorabilia about the Disneyland Hotel. It was so cool!

IMG_3841_zpsiw5oxpkc.jpg

IMG_3845_zps9p4t7xjm.jpg

IMG_3846_zpsddmydbap.jpg

I could have stood there a long time looking at stuff, but our reservation was upon us and I was getting hungry! I will say that the little exposure I had to the Disneyland Hotel was amazing and I’d love to plan a trip sometime and actually stay here.

We checked in at the podium and were led back immediately to our table. In no time, we had some tasty bread in front of us and a couple of glasses of pinot noir recommended by our server. Her name was Pearl and she was so great!

IMG_3847_zpsiuzvn85t.jpg

One thing I loved about Pearl was that she encouraged us to share plates. She said they happily split plates and there is no additional charge for that, so we decided that was probably a good idea for us.

We started out with a wedge salad. Super fresh and yummy.

IMG_3848_zpskwybzujx.jpg

Then we opted to split the SH55 Dry Rub Bone-In Ribeye. It’s an 18 oz steak :eek: but split, only 9 oz a piece which was perfect.

IMG_3850_zpsms9tb0q2.jpg

It also had some kind of bone marrow accompaniment thing which looked cool but didn’t have much taste to it. The steak was delicious though. We also shared the seafood risotto (which you see behind the steak), this was a huge serving and we only ate maybe half of it between us. It was okay. The scallops and shrimp were good in it, but the risotto itself only so-so.

We weren’t planning on dessert, but Pearl brought this out to us anyway!

IMG_3851_zpspxl29hak.jpg

She and Chris had bonded over military service (her son was currently serving), so maybe that was why. Whatever the reason, it was delicious and finished off the meal beautifully.

The atmosphere in this restaurant was great. It was pretty and upscale, but also felt comfortable. I didn’t feel underdressed in my shorts and the service was fantastic. Would definitely recommend it.

After settling up our bill (which was the only down side $$$ ;) ), we headed out. Just before you enter the restaurant is this little seating area with this great Walt pic.

IMG_3852_zpsfql0xntg.jpg

:love:

We headed first back to DCA because I was hoping to catch the moment when the Carsland lights turn on to the song, Sh-Boom. We had been lingering in the area for a short time when the speakers came on and started playing the song over the speakers. It was so cool to watch all the lights come one. I did video it, but not sure how to attach that here, although I’ll try. :D

Here are some still shots.

IMG_3856_zpspw8jby8e.jpg

IMG_3857_zpsera8l9uh.jpg

IMG_3858_zpsxmvcnw9v.jpg

Carsland is great during the day, but even more fun at night with the neon shining!

With that done, we walked over to Disneyland to enjoy some night time entertainment before the fireworks. Pretty castle…

IMG_3859_zpsr3nwsqwp.jpg

and INSANE crowds. It was miserable in there. We headed toward Tomorrowland to see about maybe riding Space Mountain.

IMG_3860_zpsafod8zec.jpg

HA!! We could barely get through the walkway and the line was, of course, crazy long, so that was a no go. I wanted to check out the Storybook Land canal ride, but that line was also really long. Then we noticed the Nemo submarine ride and the line seemed okay for that, so in we went!

I think we waited about 20 minutes or so before boarding our sub.

IMG_3861_zpsmtx6lkwf.jpg

This was fun! Although much longer than I expected. I’m not at all claustrophobic, but by the time it finished, I was definitely ready to exit. Still cute and unique ride, but not sure I’d do it a second time.

By now it was getting close to time for the fireworks. We gradually worked our way through the crowds and got a decent spot (a bit off center) to wait for the show. Unfortunately, they ended up canceling them due to the high winds. BOOOOO!!! I’d read that can happen with some frequency in California, but I was still bummed.

We actually were able to get out through the crowds pretty quickly though and headed back to the hotel. I think we were probably tucked into bed and drifting off to sleep by around 10:30 and all set for the alarm to go off around 3:30 AM and head out for our first race.

Next up: We actually run a race!!!

My hubby kills me on TSMM. Every time. But it's still so fun!

I have got to stop reading TR in the morning- too many good food pics! That corn dog sounds so yummy right now.

Disney Starbucks is the BEST. Two of my most favorite things combined!

I was actually shocked I won. I mean I was leading early on but figured he'd pass me in the end, and I could use a corn dog AND a Starbucks right about now.

That's so awesome you beat Chris on TSMM!

That corn dog looks really good. Disneyland is famous for them.

Disney + Starbucks makes everything in the world seem good lol. Love those benches!

I was sort of obsessed with those benches. LOL

I don't know what those purple flowering trees are, but I want one.

Way to go at TSMM!! That's an awesome score!

I so agree about the distortion on Soarin' - I've gotten to be high maintenance and will ask a CM if I can wait for a center glider. It makes it so much better!

So funny you said that. I almost did request a center seat, but thought we'd roll the dice because I kinda wanted to see how obvious the distortion was for myself.

Steakhouse 55 looks fantastic! I love that little dessert you got!

The crowds have been crazy at DL the last week or so. I have always wanted to the submarines but can understand wanting to get out after a while.

LOVE Steakhouse 55!! It's so good, and I totally agree with your thoughts on the ambiance.

Disneyland in the evening is just nuts with people lining up for the parades and fireworks...sorry your fireworks were canceled!

And I agree that the subs ride is LONG. Good lord!

Will there be characters or no? – That is the question
giphy.gif

I actually managed to sleep pretty well (not typical for me before a race), but woke up promptly when the alarm went off. I’d showered the night before, so it was pretty quick for me to get suited up and Chris and I to head out the door for breakfast. The hotel had cold breakfast stuff available, so Chris and I each ate a quick bowl of Froot Loops cereal (breakfast of champions right there folks) and grabbed a cup of coffee for the walk to the corrals.

This morning we opted to head down Katella and then up Disneyland Drive to get to the corrals. There were several other runners walking that way, so we strolled along until we got to the security check. This was all a bit strange. Just a cluster of people all sort of haphazardly moving up and through the gate. There was a bag check table with 2 people and then 2 people wanding everyone individually. It was an incredibly slow process and seemed like a really silly and inefficient way to do things. I have a real problem with these types of screenings that in my opinion do very little to truly safeguard events like this and are a lot more “security theater” than true safety – but that’s a rant for another time.

Eventually we made our way through and turned to the left toward our corral. I was crazy pumped to have scored a B corral for the race. Surprisingly, Chris had an A corral for the 10K. Not surprising as his proof of time landed him there, but I thought men couldn’t be in corral A, but I guess that is only for the half. We made a quick bathroom stop at the porta potties and found ourselves at corral B.

IMG_3862_zps9fypjc8p.jpg

I loved being this close up to the front. Shortly after arriving in the corral, we saw Shannon ( @Ariel484 ) and gave her a quick shout out. We had a nice time just chatting in the corral and listening to some really bad jokes from the announcers. Lots of people behind us!

IMG_3863_zpszuk7vjrq.jpg

It was getting close to the start for the wheelchair racers and one of the announcers called out the 4 of them by name. Then she said they’d be announcing each racer individually for each corral. HA! That one actually got a laugh out of me. The race started up and we very quickly found ourselves at the start.

IMG_3866_zpsicrvb8ei.jpg

3…2…1..GO!!!

We said bye to Shannon (although we saw her repeatedly during the race) and headed out. We are typically interval runners, but with a crowded start to the race, we both decided just to continue at an easy run before worrying about intervals. The first mile went by very quickly.

IMG_3867_zpsijxg603m.jpg

Oops. My head didn’t quite make it into the shot.

Before long, we were headed into the park. Well, hello there Toontown!

IMG_3868_zpsfxu5ildu.jpg

I’d told Chris we were just going to take a lot of random park pictures because we’d heard about the 5K having no real characters to speak of, but by golly, I was getting pictures!!

A bit further on, we spotted a Lost Boy. But, no photographers, so just selfies if you wanted. This was not looking encouraging for character photos. :(

Hey, there, Lost Boy!

IMG_3869_zpsr7wuxlx2.jpg

We exited the park again pretty quickly and ran on some back roads and on to mile 2! Another runner kindly took our picture and we returned the favor for her.

IMG_3872_zpsjrulb3km.jpg

Running through another backstage area, I spotted Tink up on the wall and decided to take her picture. Shannon ran by at this point and I yelled out that it might be the only other character shot I’d get!

IMG_3873_zpsbazz8xt3.jpg

I actually did dig the retro wavy roof line thing on this wall though. A but further on and we were reentering Disneyland and into Tomorrowland and cruising on through to the Astro Orbiters.

IMG_3874_zpsouevow0g.jpg

They actually had these running although not letting people ride obviously. Although, that could be kinda fun! Chris would say NO, not fun!

LOOK!! It’s an actual PhotoPass photographer! Can you tell how excited I am?

IMG_4069_zpsthcum9iz.jpg

Chris looks very intent on turning that corner and I’m all about the thumbs up!!

Hey, there Matterhorn!

IMG_3875_zpsj8qr41yb.jpg

And then it was mile 3!!!

IMG_3876_zpslksokvzu.jpg

Next up: More of the best.Disney.race.ever!!!

Steakhouse 55 looks fantastic! I love that little dessert you got!

The crowds have been crazy at DL the last week or so. I have always wanted to the submarines but can understand wanting to get out after a while.

Wasn't the dessert so cute? I thought the crowds on the weekend were nuts! I think I've gotten spoiled by going in January to WDW and have forgotten what it's like to be there during a high-crowd time.

LOVE Steakhouse 55!! It's so good, and I totally agree with your thoughts on the ambiance.

Disneyland in the evening is just nuts with people lining up for the parades and fireworks...sorry your fireworks were canceled!

And I agree that the subs ride is LONG. Good lord!

Yeah, I was bummed about the fireworks. But, whatcha gonna do?

Right on the subs? I mean it's cute and all, but that's a long time to sit in that little tin can!

Great update!

Too funny, we were at Steakhouse 55 Friday night too! It is one of my favorites. We had a less than stellar server in January, and I was happy to see that this was not the case this time. My friend and I split a lot of things also, and our server was awesome in everything, from the wine recommendations to the pacing of the meal. We were in B too for the 10K (I was B foe both, she was A for half).

Looking forward to more!

Great update!

Too funny, we were at Steakhouse 55 Friday night too! It is one of my favorites. We had a less than stellar server in January, and I was happy to see that this was not the case this time. My friend and I split a lot of things also, and our server was awesome in everything, from the wine recommendations to the pacing of the meal. We were in B too for the 10K (I was B foe both, she was A for half).

Looking forward to more!

Funny about Steakhouse 55. A near-Dis miss!! I'm totally spoiled from running in B on the race. Returning to the middle of the pack for marathon weekend won't be as much fun!

There were these showcases with all this old memorabilia about the Disneyland Hotel. It was so cool!
That Mickey mask is scary looking, but pretty cool display!

Cars land at night is amazing! Bummer your fireworks were canceled. Great 10k photos so far!

There Be Characters Here!!!
giphy.gif

A short time after passing Mile Marker 3, we noticed something off to the side. Is that what I think it is? IT IS!!! A character stop. We, of course, immediately wheeled off to get in line. Shannon was there right behind as well (because, of course, we clearly have the same priorities in these races #allthepictures).

The line wasn’t too bad and within a few minutes we had our first race character picture. Woohoo!!

IMG_4071_zps43ogcmtf.jpg

Captain Hook and Smee!!

We were feeling really energized after seeing a real character stop, so off we charged. We looped around through Fantasy Land passing by the carousel.

IMG_3880_zpsydaaff0f.jpg

and on our way to the castle

IMG_3879_zpsywhnwmht.jpg

IMG_4073_zps5axm2fav.jpg

Poor Chris. I think my hand or arm blocked him in numerous shots on this race weekend. I just throw my hands in the air like I don’t care!

IMG_4078_zpsthfhf0jq.jpg

But, at least the PhotoPass gods were kind to him with this shot which I adore!!!

IMG_4077_zpsdqqf74ul.jpg

How cute is he? :love:

The course turned off here toward Frontierland. Time for more random park selfies!!

IMG_3881_zpsa8rngbjy.jpg

IMG_3882_zpss8xprbje.jpg

Then looping through New Orleans Square and back toward the hub. As we were approaching the Partners statue there was a CM taking pictures with people’s phones. While waiting, I had a brilliant idea for a picture – because thus far all our pictures had been far too normal. And behold the result…

IMG_3886_zpsidpvxez5.jpg

:rotfl2:

You have no idea how happy it makes me when I can get Chris to do goofy stuff like this. It probably helped that I was the one willing to be Mickey in the shot.

We cruised on down Main Street

IMG_4081_zpsjf34lziy.jpg

not sure where Chris ended up??

IMG_4079_zpsjrlqa9op.jpg

There he IS!!!!

and saw ANOTHER character stop off to the left. Pirate Donald – WHAT????

IMG_4082_zpstfwsjpz7.jpg

Thumbs up, indeed, Donald!

A bit further down Main Street and then we were headed out of the park, but these fellas were there to send us off in style!

IMG_3892_zpsc6g6q8go.jpg

So, after spending approximately 4 hours and 22 minutes (*just an approximation) in Magic Kingdom, we were on our way to California Adventure.

Next up: The World’s Longest 10K recap continues!

That Mickey mask is scary looking, but pretty cool display!

Cars land at night is amazing! Bummer your fireworks were canceled. Great 10k photos so far!

That mask was FREAKY! Yeah, I was bummed about the fireworks, but nothing was going to dampen my spirits this trip!

You all are the cutest- who needs photopass when you take such cute selfies! ;)

This is a BIG statement! Can't wait to hear more about it!

It's a good thing you like selfies, because we have plenty of them. :D

*The author of this trip report makes no guarantees that readers will also agree that this was, in fact, the Best Disney Race Ever (author may trademark this statement), but, as an opinion of the author, is irrefutable.

OH. EM. GEE.

I love all of your selfies (please teach me how to look cute in selfies like you do!) and you got some really awesome PhotoPass shots, but that Partners picture is AMAZING!! AHH I LOVE IT!! What a fantastic idea!! :worship:

OH. EM. GEE.

I love all of your selfies (please teach me how to look cute in selfies like you do!) and you got some really awesome PhotoPass shots, but that Partners picture is AMAZING!! AHH I LOVE IT!! What a fantastic idea!! :worship:

I probably laughed about that picture for 5 minutes after we took it. Chris was also particularly proud of how well he mimicked Walt's hand. It's the little things, folks!

And you look great in selfies, so you don't need any advice from me!

Looks like such a fun race so far!! You have so many great pictures too!! I love the one of you two in front of mile marker 2 (?), and the first photopass picture is super cute-- your legs looks amazing! (haha is that a weird things to say?? probably!) And I was cracking up at your partners statue picture. So perfect!

I really haven't worried much about it. The first time we did this, I was really paranoid about fueling and racing, but I just go ahead and eat normal fueling stuff (sports beans primarily) for races and find I don't have any trouble adapting. I will say ever since switching to low carb, I don't feel like I need to fuel as much during races without crashing and that seems to be the case even if I eat carbs before the races too.
Thanks for the insight! I've only been LCHF for 8 months. Sounds like I'll just have to go through some trial and error to figure out what works best but glad to hear you haven't experienced any major issues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter