Second Guessing Myself-Booked Beach Club but Starting to Think Poly Studio

Little E

DIS Veteran
Hi Disfriends!

We are excited about our 2020 spring break trip, as it will probably be the last family trip we take with both boys in high school. We have stayed at a variety of values, mods, and deluxe resorts in the past, and we've loved them all.

We have never stayed at the BC before, and we agreed to try out a deluxe that is walking distance to EP and HS. We have a garden/woods view booked at the BC, and we are excited about this new area to explore.

I'm traveling with DH, DS18 who will be a senior in high school, and DS15 who will be a freshman. Here's where I'm sort of second guessing myself...

We need three sleep surfaces, as no one will sleep with DS15...he's a blender when he sleeps. :rotfl2: DS18 is ssllloooowww moving in the am, and he's a shower hog.:rolleyes: One boy is a pool lover, and one boy is "meh" about pool time. Also, I am eating a little differently these days; I have IBS and I have cut flour and sugar from my diet and feel so much better eating this way. I know that this will sort of be a challenge at WDW, and I'm thinking I will have to either pack some food in my suitcase or place an order with a grocery delivery service. I'm thinking a microwave will be really helpful for me in this regard. All of these things lead me to wonder if a studio at the Poly wouldn't be better for our needs? We stayed at the Poly back in 2013 in a standard room, and we really liked the Poly and being on the monorail so close to both MK and EP. A studio would give us three sleep surfaces like the BC would, it would give us a microwave, it would give us two bathrooms, and am I right in thinking a little more square footage over a BC room? Every square foot helps with two teenage boys!!

However, we are looking forward to experiencing a new resort...we stay at a new resort every time we go to Disney and have never stayed in the Epcot area. My kids are looking forward to hooking up with other kids who are traveling to Disney at the same time, and I sort of think it will be easier for them to meet up with friends if they can walk to two different parks?

I just priced out a comparison, and a Poly studio is only about $250 more than the BC room we have booked for our dates. Ugh! Dis folks...what should I do? Keep BC or switch to Poly? Tell me what's great about the BC, or tell me why I should switch to a Poly studio.

Thanks so much...you all are always so wise and helpful!

How tall is your 15 yr old? You don't really have two bathrooms, just two bathing areas and one toilet.

@Deb & Bill our DS15 is a tiny dude. We stayed at POR for a night before our cruise in March of this year, and he slept on the pull down bed there without any difficulty.

As far as bathrooms go, I realize that we don't have two full baths, but having two showers is a major plus. Kid #1 spends what seems like HOURS in the shower...it's a major bummer trying to get anywhere quickly (think RD in the am) when he hogs the shower.

If you are willing to book a studio and want to be in the EP/DHS area, why not consider a studio at BCV or BWV? You wouldn't get the split bath, but you would get the sleep surfaces and microwave you are looking for. I would also keep an eye out when (if) discounts come out to see if you might be able to stretch your budget to a 2-bedroom villa at BCV and BWV. That would fit all criteria.

@DisneyWishes14 I hadn't really thought about the studios at BC or BW. Are those studios the same size as the Poly studios? I think, at this point, the big draw of the Poly studio is the split bathrooms. Two showers means less hollering at DS to get out of the shower so someone else can get in! :crazy:

To that end, how do the Epcot area studios as well as the Poly studio compare square footage-wise to regular rooms at these resorts? Are they any bigger?

@DisneyWishes14 I hadn't really thought about the studios at BC or BW. Are those studios the same size as the Poly studios? I think, at this point, the big draw of the Poly studio is the split bathrooms. Two showers means less hollering at DS to get out of the shower so someone else can get in! :crazy:
No, they are not the same. You might have a little more space in the living area, but the bathroom will had a tub/shower combo with the toilet in one room and the sink right outside that room.

To that end, how do the Epcot area studios as well as the Poly studio compare square footage-wise to regular rooms at these resorts? Are they any bigger?

BC/YC standard rooms - 381 sq. feet
BCV studio - 365 sq. feet
BWV studio - 359 sq. feet
Poly studio - 465 sq. feet

The studios also feel bigger, IMHO, if you decide to put the pull-outs away during the day.

We've stayed at both BC and in a Poly Studio. The Poly studio is bigger and the 2 shower/bath areas are nice for showers/brushing your teeth. The larger bathroom is a bit of a waste of space in the lay out but that's neither here nor there... The kitchenette is tiny but functional especially if you are really just looking for fridge/microwave. We really liked our Poly stay for location to MK but didn't find the monorail to be a selling point for us. We had torrential rain while we were there and ended up soaked everyday getting to and from our room. Especially liked being able to order the twilight feast from Ohana from room service!

As for BC, it's our favorite resort with YC a really close second. While only 1 bathroom, at least the sink is outside the shower/toilet area so both spaces can be used at the same time. For us, the ability to walk to 2 parks cannot be over emphasized, especially if the kids are allowed to come and go on their own. The pool is really nice, food options are many when you consider that there are 3 resorts so close and Epcot a quick 5 minute walk and all the options there. On a rainy or extremely hot day it's really nice to be in one building to get to your room.

Hi Disfriends!

We are excited about our 2020 spring break trip, as it will probably be the last family trip we take with both boys in high school. We have stayed at a variety of values, mods, and deluxe resorts in the past, and we've loved them all.

We have never stayed at the BC before, and we agreed to try out a deluxe that is walking distance to EP and HS. We have a garden/woods view booked at the BC, and we are excited about this new area to explore.

I'm traveling with DH, DS18 who will be a senior in high school, and DS15 who will be a freshman. Here's where I'm sort of second guessing myself...

We need three sleep surfaces, as no one will sleep with DS15...he's a blender when he sleeps. :rotfl2: DS18 is ssllloooowww moving in the am, and he's a shower hog.:rolleyes: One boy is a pool lover, and one boy is "meh" about pool time. Also, I am eating a little differently these days; I have IBS and I have cut flour and sugar from my diet and feel so much better eating this way. I know that this will sort of be a challenge at WDW, and I'm thinking I will have to either pack some food in my suitcase or place an order with a grocery delivery service. I'm thinking a microwave will be really helpful for me in this regard. All of these things lead me to wonder if a studio at the Poly wouldn't be better for our needs? We stayed at the Poly back in 2013 in a standard room, and we really liked the Poly and being on the monorail so close to both MK and EP. A studio would give us three sleep surfaces like the BC would, it would give us a microwave, it would give us two bathrooms, and am I right in thinking a little more square footage over a BC room? Every square foot helps with two teenage boys!!

However, we are looking forward to experiencing a new resort...we stay at a new resort every time we go to Disney and have never stayed in the Epcot area. My kids are looking forward to hooking up with other kids who are traveling to Disney at the same time, and I sort of think it will be easier for them to meet up with friends if they can walk to two different parks?

I just priced out a comparison, and a Poly studio is only about $250 more than the BC room we have booked for our dates. Ugh! Dis folks...what should I do? Keep BC or switch to Poly? Tell me what's great about the BC, or tell me why I should switch to a Poly studio.

You'll have less living space with a Poly villa, even after the pull-outs are put away. Their living space is fairly small, because a lot of the villa's square footage is taken up by the two big bathrooms. Stick with the Beach Club resort room. That will be more comfortable with two adults and two teens.

Hi Disfriends! Tell me what's great about the BC, or tell me why I should switch to a Poly studio.

I think you would LOVE BC, we’ve stayed at Poly 2x- studio and standard room..the only reason we stay at Poly is if we are planning on visiting MK more than other parks- We are staying BC/YC and think we’ll love being close to Epcot & HS.

Thank you, Dis friends, for your help. Your thoughts are so appreciated! I double checked, and my math was off a little. It's about $600 more for the Poly studio. I'm trying to determine if the three things I value most about the Poly studio-the space, the microwave and the two showers-are worth $600. I cannot stress enough how much oldest DS is a shower hog. It's really a drag.

The younger DS will love the BC pool, but the oldest really could care less about the BC pool. Both really liked the Poly when we stayed in a standard room many years ago, and we do spend a lot of time at MK. However, SWGE will be open when we go, and I can see both spending way more time at HS this trip. The ability to walk there (plus EP) is huge. *sigh* I wish BC studios had the split bathrooms like Poly. That would solve all my problems.

Any other things I'm not considering either about the Poly or BC?

Also, I am eating a little differently these days; I have IBS and I have cut flour and sugar from my diet and feel so much better eating this way. I know that this will sort of be a challenge at WDW, and I'm thinking I will have to either pack some food in my suitcase or place an order with a grocery delivery service.

I think being walking distance to EP & HS will be more enjoyable for two teen boys than MK/EP via monorail. Eating low sugar/flour is no problem at WDW. The restaurants are very accommodating. You can bring food to cook in a microwave, but the restaurants can always sub veggies for starches.

Have a great vacation!

Hi all! At this point, we have decided to sit tight with our BC room and not make a switch to the Poly. If any discounts come out, we may consider a switch, but for now, we look forward to being within walking distance to EP and HS. Thanks so much for all of your input!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter