Seaworld roller coasters compared to Universal and Disney coasters...

biochemgirl

DIS Veteran
I'm autistic and struggle with new experiences and sensory overwhelm and I love roller coasters and theme park systems. Research and preparation is my jam :)

I'm looking at buying an annual pass to Seaworld and taking advantage of the current sale. It will mean lots of research before my first visit at the end of June!

Can anyone that also frequents the Universal and Disney parks in the Orlando area compare the coasters at Seaworld to others like Velocicoaster, Hulk, Expedition Everest, Rockin Rollercoaster, etc?

Thank you :)

Hi!

Have you ever been to a Busch Gardens of Cedar park? They are very similar coasters imho. I haven't been to SeaWorld in about 5 years, but I can tell you Mako is similar to Apollo's Chariot in Busch Gardens Williamsburg.

I know there are a lot of POV videos out there, and if you do well with some of the coasters you mentioned in your post you should be good with those at Sea World! :)

I would call SW's coasters most similar to Hulk, of all the Universal coasters. They are cool, decent length, "themed" a bit but mostly by a few decorations around rather than anything actually with the ride itself. Great, fun coasters that do neat things, not as much fancy moves as Velocicoaster. Not as "intense" as Velocicoaster, from a flipping around hang-onto-your-seat sense.
  • Manta is up amongst my favorite coasters because of the unique ride style, laying beneath the track. Every seat is a good view, and it's a smooth comfortable ride.
  • Mako is super smooth & fantastic speed, a joy to ride. High hills, long ride, so much fun.
  • Kraken is older - do you have a Six Flags around? Kraken is like the Batman coaster at Six Flags New England (exact same cars). A lot of fun too, it focuses on lots of inversions.
  • Ice Breaker I've only done once. The launch was neat & it was an interesting loading mechanism, but not as good as SW's other coasters IME.
I think SW has the best coaster collection in Orlando. I also think that Busch Gardens' & Cedar Point's coasters are fantastic & well worth a trip, if you have a chance.

Some notes on the SW water rides:
Journey to Atlantis is cute though aging, you will be splashed but generally not truly soaked. Top half much wetter than bottom. Similar in wetness & intensity to Jurassic Park River Adventure, but Journey to Atlantis has more coaster elements than JP.

Infinity Falls is a whole lot of fun, with some different elements that I haven't seen in any other raft rides. Wetness is quite unpredictable, you may be partially soaked or you may be barely wetted. Maybe 30% chance of drenching of at least half your body. Maybe 30% chance of barely wetted. If possible, ride a few times. Not like Popeyes where you come off sopping wet 80% of the time.

Thank you for this question and the responses. We likely will be trying out SeaWorld this weekend, and I've not been on any of their coasters. I mainly want to do Mako, as it gets such rave reviews from folks. Hope it's not too crazy. I may try Manta, and if we can manage a ride on the new Pipeline, maybe that one....not sure though about that one> I 'm a shortie, and I think I'll be off the ground a lot. I do plan to skip Ice Breaker. I do not like coasters that go backwards that much.
Glad for all the info, and thanks for starting the thread!

Thank you for this question and the responses. We likely will be trying out SeaWorld this weekend, and I've not been on any of their coasters. I mainly want to do Mako, as it gets such rave reviews from folks. Hope it's not too crazy. I may try Manta, and if we can manage a ride on the new Pipeline, maybe that one....not sure though about that one> I 'm a shortie, and I think I'll be off the ground a lot. I do plan to skip Ice Breaker. I do not like coasters that go backwards that much.
Glad for all the info, and thanks for starting the thread!
Same, I'm looking forward to the coasters you listed and have decided that Ice Breaker probably won't work for me. I get sick quickly with backwards launches. I can barely tolerate Hagrid's, Expedition Everest, and Cosmic Reward because of the backwards portions.

What about Kraken? On your list?

I will probably try Kraken. I can tolerate Everest, and most of Guardians..but GotG definitely got to me. It's so fun though. I think I've figured out when to close my eyes on it. Hagrids got to me too the first time.

With the exception of the kiddy coaster in Sesame Street and Ice Breaker, the coasters at SW are more extreme than Disney (haven't been on Pipeline yet)

Mako has extreme air, first time riding is really thrilling.
Ice Breaker is nice , the launches are fun.
Kraken is a bit edgier as it is older.
Manta is phenomenal and smooth.
Going to ride Pipeline next weekend.
Front seat POV vids on YouTube are always helpful.

Mako has extreme air, first time riding is really thrilling.
Ice Breaker is nice , the launches are fun.
Kraken is a bit edgier as it is older.
Manta is phenomenal and smooth.
Going to ride Pipeline next weekend.
Front seat POV vids on YouTube are always helpful.
I agree with all these general descriptions. Mako is one of my all-time favorite roller coasters. I love the smooth speed and the air time. It has only a lap restraint, which adds to the intensity IMO. When the ride is over I always find that I’ve unconsciously wrapped my ankles around the post of the restraint.

I would also add that Manta has something called a pretzel loop. It has a more intense application of g forces than normal loops, but it’s still smooth. It caught me off guard the first time I rode it. Be sure to pull the restraint nice and tight.

I once was stuck on Mako for at least 20 minutes facing straight down about 2/3 of the way through the ride, in sunlight. I don’t normally get panicky or anxious, but I was close to a panic attack and really claustrophobic. Have loved it otherwise, as well as the rest. Kraken hurts my neck and shoulders a bit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!