Seasoned flyers please help!

MARCIAKAZ

Proud to be called Disney Geek by my kids!
We're planning a trip for 4 from DFW to MCO Dec. 27- Jan. 6. Airfares are high, and getting higher, apparantly. It looks like I can get a good return flight fare ($99) on AA, which is even a lot better than what SW is offering. The departing flight is super high (NS $407, 1 stop $244). Does it make sense to lock in the return flight and wait for a better price on the departure flight? Or, do you usually get a better deal if you buy ropund trip instead of 2 one-way fares? Other suggestions about how to handle this?? Thanks!!

I'd wait for better rates. That is way too much for you departing flight.... the return flight is fine, but why have a return flight until you know if you going to by flying. At that rate I'd drive.

We always book two one ways. I might book the return only and wait for the outbound if I thought it was a good enough deal, and knew there was no chance I would cancel the trip even if I did end up having to pay a lot for the outbound flight. But I would say its still early enough to wait a bit and I think you might have better luck with SW when they start having sales. Plus SW has a great credit policy when prices drop. Good Luck

It is not a good idea to buy a one way ticket on AA and wait for a lower fare in the other direction if you might buy that ticket also on AA. It is usually a lot more expensive to buy two 1 way tickets vs a RT ticket on a legacy airline.

You are traveling at an expensive time. I suggest that if you see a good fare, jump on it.

I think you have picked a bad time to hope for "good fare" The $99 is great, the others are realistic for the time of year.......

(Have you priced this as a roundtrip on AA? AA and other airlines do NOT give thier best deals on one way ticket. The exception to that rule is SW. So on AA you should probably try round trip. I just checked Expeida and found $335 roundtrip, non stop on AirTran and $343 on AA. If it were me I would book now....)

Thanks to all for your tips. Carol--I actually started at AA.com looking at a round trip fare. The best non-stop fare was like $506, but I noticed they were pricing it in two parts, just like SW does. That's what got me to thinking about buying the airfare in two parts. I had always thought there was some sort of break when you book round trip. Anyway, I'll try again--I know things can change fast!

HI
I live in the DFW area and only fly AA I just checked for you and it is still 198 round trip. We leave on Oct 20 and bought ours for 198 RT about 3 weeks ago . The AA site drops the fares on Wed night pretty much every week but it has not dipped below the 198 mark yet : )

Also check out Farecast.com it is a neat site that helps you to see when to buy and not buy air .

PM me if you have any questions , we fly AA about 6 times a year .

Mad4Mickey

Oops sorry I just saw your dates it may be hard to get something cheap that close to Christmas .

You are flying at a peak time of the year. I would look everyday and grab something in your price range. I would be very surprised if you get anything under 149 DFW/MCO.
We fly from NY to MCO every year at that time. I usually get my tickets at the 330 day mark.If you see a great fare grab it ASAP.

Don't wait too long...it is that 12/27 flight that is going to be hard to come by and expensive. DFW is not known for their low fares to anyplace! I doubt of you will do any better than the $99 for the return, but the first leg is probably going to be pretty painful!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter