Sea Treck Helmet Dive

Weedy

DIS Veteran
We have this excursion planned and I just looked and it said that children must weigh 80 pounds. My 12 year old weighs 70 and my 11 year old weighs 72. Did they weigh the kids when you went? Does it matter? They have similar excursions in other places with no weight restrictions. Was it any fun???

We did a Sea Trek with the Sharks on our own at Atlantis. There was an age restriction; but I don't recall anything about weight. It might be because of the size and weight of the helmet. The helmet is fairly heavy on the way down, it rests on your shoulders. For smaller people (including some adults) they put floats on the top of it to help lift it. Once in the water, it was fine.

OMG!
Ds had wanted to do this for years and we finally did in Nov.:thumbsup2
It was so awesome. They didn't weigh any kids but my ds was the youngest there. It was less than 2 mos before his 12th bday. He weighs about 100 lbs so maybe they might question the weight if a child has a lean/petite build.

The helmet is somewhat heavy but once you're under water, it's more buoyant. It gave me a bit of claustrophobia when they 1st put it on (while standing on the ladder off the back of the boat, chest deep in water)
I had to ask him to quick pull it off. No one else had this so I think it's just me.. lol!
Let me clarify this by saying that I would not have chosen this for myself. Ds had wanted it so badly since 2004, our 1st cruise, and dh designated me to go w/ him. I was really just doing it for ds and of course he couldn't go alone. He's wanted to be a scuba diver since he was 3.

You go down the ladder, 30' down, one person at a time, with a scuba diver staying right with you as you descend, and a guide already on the ocean floor with the group and another stays on the boat. Your ears pop as you go down; similar to flying on a plane except that you are in total control of how fast you want to go down.

It was a bit scary but once I got down it was so AWESOME!!!! I can't even describe how totally cool it was. If you know the Magic School Bus cartoon, I felt like we were shrunken down with Ms. Frizzle and put inside a huge aquaruim. We could feed fish and more which I don't want to give away the whole thing.

I can tell you the video was like $76 and it was so neat I bought it. (Good thing dh wasn't there for that part!) They do accept credit cards and it's shipped to your home after editing. It arrived in a few weeks.

This was the highlight of our trip. As I said, I would not have chosen this but once I did it, I was so glad I did. :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

ps. They did have us fill out a medical questionaire asking if you have asthma, high bp, ear problems, surgical history, etc. Ds has very mild asthma and I have chronic sinus problems. They said it was ok as long as I didn't have surgery or most importanly, open heart surgery in the past.

My son did this in Aruba (with DH) and he was only 10 (turning 11 in a couple months after the cruise). We booked this on our own- not thru DCL. They also only mentioned the weight- not the age. Our son is NOT tall for his age-actually on the short side (but he's trying to make up for it this year! LOL) and he only weighed in the 70-80lb range (he fluctuates a lot but I'd say he was in that range). No they didn't weigh him... but maybe they just look at them and see if they can handle it? Or maybe they just put the weight to make sure it's not a really thin/little child that can't handle the helmet?

Anyway- my son LOVED LOVED LOVED it. :) My DH would prefer scuba diving but he enjoyed doing this with DS.

OMG!
It was so awesome. They didn't weigh any kids but my ds was the youngest there. It was less than 2 mos before his 12th bday. He weighs about 100 lbs so maybe they might question the weight if a child has a lean/petite build.

The helmet is somewhat heavy but once you're under water, it's more buoyant. It gave me a bit of claustrophobia when they 1st put it on (while standing on the ladder off the back of the boat, chest deep in water)
I had to ask him to quick pull it off. No one else had this so I think it's just me.. lol!
Let me clarify this by saying that I would not have chosen this for myself. Ds had wanted it so badly since 2004, our 1st cruise, and dh designated me to go w/ him. I was really just doing it for ds and of course he couldn't go alone. He's wanted to be a scuba diver since he was 3.

You go down the ladder, 30' down, one person at a time, with a scuba diver staying right with you as you descend, and a guide already on the ocean floor with the group and another stays on the boat. Your ears pop as you go down; similar to flying on a plane except that you are in total control of how fast you want to go down.

It was a bit scary but once I got down it was so AWESOME!!!! I can't even describe how totally cool it was. If you know the Magic School Bus cartoon, I felt like we were shrunken down with Ms. Frizzle and put inside a huge aquaruim. We could feed fish and more which I don't want to give away the whole thing.

I can tell you the video was like $76 and it was so neat I bought it. (Good thing dh wasn't there for that part!) They do accept credit cards and it's shipped to your home after editing. It arrived in a few weeks.

This was the highlight of our trip. As I said, I would not have chosen this but once I did it, I was so glad I did. :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

ps. They did have us fill out a medical questionaire asking if you have asthma, high bp, ear problems, surgical history, etc. Ds has very mild asthma and I have chronic sinus problems. They said it was ok as long as I didn't have surgery or most importanly, open heart surgery in the past.

I loved this excursion report. I don't know if you can give me any more information, however, if you know, can you tell me about the heart surgery provision? My ds is only 5, but needed heart surgery at 2 to correct an congenital defect. Does this mean he can never do something like this? (I know, as his mom, I should know this kind of thing, but the cardiologist is mainly giving us age appropriate information at each appt.)

Thanks!

We are booked in St Thomas/St John and it list a weight restriction. Has anyone gone on this one? Did they weigh the kids?

OMG!

We are trying to decide if we should do this excursion. Which port did you book this at, GC or Coz? If it was Coz did you do the Chankanaab or Pearl Farm version and did you see any hurricane damage (I had heard there was some damage this past season. And finally did you book through DCL or on your own?

Thanks

I loved this excursion report. I don't know if you can give me any more information, however, if you know, can you tell me about the heart surgery provision? My ds is only 5, but needed heart surgery at 2 to correct an congenital defect. Does this mean he can never do something like this? (I know, as his mom, I should know this kind of thing, but the cardiologist is mainly giving us age appropriate information at each appt.)

Thanks!

I'm not sure. No one in our group was denied.:confused3 Do you know if they opened your son's chest completely? I know some procedures on the heart are not wide open. I would definitely ask your cardiologist. Did your doc ever mention any diving limits? I know when my little ds had tubes in his ears, they said not to let him swim more than like 8 ft. I forget now the exact measurement... He was only 2.5 then and would cry over 2 drops of water on his face so I knew it wouldn't matter if the limit was 6", it wouldn't happen. lol!

Your helmet is attached by hose to regular atmospheric air, not oxygen. The issue is the depth and pressure on your body. I can say it was much easier than the pain in my ears I get when flying. By real SCUBA diving standards, 30' isn't very deep.

Between ds and I, we ended up checking "yes" for so many medical issues and they kind of blew it all off. (High BP, sinus problems, asthma) Apparently others checked yes and there was some confusion, then they announced that it was ok as a long as we didn't have open surgery to the chest. I guess that could be lung too, not just cardiac. Truthfully since it didn't apply to us, I didn't question any further.

We 1st discovered this type of excursion in Coz on a Carnival cruise. Ds12 was only 7 and still wanted to do it. They required a doc's note for asthmatics so if you are considering doing this with your son someday, I would bring a note from your cardiologist saying it's ok. (This was not our reason for not doing it then. We were with my parents and opted to do something we could all do together. Five cruises later, I'm comfortable with going our separate ways when necessary.)

Honestly, I can't find my video now. :sad1: I know it has the name of the company on it. Perhaps you could email them and ask what specific medical condition would make them deny a guest. It's bad enough to not be able to do an excursion but worse if you paid for it and get there and then discover you can't do it. :eek: It wasn't cheap and my kid's disappointment would break my heart.
I will keep looking when I get a chance. (I'm just returning to work after my own sinus surgery and dh is away in Boston for a funeral.) I'll let you know as soon as I find it. :goodvibes

We are trying to decide if we should do this excursion. Which port did you book this at, GC or Coz? If it was Coz did you do the Chankanaab or Pearl Farm version and did you see any hurricane damage (I had heard there was some damage this past season. And finally did you book through DCL or on your own?

Thanks

We did this in GC and booked thru DCL. I didn't see any evidence of hurricane damage and this was not our 1st to CG or Coz. :goodvibes

Yay! :yay: I found the video!
www.seatrekcayman.com

I sure wish I had an underwater still camera with me too. Then I could post some photos. Sorry everyone! :headache:

Just do it and see for yourself. Way more fun than the beach!:cool2:

I'm not sure. No one in our group was denied.:confused3 Do you know if they opened your son's chest completely? I know some procedures on the heart are not wide open. I would definitely ask your cardiologist. Did your doc ever mention any diving limits? I know when my little ds had tubes in his ears, they said not to let him swim more than like 8 ft. I forget now the exact measurement... He was only 2.5 then and would cry over 2 drops of water on his face so I knew it wouldn't matter if the limit was 6", it wouldn't happen. lol!

Your helmet is attached by hose to regular atmospheric air, not oxygen. The issue is the depth and pressure on your body. I can say it was much easier than the pain in my ears I get when flying. By real SCUBA diving standards, 30' isn't very deep.

Between ds and I, we ended up checking "yes" for so many medical issues and they kind of blew it all off. (High BP, sinus problems, asthma) Apparently others checked yes and there was some confusion, then they announced that it was ok as a long as we didn't have open surgery to the chest. I guess that could be lung too, not just cardiac. Truthfully since it didn't apply to us, I didn't question any further.

We 1st discovered this type of excursion in Coz on a Carnival cruise. Ds12 was only 7 and still wanted to do it. They required a doc's note for asthmatics so if you are considering doing this with your son someday, I would bring a note from your cardiologist saying it's ok. (This was not our reason for not doing it then. We were with my parents and opted to do something we could all do together. Five cruises later, I'm comfortable with going our separate ways when necessary.)

Honestly, I can't find my video now. :sad1: I know it has the name of the company on it. Perhaps you could email them and ask what specific medical condition would make them deny a guest. It's bad enough to not be able to do an excursion but worse if you paid for it and get there and then discover you can't do it. :eek: It wasn't cheap and my kid's disappointment would break my heart.
I will keep looking when I get a chance. (I'm just returning to work after my own sinus surgery and dh is away in Boston for a funeral.) I'll let you know as soon as I find it. :goodvibes

My son has cystic Fibrosis and juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. We were able to do both Sea trek and snuba....

He will never be able to Scuba becasue of his condition, so this was as good as it gets! He loved it. I thank God, he had this oportunity and that snuba and Sea trek are alternatives......

He were given permission from doctors at Children's hospital he attends and they gave us a note. This was acceptable to all parties in Cozumel, Mexico. This was in DEc/08

Charleyann

My son has cystic Fibrosis and juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. We were able to do both Sea trek and snuba....

He will never be able to Scuba becasue of his condition, so this was as good as it gets! He loved it. I thank God, he had this oportunity and that snuba and Sea trek are alternatives......

He were given permission from doctors at Children's hospital he attends and they gave us a note. This was acceptable to all parties in Cozumel, Mexico. This was in DEc/08

Charleyann

Dear Charleyann and ruadisneyfan2,

My great thanks to you. Yes, Colin did have full open heart surgery. Actually, it was his breastbone that was the slowest to heal. He had both a large hole and a valve problem which necessitated full open heart surgery. Now I know I have more questions to ask. He is only 5, so seatrek won't be in our future tomorrow, but I'm hoping it will be someday!

Ok I answered my own question. I called and spoke directly to Coral World. They told me that the helmet weighs 70 pounds. They want the child to weight more than the helmet. He suggest snuba instead. You can't book it through Disney but you can book it directly through them. It would be about a 30 minute cab ride at $9.00 per person.

http://www.coralworldvi.com/activities/sea-trek.html

Ok I answered my own question. I called and spoke directly to Coral World. They told me that the helmet weighs 70 pounds. They want the child to weight more than the helmet. He suggest snuba instead. You can't book it through Disney but you can book it directly through them. It would be about a 30 minute cab ride at $9.00 per person.

http://www.coralworldvi.com/activities/sea-trek.html

We cruise in August and booked the Coral World sea lion swim. I'm really excited. I think it's weird that Disney will take you on an excursion to Coral World, but doesn't actually mention all of the cool things available at Coral World. On our first cruise I learned about the Disney markup for booking at Atlantis and decided I wouldn't book excursions through them that I didn't need to.
:rolleyes1

We cruise in August and booked the Coral World sea lion swim. I'm really excited. I think it's weird that Disney will take you on an excursion to Coral World, but doesn't actually mention all of the cool things available at Coral World. On our first cruise I learned about the Disney markup for booking at Atlantis and decided I wouldn't book excursions through them that I didn't need to.
:rolleyes1
Yes, all cruise lines add in some profit for themselves too. The only benefit to booking thru the ship is that if the excursion runs late or gets delayed somehow, the ship will wait for you. If you're on your own, then you're REALLY on your own.
I don't mind going on our own for something simple, say, a taxi to a beach but anything that involves another boat ride, I worry if it breaks down and we need another boat to come out and get us, then I like knowing the ship will wait for us. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter