Sea Lice?

gayles

DIS Veteran
What is the name of the product to buy ? I could be wrong about this . I went to CVS ( in Charleston , S.C. ) The Consulting desk . She looked at me like I had 3 Heads .

if there is a dive shop around they often carry it

btw ... not an endorsement ... have never needed the stuff .... all ya need is GOOD rinsing ....

I never thought i would need it because our first trip was fine. On our second trip we all had problems early in the morning. My kids didn't want to go back in the water. They also sell it at castaway cay so they are aware there is a problem. It was about $8 in the shop.

I never thought i would need it because our first trip was fine. On our second trip we all had problems early in the morning. My kids didn't want to go back in the water. They also sell it at castaway cay so they are aware there is a problem. It was about $8 in the shop.

What month did you have trouble with sea lice? Are there any products that people know of that definitely work?

They also sell it at castaway cay so they are aware there is a problem.

Anywhere there is water where jellyfish might be might have the problem. It's larval jellyfish. Go when there might be larval jellyfish, and hapoen to be where they are, and it might cause issues.

What month did you have trouble with sea lice? Are there any products that people know of that definitely work?

The product discussed here acts as a barrier to them so if you swim through they can't "sting" you. But you put it everywhere; not like sunscreen.

Anywhere there is water where jellyfish might be might have the problem. It's larval jellyfish. Go when there might be larval jellyfish, and hapoen to be where they are, and it might cause issues.

The product discussed here acts as a barrier to them so if you swim through they can't "sting" you. But you put it everywhere; not like sunscreen.
I seem to recall warnings growing up near the beach in South Florida that the sea lice liked to burrow under the elastic of bathing suits.

OMG something new I learned today.. I have never heard of 1 Sea Lice 2. there is a lotion for jellyfish and sea lice... Another thing to spend hours googling on. :worried:

OMG something new I learned today.. I have never heard of 1 Sea Lice 2. there is a lotion for jellyfish and sea lice... Another thing to spend hours googling on. :worried:

From what I understand, they are not really what we would call "lice" as I always thought, but are larval jellyfish. From what I read, you should not rinse off with your swim suit on bc they could embed in your suit and make the stinging worse. I'm trying to figure out if there are certain months where they are worse than others since we are going late August when jellyfish seem to get worse. I've read there could just be outbreaks of them so they sound unpredictable maybe? I think I'll buy the spray sun burn relief just in case, sounded as if that would lessen the stinging on your skin.

We went the first week of April this year and had an issue close to the water slides. We went in 2015 at the same time and did not have a problem. It wasn't terrible but we noticed it and then decided we were still going to have fun and went back in the water.

They definitely can ruin a bathing suit, especially if you have sensitive skin. A friend of mine, who is fair haired and has skin allergies, got them in her suit while snorkeling. She tried rinsing it out and washing it in the washer but no luck. She even tried washing it at home, even tried hot water at some point. I think she also tried vinegar. The suit kept causing a rash, so into the trash it went. DH and I went through a school of baby ones, not quite larval. DH had shaved that morning and has sensitive skin. He had a slight rash and tingling on his face. That's the only time we have ever experienced anything with jelly fish. We could see these and probably could have avoided them by going around or going deeper. We didn't know what they were. Sea lice might not be very visible though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter