Scrapbooking Group

Sleepy Dragon

Earning My Ears
Please be gentle with me as this is my first thread on the new Dis Boards. I have been reading for a while now but have become ultra excited over the interest in scrapbooking.

I started around Christmas time and am currently scrapbooking our trip to DLP at New Year. I then have to do our shareholder preview visit to DLP Studios, 2 trips to Disney on Ice - anyone notice a familiar theme.

Needless to say I am on the constant look out for Disney scrap stuff so guess how excited I was to discover MouseMemories.com. Although this is a US site and haven't ordered anything yet (worried about the postage and taxes!!!) I am gradually getting a shopping list together. Hope DH isn't reading!!

Does anyone have any tips from ordering items over the internet from USA ie how much before you get stung for the various duties.

Hope all your scrapbook pages are going well-mine take ages to complete but I am so pleased with the end result as I'm not particularly arty.

Regards to you all

Julie

Hi Julie,

have you found the UK Scrapbooking stores? I have found they have most of what I want, including some disney stuff, although not necessarily the same stuff that mouse memories have.

I have only ordered from the USA twice, the first time the postage was $5, so fair enough - the second time it was over $25 - I thought this was a little excessive, so I haven't done it again.

from what I understand, it the amount declared on the front of your parcel is fairly low (I think under $50) then you should be ok, but if you spend more than that, then you are likely to be hit with VAT as well. I had no problems with my parcels, but they weren't very big.

Have you found the UKScrappers group?
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/UKscrappers

I have found them to be really helpful, and they have get-togethers quite often, which are really fun - I'm not sure where you are, but they crops they hold tend to be in Surbiton, or Essex.

Bev

I;ve just seen, you are in Sussex. I'm sure there is a group on UKScrappers who meet up in Sussex, at Lakenheath Airforce Base (that's off the top fo my head). No idea where that is in relation to you, but might be useful.

Bev

Thanks Bev for your quick reply.

I have found Artbase and made loads of orders from them - nearly filled up my reward card already!!

I found with MouseMemories that they had loads of die cut kits which I haven't been able to find over here - yet!

I did go to the show which was on in Kensington High Street a few weeks ago and the scrapbookhouse had a stall so came away with £50 of stuff from there. I just don't have many completed pages yet to show for all my outgoings!

Thanks for the link to the UK Scrappers Group. I hadn't come across that one so that'll give me something to do at work today!!

Thanks again for the advice.

Julie

Hi Julie

Nice to see you posting again - how's Benji :D Getting big I expect!

I am a newbie Scrapbooker and have just completed my first page - it is on UKScrappers that Bev has given you the link for - it is in the Photo's area.

Artbase also have a small outlet at Lakeside that might be of use to you as it is closer to you. The crop I went to on Sunday was in Stanford le Hope which is 10 minutes from where we met at the UK Dis meet last year - so not much farther on and they are having another crop in May - check out the website for details soon.

Can you scan any of your layouts for us to see?

Hi Janice, Yes we're all fine and Benjie just celebrated his 5th Birthday - gosh I feel old!!

I have visited the Artbase shop in Lakeside but it doesn't have much of a range and if I'm up that way I might as well go on to the Hornchurch shop.

I did try to get into the UK Scrapbookers forum on Yahoo but was having a bit of trouble getting registered - I'll try again today. How did you find your first crop. I haven't been to one yet and would probably feel embarrassed being a newbie and not really knowing what I'm doing! I suppose everyone has to start somewhere.

I haven't got a scanner at home nor work so can't scan my pages yet - but hopefully when I perswade Des that a new computer at home is on our urgent list - after Florida 2003 of course - we may be able to get this in the package.

Happy scrapping.

Julie

Julie the shop in Hornchurch is fantastic - and Emma is a lovely person and so helpful. She showed me her books and her friends books and they were totally inspiring.

Try to get there - it is worth the effort.

My first Crop was fun - but like you say, I was a bit (well - very actually) nervous on my way there. I didnt take any stuff in with me, I left my few bits in the car and when I saw how much everyone had, the cases and cases each person had (like suitcases on wheels!) I felt a bit embarassed. The lady I sat with was just so lovely - she talked me through a lot, and encouraged me to bring my stuff in - I felt a bit stupid with my pizza box of gear, but nobody took any notice at all, and everyone just was so encouraging. I didnt do any work at all, just looked, talked and learned - oh and shopped of course!!

The next one is in May - would you consider coming over for it?

Janice,

I have managed to get to the Hornchurch shop twice now - the second time as a Birthday treat but I had to take Des and Benjie with me who were both a nightmare!!

I don't know about you, I do love internet shopping and it makes thinks much more accessible, but I really do like being able to feel and poke what I'm buying and actually bring it home with me - can't be bothered with waiting for things in the post!!

I've managed to get my password etc sorted on Yahoo now - do you have to join each group separately?

I would probably be interested in the May Crop - as long as I can get a Benjie free pass from Des!!

What pages are you working on at present?

Julie

Details of the May Crop will be on their website soon I would imagine: www.scraptastic.co.uk

The UKScrappers group - I only subscribe to that one and have only been doing so for the last couple of weeks - cant really help much but Bev would know more.

I have only done two pages so far, of my two children when they were younger. I am just choosing my favourites and going with the flow at the moment - they are on the Groups Photo's if you want to have a look.

Hi Julie,

yes, you have to subscribe to each group seperately - there are millions of groups on there

if you go to

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/UKscrappers

I think it will give you an option to sign up, and then you can say if you want to read it online, or via email - I prefer email, but it's up to you. don't choose the digest option, as you won't get any attached layouts that way.

Yahoo is a bit odd, and it does seem to ask you for your password rather frequently - but it should work

and I know exactly what you mean about internet shopping - it fills a gap, but it's not the same as having a proper look around and a coming home with a bag full of stuff

Bev

Yes - that is where I consider myself so lucky to have ArtBase and Scraptastic on my doorstep.

I even found out about a shop in Rayleigh called Pulling on the Glitz which I haven't been to yet but looks great for Stamps from their website: http://www.pullingontheglitz.co.uk/

Again this is just 10 minutes away!

Dont know what I'll do when I move!

Janice & Bev

Thanks for the replies and advice. There is a minefield of information out there and my problem is finding the time to look at all these websites! That reminds me I must give up work soon. I've already notified DH that by the time I'm 35 I will be retiring to spend my time on more interesting things!!

janice, where are you moving to?

Also how do you scan in a 12 x 12 scrapbook layout if you only have an A4 scanner??

Julie

Retiring !??!??

:mad:

How you going to pay for all that paper taking over the house once you've retired :confused:

Des
(DH)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter