Scooters at the airport? (handicapped)

blessedmommyX4

Mouseketeer
My mom is handicapped and there is NO WAY she can walk around Disney for several days- let alone the airport!! We were going to rent a scooter thing for her to take on the trip with us. Scooter- like a wheelchair, only powered!

How do they handle these? I was telling her that with strollers, you push them up to gate and then they take it from there and store it underneath. Can they do that at the airport?

I know they will rent these in Orlando, too- but they will be a lot more $$ and she is on a fixed income. We are on a very budgeted income and will be doing good to pay for her to go. We thought renting it from here would be cheaper and we don't have to worry about trying to go pick it up. We are not renting a car there.

Also- I am guessing ME has a way to trasport wheelchairs/scooters?

thanks in advance!

jenn

Are you sure it's going to be cheaper?

Make sure you understand WHO is going to be responsible for the damage that may occur. Airlines do damage these things and if you are responsible it can get messy.

I would probably post this question on the DISabiliites board for more feedback from people who do this regularly.

Honestly, I would rent from an offsite agency in Orlando. There are many. They deliver it to your resort, and pick it up from your resort. Also, she'll then have it full time around the resort and other places besides the parks. The buses all have lifts and all other transportation is accessible. That way, if the scooter has a problem at Disney, there will be a local contact to fix it and send a replacement at their expense. Ask for wheelchair assistance at the airport.

If you do decide to rent one from home, yes, just tell them you have an ECV. Also make sure it has GEL CEL batteries. She will be able to drive it to the gate, they will take it from there and store it underneath the plane, then return it to her at the gate.

I own my own ECV and I travel with it all over the country.

I gate check it at the airport and they have it waiting for me at the door when we get off the plane.

DME is no problem since I can manage the bus steps ok. The ECV then goes under the bus with the luggage.

If you can't climb the steps to get on the bus you may need to wait a short while for an accessable DME bus to arrive.

I have never had any damage done to my ECV by the airline (only fly SWA) nor have I ever felt they were being anything less than careful with it.

Having said that, if I did not own my own equipment and need my ECV at the airport I would wait and rent one when I arrived at WDW.

I own my own ECV and I travel with it all over the country.

I gate check it at the airport and they have it waiting for me at the door when we get off the plane.

DME is no problem since I can manage the bus steps ok. The ECV then goes under the bus with the luggage.

If you can't climb the steps to get on the bus you may need to wait a short while for an accessable DME bus to arrive.

I have never had any damage done to my ECV by the airline (only fly SWA) nor have I ever felt they were being anything less than careful with it.

Having said that, if I did not own my own equipment and need my ECV at the airport I would wait and rent one when I arrived at WDW.

thank you all for your responses. i am going to check the orlando area for rentals.

I am sure you can get names and phone numbers for companies that rent in the Orlando area on the DisAbililities board here on the DIS.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter