Scooter Rentals at WDW

mamabear0222

Countdown to 2014 trip
On our family trip we will be taking my 70 yr old Mom with us.
While in otherwise decent health, she will not be able to walk the day without renting a scooter.

1. Can we do this when we get to the park or does she need to do this in advance?

2. Where does she park it if she gets on a ride?

3. Towards the end of the day she wont be able to stand for long periods of time, (her hips bother her after sitting/walking for the day) .. what happens then for rides when she cant stand in line??

Thanks in advance!!

On our family trip we will be taking my 70 yr old Mom with us.
While in otherwise decent health, she will not be able to walk the day without renting a scooter.

1. Can we do this when we get to the park or does she need to do this in advance? Either, but WDW often runs out of them. It's cheaper to rent off-site and the scooters are better quality and easier to maneuver, plus you can keep them overnight to ride around the hotel and Downtown Disney.

2. Where does she park it if she gets on a ride? With the strollers. She keeps the key.

3. Towards the end of the day she wont be able to stand for long periods of time, (her hips bother her after sitting/walking for the day) .. what happens then for rides when she cant stand in line?? She'll ride the scooter through most of the lines. Some of the rides that aren't scooter friendly will have a wheelchair she can use in line.

Thanks in advance!!

Have a great trip.

Follow the link in my signature to the disABILITIES FAQs thread (you can also find it near the top of this board).
Post 2 of that thread is about renting ECVs and wheelchairs and has phone numbers and links to companies recommended most by DIS posters.

There are some other posts in that thread that will also be helpful to you - post 1 is an index that will tell you where to look for things.

As was already mentioned, most lines are accessible to both wheelchairs and ECVs. For the ones that are not ECV accessible, you can park the ECV with the strollers - if she doesn't think she an walk, ask the CM to borrow an attractin wheelchair. All lines are wheelchair accessible to the point of boarding.

you'll have a great time!
As for scooters be sure to read my post titled "Walker Mobility" may help with your decision.
Be sure to keep plenty of water with you as it can get pretty hot especially for a 70 year old. Also a few power or granola bars can prove a life saver in the parks on long days.

Just to be really clear, she won't need to park OUTSIDE the ride for most rides...they are mainstreamed. She will ride up to the boarding point and they will tell you where to park near the boarding--sometimes they will move the ECV so it is near the exit to make it easier for her. There are a few that she will need to transfer into a wheelchair, but they will tell you the best place to park.

There are very few attractions with places to sit while you wait for the ride...WDWs answer for that is to tell you to rent either a WC or ECV.

You would be much better off renting from an outside vendor because some of the resorts are huge. Getting to her room at the end of the day may be a problem. If you are staying onsite you can use the buses. The driver will help you.

Read the FAQs--you will learn a lot and there is a list of offsite vendors also.

Thanks....we aren't staying onsite ...do they deliver to the parks??

No, but they should deliver one to wherever you are staying. This past Oct/Nov we did a split stay at Westlake Town Center and then at RPR over at Universal. Apple Scooters had no problem dropping it off at bell services at Westlake, then picking it up over at RPR. When I called them, they acted like it was no big deal.

I have known a couple companies to deliver at the gate. For Mk it was at the TTC. It is best to call the companies and ask.

On our last trip we picked our scooter up from Apple Scooters; because, we stayed off site. Their store front is close to Disney World inside a mall; so, it's pretty convenient to go there. I liked it better this way; because, we controlled the time of picking it up and dropping it off. We had to go pass the store to get to our hotel. It worked out perfect for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter