Sci Fi Saturday dinner 05/27/06

Luv2Roam

DIS Veteran
We have given Sci-Fi and few tries. And we think lunch is better than dinner.
But tonight we were at MGM for Star Wars weekend, and wanted a sit down. I called WDW DINE mid afternoon.

Prime Time was booked until 8:45. Brown Derby until 9 p.m. I forgot to ask about Mama Melrose's. I would have been willing to give it a try.

We went with a 7:30 ADR at Sci Fi.

We arrived 45 minutes early and I asked for a front car or table seat. (Did not mind having to wait. Was expecting to no matter what.)

We were seated approx 7:20. Again, certainly not a big deal at all, and felt good about being able to make a late ADR to eat anywhere on a holiday weekend and a SW Weekend too. At least we were sitting and in AC. ;) :goodvibes And we were seated in a front seat, as I requested.

I asked the waiter for a flashlight, and he even brought one. :) (Dark inside with barely enough light to read the menu at all.)

I wanted something cold, so ordered a strawberry shake. DH had a Coke.
We use the DDE discount card.

I knew due to the shake and heat I would not want a large meal, so I ordered BBQ Chicken Sandwich (adding mushrooms for an extra 79 cents).
DH ordered the salmon meal.

Some diners seated behind us were on the DDP.

Sci Fi was busy and the food took awhile. But nothing unexpected.

My food was bland. I did not know a BBQ sandwich could be so bland. Anyone with stomach problems would have liked it. :rotfl2: Even with onion straws on the sandwich (not many) it was BLAND.

With the extra I paid for the mushrooms, I think I got a teaspoon of chopped mushrooms on my sandwich. :confused3

I am not a tomato eater, and luckily through the darkness saw some on the base of the sandwich to pick it off. :lmao:

The bottom of the bun was soaked and was mush. I suppose the tomato that was directly on the base of the bun was wet. :confused3 :rolleyes2 I had to eat the sandwich bottomless, and I did not finish it. Did I mention BLAND? :teeth:

My meal came with fries, that were decent. They were plentiful, and ate maybe only a fourth of them at best. The shake was the best part of my meal.

I should have gone with a shake and an appetizer, and been better off. I told DH I could have gotten a shake and fries most any place.

DH was also disappointed in his meal. The salmon was "okay". The broccoli was cold (but were suppose to have been hot). The carrots were okay. His rice was not cooked enough, and flavorless.

He said he left full, but cheated, even with the DDE discount. He felt the meal was worth half of what we paid.

He asked we cross Sci Fi off our WDW eatery list. The food was fair at best.

I said we may have eaten at a counter service at MGM instead and still paid $20. He said at least at counter service you know what you are getting and don't usually walk away feeling cheated.

The service was fine. No problems with the seating or server. I think they did well for as busy as they were. The food -- eh.

I think Sci-Fi is fine for those on the DDP, or even maybe for lunch. Beyond that -- pass.

Thanks for the review. We will be there next weekend and DH insists that we eat there so I made an ADR for lunch. We are going for the atmosphere and have never been to the studios. I think I am going to stick with a burger, which is the course many seem to recommend.

Thanx for posting. I would agree with you about it being better for lunch than dinner. We have eaten there a few times and don't think we would eat there agaiin.

I agree. That chicken sandwich was quite dry when I had it last! DS loves this place so we keep coming back, but only for lunch. In August my meal will consist of a shake and some onion rings...enough said!

We love Sci Fi, and we eat there every trip. But after having dinner there once, we only go for lunch. Our dinner meal was not good at all.

We stick to the basics (burgers, fries, onion rings, shakes) and have never had a bad lunch there.

As much as we love Sci Fi, we wouldn't go back for dinner. If there were no other sit-downs available at MGM, we'd leave the park to eat.

Sci-Fi is a great family favorite with us, but I agree it's better as a lunch place - or as a dinner place where you order a lunch meal instead.
But OP, why not ask for a new bun??? You don't have to suffer those kinds of things and make the meal even worse when a waiter would have been able to bring you a new, dry bun. I've always found the waitstaff at Sci-Fi to be friendly and helpful.

Yeah, DH said the only good thing about Sci Fi was it was the location for the Star Wars goings on. Which has been spread out even more this year, and they have done even a better job all around. :cool1:
We rode RnRC after the meal. That was a big plus. :goodvibes
If it was not for location, and opened beyond lunch, I think this place would be hurting by word of mouth. But it was packed last night, as to be expected. They did not have enough people to bus tables even.
DH said that Disney restaurants are almost always something to talk about, in a good way. This one is based soley on atmosphere.
To think I paid $14.98 for that crapy chicken sandwich platter last night. (less 20%) :rolleyes2 :crazy:
I could have gone most anywhere and eaten better.

The bun was not that big of a deal. And by the time I waited to flag down the server it would not have been worth while. The whole sandwich was not worthwhile. :rotfl2: And luckily with the shake I did not leave hungry in any way. I knew I would not eat the whole platter when I ordered it.

When I was picking the tomato off (remember we are in the dark) I saw something flat laying in the middle of the sandwich too. I used the flashlight and determined after touching it, it must be cheese. :rotfl2:
So obviously the sandwich was not hot enough to even melt cheese. But I think they heated up a skinless chicken breast and just layered the sandwich (in a hurry). I don't recall the sandwich being cold. (Not noticeably hot nor cold. :confused3
Very odd and unappetizing.

I should just have ordered a shake and soup or an appetizer.

Anyone on the DDP would probably walk away satisfied, between appetizer, main meal portion and dessert.

Luv2Roam,
I have to ask you a question. You clearly did not like your meal and left feeling cheated. You would not return. Why then do you say that it is okay for those on the DDP? Will it taste differently? I don't get it. Either it is good or it is bad. Either you would return or you wouldn't. Why does how you are paying for your meal matter? That sounded like a nasty comment to me. JMHO.

I think paying money at time of the meal, I am much more apt to consider value, taste, service, etc against what I paid.
If we had been on the dining plan, as a tourist, I would have walked away thinking fun/different atmosphere, beverage, appetizer, main meal, and dessert (far more than could ever be eaten by one person). I would have walked away full (probably too full). Been convenient to the rides and attractions, in AC and sitting down :rotfl2: and felt like I had a nice time.
I don't recall ever having bad service at Sci-Fi, as someone else mentioned.
Like last night, there would have been no way I could have eaten the entire meal, along with drinking a milk shake. ugh
So between location, atmosphere and eating far more than needed, I would have been okay with the DDP. And someone on the DDP most likely is not going to order the BBQ (using the term loosely here) chicken sandwich.
I saw their hot fudge sandaes last night. That alone is darn near a meal!

Consider last night -- WITH the DDE -- we paid $33 with tip.

But also on the DDP -- I most likely would have booked ahead and not eaten there anyway.

Thanks for the review. I feel you just don't go to Sci Fi for the food. The atmosphere/theming is awesome, but the food is just pretty average/bad. Definitely agree the shakes are awesome, though! :thumbsup2

We like Sci Fi but we only order burgers there, especially after all the comments I've seen over the years about it. Even though the burgers are not on the dinner menu, you can still ask for them & they will give it to you.

We'll be going there for lunch one day. What's so special about being seated in a front car? Is there anything we should request? (we don't mind waiting)

Being that there are just the two of us, we ALWAYS were seated in the back seat. (Until last night.)
There is hardly any table space. And the person in front of us has always had long hair dangling over the seat, and our plates/food :crazy: , or antsy kids wanting to play, stand up, pick their nose, etc, directly in front of us. Not appetizing even from friends/loved ones. Let alone strangers. :confused3

Last night was MUCH BETTER seating, as we had the dashboard space, and the table space was larger too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter