School Lunches

Actually, parents are not allowed to take care of their child's lunch needs at many private schools. Lunches from home are not allowed. The private schools have been serving the low calorie, low fat and protein, high veggie and fruit, green, sustainable, locally grown lunches for a few years. I expect that the public schools will jump on the same bandwagon and ban brown bag lunches.

I don't ever see that happening. Too many allergies out there and like mine she has diabetes, I will say what she eats for lunch, not a school board. Low calorie and low fat isn't the answer, good fat is along with other healthy choices.

Actually, parents are not allowed to take care of their child's lunch needs at many private schools. Lunches from home are not allowed. The private schools have been serving the low calorie, low fat and protein, high veggie and fruit, green, sustainable, locally grown lunches for a few years. I expect that the public schools will jump on the same bandwagon and ban brown bag lunches.

Lets hope not. I'm all for offering healthy foods, I am not all for forcing them on the students.

NOt my post, but maybe they should learn to cook. lol. I know my DD has a good friend that is very picky. She comes over and I am cooking and she turns up her nose, then I make her try it and she loves it. There is an art to cooking, schools just don't have the time, and there are moms who don't require their kids to eat healthy. I hate when kids come over and they say they don't eat things and the list is a mile long. They look at my kids like they have 3 heads, we have adventurous eaters. But you know just by reading here on the dis, how many people only let their kids eat chicken nuggets and fries, and I am not talking about hose kids with certain issues, as in allergies or texture issues.

I do think most of it comes from home (back to the "crap" thing that the poster was speaking to..yes I really do think it is accurate that a lot of homes do serve "crap" food). They are going to expect what they are used to..they were enabled to "only" eat chicken nuggets and hot dogs and thus when the school serves them something that isn't the typical kid fare they turn up their nose over it. Even our Ped was shocked at my kids responses to their favorite foods...she said in all honestly she rarely hears much beyond "hot dogs", chicken nuggets, pizza..etc and while it isn't unreasonable at all for a child to name that as a favorite food what happens in many a home is that is also all they know. Their parents will say "well he/she is very picky and will only eat pizza/nuggets/hot dogs" and thus that is all the kid is given. Then they get to school where they are given cucumber slices or fresh carrots and of course toss it because it's utterly foreign to them. However over time they likely will try those slices, eat those carrots, try the new fruit and venture out of their bubble. But it requires time..and lots of exposure.

It goes back to my question to that poster..what is the magical solution if serving healthy food is wrong and resulting in "too much" trash? If they aren't advocating for "crap" then what is the solution?

NOt my post, but maybe they should learn to cook. lol. I know my DD has a good friend that is very picky. She comes over and I am cooking and she turns up her nose, then I make her try it and she loves it. There is an art to cooking, schools just don't have the time, and there are moms who don't require their kids to eat healthy. I hate when kids come over and they say they don't eat things and the list is a mile long. They look at my kids like they have 3 heads, we have adventurous eaters. But you know just by reading here on the dis, how many people only let their kids eat chicken nuggets and fries, and I am not talking about hose kids with certain issues, as in allergies or texture issues.

:thumbsup2 I like to think that I've improved the eating habits of a couple of the kids who have spent a lot of time at my house over the years, and my secret is getting them to either cook or help in the garden. Kids are so much more willing to try things that they helped to cook, harvest, or grow.

I have you beat, how about a milkshake and krispy kreme doughnuts. YUM. And to think, I was thin.

My high school actually burned down right before my freshman year. Since the cafeteria area was where the fire started, that was certainly not an option for our lunch. They actually ended up setting up a circus tent donated by Barnum and Bailey's Circus and sold Dominoes Pizza and stadium-style nachos (you know, the chips with that sauce they have the audacity to call "cheese"). They did have one of the local jr. high's making some cafeteria food for us and driving it to our campus, but it was nowhere near enough for everyone. Most of us had pizza or nachos. Or we just left campus and ate at McDonalds, Whataburger, Sonic, or Taco Bell.:rotfl:

Well by all means they should just continue with crap because they don't have enough hours in the day to do yet another thing the parents should be doing. Food logs are excessive IMO and I know my kids school does nutrition education starting in 1st grade. Do they spend hours every day on it? Of course not..nobody did that when I was in school either but they do spend some time each year on things like the food pyramid (well now "the plate"), food choices, portion sizes..etc.

Really the job belongs to the parents and it's ridiculous to fault the school for not doing yet another parental job on top of everything else that falls to them. Offering them healthy food choices is a more positive step than saying "oh well" and continuing the way things are.

Has anyone taken a look at the standards? They are not torturing these kids..they are just doing things like increase veggies from a 1/2 cup per meal to 1 cup. They are doing things like capping calorie content and removing trans fat..not giving them twigs and rocks to eat.

I think we are in agreement. I agree it’s the parents job to teach them what to eat.

I'm glad the meals are overall healthier.

My complaint is my child can't get an 8 oz. chocolate milk because she doesn't buy the lunch, but if she buys the lunch she can.

My oldest daughter can't eat the school lunch because she can't eat gluten.

The meal is calculated and because the school can't control the lunch I pack, she can't have chocolate milk. She might be over her ideal sugar number for that particular meal if they did.

I know I can just send one in and I will, but I still think that is a bit silly.

At my kids school the milk is currently priced .50 cents. I can't buy milk for that price that I know of at the grocery store. The horizon milk that is shelf stable is $1.00 a box. I bought 10 yesterday.

I think this whole thing is a knee jerk response to the obesity problem and even though it’s not a bad thing to change it (I'm for healthier meals) I don't think it’s going to fix anything in the long run without proper education.

But I wouldn't want my kids math time taken away to learn how to read nutritional labels so it’s a catch 22 and they just made my grocery bill a bit more.

That is why its a petty complaint from me. It really hasn't changed my life in anyway except that next year I will need to purchase chocolate milk for my kids to take to school.

I do think most of it comes from home (back to the "crap" thing that the poster was speaking to..yes I really do think it is accurate that a lot of homes do serve "crap" food). They are going to expect what they are used to..they were enabled to "only" eat chicken nuggets and hot dogs and thus when the school serves them something that isn't the typical kid fare they turn up their nose over it. Even our Ped was shocked at my kids responses to their favorite foods...she said in all honestly she rarely hears much beyond "hot dogs", chicken nuggets, pizza..etc and while it isn't unreasonable at all for a child to name that as a favorite food what happens in many a home is that is also all they know. Their parents will say "well he/she is very picky and will only eat pizza/nuggets/hot dogs" and thus that is all the kid is given. Then they get to school where they are given cucumber slices or fresh carrots and of course toss it because it's utterly foreign to them. However over time they likely will try those slices, eat those carrots, try the new fruit and venture out of their bubble. But it requires time..and lots of exposure.

It goes back to my question to that poster..what is the magical solution if serving healthy food is wrong and resulting in "too much" trash? If they aren't advocating for "crap" then what is the solution?

Well I will admit that my DD would throw away the carrots and cucumbers, she has tried and tried but those are 2 things she doesn't like. But she does like cooked carrots pretty well and eats other veggies , loves black eyed peas and black beans ,limas and pintos and salad. She also loves eggplant parm, go figure, she tried mine one night and I had to give the rest up to her. Oh and doesn't care for sweet stuff. strange child.

I think we are in agreement. I agree it’s the parents job to teach them what to eat.

My complaint is my child can't get an 8 oz. chocolate milk because she doesn't buy the lunch, but if she buys the lunch she can.

The meal is calculated and because the school can't control the lunch I pack, she can't have chocolate milk. She might be over her ideal sugar number for that particular meal if they did.

I know I can just send one in and I will, but I still think that is a bit silly.

At my kids school the milk is currently priced .50 cents. I can't buy milk for that price that I know of at the grocery store. The horizon milk that is shelf stable is $1.00 a box. I bought 10 yesterday.

I think this whole thing is a knee jerk response to the obesity problem and even though it’s not a bad thing to change it (I'm for healthier meals) I don't think it’s going to fix anything in the long run without proper education.

But I wouldn't want my kids math time taken away to learn how to read nutritional labels so it’s a catch 22 and they just made my grocery bill a bit more.

That is why its a petty complaint from me. It really hasn't changed my life in anyway except that next year I will need to purchase chocolate milk for my kids to take to school.

Out of curiosity..have you spoken to the cafeteria manager about the milk and the gluten issue? I know our district and my Moms the cafeteria managers work with parents who have children with dietary needs and will make exceptions for them whenever and wherever possible..like if that means allowing the milk. I am guessing you have based on your comment but just thought I would ask. I know they have always been really open in working with parents to do what they can for the kids.

Yeah the shelf stable milk can be costly..is it an option to buy it and send it in a chilled thermos for her instead (not trying to be pushy..just not sure if you have those options). The shelf stable milk in larger sizes might be cheaper and she can take an individual serving each day in a thermos instead.

My son is 17 - so High School. His school does not have to follow state guidelines. Food is cooked by outside chefs in the school made to order, think CS at Pop Century

For lunch he eats a salad 300 calories, 200 calories fresh fruit, 225 chocolate milk, and something like a chicken burger around 150 calories (no roll, just maybe a tomato slice on it).

Another day he will have a piece of pizza, the small side salad and milk. It probably has the same amount of calories as above. Lunch is his largest meal of the day.

With snacks and such he eats around 2100 calories a day plus more if he has an Arnold Palmer. Lunch is his biggest meal of the day, always has been.

I know that public schools feed way more students than his school does and it probably isn't as easy to do but since the students are allowed to choose from many stations, not a lot of food gets thrown out. They also don't have that feeling of "I have to take such and such even though I don't like it".

They also have vending machines for after school students that do sports. The machines are not opened until after school and have various foods to choose from and also different drinks.

Well I will admit that my DD would throw away the carrots and cucumbers, she has tried and tried but those are 2 things she doesn't like. But she does like cooked carrots pretty well and eats other veggies , loves black eyed peas and black beans ,limas and pintos and salad. She also loves eggplant parm, go figure, she tried mine one night and I had to give the rest up to her. Oh and doesn't care for sweet stuff. strange child.

Yeah my oldest wouldn't be overjoyed with cucumbers (I mentioned that one because as I was googling I noticed it in a picture regarding school lunches) or carrots either..those are about the only 2 veggies he will not eat..my youngest on the other hand would go wild for both options.

I do like how our school does it in regards to a fruit and veggie bar...they are free to take as much as they want and there is always a big variety (the idea is that it contains a fairly decent "rainbow" of fruits/veggies). That way the one that prefers broccoli over carrots can get the fresh veggie they like and will eat vs getting stuck with one they don't care for and that being their only option.

Oh, wow. There is, of course, always a happy medium.

I disagree that a "lot" of homes serve "crap". Do a lot of homes serve easy, quick cooking things? Sure. Do a lot of homes depend on take out some nights? Sure. But they can do those things and still offer their family fresh salads, fresh fruit and other healthful options.

We have pizza every other week or so. Do I get whole wheat crust? No. We tried, do not like it, no need to try it again. But, the pizza is served with a large salad and fruit for dessert. See? IMHO, happy medium.

School lunch needs to be healthy. It also needs to be filling. Some kids that get free lunch, are not able to bring lunch or extra snacks. They shouldn't have to be hungry. If the meal being served is tacos and black beans, what not let them get a couple extra tacos? Not everyone likes black beans. That doesn't mean they eat jelly beans at home, maybe they just really do not like the things. (don't we all have likes and dislikes).

I also think all cafeterias should have a salad bar. Let the kids decide on their own mixed salad and offer lots of fresh choices. Fresh fruit can be on the salad bar too.

I guess everyone is different... My daughter gets out of high school at 1:55, we are at home by 2:05 and she eats a good size lunch then (lunch at school: 10:45). At our house, dinner isn't usually until at least 7:30PM, DD doesn't eat until around 9/9:30 on the days she has dance class (twice a week)

That schedule is rough. 10:45 am is quite early fur lunch. I remember when I did WW (yes, I did have a weight problem which is why I don't want my children to) we were taught is actually good to have 4 small well rounded meals a day.

But you are taking it as I say let them eat whatever they want. What I am saying is the teen boys need more food period. My DS would starve on 1 piece of baked chicken, Baked potato, those don't exist around here except as a treat, a food that really is wasted white carbs, Broccoli, loves it and will eat a ton, but not a filling food at all, milk, we are all haters of the white stuff except for cereal. When we cook out he will eat at least 2 sometimes 3 burgers, salad. Won't touch a sandwich unless it has lettuce and tomato on it. Eats Greek yogurt, fruit. But he eats all the time. A pizza, is a whole pizza. Sloppy Joes the other night, he ate 4 of them. He is fueling his body, he is very active , insane shape. Tae kwon Do, PT for ROTC. and personal trainer. Not an once of fat on that boy. But a box of cereal is about 3 servings for him, and no I am not kidding. And you can't pinch fat.

ETA, He will actually fuss at me when on a rare occasion, I serve dinner without a green veggie. The boy loves food. Just a ton of it. Also snack I agree with you, the only difference is mine is not an "or", he would have the fiber bar and the fruit with peanut butter, and then maybe a yogurt, while asking what is for dinner. lol

I'm sorry, if you thought that way, I wasn't saying that all. I do feel bad for your food bill though. :scared1:

Huh? My DD has always gone to a private school and they can ONLY bring their lunch. They cannot buy it there as they don't have it there. They can buy milk and that's it. Once a month they have a "special" lunch from an area restaurant. As much as I am all for eating healthy and well rounded meals, I would be in that school so fast it would make their head spin.

:thumbsup2 I like to think that I've improved the eating habits of a couple of the kids who have spent a lot of time at my house over the years, and my secret is getting them to either cook or help in the garden. Kids are so much more willing to try things that they helped to cook, harvest, or grow.

Isn't that amazing. I have had kids come over my house for dinner and when I tell their parents what they ate they can't believe it. I have had the reverse happy as well.

I agree the inablility to get milk is ridiculous. I would write to the superintendent's office, explain your DD's dietary restriction and your desire to let her buy milk. I'm sure you are not the only parent with this issue.

At my DD's school milk is 50 cents as well. I can actually buy it a bit cheaper at BJ's but she enjoys waiting in the milk line so I let her. ;)

That schedule is rough. 10:45 am is quite early fur lunch. I remember when I did WW (yes, I did have a weight problem which is why I don't want my children to) we were taught is actually good to have 4 small well rounded meals a day.

I'm sorry, if you thought that way, I wasn't saying that all. I do feel bad for your food bill though. :scared1:

Huh? My DD has always gone to a private school and they can ONLY bring their lunch. They cannot buy it there as they don't have it there. They can buy milk and that's it. Once a month they have a "special" lunch from an area restaurant. As much as I am all for eating healthy and well rounded meals, I would be in that school so fast it would make their head spin.

Isn't that amazing. I have had kids come over my house for dinner and when I tell their parents what they ate they can't believe it. I have had the reverse happy as well.

I agree the inablility to get milk is ridiculous. I would write to the superintendent's office, explain your DD's dietary restriction and your desire to let her buy milk. I'm sure you are not the only parent with this issue.

At my DD's school milk is 50 cents as well. I can actually buy it a bit cheaper at BJ's but she enjoys waiting in the milk line so I let her. ;)

NO worries on my end, and I appreciate your sympathy on my food bill. I cringe every time I go to the store. He just walked in, the feeding frenzy will begin very soon. lol

Out of curiosity..have you spoken to the cafeteria manager about the milk and the gluten issue? I know our district and my Moms the cafeteria managers work with parents who have children with dietary needs and will make exceptions for them whenever and wherever possible..like if that means allowing the milk. I am guessing you have based on your comment but just thought I would ask. I know they have always been really open in working with parents to do what they can for the kids.

Yeah the shelf stable milk can be costly..is it an option to buy it and send it in a chilled thermos for her instead (not trying to be pushy..just not sure if you have those options). The shelf stable milk in larger sizes might be cheaper and she can take an individual serving each day in a thermos instead.

Yes I did speak to the manager. She is very helpful and very nice and has been able to get gluten free pizza for my child but she can't change the milk issue for next year.

This year my 4th and 5th grader can purchase a chocolate milk a la carte. My 1st grader can not purchase chocolate milk at all.

Next year my 2 oldest will not be able to purchase chocolate milk unless they purchase the lunch but they can purchase skim milk a la carte. I have not made a big issue out of it since it will happen next year and honestly I am not a pushy person. I'll just take care of my own kids.

My oldest isn't very picky about most things thankfully which helped going gluten free but she really dislikes milk. The only milk she will drink is chocolate and not a lot of it. She can't finish a large chocolate milk, those 6 or 8 oz. boxes are perfect.

She is also slightly vitamin D deficient so although thats not the only way to get vitamin D and I don't even know if its the best way, its one way to get a bit more in her.

I know she will have a choice to either drink the white or nothing but it just stinks.

Yes I did speak to the manager. She is very helpful and very nice and has been able to get gluten free pizza for my child but she can't change the milk issue for next year.

This year my 4th and 5th grader can purchase a chocolate milk a la carte. My 1st grader can not purchase chocolate milk at all.

Next year my 2 oldest will not be able to purchase chocolate milk unless they purchase the lunch but they can purchase skim milk a la carte. I have not made a big issue out of it since it will happen next year and honestly I am not a pushy person. I'll just take care of my own kids.

My oldest isn't very picky about most things thankfully which helped going gluten free but she really dislikes milk. The only milk she will drink is chocolate and not a lot of it. She can't finish a large chocolate milk, those 6 or 8 oz. boxes are perfect.

She is also slightly vitamin D deficient so although thats not the only way to get vitamin D and I don't even know if its the best way, its one way to get a bit more in her.

I know she will have a choice to either drink the white or nothing but it just stinks.

Bummer that is how they are working that.

Out of curiosity..will she eat mushrooms? They are a great source of Vit D (not that it addresses the milk issue but they might help the deficiency). I believe sweet potatoes and eggs (yolk) contain some (not super high) Vit D as well.

This whole milk thing makes no sense. I have no idea why the school would do that. Seems like no rhyme or reason. Why would it matter if you got lunch or not; it shouldn't.

Vitamin D is a tough one but the following are foods that have it...not sure with gluten which she can actually have: eggs (it's in the yolk), a lot of yogurts are fortified with Vitamin D as are margines such as Country Crock, Orange Juice, swordfish, salmon, tuna and you can also put 1 T of cod liver oil in some of her food.

Maybe it's just where I grew up but WHEN did schools start serving lunch? I grew up in the 80's and there wasn't "school lunch" until High School. K-8 you had to brown bag it. And we didn't even have a cafeteria, you ate at your desk.

The only thing you could get from the school was milk. Your mom sent you in with money every quarter and you'd get milk tickets. Every day you'd hand in a ticket and get your milk. But it was optional, you could just bring milk from home in a Thermos, or no milk at all if that's what you wanted.

The school I'll be sending LO to (if we don't move and if we don't do private) has school lunches. Last I looked on their website, I think I'll be sending her in with a brown bag like I had growing up. Even homemade PB&J has to be healthier than some of the stuff I saw on their menu. For sure it would be better tasting!

Maybe it's just where I grew up but WHEN did schools start serving lunch? I grew up in the 80's and there wasn't "school lunch" until High School. K-8 you had to brown bag it. And we didn't even have a cafeteria, you ate at your desk.

The only thing you could get from the school was milk. Your mom sent you in with money every quarter and you'd get milk tickets. Every day you'd hand in a ticket and get your milk. But it was optional, you could just bring milk from home in a Thermos, or no milk at all if that's what you wanted.

The school I'll be sending LO to (if we don't move and if we don't do private) has school lunches. Last I looked on their website, I think I'll be sending her in with a brown bag like I had growing up. Even homemade PB&J has to be healthier than some of the stuff I saw on their menu. For sure it would be better tasting!

I graduated in 1981 and our schools always served lunch, I didn't know there were schools that didn't.:confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter