School book fair...

Well, I wish our school had a bookfair. I loved them growing up and I think my kids would like it too. I like the idea of donating used books prior to the fair so that everyone can get something. I understand how that could be so hard for a younger child to not get anything while all thier friends were. It would be even harder if your family didn't have the money to be able to buy a book. It would put the parent in an extremly hard place.

My son started Kindergarten this year and just got his first scholastic book order. My daughter also got one, she's in preschool at another school. I spent about $15.00 on each of them. I asked my son if everyone in his class got a book or if there were some kids that didn't order. He said everyone got books and there wasn't anyone who didn't get anything. I guess I'll have to keep ordering them, which is fine. My daughter on the other hand had hardley anyone in her class order.

I love reading and I am glad that my kids have that passion too.

Wow! I never knew book fairs were so hated!

I ran the Scholastic Book Fair in our grammar school for 4 years. We had a few rules in place to help children and parents.

If a child was in Kindergarten or 1st grade, they were only allowed to pick out one or two books maximum. It's difficult for young children to understand that what they see isn't what they necessarily get. So they only picked out 1 or 2. If their parents wanted them to buy more, the parent usually came in or provided mad money for the child to spend.

We never unpacked the junk except for the posters and maybe a box of pens. It's junk, plain and simple. We were there for book sales, not trinkets.

All books were delivered to the classroom in plastic (usually supermarket) bags. These bags were sealed with the receipt on the outside. No one received their books til the very end of the school day. The teachers put the books into the backpacks of the younger students.

I never, ever noticed who bought what. Do you really think I had time to notice? I know the teachers didn't either. We were all trying to make the visit short and sweet.

If a child was short money, we gave them money. Very often it came out of our own pockets. We never wanted to see a sad face.

We did try a used book sale at another time of the year. It was a bomb. Parents used the booksale as an opportunity to dump every supermarket promotional series on us that they could. I had more Disney books than you could shake a stick at. Also, believe it or not, putting books on tables instead of attractively enhanced bookcases didn't help sell many books. I wish I could say our experience was different, but it wasn't. We offered major discounts (books were 50 cents for the most part) and we still couldn't sell them. Ah, well.

Anyhow, if you don't care for the way the booksale is run, you may want to offer some suggestions. I think some volunteers in their excitment and enthusiasm may not be thinking about parents' budgets, childrens' feelings etc. etc.

As far as monthly Scholastic deliveries, they were conducted as discreetly as possible. Not all children can afford an array of new books on a regular basis. We kept that in mind when deliveries were made.

It's a shame that some of you have such a negative POV about your schools and your volunteers. I can only hope it's perception and not reality. We're all in this together and raising children to become productive, happy human beings should be the goal. Sometimes I think that thought gets lost in the shuffle of life......

My DW is busy right now decorating for our book fair. I came into the office late on two days this week so that I could read to my kids class some books being offered at our book fair. We have four authors coming in to read their books to kids at the school and explain the process of dreaming up a children's story. The library raises money and the kids see reading (and writing) as something exciting. I'm not sure where the down side that is being depicted here is??

gina2000 said:
Wow! I never knew book fairs were so hated!

I
We did try a used book sale at another time of the year. It was a bomb. Parents used the booksale as an opportunity to dump every supermarket promotional series on us that they could. I had more Disney books than you could shake a stick at. Also, believe it or not, putting books on tables instead of attractively enhanced bookcases didn't help sell many books. I wish I could say our experience was different, but it wasn't. We offered major discounts (books were 50 cents for the most part) and we still couldn't sell them. Ah, well.
The same thing happened at my school when we tried a book exchange. We ended up with tons of board books and supermarket series books (those numbered books you buy for a discount when you go grocery shopping) that were either too toddler-ish for the kids, or nobody wanted them. We even got back a bunch of discarded textbooks that (months and years earlier) were put out in the hallway on carts during parent/teacher conference week for kids to take and keep. We ended up donating them to a homeless shelter.

I guess there's something to say about getting a brand new book. It does increase the motivation to read.

Wow, thanks for everyone's point of view. I have nothing against the book fair and as our only child is in K, this was our first time with this. DS knows that he can not get everything that he sees and wants (he's actually in the habbit of saying, "maybe I can get that for my B-day" or "maybe santa will bring me one"....and we just say, yes, maybe you will get one for B-day or Xmas) so most of the "junk" is usually forgotten about till those special days roll around, yet we do not need to say no every time we are at a store and DS shows interest in something (every other word out of me would be NO I did that).

I just didn't like how they did it with 5 year olds, helping them fill out big wish lists and getting their hopes up (and half the stuff on the list was toys and other junk). I had already had it in my mind that we would go on family night and let DS get $10 worth of books. I knew they would be visiting the fair while at school but did not know they would be making up big lists and its hard to explain to most 5 year olds about prices and adding them up when you are not even there with them.

I have no problem with the *idea* of book fairs - I recently had my first go at a Scholastic fair - I just wish that the books were better. Our fair had all kind of crappy, licensed-character books with little reading or literature value, novelty "toy" books (a mini-golf book with a teeny miniature golf course inside? A pirate-skull-puzzle thingie? gah.), and also the aforementioned girlie-girl writing papers, pencils, software and the like.

We managed to find a few things that I thought were valuable enough to actually purchase but I felt the options were few and far between. I love Disney and Thomas and the like as much as the next person, but let's face it, their books add little to the educational process. I'd love to see richly illustrated kids' adaptations of classics, well-made heirloom-type books or truly useful (and not dumbed down- kids need concepts presented simply, not watered down...and those aren't the same thing!) science and art volumes. To me, *those* are the books worth buying - non-disposable, worthy of reverence, and useful through the many changes in a child's life, not something to get passed on or thrown out once the craze for Strawberry Shortcake or whatever has passed.

vhoffman said:
Therefore, teachers try to draw conclusions that don't really connect. That doesn't stop them from trying. Face it--how would you view a child who's struggling in school with reading who's parents seemingly never purchase books?
I disagree. After having the child in class for a while, the teacher may draw a conclusion about the child's educational opportunities at home, but those conclusions won't be based upon one single thing -- especially something as superficial as a book fair. Teachers are smart enough to know that books are available from many, many sources.

The teacher will, however, notice whether the child attends school regularly, whether the child's homework is done each day, whether paperwork sent home is returned quickly, whether the parents attend the Open House, etc. THOSE things DO affect the teachers opinion of whether the parents are "involved enough" in the child's education.

IDoDis said:
I am a special education teacher and do not draw the conclusions you refer to. While it may be true that some of my students don't have books at home, an educated person knows that that does not cause a learning disability.
Exactly. A kid who doesn't read may very well be behind grade level, but not reading won't cause a learning disability. Any teacher with a little bit of experience will be able to tell the difference.

At our school, the kids stroll through the book fair, but don't shop and don't make wish lists.

The fair is open before school and right after and we have a family activity during the week. Kids cannont shop during school. We actually talked about it -- but decided none of us really want to work that much.

mjbaby --think about volunteering to help chair the book fair. Our PTA asks for certain books (to add to the junk that always comes).

personally, I love the bookfair. a) it's books and b) it raises money for the school library (at our school). I have helped set it up, have volunteered at it and yes, have helped the little kids make wish lists. Our librarian is fantastic though and hands them a slip of paper that only has room for 3 things, explains that it is a wish list and explains that they may not get what they want and that no one has to fill out a list or even come. she also doesn't put out the non book items until the night of the fair so they don't see it ahead of time. As well, each case is labeled before it's even unpacked with the reading levels and let me tell ya, those kindergarten kids don't get to leave the "blue" case for example. We have never had a problem with parents complaining about wish lists,etc. (but then again, everyone really loves our school librarian so...) sorry you had a bad experience with it.

theblackbird said:
let me tell ya, those kindergarten kids don't get to leave the "blue" case for example.

What's the "blue" case? Is this the special kindergarten area? If so, I did everything I could to keep my son OUT of that space - that's where the books had the least value, in my opinion. Our librarian and volunteers did try to keep most kids in there but I'm so glad I was there to show my kid some of the better books. We bought perhaps half a dozen books and not a single one was from the "kindergarten space".

KirstenB said:
Our book fair has the wish lists, etc. Our older dd always comes home with a few things written down. I just view it like everything else: she understands that she doesn't get everything she wants. We might buy 1 or 2 things on the list, we might buy nothing. Yes, she usually has something like a light up pen on the list, or something else completely unrelated to reading.

I've honestly never felt any pressure from our media teacher to purchase anything. She loves reading, obviously, and loves kids, but never pressures anyone.

Dd is an "easy" kid. She's grateful if she gets something, she understands if she doesn't. Guess we're lucky.

My sentiments exactly. My son 5 just had his and was happy to get 1 book but was even more excited when I went with him and purchased him another book and he picked one out for his little sister. And yes some of the books are character books...ie spongebob, little pony, and not educational based or Caldecott awarded books but if he's willing to read it or be read it then I'm happy. Joy of reading isn't about what is educational but what is enjoyable.

As far as the monthly Scholastic book orders that come home, I have both kids 4 & 5 go through and circle the ones they want and then mom goes through and picks 1 or 2 of them and sometimes others, sometimes none. I also almost always buy the .95 ones to add to my niece and nephews gifts come the holidays or just a little something when they visit.

vhoffman said:
Just letting you know the reality of the book fair and Scholastic. Many items come home in my kids backpacks, everything from summer camp to karate lessons. I always figured they werre optional and no one really tracked who purchased what nor made value judgments on then for their purchases. Not so with the book purchases. That's just the way it is. I learned the hard way when I saw my ds (along with others) standing around the Scholastic order box crying when there was nothing in it for them, because I declined to order anything. Also, the remarks at the parent-teacher conference the day after the book fair to the effect that "children who are exposed to reading at home do better in school" while discussing my reading disabled son certainly had a connection.

Perception is 90% of any interraction you will ever engage in. The school will seldom come into your home and count your books. It is necessary to make a display of purchasing books for the school to look favorably on you. That's simply reality, not a misplaced opinion of mine. A reality it unfortunately took me 4+ years to catch onto. At least don't let your child feel left out by being the only one without an order from the scholastic box. BTW, why should I homeschool my children because I realize the book buy game at school for what it is and play along with it? What does one have to do with the other? :confused3

My whole point of posting here is not to :stir: . Its to simply give other parents the benefit of my experiences. Don't mistake the book purchases with the ton of other stuff they send home to buy. Value judgments are passed onto you kids depending on your book purchases, just like value judgments are made about you and your family depending on how neat and clean they're dressed, the quality of their homework, how neat and clean the parents appear, etc. Or did you think teachers never make value judgments about their students? :sad2:

:rolleyes: I am running the book sales and fair this year at my school. It is the first year that we have ever done it and it's been a lot of work on my part. If a parent chooses not to buy anything that is fine with me. The whole point of doing this was to give families the opportunity to purchase books. I thought it was a great thing. I had no idea parents hated it so much. I also had no idea that we teachers think parents that don't buy are bad parents.

I always loved the book fair as a child and when my dd started having them we both enjoyed them. I just thought having one would be a good thing. As a teacher, all I want from a parent is involvement not their money. If that means they have the time to volunteer in my classroom great. If they can only stop by once in a while that's fine. If they call and speak to me over the phone, fine. If they buy 100 books great. If they buy nothing, fabulous. Just be involved in some way. I don't care if your kid comes to class in mismatched clothes or the parents come to conference dirty from working all day. I'm just thrilled to see an involved parent. I really don't care. I have volunteered my time to the sales and the fair because I want the students at my school to have an opportunity to buy books. I know that many parents buy books all the time. Why not buy a couple from the school too? It's not forced, it's optional.

If you feel obligated then that's a personal issue.

Blondy876 said:
:rolleThe whole point of doing this was to give families the opportunity to purchase books.

Well, I really thought we have plenty of opportunity to purchase books via Barnes & Noble, Borders, WalMart, Amazon, etc.! :confused3

Actually, we're talking about two different things here. The title of this thread is School Book Fair....but I also mentioned my frustration with the Scholastic orders. I never ordered from them in the past because I simply wasn't interested, we purchase our books elsewhere. Then one day I happened to be in my son's classroom when the book order came. I was appalled at how it was handled! The box was set in the middle of the room, opened, and the books handed out to those who had orders. My son and several other children without orders simply stood around, not knowing what to do while the other children received their new books. This is from the same teacher who insists you can't bring a treat unless you bring it for everyone! I saw many barely concealed tears that day. I simply had no idea how the whole Scholastic thing was handled until then. I asked both my kids how they felt about it. My daughter said she always hoped there was something in the box for her even though she hadn't placed an order. I just simply felt sick about it! My daughter said the other girls would even taunt her for not getting a book, while they compared their orders.

And for all those of you who think the teacher's aren't tracking who buys and who doesn't, well, shortly after a scholastic order and back-to-back book fair (we didn't make purchases at either one), there was a parent-teacher conference. My son has reading problems. His teacher was actually condescending and told me over and over that children who come from homes with a "love of reading" do better than those who don't. It took me awhile to realize the connection she was making, but it was there!

I've always known that the teacher's perception of the student is very important, but it took me until this year to realize that purchase of books affects the teacher's perception every bit as much as clean clothes, neat homework done on time, etc. Its just reality, parents need to budget for those sales whether they like the books or not. Its not about the books, its about packaging your child!

We go to the school book fair together on family night and let each of my daughters pick out one book. We also purchase a book from my daughter's class wish list . My daughter has an opportunity to again this week and we will give her enough money to purcahse one book. On family night they sold toys, posters and computer games. When the kids go with their classes there will only be books. The principal only wanted the students to be able to buy books at the fair.

I have been on all sides of this, a mom, a teacher (who gets free books from the PTA based on sales), and as a book fair chair. Our school doesn't put out the junk or toys until the evening parent night. That way when the kids bring home their wish lists, it's only books. It still might be lots of books, but they don't see the toys, posters, etc until they come at night with their family.

My wife has been the PTA president for the past 5 years and I can say that is a tremendous amount of work. They have 2 elementary schools to run and each one has 2 bookfairs. One in the fall and a 1/2 price one in the spring. They have also had a family night at the local Barnes & Noble and receive a portion of the sales for the evening. Everyone loves this night out and you can buy anything from the store including videos and music! They use most of the profits form the fall fairs to give teachers books for their classrooms of their wishlists. They also give new teachers more books for their classroom libraries. The children come once to browse and make a wishlist and then once more during the week to buy if they have money. All of the volunteers explain to the children that parents can only buy a certain number of books and if they don't get them at the bookfair maybe then can get them at a store. It is never a competition about how many books you can buy. Yes, there are children who don't have money to buy books, but there are also children who can only buy books at the family night with their parents. We are fortunate and both of our children like to read. Our son would rather read than do ANYTHING else including his chores. He frequently reads a book a day. It took him just under one evening to read the newest Lemony Snicket book! We will buy from the class and from the bookfair if there is something we think he will like. If not then we won't. My daughter on the other hand is very picky about books so if she doesn't see something then we don't buy.
My wife makes it very clear to the parents in our school that it is a fundraiser but every family does not need to participate in every fundraiser. You would be spending on something all the time. I have never heard anyone complain about the bookfair before. It seems a shame since it is so hard for her to find volunteers to run things. If more parents got involved then they could make changes in the way things are run. It's sort of like voting. If you don't vote you can't really complain.

I think it's so ironic that this post is on the Budget Board and no one has mentioned taking that list of desired books to your free, local public library and borrowing them. Chances are the kids are just going to read them once so take advantage of the best deal out there. And, think of the library when you pull into Blockbuster or sign up for NetFlix. So many movies...all free for the borrowing.

fourfoxesinpa said:
I think it's so ironic that this post is on the Budget Board and no one has mentioned taking that list of desired books to your free, local public library and borrowing them. Chances are the kids are just going to read them once so take advantage of the best deal out there. And, think of the library when you pull into Blockbuster or sign up for NetFlix. So many movies...all free for the borrowing.

You are right, if we are all concerned about saving money we all should go to the library instead of buying books. BUT going to the library doenst help fundraise for the school and book fairs do. I would never use a book fair as my main way of loading my family up with reading material, but when it comes around we do buy a few things to help support our schools. We do hit the library, but not all the time because we enjoy having our own personal library at home. My kids tend to read their books over and over again esp. their favorites.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter