School band/orchestra trips

maxiesmom

The Mean Squinty Eye Works
How much time do you actually get to see the child, or watch the child perform when they are at WDW on a school trip?

My nephew is going with his school orchestra, and will be performing at The Disney Studios, and Down Town Disney. I want to go, but trying to get everything set is becoming a pain, and I am debating if I should go or not.

The school does not have a set itinerary yet, which means I made my my ADRs blindly. The trip is the week after Easter, so I need ADRs if I want a table service meal. They have already changed things enough that I would have to fly in a day earlier then planned, which means another $180 for another night at a Value, which just seems crazy anyway. Plus I cannot find airfare for less than $450, which is double what I usually pay.

So if you all tell me that the kids only perform about 10 minutes a day, I may tell my nephew to have a great time and that I will miss him! But I would really like to go.

I took my choir to Magic Music Days last May and we did about a 20 minute concert. They ask that you perform about 15-30 minutes. We were surprised at how many "real people" (not our chaperones) sat and watched our concert, the students really appreciated that.
Disney did a great job of organizing us and walking us from behind the scenes to our venue. They also have very strict rules about uniforms including no sunglasses (even when not performing) which made me notice after the fact that CM don't wear them at all.

My sister takes her band every other year to Disney and what you need to consider is how much time will you be able to match up with him AND at that age how much time WILL he want to match up with you! And I'm not saying he doesn't, just think of you at that age he will probably want to be running around with his friends.
When they are there the kids are on their own in a park with adults sitting in a spot that they have to check in with or contact if a problem. Often their itinerary doesn't make sense like getting to the studios at 1. I don't know about orchestras but the MK day they march a lot of time is spent lining up, waiting, and marching. THey also never got to the parks early in the AM after having brkfst at the hotel.

Personally I don't think you will get to spend that much time with him. If you are flexible (sometimes their schedule changes even after they are there) and think that maybe a couple hours would be worth it then go but make sure he is going to be willing to give up his park time with his friends to do it.
We met up with her 1 year at BB and spent the time they were there. THey left at 2 to go home. However for her visiting with us and going on things with her family was great as an adult-would a teen feel the same way ? or would they want to maybe have lunch with you and play with their friends?
I don't mean to sound negative, just realistic.

When dd13's choir performed at Hershey (off site), I saw her while she was on stage. I didn't even see her at the park - if I did, she would probably grant me a wave. They were in groups of 4, and couldn't separate.

My DS14 will be at Disney with his band Memorial Weekend. We don't have much info yet either. I'm guessing they'll be playing maybe 30 minutes tops. They are also leaving town at a wierd time (11pm at night) so I've put together a plan for the family. DD10 and I will drive on down that day, DH will get DS to the bus that night and then fly out the next morning, taking ME to the resort.
My only thing is that I need DH to pick up his KTWW card from the front desk if he can so DD and I go to a park that morning. I'm hoping that can be done.

I made my ADR's blind too. I figure I can change them if I need to later.

I'm also not planning on seeing DS14 except when he plays. I'm sure he'll be busy in the parks with his friends. I know that they have to stay with the group they are assigned, not leave a park and meet with a chaperone at a designated time/place.
Unless he runs out of money, then I'm sure I'll hear from him.

I can hear it now once I answer my phone - "Hey mom? Can you meet me in DHS? I need some cash." :rotfl:

Unless he runs out of money, then I'm sure I'll hear from him.

I can hear it now once I answer my phone - "Hey mom? Can you meet me in DHS? I need some cash." :rotfl:

That was my DS last year! I saw him when they marched down main street and then not until he needed money the next day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter