scary/dark attractions?

Teacher510

DIS Veteran
:confused: My 8-year-old niece is coming to WDW with us in August and she's a little nervous about rides with darkness or loud noises. Her kid's guidebook mentions this for the following but since my daughter and I haven't been there since 1995 we could use a refresher from a kid's point of view: Haunted Mansion,Great Movie Ride, Drew Carey Sounds Dangerous, Barnstormer, Snow White, Pirates of the Caribbean, Voyage of the Little Mermaid,Festival of the Lion King.
Thanks for any info/advice!

Great Movie Ride has a part where the ALIEN comes out from above (I don't even like that part),

Voyage of the Little Mermaid is dark most of the way thru especially with Ursella's part but it is a neat show with cool effects (part of the reason it has to be dark), my 2 yr old DD was ok with it although she was on my lap and very laid back because it was naptime.

Drew Cary is closed.

Haunted Mansion is dark most of the ride but is a really neat attraction also. She might be ok with it because it's "fun".

Pirates may be loud in some parts but only a few dark scenes, may not be so bad because you keep moving.

There's a minute or two in Spaceship Earth, on the initial ascent, where it's pitch black. My (then) 3 yo was a little nervous during this, but was fine afterward.

Goofy's Barnstormer is a roller coaster, not really dark, no louder than any other roller coaster. Plus, you can see it before you ride.

We just got back from a wonder trip at Disney. Our son who is 5 is afraid of the dark. (our 2 yr. old is fine with it). We did the Voyage of the Little Mermaid and it was a bit dark. I had a small pen light which I let him hold. It puts out just a little light, enough to comfort him but not to bother anyone else. We also did Pirates of the Caribbean because my son loves pirates. He was afraid during parts of it. I stayed away from Snow Whites Scary Adventures because I knew my kids would be scared of the witch. The pen light was an idea I got off these boards and it was great.

MinnieAnne
1st trip with kids 5/2001

MinnieAnne, that's a great idea with the penlight. My 2 1/2 yr old dd used hers when we were walking thru the back entrance from EPCOT to the BC/YC and then to our hotel at nite. (we splurged and got the Minnie with the plastic colored wire things), she loved that.

I put it away until our next trip. It didn't occur to me to let her hold it on the rides/shows that have dark parts, that's a great idea. Thanks.

mickey17a.gif

2 weeks from Friday, WDW here we come...

:pinkbounc Thanks so much for the help! The penlight is a great idea. Thanks for the updated info, too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter