Say Please in French - A June and Sept. 2018 DLP TR *Updated 4/22

Aw man I'm sorry Evie hated Pirates! But at least she calmed down enough so you could all ride!

We might not know a ton of things Evie loves to do at Disney, but we're definitely learning everything she hates!:rotfl2:

Wow! Sounds like things have been busy! I love Evie's little gymnastics picture, though! What a cutie!

Oh my goodness, what a precious big brother Landon is!! I love that his instinct is to try to help his sister and to educate her with his big brother knowledge.

:rotfl: You win some, you lose some! Maybe she'll feel differently in a few years.

It makes me really happy to watch Evie at her gymnastics class. She's so happy during it. I really hope wherever we move next has a similar program that she can continue with.

She used to hate Peter Pan's Flight and tolerates it now, so hopefully Pirates will grow on her. And the WDW version might be better, because it's shorter and not as "scary."

Oh, I feel bad for her, but can't help but laugh too!

I loved those arcades!

Walt Disney World needs those arcades!! They made moving about a million times easier. ::yes::

Walt Disney World needs those arcades!! They made moving about a million times easier. ::yes::

And during the rain last week they were of great use for people to find shelter and there are several outlets to charge your phone :) #lovethearcades

Hi Alicia, just letting you know I joined your TR and I am all caught up. It's interesting to read about DLP. I have fuzzy memories of it since it was 20 years ago I visited. Looking forward to reading more.

And during the rain last week they were of great use for people to find shelter and there are several outlets to charge your phone :) #lovethearcades

Oh, I didn't know about the outlets. Makes it even better!

Hi Alicia, just letting you know I joined your TR and I am all caught up. It's interesting to read about DLP. I have fuzzy memories of it since it was 20 years ago I visited. Looking forward to reading more.

:welcome:Thank you for joining and following along! I have felt very lucky to get the opportunity to explore and visit the Disneyland Paris parks over the last few years. It's a beautiful park with fun variations on the classic attractions, however nothing can compare to the WDW parks.

This is great! Where is this blog that keeps getting referenced?

Thanks! It's An Awfully Big Military Adventure It's where I write about my European adventures and life as a military spouse.

I'm finally caught up! I always forget to come over to the DLP boards!

What a great trip so far! My family and I only spent all of 5 hours in DLP (we hadnt planned to go at all) so there is so much I need to get back and see! Someday! I really wish we would have done BTMRR and Small World. I have no idea why we skipped BTMRR :confused3 it seems so cool!

I'm finally caught up! I always forget to come over to the DLP boards!

What a great trip so far! My family and I only spent all of 5 hours in DLP (we hadnt planned to go at all) so there is so much I need to get back and see! Someday! I really wish we would have done BTMRR and Small World. I have no idea why we skipped BTMRR :confused3 it seems so cool!

I think I would miss 90% of the threads I follow if I didn't have that watch thread tab at the top of the site! It keeps me organized. :rotfl2:

I feel like Disneyland Paris is set up be taken at a leisurely stroll. I really hope you can get back there one day and see all the little details they've put into the park. And you should definitely go on their version of Thunder Mountain! It loads you in the vehicles in the main part of the park and then you go under the water and the track is in the center of an island. It's so unique!

I think I would miss 90% of the threads I follow if I didn't have that watch thread tab at the top of the site! It keeps me organized. :rotfl2:

I feel like Disneyland Paris is set up be taken at a leisurely stroll. I really hope you can get back there one day and see all the little details they've put into the park. And you should definitely go on their version of Thunder Mountain! It loads you in the vehicles in the main part of the park and then you go under the water and the track is in the center of an island. It's so unique!

Well you've just saved my sanity because I never noticed that until you mentioned it! So much easier!!

Aww, poor Evie!! She sounds so much like Delilah. She was so hesitant about everything in Disneyland last year, and although there were a few things she enjoyed, there were so many more she didn't. We are planning to take her with us to Universal next year in September, thinking she will be 40" and be able to actually ride a few things, but I'm so worried she's going to be terrified of everything! Even riding on E.T. this past trip, when the fog starts blowing in it's so loud and all I could think is it might terrify her!!

Well you've just saved my sanity because I never noticed that until you mentioned it! So much easier!!

Haha, it's a game changer for sure! And I love that when you click the links it takes you right to the last unread message. Helps my lazy self out so much!

Aww, poor Evie!! She sounds so much like Delilah. She was so hesitant about everything in Disneyland last year, and although there were a few things she enjoyed, there were so many more she didn't. We are planning to take her with us to Universal next year in September, thinking she will be 40" and be able to actually ride a few things, but I'm so worried she's going to be terrified of everything! Even riding on E.T. this past trip, when the fog starts blowing in it's so loud and all I could think is it might terrify her!!

Aw, man. What a bummer that she didn't like a lot of the DL stuff. Maybe once she's out of the toddler/preschool phase she will discover something in the parks that she likes. With some kids, I've learned, it's just a process of elimination. I have found out more of the things Evie doesn't like than does.
And you never know, maybe Disney cruises will be her thing!!:rotfl2:

It’s past time my family take an official trip back to the world, and there’s been more than one occasion where I’ve jotted down ideas while I wait for a kid to finish practice. This just means I need you guys to keep writing/updating reports of your own so I can live vicariously through you and continue to gather tips and suggestions for the day we all do get to go back!

Happy to oblige, although going at a much slower pace than I'd like to these days!

She continued on with the meltdown all the way to the part of the line where you go through the turnstiles and split into two lines. People were beginning to shoot us dirty looks and neither Alex nor myself were able to enjoy the amazing details of the surrounding rooms.

It was stressful!

UGH!! Sooooo stressful!

We could reach the exit without struggling against the crowds lined up on the sidewalks for the parade.

I use the Emporium for that a LOT. I hate being trapped on Main Street due to my unusually frequent crappy timing.

Happy to oblige, although going at a much slower pace than I'd like to these days!

UGH!! Sooooo stressful!

I use the Emporium for that a LOT. I hate being trapped on Main Street due to my unusually frequent crappy timing.

That's understandable; I think a lot of us have been very busy these last few months. Sometimes, it can feel like things are never going to slow down.

The Emporium is a good tactic in WDW. Although, it was nice in DLP to have a place to walk the kids through without hearing "Can I get this? Mom, look at that toy....Mom stop I NEED to see this!" :rolleyes: (I have to wonder what percentage of the Emporium's sales comes from tired parents walking through the shops at show times....:rotfl:)

Friday, June 15th, Part 5:

When Alex and I went down to the concierge desk on arrival day and learned there was a six o’clock dinner available at Inventions, we knew we had to snag it. One of the more popular restaurants at Disneyland Paris, it usually fills up fast. Probably because it’s one of the few places on property where you can have character meet and greets, and because it’s located in the Disneyland Hotel.

Alex and I dropped our stroller and bag in the room and walked down the hall to the restaurant. We had eaten at O’hana’s when we stayed at the Polynesian once, and I have to say…having your room a short walk away is a great convenience. I need to make a point to do this more often.

The restaurant opened at 6, so we were one of the first families through the door and were led to the very back room, which was a good distance away from the buffet line but much quieter and more serene.

No sooner had our server walked over and introduced himself then the characters started rolling out! You can see this photo that we were still getting silverware and glasses put on our table:

01.JPG

It was only fitting the star of the show start the cavalcade of character interactions:

02.JPG

Evie did spectacular with Mickey, showing no hesitation at all. She had steadily been getting more comfortable with characters, and I am happy to report that her fear of meet and greets is officially behind us.

No more Garden Grill drama!

:worship:

Hallelujah.

I would hate to relive that night again…

Mickey waved goodbye to us and then suddenly Landon’s favorite pirate was strolling towards us:

03.JPG

Hook is legendary in Landon’s mind, and he thought him quite the charmer when he asked for my hand and gave it a peck.

Ever the gentleman.

But hold on.
We just saw Mickey Mouse. And now we were gushing over Captain Hook?!

Inventions was jumping character families?!?!

Yep.
One of the best things about the Disneyland Paris parks is that they aren’t afraid to mix and match characters. This was more than just a Mickey and friends dinner or a Winnie the Pooh ensemble.

This was whomever DLP felt like calling on that evening.:thumbsup2

The rotation changed a little every day, too. Lesley and Dugette had different people than we did, and they all interacted differently. So, while there’s not much consistency in the system there’s an element of surprise that turned out to be really fun.

Evie saw Hook and even though she likes Peter Pan, she couldn’t get past
PIRATE(!!!) and asked to not meet with him.

Classic pirate, famous pirate, pirate getting chased by a broom, red-headed pirate…doesn’t matter. Evie dislikes them all!

04.JPG

We thought we’d be able to start collecting food for the kids after Hook walked away, but not quite.

One, two, three(!!!) of Mickey’s pals arrived:

05.JPG

I think Landon was losing his mind a little by this point. So many characters in so little time, some of them all together. He was jumping around and grinning and going, “Mom, Dad, it’s Pluto AND Donald AND Goofy.”

What a rare opportunity, seeing and interacting with three of the fab five all at once. Each one was willing to hop and dance around with Landon. They made sure to let the kids high five and hug each one of them, then pose in several different ways for photos. There was no rush, and they even tried to include Alex and me in on the antics.

When the characters walked away, and we got the kids back in their chairs, all four of us were smiling ear to ear. Feeling giddy, goofy, and highly entertained Alex turned to me and said, “Worth it.”

“This is the best character meal we’ve ever done.”

Our server came by at that moment and offered to take a family photo of all of us:

06.JPG

Then, I absolutely insisted I go and get the kids some food. Characters or not, we needed to get the ball rolling!

So while I went and did that, Alex took a look around the room and admired the decorations:

07.JPG

We had the perfect view out our window:

08.JPG

That was the exit to the park down below and the top of the castle in the distance.

09.JPG

I made it back with the kids’ plates just in time to catch Tigger as he approached our table:

10.JPG

Continued in Next Post…

Continued from Previous Post:

Tigger was an enthusiastic fellow. Landon jumped out of his seat when he saw him and began hopping around; Tigger saw that and followed suit.

01.JPG

Oh my. Tigger got some serious air!

02.JPG

Another character meet knocked out, Alex could go grab himself some food while I cut and organized the kids’ plates. The buffet had multiple options for children, with the safe staples that the majority of kids are willing to eat.

03.JPG

Evie’s plate consisted of meatballs, tomatoes, and green beans whereas Landon had lots of carrot sticks and watermelon.

Literally two of his favorite foods on Earth.

Alex returned with his food and then I was able to go get some for myself:

04.JPG

The snap peas and potatoes were delicious! I actually went back and got seconds of those because they were so good.

Alex enjoyed the seafood selection and impressed with the vast array of choices. Not only was there plenty for the kids, but there was a lot of dishes period. I doubt anyone couldn’t have found at least one thing they were willing to eat on the line.

One of the times I was away getting food, Pluto walked by again and tried to sample some of Evie’s food:

05.JPG

In fact, a lot of the characters made multiple circuits around the restaurant. Donald wanted to stop for photos three times, but we had to kind of wave him away. We all really just wanted to eat some of our dinner!

As we were finishing up our entrees, though, one more new character had to say hello:

06.JPG

Another friend from the hundred acre woods, only this one a little less gung-ho than Tigger.

Dessert time rolled around, and I was really excited to get my hands on some amazing pastries. Izzy had asked Landon earlier if he had tried any macarons and when he said he hadn’t, she told him he needed to try some and let her know what his favorite flavor was.

So:

07.JPG

He picked
one
:rotfl:

The chocolate mousse with a candy light saber attracted him more than multiple macarons.

Crazy kid.

(Evie had an identical plate to prevent fighting.)

I chose a couple macarons, myself, along with an éclair, tarte, and cheese:

08.JPG

Alex and I ended up having a lot of fun trying out the macarons and deciding which ones were our favorites. The lemon was MUCH, MUCH better than the one we had at the Happily Ever After dessert party. It was how a lemon pastry should taste!

With all together too many sweets consumed, Alex and I gathered the kids and went to settle our bill. For two adults and two kids, the price came to 215 dollars.
:sad::sad:

Wowza.

That was steep. Really, really steep but Alex readily admitted that it was worth every penny. The food was good – maybe not spectacular – but the character interaction was unprecedented. We had never had so many characters (and such a variety) spend so much time with us and interact so in-depth. The kids left the restaurant going on and on about what they’d just experienced.

It was one of those instances where the magic was alive and palpable in the kids’ eyes, and really…what else can you ask for on a Disney trip?

Would I eat at Inventions every trip? Probably not. Especially since it’s not very consistent.
That being said, it’s absolutely worth it for a splurge, a celebration meal, or a once every few years treat.

Up Next…He’s Off on a Dangerous Mission

Sounds like a great character meal! Pretty similar to the Plaza Inn breakfast in Disneyland, just a hodge podge of characters!

As steep as it was, it sounds like you walked away with priceless memories. Landon's face with Captain Hook is adorable! And Tigger's group hug with both kiddos is so cute!

Wow! What a great meal! The looks on Landons and Evie's faces alone look worth it to me! How fun!

They were so enchanted by all the characters. I think they are at the golden age right now where they believe implicitly in the characters but are also old enough to not be scared of them. We were so glad we decided to book the dinner!

Sounds like a great character meal! Pretty similar to the Plaza Inn breakfast in Disneyland, just a hodge podge of characters!

As steep as it was, it sounds like you walked away with priceless memories. Landon's face with Captain Hook is adorable! And Tigger's group hug with both kiddos is so cute!

I had heard that DL mixes characters, too. To me, that's so much fun! Especially when you never know who is going to pop up next.
Landon was completely starstruck by Hook!

Such a great meal. I love Landon's face as he is looking at all the characters.

I think Landon loves the character meets more and more with every trip. It's definitely become one of his favorite parts of a Disney trip.

Fantastic meal and by the smiles on those faces oh so totally worth every penny!
The photo of Evie and Landon with Tigger just melts my heart :love:

Hey there, names Joseph or Starscream if you prefer, I'm new around here and just wanna say I'm enjoying your trip report. The kids seemed to be enjoying themselves there with the character meal at Inventions. Shame I didn't get Hook when I went.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!