Say Bye-Bye To The iasw Goodbyes

I wish they would add the Disney characters to ISAW like Disneyland did. It's very subtle, but improves the ride so much. I agree that this "new" feature reminds me of ET, except you won't be able to give silly fake names like my family does when we ride ET.

Meh, I'm not jazzed or angry about this but what I do feel is that I want to smash all these stupid ipads people insist on using as cameras and video!!! (and this isn't a random rant, there's an ipad in the video)

I HATE people filming with iPads. At my DD's Christmas "show" at preschool the woman in front of me held up her giant iPad the entire time blocking my view. I really do not understand it. If someone does that while I am at Disney I might have to say something.

Am I to understand that only resort guests will have this little treat, and that if I am a day guest to the park, I will just see a blank space?

I HATE people filming with iPads. At my DD's Christmas "show" at preschool the woman in front of me held up her giant iPad the entire time blocking my view. I really do not understand it. If someone does that while I am at Disney I might have to say something.

I'm pretty sure the roll out of My Magic+ is going to increase presence and use of ipads in the park substantially. It has far better battery life than many smart phones, and the MDE app works better. The FP+ "upgrade" info so far seems to indicate you will be able to change FP selectons on the fly - but if you do not want to stand at a kiosk, you will need smart phone or mobile device. Sorry!!

Am I to understand that only resort guests will have this little treat, and that if I am a day guest to the park, I will just see a blank space?

My understanding is that everyone will have the chips and be able to participate in the new technologies. If you are a resort guest you will have a wristband. If you are a day guest you will have a chip built into your ticket that will work for Fastpass+ and technologies like what is apparently being installed at IASW. The system is being issued in phases with wristbands for day guests are being rolled out first, followed by Annual Pass holders, then day guests.

Praying Colonel said:
The Yeti says hi.

(Or would if he could move.)

;)

Yeah but how much does one animatronic yeti cost in comparison to this park-wide RFID update? Pennies. I'm not saying it's 100% going to work flawlessly every time. Sometimes investments don't pay off, and the yeti would be an example of that, but people are assuming it's going to be a huge failure as if Disney just tosses their money around without any sort of tests to make sure the technology works. It seems pretty silly to jump to that conclusion without even seeing the final product yet. We don't even know precisely what this new ending is going to be or how it will work yet, and people are assuming complete and total failure.

This actually makes me sad. I've been riding IASW for 28 years and the goodbye's were and always will be a favorite.

I understand wanting, and perhaps needing, new technology but why mess with an attraction that has stood its ground for 41 years? Not to mention, the information surrounding MagicBand is still unknown - will it be offered to everyone? only guests staying on-site? free or an upcharge? If only some will be able to utilize the Band, that leaves a heck of a lot of other people out of the customization feature.

Yeah but how much does one animatronic yeti cost in comparison to this park-wide RFID update? Pennies. I'm not saying it's 100% going to work flawlessly every time. Sometimes investments don't pay off, and the yeti would be an example of that, but people are assuming it's going to be a huge failure as if Disney just tosses their money around without any sort of tests to make sure the technology works. It seems pretty silly to jump to that conclusion without even seeing the final product yet. We don't even know precisely what this new ending is going to be or how it will work yet, and people are assuming complete and total failure.

The Yeti is just 1 example, even if you want to write off the capital cost of it as insignificant. The point remains that the change may or may not be successful (IMHO it's too early to say), but "too big to fail" is not a good argument why it will work out.

I loved the goodbye signs, the art and design of that whole ride is just spectacular, and it was such a sweet way to end it. I sure hope they incorporate them into the reno, maybe by adding the names to the goodbye message.

Praying Colonel said:
The Yeti is just 1 example, even if you want to write off the capital cost of it as insignificant. The point remains that the change may or may not be successful (IMHO it's too early to say), but "too big to fail" is not a good argument why it will work out.

I never meant it was too big to fail. I was just astounded that people were jumping to the conclusion that it won't work and will be a big failure without knowing anything about it. And when a lot of money is involved, you know a lot of research is too, because no company is careless with money. Does it mean it will definitely work? No, of course not. But people have been talking about these changes as if the people at Disney just came up with it one day, did no research, and tossed some money at it, and it's doomed for failure. Nobody even knows enough about it yet to be making those kinds of assumptions.

:thumbsup2 If you're not "wearing" the band and it's in your bag ect, will they still be able to read where you are?

1) Yes.
2) RFID chips can be read from inside bags/pockets.
3) And, with some distance.
4) If not, how could the ride "see you" from inside the boat?

Aw, this makes me sad. I'm glad I got a really good shot of the goodbye signs a few trips ago - actually used it as the last page of my photobook for that trip. :sad:

I wondered what they were going to do since all the signs were gone last Wednesday.

I am really not happy with this. I will keep an open mind and test it out on my next trip but I don't understand why they need to change the classics. Keep all of that technology in the new stuff, leave the old stuff alone. I see enough screens in my life, I don't want to be bombarded with them at WDW. And I enjoyed being in the last room (especially if you were "stuck" there for a few minutes) and everyone in the boat was READING all of the signs.

I can't tell you how many times I've been stuck in the "goodbye room". Now I need to hear my name repeated over and over. At least I'll also get to know everybody's name in the boat with me.

I dunno, maybe I'm optimistic, but I think this sounds pretty cool! My little cousins (3 and 5) will be there this summer and I think this would WOW them. :)

I'll miss the signs.

I know it's been said before, but I hope they leave names out of it. I don't really want my kid's name flashed on a screen for everyone to see. Or mine.

I realize that most people don't care... I guess I just like my privacy. Might invite some unwanted attention.

But how many of you will give up an E-ticket fastpass for this? Because that's sort of the tradeoff coming.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter