Saw lots of men yesterday spending $20 or less on flowers..

Pacolovestacos

DIS Veteran
Kind of laughed yesterday at the sight of all these men running to the local grocer at the end of the day and spending $20 or less on dying, hideous flowers.

Do people not put any thought into gifts anymore?

Yes, I had to take DS12 to the CVS Minute Clinic last night (he's fine, just a virus, wanted to rule out strep). It was roughly 7pm. Lots of guys in the card/gift aisle.

I'll be honest, my wife and I don't even bother with Valentines Day anymore. She doesn't really care about that kind of stuff, and neither do I. We get some candy for the kids, but that's it.

Kind of laughed yesterday at the sight of all these men running to the local grocer at the end of the day and spending $20 or less on dying, hideous flowers.

Do people not put any thought into gifts anymore?

Maybe that's all they had to spend? Maybe they had to save for that?

If my husband brought home a $5, $10, $15, or $20 bouquet of flowers for me, I'd be as happy as I am when he has nice ones delivered. In fact, I'd rather he save the money and bring me some home from the store.

Our grocery store sells great flowers. I tell my boyfriend to never spend more than $15-20 on flowers. We only buy grocery store flowers. Our local produce junction sells a dozen roses for $6.

And to be honest I'm not big on Vday. But he feels that he has to get something for me on the actual day. I'm just glad that after 5 years he finally listened and didn't get me a box of chocolates. I hate the assortment. I instead got real candy bars.

I'm looking forward to our private cooking class with a group of friends this Saturday which is our "vday plans." We get to eat everything after too!

Unlikely. Demographics of my area are typically upper middle class. So can't go with that line of thought.

We live in an upper middle class area as well (are just on the border of middle middle and upper middle ourselves) and with a son in college, another having to pay $1300 for an 8th grade class trip, and some other unexpected bills, I would have been angry at my husband if he spent more than $20 on me for Valentine's day.

Of course if you saw that many, they probably weren't ALL in situations like ours.

Last edited:
Valentine's Day: where we commemorate the torture and murder of an elderly man by exchanging sweet nothings with our loved ones.

For what it's worth, I went to a real florist and ordered real flowers days before VD (and Mrs. Homie sat in the car while I did!). And I am not impressed. It appears they painted some of the flowers. From where I sit, that's cheating; if the flowers are sub-par, they do not belong in a professional floral arrangement. But then again, I'm not in the floral industry so maybe painting the flowers is acceptable.

I think its more a matter of convenience, not whether they put thought into it. If my dh showed up with those flowers I'd count that as thoughtful since he normally does nothing LOL.
My dd's boyfriend got her some inexpensive almost dying roses, she loved them. 2 broke teens :)

St. Valentine's Day ranks 3rd in holiday flower purchases. Not too shabby.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter