Saw "Hamilton" last night

You're definitely right that there's a historical fiction bent to it. A reading of Chernow's book confirms how much was embellished or changed. I wouldn't want my kid to see the play and think he knows everything about Alexander Hamilton, that's for sure!

You're definitely right that there's a historical fiction bent to it. A reading of Chernow's book confirms how much was embellished or changed. I wouldn't want my kid to see the play and think he knows everything about Alexander Hamilton, that's for sure!

Yeah Lin Manuel Miranda even says that the purpose is to get people to be pumped up about history but not to take it as 100% fact. The 4 main men did not meet in a bar all on the same night for one. The big events are historical (Burr killing Hamilton, Phillip dying in a duel, etc) but it does embellish a lot of minor facts for the sake of shortening the musical and being able to cover his entire life.

Yeah Lin Manuel Miranda even says that the purpose is to get people to be pumped up about history but not to take it as 100% fact. The 4 main men did not meet in a bar all on the same night for one. The big events are historical (Burr killing Hamilton, Phillip dying in a duel, etc) but it does embellish a lot of minor facts for the sake of shortening the musical and being able to cover his entire life.

Edited. Over insufferable posters who feel superior by correcting people

Last edited:
Sorry, did you think the musical was a documentary?

I salute your attempt to make a stranger on the internet look dumb though.

I didn't see that as trying to make someone feel dumb. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people that think it IS fiction in the general sense of the word. That is completely made up, not an artistic version of true events. I mean, if that were fiction then basically all biographies, tv documentaries, radio plays, etc would be fiction.

And, maybe its pedantic but expanding words to mean things they don't bugs me. But to each their own. If other people around you understand what you mean then good for all of you. :)

I have the books, want the t-shirt, will get tix when they go on sale in Baltimore.

Last edited:
Fiction is made up events about made up people. A dramatized version of true events is by definition not fiction. See, there is such a thing as a true story plus artistic license. The events really happened. The people really lived. They just weren't singing when they did it, nor did they say those exact words. If that's the definition of fiction, then 90% of all biographies are "fiction" too.

Or maybe there is such a thing as nuance, and the line between fiction/non-fiction isn't nearly so black and white as you think it is. :)

Oh Lordy.

Read the rest of the posts.

Oh Lordy.

Read the rest of the posts.

Oh I did. I did change it. I still stand by this though. But I do find it funny you're getting me on me for correctly defining the word fiction. And then asserting your own right to be offended by that. You can think I'm wrong. I can think I'm right. Whatever, its the internet, you know?

I love the cast album and I re

I hoped you know it was based on real events. On the 100th anniversary of the Titanic sinking, there were comments by people who thought it was just a movie and didn't know it actually happened (minus Jack and Rose). I get what you're saying and I'm sorry if I offended you. I love the show too. :)

Titanic is a classic example of historical fiction; Braveheart too. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter