Saw A Rocket Launch From Our Balcony Last Week!

walter

DIS Veteran
Was anyone staying at WDW last week and happen to see the launch of an Atlas rocket from Cape Canaveral? I could not believe how bright it was in the sky and being so visible considering the distance from WDW to the coast!

When I was stationed on the USS Briscoe DD977 in the early 80's, we were just off the coast of Port Canaveral and were fortunate enough to see a night launch of the Space Shuttle. I know what you mean, it was a awesome sight to behold! Definitely something that I will never forget.

My DW and I had the honour of watching the USS Columbia go into space in November '97 from the perfect vantage point of a pier in Titusville. CMs told us that we could quite easily stay at WDW and see the same launch because Florida is so flat. It was truly sad to see the same shuttle disintegrate upon re-entry just over a year ago -- and this made all the more poignant by the fact that both shuttle flights shared some of the same crew members. We will never forget the sights, the sounds and the feeling of watching a shuttle launch.

We have seen two Shuttle launches from OKW. One was just at dawn, with the Shuttle's exhaust plume lit against the rising sun. The other was after dark. As soon as ignition occurred, the entire east side of the sky lit up orange. We could still see the Shuttle after the solid rockets burned out.

We've also seen one Shuttle launch from KSC itself. They're all quite a sight!

We saw it too, Walter, and actually got a couple of pictures.

We were on the BWV balcony, 5th floor, over Big River Grill, and it came up from just to the left of the ESPN club.

Quite a site indeed.

We saw the last space shuttle launch (the one that didn't return), but we happened to be at the MK that day, so we went over to the Contemporary and went up to the roof to watch it. Got some great pictures!

of a shuttle launch I took from outside Atlantic Dance on the Boardwalk

We saw a space shuttle launch while staying at VB a few years ago. AWESOME! I had tears in my eyes. I only hope we get the chance to see something like that again.

How exciting. I caught the contrail of a shuttle launch while in Epcot one year.

Here's a shot of a shuttle launch seen from Vero that a local restaurant uses. I sure would love to be able to see that someday.

Ocean Grill-Shuttle

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter