Savanna View-Is it worth it?

BeccaG

DIS Veteran
Beginning to plan a trip for 2013 and looking at staying at AKV. Tell me about the Savanna view (the good bad and ugly!) :)

What animals do you see?

What is the difference between the views from Jambo and Kidani?

What should I know that I am not asking?

Thanks!

Hi! I am not an expert by any means, but stayed savannah view at Kidani in Feb, and i think it is definitely worth it! Had my morning coffee on the balcony watching zebras, giraffes, and ankole cattle (with the big horns)!:cloud9: However, there is good animal viewing from the lobby and observation areas, so you will see animals even if you decide not to spend the extra points for savannah view.

There are 2 savannahs at Kidani, Pembe and Sunset. Sunset has the animals above, plus I think some smaller gazelles, etc. Pembe does not have giraffes, because their barn is not tall enough! They have some wart hogs and I forget what other animals that are not on sunset. You can make a room request for the savannah you prefer. Sunset is much bigger, so your odds are better if you request it.

If you will not have a car, you might ask to be close to the lobby. The hallways are very long and can be overwhelming when walking in from the bus at the end of a long day. Kidani has parking under the building and you can park near the elevator for your room/section, so doesn't really matter if you will have a car.

DH and I absolutely loved Kidani. We have stayed at BLT, BWV, SS, OKW and now Kidani. We enjoyed each for different reasons but agreed that if we add on, it will be at Kidani! (Currently own BLT). Love the atmosphere and the theming/decor. Cool activities, such as folk tales around the fire in the evening and night vision goggles at the viewing area.......

Have a great time, whatever you decide!

Actually at Kidani we prefer to be about halfway down. While the halls are long, we found it to be quieter and saw more animals away from the lobby.

Not that we did not see animals in the lobby but they were the two legged variety :rotfl2:

The major advantage at Jambo is being near the quick service Mara, as Kindani does not have one.

I can get a parking lot view or a pool view at any resort. Where else can you get a savanna view? Only AKL/AKV at WDW. To us, it's the best reason to stay at AKV/AKL.

Thanks all, that's what I wanted to hear! :)

So if you were going to make a request would it be Kidani, Sunset Savanna, perhaps in the middle of the hall? Seeing a giraffe out my balcony would make my trip for sure!

And, out of curiosity, how far away are the animals?

We stayed 1 night savanna view and cannot wait to go back! I was in awe but then again I love my balconies and let me tell you I was outside more then inside! Even at night we had animals sleeping right below our balcony verrrry cool and so quiet. When I go back I will only stay if I can get a savanna view and I loved Kidani with the 2nd bath in a 1 bedroom!

We have stayed both at Jambo and Kidani in a SV and always loved it. In Jan, we decided last minute to bring my parents on our trip, and to save points booked a standard view 2bd at Kidani.

WE HATED IT!!!

Can't stress it enough. Overlooked the parking lot and drive up to the resort. With the balcony open, we heard the buses go by non stop. We requested a pool view, but didn't get it. Maybe it would have been a bit better, but we didn't luck out.

It honestly felt like we were at a ball park looking the wrong direction.

Yep. People will tell that there are plenty of viewing areas, and how exciting is it to see a giraffe day after day. I'd say if seeing a giraffe or zebra isn't your thing, then don't stay at AKV. I could sit and watch them all day, (granted I'm a vet and love animals, but come on, they are amazing animals).

If you stay at AK, book a savannah view.

We have stayed at Kidani standard view a couple of times. I was happy with the location and the low points. Then we had to stay savannah view because there were no standard views available. We loved it! It was awesome seeing the giraffes walk so close to your room. I won't ever stay standard view again!

We always request close to the bus stop and a lower floor. Then you get a great view of the animals and not too far to walk after a long day at the parks. It's closer to Jambo too.

This was the view from our room on the Sunset Savana. We were the 1st dedicated 2BR off the lobby. I purposely took this from inside the room. In this picture, you can only see the zebra in the background.

Also, FYI- on the Pembe, they do not have the giraffes and zebra, but do have the okapi, and red river hogs that you can't see on the Sunset.
kodakm380671.jpg

This was the view from our room on the Sunset Savana. We were the 1st dedicated 2BR off the lobby. I purposely took this from inside the room. In this picture, you can only see the zebra in the background.

Also, FYI- on the Pembe, they do not have the giraffes and zebra, but do have the okapi, and red river hogs that you can't see on the Sunset.
kodakm380671.jpg

When you come into the lobby were you on the side closest to the Front Desk or the other side closest to the gift shop and Jambo.

I think being on the Jambo side is better.

Our view from our room at Kidani in November (and there was no zoom on my camera -- we were just that close!)

_MG_3816.jpg

I think it was the best view of any room I've ever stayed in at WDW. Absolutely worth every penny. We spent most mornings on the balcony, having our coffee, and just about every night out there with a glass of wine, watching the animals. Savanna View all the way! :thumbsup2

DH and I stayed in a 1 bedroom SV in March, Jambo. That was our first time in a SV. It was lovely, but I don't need to do it again if it's just the two of us.

1. What time of year are you going? Consider how cold it will be. If it's 50 degrees outside, I doubt you'll be enjoying the balcony and animals.

2. When we stayed at AKV a few years ago with our teenaged sons, I gave them a choice of a 2 bedroom STD or a 1 bedroom SV. They wanted the separate bedroom, so we went with the 2 bedroom. It was a wise decision. We loved all that room.

3. Jambo vs. Kidani. DH and I stayed in Jambo for our weekend trip in March, because we wanted to be where the action is. I will say that the 1 bedroom was a little smaller than Kidani, and we didn't get the jacuzzi tub and great shower that you get in Kidani. I will weigh that into my decision next time we stay there.

We have always had great savanna view rooms at Kidani and Jambo alike. We prefer the Kidani ones though because we can request second floor.

We stayed at AKV Kidani for the first time last month...in a Grand Villa Savannah View. It was incredible!!! Even my 9 year old said the animals were his favorite part of the whole trip!

I guess part of it depends on how much time you spend in your room. We usually spend a few days in the parks, and a few days just chillin. So it was definitely worth it for me. It was great sitting on the balcony drinking coffee!!!

DH and I stayed in a 1 bedroom SV in March, Jambo. That was our first time in a SV. It was lovely, but I don't need to do it again if it's just the two of us.

1. What time of year are you going? Consider how cold it will be. If it's 50 degrees outside, I doubt you'll be enjoying the balcony and animals.

2. When we stayed at AKV a few years ago with our teenaged sons, I gave them a choice of a 2 bedroom STD or a 1 bedroom SV. They wanted the separate bedroom, so we went with the 2 bedroom. It was a wise decision. We loved all that room.

3. Jambo vs. Kidani. DH and I stayed in Jambo for our weekend trip in March, because we wanted to be where the action is. I will say that the 1 bedroom was a little smaller than Kidani, and we didn't get the jacuzzi tub and great shower that you get in Kidani. I will weigh that into my decision next time we stay there.

Thanks for the advice, we are going in June with 2-4 young kids so I think the weather will be perfect for kid animal viewing! princess:

Thanks for the advice, we are going in June with 2-4 young kids so I think the weather will be perfect for kid animal viewing! princess:

No brainer then. :) Kidani pool has a splash section for young kids. Either way, you'll have a great time I'm sure.

Ok, I'm obviously the point-miser among this group of DISers! :rolleyes: We booked 5 nights in a standard view 2-BR at Jambo House last August. We were doing a split stay with BLT and we did Standard view there too (see - I'm cheap with the points! :lmao:). We lucked out and were upgraded to a Savannah view - not sure why, but didn't care! :cool1: I have to say, we enjoyed it a lot more than I thought we would. Since we were there for the first part of our trip, I thought we'd be at the parks most of the time and not "at home" enough during the day to enjoy watching the animals. Well, maybe it was because we got the savannah view, but we made it a point to spend time every day out on the balcony and enjoying the animals and the view. It was truly spectacular and I was so grateful. If you have enough points, I would definitely go for the savannah view - especially with your kiddos at a nice-weather time of year and for just a couple of nights (with the 5 nights the difference in points did start to mount). You'll have a SUPER time!

A savannah view is a must - at least once. It is so special to be able to go out on your balcony and watch the animals. I prefer Kidani over Jambo from a balcony perspective since Jambo only has DVC rooms on floors 5 & 6. With Kidani, you can request your room on the 2nd or 3rd floor and be much closer to the animals.

You're going to love it!!

Beginning to plan a trip for 2013 and looking at staying at AKV. Tell me about the Savanna view (the good bad and ugly!) :)

What animals do you see?

Thanks!

There is nothing better than waking up and looking out your window and having the wildlife practically right outside your window popcorn::

What animals do you see?

Thanks!

Is it worth it?

Yes...yes, it is. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter