Sandy Concert, You Watching?

We watched it on AMC.

We were disappointed not to see more of Dave Grohl and the other Nirvana members too. Paul did fine with them.

I also wanted more of Eddie Vedder. Love him!

Did anyone see Dave Grohl host/fill in for Chelsea Lately last week? He was pretty funny!

On behalf of my 6 coworkers who lost their homes in the storm, and of those of my students still living in shelters or in a house with 18 relatives, many sincere thanks to all those who have contributed to the relief effort.

I watched up until 11 pm, then had to call it quits before Billy Joel or Paul McCartney.

Amen, here at my school it is the same situation. Plus many students are in the most awful hotels with too many people and pets. I really want to monitor where the money goes if that is possible.

We also watched on AMC. I think they said it was being broadcast on something like 36 channels plus Clear Channel.

We went to bed right after Bon Jovi. Couldn't keep my eyes open any longer. Bet we missed some really good performances from what I'm reading here. Kinda glad I missed Kanye West, however ... also based on what I'm reading here. A leather skirt? :eek:

Also, the thing to remember is fundraisers like this happen because somebody very persistently organized them. Sadly, other disasters lacked somebody who was willing to do this. Would it have been better for Brangelina to use their celeb power to organize a giant Katrina concert or spend it in NO building houses? Tough call. Same with Sean Penn and Haiti. From what I understand Matt Lauer is largely responsible for this. Not sure if that's true. But there are many celebs with a NY connection. Calling folks up and asking them to do this for NY clearly got big response. If a town did not get such an event it's because nobody with the right connections or who was very persistent organized such a thing.

I'm traveling so I missed it. Quite bummed about it. I hope it will be rebroadcast somewhere.

Great benefit for Sandy victims!! But I would like to ask everyone to remember & pray for another Sandy victim who lives here in Georgia.
Little 2yr old Tripp Halstead was playing outside his day care on Oct 29th when high winds from Sandy caused a tree limb to break away and hit Tripp on the head. He is still hospitalized and just had his skull reattached 2 days ago. His family posts daily updates on Facebook if any are interested in his recovery.

I agree, their have been numerous disasters in other parts of the country that don't get televised concerts/fundraisers.

:thumbsup2

No, we didn't watch. We had no idea it was on TV or even happening.

Same here. Only b/c of the DIS did I know anything was happening for Sandy, really. I knew that a big concert was happening 12-12-12 with Springsteen and uh....I think that's the only one I remember. But I had no clue it was for Sandy. I thought it was just to celebrate the date.

It was on again this afternoon. Believe it or not, all the missed bleeps? They didn't edit it!

Also, the thing to remember is fundraisers like this happen because somebody very persistently organized them. Sadly, other disasters lacked somebody who was willing to do this. Would it have been better for Brangelina to use their celeb power to organize a giant Katrina concert or spend it in NO building houses? Tough call. Same with Sean Penn and Haiti. From what I understand Matt Lauer is largely responsible for this. Not sure if that's true. But there are many celebs with a NY connection. Calling folks up and asking them to do this for NY clearly got big response. If a town did not get such an event it's because nobody with the right connections or who was very persistent organized such a thing.

There were benefit concerts for Hurricane Katrina.

And over a year after Katrina, people still hadn't gotten the help that they needed, they were still living in FEMA trailers below poverty standards. it is bad all the way around, your area isn't special in this circumstance. I think that is why some may be getting a little tired. Disasters get forgotten all the time, it is wrong, but it is what happens. Life goes on, and it is sad.

PS I didn't watch the concert, not because I don't care, I do. I just don't care for any of the performers really.

Well it's not "my area." I don't live in the NY/NJ area. Second, my post was in regards to who does and doesn't get concerts and why they are more needed in certain disaster situations. The federal and state governments, as well as organizations like the Red Cross, have the resources and infrastructure to handle (again, not perfectly) disasters on small to medium scale - like a storm that impacts 2-3 counties in Vermont. When you get to storms like Katrina that cause mass destruction, or Sandy where it hits a densely populated area, then more resources are needed and people turn to raising money through events like concerts. Katrina is a good point. There was a huge concert and numerous fundraisers for Katrina and people still aren't back to the same standard of life as they were before.

Nope I'm not and I won't. When Irene nailed VT we didn't get any concerts. I've sent stuff down to NJ via local trucks that I knew the drivers and radio stations involved so it's not that I don't feel bad for them we've lived through it. I have friends that their families graves are still missing.....

I know I'm a little late to the conversation, but maybe you are unaware that Irene also caused huge losses in NJ & NY. It made landfall in NJ not far from where Sandy made landfall this year. It also made landfall in NY. People who have just finished getting their homes back in order from the damage Irene did, now have even more damage to deal with. While I'm sorry that you have friends who have family graves that are still missing, there are thousands of people in NY & NJ who will NEVER get back into their homes, as they were swept out to sea. Additionally, many of those people will either not be permitted to rebuild or be able to afford to rebuild.

As to the concert, I watched. I thought it was a wonderful manifestation of the brotherhood of man and showed the strength and resolve of the human spirit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter