SanDiego-Where to Stay?

ginnenern

We're almost there!!
We live on the east coast and have always left out of Port Canaveral. So excited to see the west coast and leave out of San Diego!! Need recommendations on pre-cruise hotels (especially any that have a view to catch the Wonder coming into port) and any "must do" activities while in San Diego. Thanks!!

We live on the east coast and have always left out of Port Canaveral. So excited to see the west coast and leave out of San Diego!! Need recommendations on pre-cruise hotels (especially any that have a view to catch the Wonder coming into port) and any "must do" activities while in San Diego. Thanks!!
I've not stayed there, but the Wyndham is directly across the street from the port.

It's the buildings with the blue trim (to the left & directly ahead) in this picture (taken from the Wonder):

18041 P1080102 1500.jpg

The zoo is our best attraction, I would say. It's truly world class. If you want something free, the beaches are very nice. I'm partial to La Jolla shores for a stroll or swim, and you can then go to La Jolla cove to see the seals.
I no longer eat meat, but if you do, you shouldn't go to the west coast without hitting In n out burgers. I recommend adding grilled onions. It's traditional to dip your fries in your shake at least once.
Also, you must have Mexican food, preferably a California burrito.
Old Town is kinda fun, too. Although very tourist-trappy.
How long are you planning on being there?
You'll need to Uber or rent a car because the busses are terrible.

The zoo is our best attraction, I would say. It's truly world class. If you want something free, the beaches are very nice. I'm partial to La Jolla shores for a stroll or swim, and you can then go to La Jolla cove to see the seals.
I no longer eat meat, but if you do, you shouldn't go to the west coast without hitting In n out burgers. I recommend adding grilled onions. It's traditional to dip your fries in your shake at least once.
Also, you must have Mexican food, preferably a California burrito.
Old Town is kinda fun, too. Although very tourist-trappy.
How long are you planning on being there?

Thanks so much! This is great info! Good to know about the buses...Uber it is!!! We will be in SanDiego for 4 days and then board the Wonder on Friday for 2 nights...will spend our anniversary on the boat. Will definitely get in the zoo, the beach, and making my list of eateries...but fries in my shake???? Maybe not. How far is the Gas Light district from the port. I hear lots of cool things are there?

I've not stayed there, but the Wyndham is directly across the street from the port.

It's the buildings with the blue trim (to the left & directly ahead) in this picture (taken from the Wonder):

Last edited:
I don't love the dipped fries, but it's a very San Diego thing. If you get both, give it a try.
The gaslamp is not very far at all -a solid walk or a short uber ride, or you could take a pedicab! I have no idea how much those cost though. There are a lot of bars and restaurants there for sure, but it's not really my scene... I do like Searsucker, by Brian Malarkey of Top Chef fame. Both the food and drinks are very good, but the space is a bit loud.
I can't really help with Mexican food-I know the good places in my hood and further south in Chula Vista,but not by the port...
Likewise, I can recommend excellent sushi and great pho, but it would be a 20-30 minute drive.

We stayed at the Springhill Suites Bayfront in San Diego. It is less than 5" walk to the port, and a 15" walk the other direction to a mall and a grocery store. It was perfect for us because it had a kitchen and free breakfast.

We are staying at the Wyndham when we sail out of SD this fall, but when I'm there for business, I stay in the Gaslamp Quarter (Hotel Indigo is the current fave) which isn't at all far from the pier. I wouldn't walk it with my luggage like you can do from the Wyndham, but it's a short bus/Uber/trolley ride.

I don't really have any hotel recommendations, but I have a bunch of activity ones.

I second the zoo and pretty much the whole Balboa Park area, which is where the zoo is situated. It's gorgeous, extremely walkable, and there's a ton of museums and gardens there. Balboa Park offers an explorer pass which will get you into 17 participating museums there. Depending on how many you hit, it can definitely be worth the money.

I also second La Jolla Shores for swimming and La Jolla Cove for the seals. There are some remarkable views there. If you're feeling up to it, you can take advantage of the kayak/surfboard rentals.

While In & Out is a west coast staple, if you really want a fantastic burger and don't mind going a little out of the way for it, go to Hodad's in OB (Ocean Beach). It's a San Diego institution. There's also a Hodad's downtown, but the area it is in is kinda sketchy. The area it's in in OB is funky, and on Wednesdays from 4:00 - 8:00PM, they have an awesome street fair with bands. It takes place literally just a few feet up the street from where Hodad's is located.

The Gaslamp Quarter is super lively and there are some great pubs, bars, clubs, and restaurants there. Our favorite place to go there though is The Shout!House. It's a dueling piano bar. The piano players take requests and can play anything from classical to rap to current chart toppers. They also play Disney and Nintendo music from time to time when requested. They do get a bit raunchy as the evening wears on, but if you don't mind that, it's a fun place to go and I recommend it.

If you stay near the ship, you'll have the San Diego Waterfront Park to explore. Little Italy is just up the street from there and has some delicious restaurants as well. You can also tour the Star of India or if you walk a couple blocks south, you can tour the U.S.S. Midway. There's a fantastic side park next to the midway with a bunch of different memorials to our servicemen and women, as well as the giant sculpture of the sailor kissing the nurse in Time's Square at the end of WWII. It's called the "Embracing Peace" statue.

If you continue south that way, you can walk to Seaport Village, the marina, and the Convention Center. If you want to hit an infamous movie spot, the Kansas City BBQ is across from Seaport Village. If you've seen Top Gun, that is the place Maverick and company sang "You've Lost That Loving Feeling". I've never eaten there, so I can't say how good it is.

You may also like visiting Coronado, which has a lovely beach, fancy houses, and is home to one of the inspirations for Disney World's Grand Floridian, the Hotel Del Coronado (or Hotel Del, as we locals call it). You can get there one of two ways, but the quickest would be using the Coronado Bridge, which is the giant arching blue thing that stretches over the bay from downtown to Coronado.

And a few other suggestions for around here:
  • If you like baseball, Petco Park is a trolley ride away, next to the convention center. The Padres play there. You'll have to check their schedule to see who they're playing but it might be a team you want to see.
  • Point Loma's Cabrillo National Monument and Liberty Station. The Old Point Loma Lighthouse is open to visitors at Cabrillo and there are some breathtaking views of the Pacific. Liberty Station isn't too far from there and houses some great restaurants.
  • If you're up for exploring more of San Diego county rather than just the city (and you have a rented car), Del Mar is worth a visit, as is making the drive to the mountains to see Julian or visit the observatory at Palomar Mountain. If you'd like a taste of the Old West, there's Old Poway Park in Poway or Old Town (which is touristy but it's also fun and has some museums there). Head to the glider port in Torrey Pines to watch people take off and hang glide over the beach. There are also hot air balloon rides, if you're feeling adventurous. Torrey Pines also has some great trails. And if trails are your thing, you should definitely hike to Potato Chip rock. For those with hiking experience and who like a challenge, you should take the Lake Poway trail up. For those who aren't interested in an 8-mile round trip hike, use the Ramona side trail. And you'll want to take your picture once you're up there to prove you've done it.
  • If you'd like to see the sister park to the San Diego Zoo, you'll need to visit the Safari Park (Wild Animal Park to locals) in Escondido. It's a different experience from the Zoo and they offer a lot of different adventure/interactions that you can't get at the Zoo. For instance, there is a caravan you can take out into their open roaming grounds and you can feed giraffes. They also have a zipline and ropes course that puts you high in the trees above exhibits and people. You can also sit front and center during a cheetah run demonstration and meet the cheetah and her pet dog after the exhibition. Even if you don't want to spend the money on the different adventure/encounter packages, you can still get up close with a lot of animals there through other exhibits (like the lorikeets, lemurs, and butterflies).
  • For Mexican food, Lucha Libre is supposed to be fantastic. I've never been, but every time I've driven by there, there is always a line out the door. El Indio is supposed to also have terrific Mexican food and is just a block away from Lucha Libre. My favorite place in that same area though is Shakespeare's Pub. It's an English pub owned and operated by ex-pats. They also operate a little shop around the corner that sells a bunch of British goods, from food and drink to dvds and teapots. We always hit it up afterward to stock up on our British candy and crisps. Then there's Hillcrest which is home to a lot of delicious restaurants, like Snooze, Hash House-A-Go-Go, and Bronx Pizza. For sweet stuff, you might want to hit up Extraordinary Desserts in the evening and Donut Bar in the morning. But you have to get to Donut Bar early because they sell out quickly and once they're out, they close for the day.
  • San Diego is the nation's hotbed for microbreweries. If you like beer and are interested in taking a tour, many local breweries offer them.

And while I can't speak of the buses, we love the trolley. It's easy, convenient, and not that expensive. Definitely make sure to purchase your pass though; they check often to make sure you've paid to use it.

Hope that helps!

I don't really have any hotel recommendations, but I have a bunch of activity ones.
  • If you'd like to see the sister park to the San Diego Zoo, you'll need to visit the Safari Park (Wild Animal Park to locals) in Escondido. It's a different experience from the Zoo and they offer a lot of different adventure/interactions that you can't get at the Zoo. For instance, there is a caravan you can take out into their open roaming grounds and you can feed giraffes. They also have a zipline and ropes course that puts you high in the trees above exhibits and people. You can also sit front and center during a cheetah run demonstration and meet the cheetah and her pet dog after the exhibition. Even if you don't want to spend the money on the different adventure/encounter packages, you can still get up close with a lot of animals there through other exhibits (like the lorikeets, lemurs, and butterflies).

Hope that helps!

Not the OP, but thanks for the info.

We are headed to San Diego in May and have booked in at the King Inn. It was super cheap and reviews really well on Trip Advisor. We are arriving around 11am on the Monday and renting a car, the cruise leaves Wednesday. Our plan is to go to the Safari Park, I love cheetahs and want to do the Cheetah run. I am hoping we will have some time to see other parts on San Diego, I don't think we will be able to fit in the zoo though :(

If you have kids under 10, I can't say enough good things about LegoLand, especially if you can swing a night at the LegoLand Hotel. You can jump the Amtrak from San Diego and then get an Uber (or rent a car).
We always love going to the Midway (near the cruise terminal).
There is so much to do (and eat), you can't do it all.

I second the zoo and pretty much the whole Balboa Park area, which is where the zoo is situated. It's gorgeous, extremely walkable, and there's a ton of museums and gardens there. Balboa Park offers an explorer pass which will get you into 17 participating museums there. Depending on how many you hit, it can definitely be worth the money.

I also second La Jolla Shores for swimming and La Jolla Cove for the seals. There are some remarkable views there. If you're feeling up to it, you can take advantage of the kayak/surfboard rentals.

While In & Out is a west coast staple, if you really want a fantastic burger and don't mind going a little out of the way for it, go to Hodad's in OB (Ocean Beach). It's a San Diego institution. There's also a Hodad's downtown, but the area it is in is kinda sketchy. The area it's in in OB is funky, and on Wednesdays from 4:00 - 8:00PM, they have an awesome street fair with bands. It takes place literally just a few feet up the street from where Hodad's is located.

The Gaslamp Quarter is super lively and there are some great pubs, bars, clubs, and restaurants there. Our favorite place to go there though is The Shout!House. It's a dueling piano bar. The piano players take requests and can play anything from classical to rap to current chart toppers. They also play Disney and Nintendo music from time to time when requested. They do get a bit raunchy as the evening wears on, but if you don't mind that, it's a fun place to go and I recommend it.

If you stay near the ship, you'll have the San Diego Waterfront Park to explore. Little Italy is just up the street from there and has some delicious restaurants as well. You can also tour the Star of India or if you walk a couple blocks south, you can tour the U.S.S. Midway. There's a fantastic side park next to the midway with a bunch of different memorials to our servicemen and women, as well as the giant sculpture of the sailor kissing the nurse in Time's Square at the end of WWII. It's called the "Embracing Peace" statue.

If you continue south that way, you can walk to Seaport Village, the marina, and the Convention Center. If you want to hit an infamous movie spot, the Kansas City BBQ is across from Seaport Village. If you've seen Top Gun, that is the place Maverick and company sang "You've Lost That Loving Feeling". I've never eaten there, so I can't say how good it is.

You may also like visiting Coronado, which has a lovely beach, fancy houses, and is home to one of the inspirations for Disney World's Grand Floridian, the Hotel Del Coronado (or Hotel Del, as we locals call it). You can get there one of two ways, but the quickest would be using the Coronado Bridge, which is the giant arching blue thing that stretches over the bay from downtown to Coronado.

And a few other suggestions for around here:
  • If you like baseball, Petco Park is a trolley ride away, next to the convention center. The Padres play there. You'll have to check their schedule to see who they're playing but it might be a team you want to see.
  • Point Loma's Cabrillo National Monument and Liberty Station. The Old Point Loma Lighthouse is open to visitors at Cabrillo and there are some breathtaking views of the Pacific. Liberty Station isn't too far from there and houses some great restaurants.
  • If you're up for exploring more of San Diego county rather than just the city (and you have a rented car), Del Mar is worth a visit, as is making the drive to the mountains to see Julian or visit the observatory at Palomar Mountain. If you'd like a taste of the Old West, there's Old Poway Park in Poway or Old Town (which is touristy but it's also fun and has some museums there). Head to the glider port in Torrey Pines to watch people take off and hang glide over the beach. There are also hot air balloon rides, if you're feeling adventurous. Torrey Pines also has some great trails. And if trails are your thing, you should definitely hike to Potato Chip rock. For those with hiking experience and who like a challenge, you should take the Lake Poway trail up. For those who aren't interested in an 8-mile round trip hike, use the Ramona side trail. And you'll want to take your picture once you're up there to prove you've done it.
  • For Mexican food, Lucha Libre is supposed to be fantastic. I've never been, but every time I've driven by there, there is always a line out the door. El Indio is supposed to also have terrific Mexican food and is just a block away from Lucha Libre. My favorite place in that same area though is Shakespeare's Pub. It's an English pub owned and operated by ex-pats. They also operate a little shop around the corner that sells a bunch of British goods, from food and drink to dvds and teapots. We always hit it up afterward to stock up on our British candy and crisps. Then there's Hillcrest which is home to a lot of delicious restaurants, like Snooze, Hash House-A-Go-Go, and Bronx Pizza. For sweet stuff, you might want to hit up Extraordinary Desserts in the evening and Donut Bar in the morning. But you have to get to Donut Bar early because they sell out quickly and once they're out, they close for the day.
  • San Diego is the nation's hotbed for microbreweries. If you like beer and are interested in taking a tour, many local breweries offer them.

And while I can't speak of the buses, we love the trolley. It's easy, convenient, and not that expensive. Definitely make sure to purchase your pass though; they check often to make sure you've paid to use it.

Hope that helps!
This is awesome info! So much to choose from. Thank you very much!

We always stay at the travel lodge I beileive when we fly out if SD. It's right across from the ocean but it's not talk so you would likely not be able to see the ship come in. I would highly suggest the zoo. There is nothing like it. Oh and i second the in n out.

Totally off topic but since I'm excited when your in Cabo there is this potato bar near Cabo wabo that is AMAZING.

Disneyland is only a few hours away....

But yes, The Zoo and balboa park are fun to visit

For food:

Mexican - Old Town is a good place to explore and eat.

BBQ: Phil's - do not eat at Kansas City BBQ. Just check the reviews.

I would also suggest Karl Strauss brewery or Stone brewery as a fun place to eat too.

Not the OP, but thanks for the info.
This is awesome info! So much to choose from. Thank you very much!

You're welcome! :)

A few other ideas came to me as well. I'd like to echo both Legoland (especially for young kids or really big Lego fans) and Karl Strauss Brewery or Stone Brewery as options. If you were visiting a little later in the month, Aquatica Water Park would be a fun option but they won't open until mid-May. And as mamaburrito said, Disneyland is only an hour and a half to two hours away. You can easily take the train from downtown up to Anaheim and get off at Angel Stadium. From there it's a short taxi or Uber ride to Disneyland.

Another thing you might want to consider is checking ticketmaster and some of our local concert venues (House of Blues, SDSU OAT, Mattress Firm Amphitheater, Belly Up Tavern, etc.) to see if there are any musical acts that you might want to see while you're here. Or if you'd rather take in a musical/play, Jersey Boys will be on stage at the San Diego Civic Theatre during the time you're here (which I estimated from your countdown).

There's also the Flower Fields in Carlsbad. Their season ends May 14. Or if you're into tours, SEAL tours offers a land/sea one on their amphibious vehicles. If you'd rather something spooky, there are also a couple of different ghost tours that operate out of Old Town. And the Whaley House is supposed to be one of the most haunted buildings in America.

BBQ: Phil's - do not eat at Kansas City BBQ. Just check the reviews.

Yeah, I know a lot of people love Phil's BBQ, but I'm personally not a fan. I can't describe why, I'm just not. As for Kansas City BBQ, you can still get the Top Gun feel from it without having to actually enter. The place has memorabilia all over it, both inside and out. It just shakes down to what you want to do. :)

I agree to a point, yes you do need a rental car if you are going above the 8 freeway but I actually commute on the bus system and it is actually not that bad, but San Diego is such a spread out city which makes it difficult to plan proper transit routes. SD Zoo has two buses that go to it (1 Rapid and 1 Local) and they run super frequent. Rental cars are pretty nice but Uber can get pretty pricey depending on where you are going

You're welcome! :)

A few other ideas came to me as well. I'd like to echo both Legoland (especially for young kids or really big Lego fans) and Karl Strauss Brewery or Stone Brewery as options. If you were visiting a little later in the month, Aquatica Water Park would be a fun option but they won't open until mid-May. And as mamaburrito said, Disneyland is only an hour and a half to two hours away. You can easily take the train from downtown up to Anaheim and get off at Angel Stadium. From there it's a short taxi or Uber ride to Disneyland.

Another thing you might want to consider is checking ticketmaster and some of our local concert venues (House of Blues, SDSU OAT, Mattress Firm Amphitheater, Belly Up Tavern, etc.) to see if there are any musical acts that you might want to see while you're here. Or if you'd rather take in a musical/play, Jersey Boys will be on stage at the San Diego Civic Theatre during the time you're here (which I estimated from your countdown).

There's also the Flower Fields in Carlsbad. Their season ends May 14. Or if you're into tours, SEAL tours offers a land/sea one on their amphibious vehicles. If you'd rather something spooky, there are also a couple of different ghost tours that operate out of Old Town. And the Whaley House is supposed to be one of the most haunted buildings in America.

Yeah, I know a lot of people love Phil's BBQ, but I'm personally not a fan. I can't describe why, I'm just not. As for Kansas City BBQ, you can still get the Top Gun feel from it without having to actually enter. The place has memorabilia all over it, both inside and out. It just shakes down to what you want to do. :)

I recommend seeing the Botanical garden if you like seeing plants including native SD plants, but you will need a rental car to get there as it is in Encinitas. I also like the Safari Park which is pretty cool. Safari Park will require a rental car as NCTD is a pretty terrible system minus the Coaster and Sprinter. ART also serves the Anaheim train station to Disneyland. Phil's is not really real BBQ, as I hear they bake their bbq and then finish it off on the grill. I live near a Phil's BBQ in the northern suburbs but there are a lot of nice BBQ places including BBQ boss (BBQ truck on Front street that is really cheap) on weekdays. I also think Coops BBQ is pretty good as well and that is real TX BBQ where you do not need sauce. Las Cuatro Milpas from Monday-Saturday from 8:30-3:00 PM (Weekdays) and 6:30-3:00 PM on Saturdays is pretty tasty and I think it is my favorite mexican restaurant of all time. Never tried KC BBQ, but I should go there some day. Maybe when I go to Comic con, I might try it. If you like Beer and Wine there are tons of really cool vineyards including an urban one downtown. Urban breweries and Wines are the big thing these days, but there are some nice wineries in and around the Safari Park and Ramona. Julian has their Apple Pie which is legendary, but not good if you are trying to keep a healthy lifestyle.

Hornblower and Flagship day cruises are fun too, but I have only done the Brunch cruise which is tasty but expensive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter