San Angel Inn Review....Thumbs UP!!!!

2mickeys1minnie

<font color=red>we've turned into that same crazy
We had ADR's for San Angel Inn on 8/26. I actually tried to cancel them after reading so many bad reviews here but everything else was booked solid so I decided to take a chance and keep our ressie. I am so glad I did! The food was delicious!! I was really expecting it to be horrible but much to our surprise we loved it! The service was fantastic - in fact it couldn't have been any better. Our waiter was wonderful. I wasn't really crazy about the items they have on the menu so I asked if they could make me enchiladas. He said absolutely and told me they could make whatever I wanted:)So...I ordered chicken & cheese enchiladas with refried beans and rice on the side. It was delicious!! DH loved his meal as well. I thought I'd post it and let everyone know:) keep those ressies!! I should mention that we are from NY and are used to authentic mexican food...not TexMex...also I had heard that the tables were really close together - DH and I both felt they were no closer together than any mexican restaurant that we visit here at home...in fact there was probably more room here.:goodvibes

Glad to hear you enjoyed it! We loved it last year and we have an ADR for our upcoming trip! I can't wait! :thumbsup2

Terrific news! I think part of the reason why it gets such mediocre/bad reviews is that it doesn't measure up to Tex-Mex standards from the U.S.(BTW-love that stuff). The fact that they will make what you want might make a big difference to many here. Thanks for the report.:earsboy:

We had eaten at San Angel a few times years ago, and had always had good food/service. We took a break after reading some negative reviews. During our two week visit this summer, my DD requested to eat there - she liked looking at the "boats" go by. So me, DD, and my mom tried it and really had a great lunch!!! Food and service were wonderful, and we'd definitely go back again!!!

Thanks for your review! My DW and I have an ADR for our upcoming December trip. We almost dined there in 1989 with our kids. This will be our first time and we are now "empty nesters" so it will be a lot less expensive. ;)

Thanks for posting this! My mom and I have ADR's coming up next week and I was a little nervous after the so-so reviews I've read on here. I booked anyway because I love Mexican food, it's something different, and we've always wanted to sit and watch the boats go by. We mention it EVERY time we ride El Rio del Tiempo!

:cool1:

Glad you enjoyed it; it has long been a favorite of ours, and one of the only places we try and make a stop at each trip (AKL for Jiko/Boma being the other). I'll be eating there in a few weeks myself!

We always eat at San Angel every trip. But the last few times have been not so great. I told DW about you ordering not from the menu. This has sparked our interest in eating there again, in hopes it will live up to the good ol days when we really enjoyed it. Thanks for the review!

Thank you so much for the review. We have almost canceled this many times. We will be there soon - I'll post our experience too!

Its always been one of our favorites! We have 7:00pm ressies on Sunday, Dec. 16th and can't wait. We always request to sit by the water, its relaxing and romantic :love: ...even if there are fifty kids around, including our own, but our kids love the place too! Our kids enjoy waving at people riding by on "Gran Fiesta Tour Starring the Three Caballeros" the ride formerly known as "El Rio del Tiempo". ;)

You know, I'm really glad you posted this!! I too have been debating keeping my ressie. I only booked it based on what I remember of the ambience from back in my teenage years. I knew FH and I would have a romantic time there. But after seeing the food options, my picky eater probably wouldn't enjoy it so much - and honestly didn't see anything that appealed to me either! Your food choice sounds exactly what I'd want, so I'll be ordering that for myself. And since I know it's pretty customizable, I don't have any fears about FH finding anything for himself either! Thanks a bunch!!

Hey, I have read reviews stating that the chips and salsa were pretty crummy - like chips out of a bag or something, not freshly made. What did you think of the chips and salsa? Pretty much to me, if the chips and salsa are bad the whole thing's gonna suck. Love my chips and salsa! LOL. Any thoughts?

thanks for posting! I was also nervous about eating here because so many people said it was terrible, but we were keeping our ressie's anyway....we'll be eating there for the first time opn our October trip and I am very happy to hear that it is a good place to eat!!

Honestly, it is not the best WDW restaurant, but it is good and the atmosphere can not be beat. I had the chicken mole and enjoyed it....the chocolate chicken dish? and my husband had the sampler meal which he enjoyed. We also got an appetizer which was good, I think the nachos. We have four teens and a toddler and our teens went around the countries with their little sister so we could have time to ourselves to eat a romantic dinner and spend time together as a couple in the different countries. We where too full for dessert, but did later have pastries and coffee in France and it was the bomb!:thumbsup2

As far as the chips and salsa go.....I was all ready for the tostitos everyone talked about...and I didn't think they tasted like tostitos at all. I will say that they didn't taste exactly like the fresh baked ones we get here either but I didn't eat that many because our appetizers came so quickly. I would say the chips were just ok...not bad but ok. As an appetizer I got the Ceviche and DH got the nachos which he loved. The ceviche was delicous and very fresh. For dessert DH had the flan and I had just a scoop of vanilla ice cream because I was so stuffed. Much to my surprise I can say that this meal was one of my favs of the week:)

I'm glad OP enjoyed their experience, however I can honestly say for us it was the worst meal of the stay! Our server was very nice but had difficulty understanding what we were trying to order. As a result we had at least one mistake with each course. And it seemed to take forever for the replacements to show up. Also, DD ordered the steak and wanted it well-done, it came back so rare it was oozing! We asked to server to have it cooked a bit longer and she didn't bring back the entree until our desserts were being served. Overall, the food was lukewarm when served, the meat was tough, and the dessert selection did not appeal to us at all. I would never eat there again unless there were some changes to the menu.

Of course, as OP has proven...it might have been a completely different experience with a different server, on a different night!

BTW, I thought the chips & salsa were great. For us though, there were seven of us seated at the table and they only brought one basket...which they never refilled. I actually would have preferred just eating the chips/salsa and forgeting about the rest of the meal!

Also, an iced tea warning -- it comes pre-sweetened, so don't order it if you normally don't put any sweetener it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!