San Angel Inn -- Love It or Hate It?

San Angel Inn - Loved It or Hated It?

• Loved It

• Hated It

• Somewhere In Between

Results are only viewable after voting.

DisneyFamily123

Use the Force, Luke!
Please give me an honest opinion about this restaurant. Of all the restaurants, this one gets the most mixed and conflicting reviews. Even just recent reviews are "loved it, authentic Mexican food" and others say "hated it, not authentic".

I'm thinking about dining here because it seems like a fun decor for DS5 even over taking an ADR at the most hyped Le Cellier! We already plan on Biergarten and Coral Reef.

Yes you are right it gets plenty of mixed reviews.

I very much like SAI. I am not a traditional mexican food person so I wasn't sure what to expect, but I looked at the menu and picked out a couple dishes I would like....at least what was in them, so we went.

It was very good and here is why....

First a very romantic restaurant. You eat inside, but you feel as if you are on a river in Mexico. The music and atmosphere is wonderful! I have to say the little boat ride adds to the ambiance as well.

Personally I believe many people are expecting a different type of food that go there and it is why they don't like it. But I did research before I went and knew sort of what to expect. Of course they did throw in some surpises. Like the best carmel sauce anywhere I have ever tasted!!

I say if you see something on the menu that strikes you or you really want to experience the atmosphere, go and check it out yourself. That old saying someone's trash is another mans treasure comes to mind.....;)

San Angel Inn is NOT tex-mex, for SURE, and I think that's why so many people bash it; they are expecting tex-mex and not authentic Mexican cuisine. DD used to be a fairly selective eater and didn't find anything to her liking here, and they wouldn't let her order from the kid's menu (she was 12 at the time), but she ended up with the tortilla soup and enjoyed it. Now that she is 16 her palate has matured and she cannot wait to go back!

My understanding is that the chips and salsa have recently changed for the better. Old reviews will complain that the chips are bagged and the salsa from a jar. Recent reviews (including friends of mine recently back) say they are now fresh and with a pico de gallo type salsa. All that said to make sure you listen more closely to the reviews that are very recent.

It is okay. I would look at the menu first. We used to go there, but now my wife cannot find anything on the menu that she will eat. The service is okay, at best. Doesn't really measure up to Disney standards. The atmosphere is nice.

Somewhere in between, but more to the hate side. The place is noisy, loud and the tables impossibly close together. The service staff has little room to maneuver and have harried looks on the faces all the time. The food wasn't all that great either, tho the beer and drinks were pretty good.

Our family loves the atmosphere. The kids enjoyed their meals. DH and I thought the food was okay. If it wasn't in the location it is, I am not sure we would make it a priority to return. However, the kids really want to go back and the atmosphere is so relaxing in the middle of a hot day. There was nothing about it that we hated.

Another family in favor!

While "your actual mileage may vary," our experiences here have been good. We've gone for lunch (11:30), and found that it wasn't overly crowded or noisy. We do enjoy the food, which is not tex-mex (as others have mentioned) but more traditionally Mexican. Service has been good.

The other thing we love about this place (and Coral Reef) is the darkness. As strange as it may sound, the intensity of the Florida sunshine (we're from MA) gets really wearing after a while -- we don't even realize how much it's affecting us until we really get a break from it. I'm not even talking about sunburn -- I'm talking about how hard it is on your eyes (even w/ sunglasses) and how tiring it is if you're not used to it.

Anyway, we do enjoy this restaurant on all dimensions -- food, service, atmosphere.

decent food, good atmosphere.

I would say it is on the like list

Just for the record my for TS restaurants is

LOVE IT
TS
Cali Grille
Saana
LTT Breakfast ( so sad that was temporary)
50's PTC
Le Cellier
CS
Yorkshire Fish Shoppe
Flametree BBQ

Like It
TS
Yak and Yeti
San Angel
BOMA
CS
Columbia Harbor House
Most resort CS

Not going back for a while
TS
Ohana

NEVER AGAIN
CS
Cosmic Rays

everything else was forgettable meaning we will have to try it again!

I loved it! Everything was very fresh tasting.....I especially loved the fresh cheese that topped my dishes, wow, was that good! My cousin had ice cream with the homemade caramel sauce on it and it was so good he wanted to drink it. I, too, read mostly negative reviews of San Angel Inn before we went and I'm sooooo glad we didn't pay attention to them!!:goodvibes

Another in the "love it" camp. We love authentic Mexican, Tex-Mex, Cuban, Puerto Rican, Latin American and Spanish cuisines. No one in our party was disappointed when we ate there a month ago.

We all had the fish -- not the special, but the one that's always on the menu, and I'd say it was more Spanish than Mexican just by the flavors and ingredients used. But it was outstanding, cooked perfectly and was a huge portion.

Our chips and pico were made fresh. It's the same chips and pico you get in the tequila bar that's now open. And they kept refilling our pico.

The guacamole was also made fresh. It was chunky and full of nice avocado, onion & tomato and topped with cilantro microgreens. The microgreens were an exceptional touch, IMO, and very pleasing to the eye.

I believe this restaurant had a change in kitchen staff and/or management in the fall of last year. I know my friends who are local to Orlando suddenly started talking about how the entire Mexican pavilion has just morphed into a must-do at Epcot between the tequila bar and the improvement in the food quality at San Angel.

Hopefully the Cantina will have improved from what it was when it reopens. Taco Bell quality counter service, IMO, is going to drop the current Mexican Pavilion experience down several notches. I guess it used to work for chips in a bag and jarred salsa inside, but our recent experience at San Angel was rather foodie-ish.

We had high hopes, but didn't end up liking it and won't be returning soon, mostly because of the service, which was horrible. We saw our server only once or twice. The food was hit-or-miss; my fiance enjoyed his meal, but my chicken dish was very dry and rubbery. The atmosphere is great, though.

Another in the "love it" camp. We love authentic Mexican, Tex-Mex, Cuban, Puerto Rican, Latin American and Spanish cuisines. No one in our party was disappointed when we ate there a month ago.

We all had the fish -- not the special, but the one that's always on the menu, and I'd say it was more Spanish than Mexican just by the flavors and ingredients used. But it was outstanding, cooked perfectly and was a huge portion.

Our chips and pico were made fresh. It's the same chips and pico you get in the tequila bar that's now open. And they kept refilling our pico.

The guacamole was also made fresh. It was chunky and full of nice avocado, onion & tomato and topped with cilantro microgreens. The microgreens were an exceptional touch, IMO, and very pleasing to the eye.

I believe this restaurant had a change in kitchen staff and/or management in the fall of last year. I know my friends who are local to Orlando suddenly started talking about how the entire Mexican pavilion has just morphed into a must-do at Epcot between the tequila bar and the improvement in the food quality at San Angel.

Hopefully the Cantina will have improved from what it was when it reopens. Taco Bell quality counter service, IMO, is going to drop the current Mexican Pavilion experience down several notches. I guess it used to work for chips in a bag and jarred salsa inside, but our recent experience at San Angel was rather foodie-ish.

A-ha! This is what I was trying to say above--there has been a change. From this poster I now know the change came last fall sometime--which make sense from the change in reviews I am reading--and the experience of those friends I mentioned above.

PlutoLuvr,

I will make it a point to order that guacamole if we end up dining at San Angel. It sounds great!:thumbsup2

We had a good experience at San Angel Inn back in December 2009. We have some food special needs and they invited the chef out to talk to us. He created dishes for us that were not even ON the menu! The atmosphere was enjoyable, really felt like we were sitting outside in a Mexican square! We sat by the "river" and the kids enjoyed waving to the people in the boats. Overall a very positive time :)

Love the atmosphere, except for the tables being so close. Honestly, the word "close" doesn't even begin the cover it!

Food was ok. Guacamole was very, very good as were the margaritas and beer. My older 2 kids liked the soup a lot.

I have been a few times. Mostly with my husband but also as a family. We love it. You really go for the atmosphere in my opinion, but the food is not that bad. We have always left full. As with any restaurant you may have a hit or miss meal once in a while, but usually it is tasty.
The one problem I will say is how close the tables and chairs are to eachother. That can be a little tough. We had the most difficulty the year we went and my daughter was three months. We attempted to put her in the carrier on a chair and well, that didnt work out. We ended up holding her the entire meal.
Other than the closeness, the place is beautiful and it slows down the pace,and totally removes you from the hustle and bustle of disney for a little bit.
I would strongly encourage you try it and see.

Hi just wanted to mention to check the refurbishment schedule because the San Angel Inn is going to be closed for a few months. NOt sure when you are going to Disney but I didn't want you to get disappointed if you decided to go.

On a side note I ate here in July of 2009 and was very disappointed. Food is not good.

Hi just wanted to mention to check the refurbishment schedule because the San Angel Inn is going to be closed for a few months. NOt sure when you are going to Disney but I didn't want you to get disappointed if you decided to go.

On a side note I ate here in July of 2009 and was very disappointed. Food is not good.

It's the counter service location (Cantina de San Angel) that is closed, not San Angel Inn. I've got reservations there in May.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter