Sample toothpaste from the torturer(aka dentist)

kdonnel

DVC-BCV
I was cleaning up a couple months ago and came across all the sample packs we have been given by our torturer as a reward for biannual cleanings. As a family we have always used the tooth brushes and floss relatively quickly but always "saved" the toothpaste for travel.

It occurred to me that we had way more saved for travel then we would ever be able to use so I decided we should just use the toothpaste instead of buying some to replace the toothpaste tube that was on it's last gasps.

At our rate of consumption we should not have to buy toothpaste for two years.

Why didn't we as a family do this sooner?

We love Colgate! We seem to never have any available when we travel, I think the kids grab them for overnights. We all go to the dentist every 6 months, my kids love going.

Our dentist only gives samples of Colgate, which tastes disgusting, so we just pitch it.

Do the earth a favor, give the landfill a break and help out some people with one shot -- donate them. I give them every year when our church hosts a rotating emergency shelter for a week. Several of us do the same and it really seems appreciated by our guests.

I never use the samples they give.
I have a particular toothpaste that I've been using for about half my life now and I will not stray.
I just buy a travel size in that one for Disney.

I have an electric toothbrush at home but keep a kit in my desk. I have my choices of many of the more expensive toothpaste samples and we do use them when we travel, in my kit I keep in my desk and when DD9 goes to sleepovers or Girl Guide camp.

Or just tell your dentist you don't need the samples. We use a Sonicare electric toothbrush and kept getting brushes from our dentist. After a few years, we just told him we didn't want any more brushes. They were fine with that.

We do use the sample toothpaste and floss whenever we travel.

Our dentist gives samples of the toothpaste we already use. I keep most of them either in case we run out or for travel, one in my work bag, and DH keeps one at work.

If we don't use them for whatever reason, I donate them first chance I get.

I donate the brushes as I have an electric one. But I do save the small toothpaste tubes and floss for traveling, since otherwise I would be purchasing them anyway.

Does anyone know, do the dentists pay for those items, or are they samples given by the manufacturer, hoping they will lead to your buying their products?

I use them for travel or if I for some reason forget to buy a new tube and run out, but I don't have that many saved up. I use the toothbrushes for travel too as I don't like to bring my bulky, electric one.

I donate the brushes as I have an electric one. But I do save the small toothpaste tubes and floss for traveling, since otherwise I would be purchasing them anyway.

Does anyone know, do the dentists pay for those items, or are they samples given by the manufacturer, hoping they will lead to your buying their products?
I don't know but I would guess that the torturer does not pay for them. I think there is probably a chance that not only are they given to the torturer but that the torture might be paid to distribute them.

You are dead wrong. Your dentist pays a hefty price for patient samples.
Really?

Seems like a perfect opportunity for Oral-B, Crest, etc. to provide products.

This site seems to indicate a dental professional can request free patient samples for several brands of toothpaste.
https://dental-professional.com/

Seems the little bottles of listerine are provide free as well
https://www.listerineprofessional.com/
But maybe they only send out a few samples because they also sell by the case.

Doing some quick math it looks like they pay about $0.60 a brush. A significant savings over the $3.92 Wal-Mart charges for the same brush.

So the goody bag probably costs them about $3 - $4 per patient. A fee built into the cost of the torturing.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter