Sample Letter to Guest Services From Pediatrician?

Disneylvr

Always Disney Dreaming!
Does anyone have a sample letter I could give to our pediatrician to help her write our letter to Guest Services for our April trip? I have to fill in our family medical leave papers every year for her as she is clueless as what to write??!! Our daughter has autism and her needs would include a separate, non-crowded waiting area and the use of a stroller as a wheelchair. Please PM me!

If you can express your daughter's needs without the letter, as you have done here, there is no need to have one. Guest Services do not need a letter or proof of disability to give the Guest Assistance Card (GAC); in fact, it is illegal for them to ask for it! The only reason some people have a letter is to better explain their, or their child's, needs. As you can explain her needs better than her doctor, no note is needed!

If you want any more information on the GAC, look at the FAQ thread, which is a sticky near the top of this board.

Have a great trip! :goodvibes

Now see, that is what I thought! But I am a librarian and a patron I spoke to this morning said she just got back from a holiday trip to Disney and they asked her for a letter??!! I didn't think they could do that! We didn't need one in 2006.

It's probably that she had a letter and handed it over to them. Because they took it, she assumed that she needed it. People sometimes get their wires crossed. They definitely shouldn't ask you for a letter, and if they do, politely ask to speak to the manager, and straighten things out with him or her.

Some people make a business card or 3 X 5 postcard explaining the needs of the party's members. I have memory problems so if I were to go to some place like WDW then I would definely make a card to hand out so I do not forget. The card also is more private and easier sometimes.

While I know they don't need it, and that they can't ask for it, I think having a doc's letter is a good idea for a whole host of reasons ranging from helping Disney weed out fraud to making the conversation easier and quicker to preventing you from having to verbalize information about your child in a relatively public setting (and possibly in her presence). Our letter basically said "To Whom it May Concern, so and so had diagnosis x, y, and z. Any accommodations you can make to help prevent his prolonged exposure to large crowds and extended waits will be greatly appreciated." Then the doc signed it and wrote his state license number. It was also on letterhead. It was very short and he just hand-wrote it in about 2 minutes at the end of an appointment.

If you're already getting letters from her, it can't hurt to get that one too. Just my $0.02, for what it's worth. YMMV, etc. :flower3:

Cate

Now see, that is what I thought! But I am a librarian and a patron I spoke to this morning said she just got back from a holiday trip to Disney and they asked her for a letter??!! I didn't think they could do that! We didn't need one in 2006.
They can't do.
The ADA (American with Disabilities Act) says that proof a disability can't be required in order to provide accomodation for a disability.
Some people do feel better about asking for a GAC if they do have a letter from the doctor, especially for invisible disabilities. It is your choice of whether or not you bring one.
And, as some people posted, many people have posted in the past that they wrote a little reminder sheet for themselves and either read it or handed it to the CM to read.
It's probably that she had a letter and handed it over to them. Because they took it, she assumed that she needed it. People sometimes get their wires crossed. They definitely shouldn't ask you for a letter, and if they do, politely ask to speak to the manager, and straighten things out with him or her.
I'm sure that happens.

If you choose to take a letter, OMHO, it should specifically state what the problems/needs are. The diagnosis is not important, partly because the CMs don't need that, partly because the CMs are not medical people and may not know what the diagnoses mean and partly because different people with the same diagnosis can have very different needs.

I know that formats stating the diagnosis and asking for "any available accomodations" have been on different internet sites as a 'suggested letter format' to request a GAC.
The problem with the format is that it really doesn't tell what the person needs; "any accomodations" doesn't really give the CMs much assistance in figuring out the needs. I have been in Guest Relations when the CM has been trying to question someone on what might be helpful/what the needs were. The parents were getting frustrated and just kept saying "we HAVE a letter from the doctor. We need what he wrote." The CM was getting frustrated because she needed some guidance from them on what the child's problems were so she could figure out what accomodations would be helpful.
I have heard the same conversation quite a few times and CMs have written me to tell me how frustrating it is for them. They want to help, but don't have enough information to be helpful.
So, my suggestion is if you want to bring a doctor's note, make sure it talks about the specific needs the person has, not just the diagnosis and blanket statements.

While I know they don't need it, and that they can't ask for it, I think having a doc's letter is a good idea for a whole host of reasons ranging from helping Disney weed out fraud to making the conversation easier and quicker to preventing you from having to verbalize information about your child in a relatively public setting (and possibly in her presence). Our letter basically said "To Whom it May Concern, so and so had diagnosis x, y, and z. Any accommodations you can make to help prevent his prolonged exposure to large crowds and extended waits will be greatly appreciated." Then the doc signed it and wrote his state license number. It was also on letterhead. It was very short and he just hand-wrote it in about 2 minutes at the end of an appointment.

If you're already getting letters from her, it can't hurt to get that one too. Just my $0.02, for what it's worth. YMMV, etc. :flower3:

Cate
I am sorry but the letter you state is, unfortunately, worse than useless.

First of all, a diagnoses does no good. Most of the Guest Relations people will not understand medical terminology. Also, you can have ten people all with the same diagnoses and all of their needs are different.

Second, a GAC is not intended to reduce the amount of time of a wait.

And, third, for most of the year there will be large crowds and it will be very difficult to wait away from crowds.

And having a letter will not work to weed out fraud. If I were working at GRO and you came to me with a letter signed by Dr. A.E. Neuman with a license number on it I would have no way of knowing if it were real, if A.E. Neuman was a doctor, or even if the number was a valid license number in your state.

What you can is have something written out which you can hand to the GRO CM that says "because of medical conditions little Timmy needs the following accommodations so he can have the same degree of access and enjoyment as a person without his conditions" and list what the needs are.

I hate to say this, but I hope you are not counting on that non-crowded, seperate waiting area. I do not think many rides or attractions have such an accomodation. The attraction MOST in need of something changed is the Nemo show at AK. What a nightmare, waiting in the hot August direct sun, for such a wonderful show.

I have 2 special needs kids, I am not unsympathetic. I completely understand where you are coming from! (One child has Downs and autistism, uses wheel chair at WDW, the other has Jvenile Dermatomyotisis, and is weak and needs to be out of the sun when possible)

We used a GAC in 2006 and we are aware of the accomodations that can and were provided then for our daughter as far as avoiding the most crowded lines and waiting areas and I assure you they were most appropriate for her needs. I am just not allowed to post here what the actual accomodations were. :) If an attraction does not have a seperate waiting area we simply wait for it to have a short line or skip it. We have no choice because waiting in a crowded line or room would not be a pleasant experience for us or for the guests around her. Her behaviors in line could include touching people inappropriately (she loves to stroke people's butts!!!), take things out of their purses or souvenior bags, struggling and trying to run away from us, loud verbal stims and huge tantrums and possibly violent if we try to correct these behaviors. She is no longer 3 and is 5 and people aren't as understanding about these behaviors because she is "too old" to be acting like that in their eyes. We are trying to work on behavior modifications in crowdes but it is hard to recreate the atmosphere at Disney World. We had a not so pleasant experience at Silver Dollar City theme park in November and we will not be back during crowded times.

My son is 18 and still has behavior like you described at times. I sure do understand. We are sort of lucky because he is fixated on WDW and for the most part acts better there than other places. (for example, lately has had to be carried out to his bus by 4 adults, for some reason he is resisting coming home!)

It is good you understand the GAC process well. We just asked for the proper stamps and were quickly on our way to an enjoyable WDW trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter