Salt and Straw

Discussion in 'Disneyland (California)' started by gerilyne, Oct 13, 2018.

1. gerilyne

gerilyne DIS Veteran

Walking back this afternoon for our mid day break and saw Salt and Straw was open. There was a line but it wasn't crazy.

2. midnight star

midnight star DIS Veteran

I went this afternoon. The line was about 20 minutes. I went to the one in Portland and that was much longer..

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. dina444444

dina444444 DIS Veteran

I have a feeling ours will have a long line going forward. It was only announced that it was opening today earlier this week.

5. StormyCA

StormyCA Chief Troublemaker

So.....any one eaten there yet?

6. midnight star

Yes I went before getting in line for the Halloween party yesterday. I got the one with cookie dough. It was pretty good! It’s expensive, but all the locations are. I waited about 20 minutes.

ButterflyKisses77 and StormyCA like this.
  7. FoodieFriend

FoodieFriend DisneyFan

Any discounts offered? AP? DVC? Disney Visa? I can't wait to try it in 10 days!!!

8. dina444444

dina444444 DIS Veteran

According to the Disney website they will be offering a 10% AP discount which is line with other non Disney owned retailers in Downtown Disney.

9. StormyCA

Nice! I'll have to google to see if they do anything gluten free.

10. StormyCA

OMG!! They have a GLUTEN FREE cookies and cream!!! I'm stoked!

And it looks as if they do annotate their offerings.

11. midnight star

yes! I got the 10% AP discount

12. millie0312

millie0312 DIS Veteran

I can’t wait to check this out! Sounds like a fun place to try

13. lwanthony

lwanthony Music Man

Been going to Salt and Straw for years here in Portland, they are actually a client of mine..... If you are into interesting ice cream flavors that are a must try!!!!!! The wait here in Portland during nice weather can be over an hour easily.

I'll be back to D in December and if the weather is nice I will be giving this location a try for sure!!!!!

-Lane

14. DLgal

DLgal DIS Veteran

Some of these flavors sound truly disgusting, like the olive brittle one. Looking forward to trying the caramel, chocolate brownie and cookie dough flavors, though.

15. Erin M

Erin M Mouseketeer

Agree with you on this one, but I will say they caught me off guard once and had me try their Olive Oil flavor with a raspberry sorbet and it rocked my world. We live in Portland and can go anytime, but I usually just go get pie across the street because I'm not enough of a foodie to really appreciate what they are doing. That said, if they ever do the Strawberry Rhubarb Pie flavor down there, run don't walk. It was amazing!

auntiegem likes this.
  16. DLgal

DLgal DIS Veteran

I've had olive oil ice cream (and olive oil cake is amazing too!), but olive oil is SO different than actual olives. I just can't imagine how that ice cream can even be palatable, much less good. What makes if even grosser is the combination of olives and goat cheese. Dear God...that's just the two worst flavors I can imagine for an ice cream.

goooof1 likes this.
  17. auntiegem

auntiegem Mouseketeer

Often goat cheese in ice cream just ends up making it taste stronger. It is still dairy, so it’s not 100% out of place. Not saying that you’d like it even so, obviously!

18. auntiegem

auntiegem Mouseketeer

Their flavors are often strange seeming, but don’t discount them without trying a sample. I live in the Portland area, so I frequently try the weird stuff and often like it. Somehow the flavors meld together and things like olive brittle end up being good. I won’t eat the bugs, though!

19. theluckyrabbit

theluckyrabbit Moderator Moderator

This location is generous with the samples, so give the flavors a try before deciding for sure that something isn't for you. If you try it and hate it, then go ahead and cross that baby off your list!

StarlitNight05 likes this.
  20. cmpeter

cmpeter DIS Veteran

We’ve got one in Seattle and I’m not really a fan. I’ve tried a regular flavor (caramel sea salt) and a unique one (something with cheese in it). I really wanted to like them too.

21. theluckyrabbit

theluckyrabbit Moderator Moderator

Judging by MousePlanet's recent review, this location takes allergies very seriously (yay!). The reviewer was asked about any allergies (she said each customer is asked), then upon hearing her answer, the server got a fresh scooper and a new container of the reviewer's chosen flavor to prevent any cross contamination. That never happened at Haagen Dazs!