Salmon Fishing in Ketchikan - any recommendations or reviews?

LC30

DIS Veteran
Hello! My DH is interested in taking my DS on a salmon fishing excursion. Can anyone share their experience or recommend an excursion in Ketchikan? As my DH says, I'd be a fool if I made it all the way to Alaska and didn't go fishing! :)

Thank you for any insights!

I'm not sure about Ketchikan, but we are planning on using Rum Runners out of Juneau in 2017. I've seen nothing but rave reviews on this and other boards about them. We are going to do the fishing / photo safari which combines whale watching with fishing.

Hi:

My son and I went fishing in Ketchikan through the DCL excursion. I don't know how intense of a fisherman your husband is, but I do a LOT of saltwater fishing and found this was great. I will note for you, though, that we went in July and after getting badly skunked on salmon trips on my honeymoon years ago, we decided to go Halibut fishing. We caught three Halibut on the boat and two of them were ours. We had them frozen and sent home and fed the whole neighborhood for a month. My (then) 9 year old son loved it.

So, for what it's worth, I personally have had much more luck with bottom fishing than Salmon. I'm sure this thread will now be bombarded with pictures of people who caught buckets of Salmon :).

Another suggestion for you is that I know a VERY good guide who winters in the keys but summers most years at Yes Bay Lodge near Ketchikan. My family has fished with him regularly and he is great with kids and in general a fabulous fisherman. I think the lodge will arrange transportation but am not sure.

If you or your DH would like more information, please feel free to PM me.

WJS3

We were too early for salmon fishing in Ketchikan late May last year on our Disney cruise, but were able to go out for halibut and cod. We booked a private charter w/Captain Clayton Moore of Bella Misty Fishing Charters.

Here's my DH's initial post from our cruisemeet thread:

If you like to fish and want to experience some of the best fishing around then consider joining us for a 6 hour Halibut fishing charter out of Ketchikan with Bella Misty Fishing Charters. Our group consists of Poison Ivy (beginner), our son Iron Man (intermediate) and myself (old) and can handle up to 6 people with a minimum of 4.

We are contracting directly with Bella Misty and are looking for at least 1 more "angler" but welcome up to 3. The cost is $225.00/person to fish +$20.00 ea. for a license. If you want to ship your catch home they offer processing and shipping at an extra cost.

Check out their website below. Click on the dropdown menu, to "boat" and watch the video. The "West Cape" is a custom 33' Pilothouse Yacht with a heated cabin and private bathroom and has all the latest electronic gear. They provide all tackle and rain gear and include a box lunch and beverages.

www.ketchikan-fishing-charters.com

I have already reserved this with a deposit and we have a confirmed charter. We will be the first group off the Wonder as soon as she docks which could be earlier than the scheduled 11:15am and be met by Captain Clayton Moore for a five minute walk to the West Cape. The day will consist of a one hour ride each way to the fishing grounds and approx. 4hrs of fishing.

So if this sounds like something you wanted to do (bucket list), then come join us for a good time.

We wound up as a party of 5 with fellow Dis'ers JimmyL47 and his DW.

I Highly recommend Capt. Moore and his boat the West Cape.

We were picked up at the dock right by the Disney Wonder.

Great boat. Beautiful crystal blue waters. Fantastic experience! I was a beginner and loved every minute of it.

Our catch of the day - 2 Halibut / 5 Cod / 3 Rockfish and 1 Yelloweye rockfish

I have lots more photos of this experience including the boat and our entire day plus a walk around creek street in town if you want to see more!!

Thank you guys for sharing. Poison ivy, looks like you guys did great! I'll check them out. WJS3, did you know the fishing company DCL assigned you to prior to getting off the ship that day?

Sorry, just saw your reply-

No, we did not, just went with the excursion-assigned company and followed the guy with the Simba sign until we got to the dock! We were at the same dock that Poison Ivy's boat was, so it's quite close either way.

You'll want your DH to note that both replies to this request have suggested bottom fishing! He'll want to research what's biting and adjust!

Best of luck!

WJS3

Sorry, just saw your reply-

No, we did not, just went with the excursion-assigned company and followed the guy with the Simba sign until we got to the dock! We were at the same dock that Poison Ivy's boat was, so it's quite close either way.

You'll want your DH to note that both replies to this request have suggested bottom fishing! He'll want to research what's biting and adjust!

Best of luck!

WJS3
Thank you!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter