Sailing out of NYC? Tolls!

darnheather

DIS Veteran
Google maps told me there would be tolls but the tolls I'm used to are 80 cents or maybe a $1.20. There are many toll roads in Maryland, New Jersey, and New York and the tolls are very expensive. I paid $14 and $20! I also paid $4 twice. None of the roads have credit card booths either. I had to borrow cash from my daughter as I had given my extra to our servers (we came home a different way than we went).

Welcome to the Northeast!

Hint: E-Z Pass is your friend.

Edited to add - I realize it may not be practical for those who live outside of the E-Z Pass area to acquire a transponder and set up an account for a one time trip, but if you think you will be making multiple trips to the area, it is so much easier (and often cheaper - I know in PA E-Z Pass customers pay less than cash prices).

It is also incredibly fun to fly past all of the cars sitting in the cash lines :rotfl2::cool1:

Welcome to the Northeast!

Hint: E-Z Pass is your friend.

Edited to add - I realize it may not be practical for those who live outside of the E-Z Pass area to acquire a transponder and set up an account for a one time trip, but if you think you will be making multiple trips to the area, it is so much easier (and often cheaper - I know in PA E-Z Pass customers pay less than cash prices).

It is also incredibly fun to fly past all of the cars sitting in the cash lines :rotfl2::cool1:

What I don't understand is why they can't make it in app form. Scan and go.

What I don't understand is why they can't make it in app form. Scan and go.

Heck, the parking meters in our dinky little small town even have a smartphone app (though it doesn't always work very well). You'd think the toll road systems could work something out!

I read in the paper that at least on the PA Turnpike the plan is to eventually do away with the cash booths and start mailing toll bills for cars without E-Z Pass based on pictures taken from license plates. Not sure how well that's going to work (doesn't seem like an efficient plan to me, but what do I know??), but I believe they have a few test areas where they have already implemented it.

The George Washington Bridge toll is $15.00 cash price. EZ pass is $12.50 I think. Same with Holland and Lincoln Tunnels. Yes, getting into Manhattan is expensive.

MJ

My EZ Pass transponder failed & I didn't notice for a week or so. When I called to try to resolve any fines, I found out that they'd auto-charged my account with no extra charge. How awesome is that!

We drove up from MD last year for a NYC cruise. We borrowed a friends EZ pass ( they added our car to their plan) and I think we paid over $50 for the round trip.... yup, not cheap!

Massachusetts got rid of all their toll booths last year. EZ pass or the camera mails the bill to your address. I have EZ pass, so I don't know if it is more expensive by mail, nor if they mail it every time or once a month. Does anyone know? I can also tell you that you can get EZ pass transponders by mail from a number of states, so if you wanted to get one, even for occasional travel in the North East, you can get one, and they it is ready to go whenever you need it.

Massachusetts got rid of all their toll booths last year. EZ pass or the camera mails the bill to your address. I have EZ pass, so I don't know if it is more expensive by mail, nor if they mail it every time or once a month. Does anyone know? I can also tell you that you can get EZ pass transponders by mail from a number of states, so if you wanted to get one, even for occasional travel in the North East, you can get one, and they it is ready to go whenever you need it.

My understanding is that there are three toll levels in MA... cheapest is an MA issued EZpass, then an EZ pass from another state, then the most expensive is if they have to mail it to you. We had moved to MA from NY but kept our EZpass. Once they made the change, we changed our EZ passes. It adds up!

Oh yeah. It's a King's Ransom for me to drive from my home in Maryland back home to NY for all of our family events. EZ Pass/SunPass/Whateverelectronicpass for your state usually works just fine.

At least MD still takes cash money at most places but I totally dig the Express toll lanes. MUCH better.

They take almost forever to mail me the toll bill when I drive up to MA to visit family. I literally get the bill for a trip a month and a half to two months after making it. I'm under the impression the toll takers whose jobs disappeared were all moved to a warehouse somewhere in NJ, where they manually handle all the toll processing and mailings to the non EZ pass crowd. Unbelievable float given how slow they are, which pretty much makes up for the higher toll charged for the mailed ones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter