Safe treats onboard for kids with nut allergies?

I 2nd that....Thanks so much for that info.

On another note WHY OH WHY WOULD THEY GET RID OF THE EARS ON THE MICKEY BARS????? :scared1::scared1::scared1:

On another note WHY OH WHY WOULD THEY GET RID OF THE EARS ON THE MICKEY BARS????? :scared1::scared1::scared1:

I'm not certain on this at all so maybe someone else can chime in, but perhaps they do still have the Mickey-shaped bars on cruises leaving from FL, but just not in the Mediterranean... ?

I hadn't thought of that. :banana:

The only reason I am making a guess is because on other threads here I have seen people mention that certain food products are not made on the ship but require a local supplier. Something specialized like that might not be available overseas... we'll cross our fingers that they have the Mickey bars when we both travel AND that they are safe at that time! :)

Maybe that's the reason - they still called them Mickey Bars but without the ears.....to a child, they weren't the same. He's not a fan of waffles either, but when he sees the Mickey shaped ones at breakfast he has me order them for him!

The only reason I am making a guess is because on other threads here I have seen people mention that certain food products are not made on the ship but require a local supplier. Something specialized like that might not be available overseas... we'll cross our fingers that they have the Mickey bars when we both travel AND that they are safe at that time! :)

It sounds right. The only other thing I could think of is that they have those as back ups in case they run out of the ear ones. But I think your theory makes more sense. :rotfl:

Does anyone know if real refrigerators will be standard on the Dream? I know you can get them if you have a medical reason but I'm hoping they become a standard thing.

I have a daughter that is allergic to peanuts and tree nuts. We've sailed twice and they were great, but it has been awhile.

I will be devastated myself if the ice cream bars aren't Mickey shaped anymore! That is what she had for dessert every night! I agree, it won't be the same if it looks like a normal ice cream bar.

I'm excited to hear they have Divvies on board. So you can order this from room service?!? That is so wonderful. What all did they have? The cookies? The brownies?

She had the soft serve ice cream onboard. I'm shocked that that might not be safe anymore. Anymore info on that? Was this just on CC?

Next cruise she will be going into the new tween club and will be able to check herself in and out. This kinda worries me...

I read elsewhere on the boards that the Mickey Bars are processed in a plant w/wheat, soy and nuts:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2395543&page=1

We're going on our first cruise in Dec., so can't speak from own experience. My daughter is allergic to all dairy anyway so unfortunately, Mickey Bars are out of the question for her.

Are there "dairy free" ice cream-like alternatives on board? I think some soft serve may contain dairy powder. Is there rice ice cream? Frozen sorbets?

Wow. That is a major bummer. I have emailed Disney so many times and they have always told me the Mickey bars were safe, except for one trip they said they might contain, then they went and changed it back to being safe by the next trip. I even emailed them back to reconfirm the change. I think Disney is pretty careful about what they list - for example if you request info they'll tell you to avoid the popcorn. Even though they don't use peanut oil the company they receive their oil from also processes peanut oil.

Wow. That is a major bummer. I have emailed Disney so many times and they have always told me the Mickey bars were safe, except for one trip they said they might contain, then they went and changed it back to being safe by the next trip. I even emailed them back to reconfirm the change. I think Disney is pretty careful about what they list - for example if you request info they'll tell you to avoid the popcorn. Even though they don't use peanut oil the company they receive their oil from also processes peanut oil.

This is what makes dealing with food allergies so difficult. I have never had them tell me anything about the popcorn. Last trip they even handed me a binder at the little stand in front of "America" in Epcot. I read and it didn't say anything about that. He's had popcorn the past 2 trips and hasn't had a reaction from it. Thank goodness!!!

I wish there was a way for them (meaning everyone, not just Disney) to be more consistent.

I hear you! I guess normally I'd just ask to see the packaging but I'm thinking with the cruise it will be so much easier if they can give me a definitive answer beforehand so I can prepare him for it so there are no big disappointments. Also that will help tell me what I should pack to bring with us (for example, I'd bring our own chocolate chip cookies but certainly not if I can get safe ones easily onboard...)

When you make ADRs they give you a number to call. If you call that number you can give them your email address and they will send you tons of info on the food inside the parks. I do this every trip just to make sure nothing has changed. It lists food stands, etc. :thumbsup2

When you make ADRs they give you a number to call. If you call that number you can give them your email address and they will send you tons of info on the food inside the parks. I do this every trip just to make sure nothing has changed. It lists food stands, etc. :thumbsup2

I did that for our February trip this year. The list they sent did us no good. Most of the counter service places we set out to eat at because of the list, didn't have the items that were on the list. I also encountered many rude people in line behind me when I had to read the binder each time we got in line for food. Our experience with the food allergies is new. Before last summer, he was eating peanuts and was fine. Before I had a child with food allergies I would have NEVER treated someone that way. I just don't know what people are thinking sometimes.

Besides peanuts, he is also allergic to pea's. The chef at 50's PTC told us the pasta marinara dish with grilled chicken was ok. He ended up having an allergic reaction. Come to find out, the elbow macaroni they had was made with chick pea flour. :sad2: Yes, anyone can make that mistake. The part I was angry about with that incident was that it was written right on the box! If he would have actually read the ingredients like he said he did, he would have seen it.

Our Feb trip wasn't the best. There were some VERY helpful CM's and Chefs but not all the time. We went back in June and I cooked in our villa for dinner and made DS's lunch each day to bring with us. It didn't feel too relaxed for me since I still doing what I usually do at home. I've been reading a lot about the cruises and I'm hoping and praying these things don't happen once on the ship. I have read much better reviews for DCL than I had for allergies at WDW, so I'm hopeful.

Edited to add..... This is all another point about consistency. I think WDW has a good idea going with the whole binder thing. They just need to keep up with it. Each time a new food product comes in it should be someone's job to put the label in the binder. BAM!! Problem solved. Parents can read the binder and it will be updated and consistent.

I did that for our February trip this year. The list they sent did us no good. Most of the counter service places we set out to eat at because of the list, didn't have the items that were on the list. I also encountered many rude people in line behind me when I had to read the binder each time we got in line for food. Our experience with the food allergies is new. Before last summer, he was eating peanuts and was fine. Before I had a child with food allergies I would have NEVER treated someone that way. I just don't know what people are thinking sometimes.

Besides peanuts, he is also allergic to pea's. The chef at 50's PTC told us the pasta marinara dish with grilled chicken was ok. He ended up having an allergic reaction. Come to find out, the elbow macaroni they had was made with chick pea flour. :sad2: Yes, anyone can make that mistake. The part I was angry about with that incident was that it was written right on the box! If he would have actually read the ingredients like he said he did, he would have seen it.

Our Feb trip wasn't the best. There were some VERY helpful CM's and Chefs but not all the time. We went back in June and I cooked in our villa for dinner and made DS's lunch each day to bring with us. It didn't feel too relaxed for me since I still doing what I usually do at home. I've been reading a lot about the cruises and I'm hoping and praying these things don't happen once on the ship. I have read much better reviews for DCL than I had for allergies at WDW, so I'm hopeful.

Edited to add..... This is all another point about consistency. I think WDW has a good idea going with the whole binder thing. They just need to keep up with it. Each time a new food product comes in it should be someone's job to put the label in the binder. BAM!! Problem solved. Parents can read the binder and it will be updated and consistent.

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear about your trip. I hope it wasn't a very bad reaction. We go often and my daughter has only reacted once - Boma. Luckily, it was a minor reaction with just a few hives and Benadryl did the trick. She didn't even eat off the buffet, the chef had gone in back to make her a plate. We now avoid that place like the plague.

My Dad had a reaction at Columbia Harbour House. He is allergic to mushrooms and the CM at the register and the CM at the food pickup told him the chili didn't have any in it. It did. He was OK, but it was quite the scene. I noticed on our next trip they no longer will let you order if you mention any allergy - each time we had to wait until a manager came over. A CM told me he is not allowed to even ring anything up until someone comes out. Yes, this does irritate the people behind you. And to be honest they can be irritated all they want, I don't really care. I'll never see them again! If it makes it safer than that is all I care about.

I do admit, we have our fav TS places now where I tend to find the chefs to be more helpful. I was always nervous about the Epcot countries, but Germany is FANTASTIC. I have even sent in letters praising them there. Chef Mickey's is another one we always have a good experience at. I was even happier when they took the PB&J pizza off the buffet!

We were going to do WDW for the first time (with kids) this year but chose the cruise instead, primarily because it seemed like it would be more relaxing regarding food issues. I appreciate greatly how good WDW is wit the binders, etc, but I am really looking forward to not having to explain everything quite so often. I have a severe shellfish allergy and often I won't even mention that. Probably not the smartest thing to do but as a Mom I am just wanting them to mainly focus on DS and I don't want anyone to get confused. anyway, with the cruise I don;t think it will be difficult at al for us both to list our allergies - sounds like they are quite used to handling this.

Tentatively, we plan to go up to the buffet for most breakfasts, since DS only eats cereal anyway and that should be safe. We'll of course go to the character breakfast and maybe one other in the dining room. We'll always all go to dinner together in the main dining rooms. We will not be leaving the kids in the clubs anytime near a meal time so that they'll always be with us for eating. As for lunch, that one is trickier, because I know we'll be in port during a few lunch times. I'm kind of hoping we can get by with bulking up on food right before we leave the ship and right after we get back, and make do with just snacks we carry with us while in port. Key West is do-able because we don't get there til noon anyway and I believe Castaway Cay will be safe but DS is so picky I am not sure he will actually eat any of that style picnic food. We shall see! :)

If it is any consolation to you, BlueyedGirl, I was quite depressed when we first got DS's diagnosis (following a scary ride to the ER in an ambulance!) but in the years since, we have learned to deal with it just fine. I have had this shellfish allergy my whole life and it has actually gotten even a little worse according to my doc, but I don't consider it a burden or curse at all. It's just another thing that makes me me, and I'm grateful to have only that to deal with. :)

It was posted in another thread that the Med and Baltic cruises do not have the Mickey bars due to a supplier issue. I guess there are no suppliers of that product that they can use overseas.

I do believe that the Mickey bars with ears will be onboard again when the ship returns to Florida.

MJ

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear about your trip. I hope it wasn't a very bad reaction. We go often and my daughter has only reacted once - Boma. Luckily, it was a minor reaction with just a few hives and Benadryl did the trick. She didn't even eat off the buffet, the chef had gone in back to make her a plate. We now avoid that place like the plague.

My Dad had a reaction at Columbia Harbour House. He is allergic to mushrooms and the CM at the register and the CM at the food pickup told him the chili didn't have any in it. It did. He was OK, but it was quite the scene. I noticed on our next trip they no longer will let you order if you mention any allergy - each time we had to wait until a manager came over. A CM told me he is not allowed to even ring anything up until someone comes out. Yes, this does irritate the people behind you. And to be honest they can be irritated all they want, I don't really care. I'll never see them again! If it makes it safer than that is all I care about.

I do admit, we have our fav TS places now where I tend to find the chefs to be more helpful. I was always nervous about the Epcot countries, but Germany is FANTASTIC. I have even sent in letters praising them there. Chef Mickey's is another one we always have a good experience at. I was even happier when they took the PB&J pizza off the buffet!

Oh wow! Well, yes we were lucky that his reaction wasn't too bad either. It was the same as yours. I started noticing hives and immediately gave him benadryl. He had only taken 3 bites of the food and said he didn't like it. (thank goodness!!)

I am glad to hear that about Germany. Is that at Biergarten? I'm always compiling a list of TS. :rotfl: I will tell you that Kona Cafe' at the Polynesian has been FANTASTIC too. We have gone there 3 times since knowing about the allergies. O'hana was also EXTREMELY helpful. But I will not take him back there mostly because there is just too much peanut stuff to deal with. He didn't have a reaction and they worked overtime to make sure he was safe which we really appreciated. But I think we will save that one for a date night with me and dh only....just to be on the safe side. We have also had very good experiences at Hoop Dee Doo! No problems there at all. So those have been our favorites the past couple of trips. I'm glad to hear good things about Chef Mickey's. We haven't tried any buffet's since finding out about the allergies.

Thanks for all the info. I like this thread. It's good for all of us to swap stories of WDW and DCL! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter