Safe bet at Coral Reef?

JMac29

Earning My Ears
I've heard so many negative things about CR, but I know my kids will love the fish tanks. So we are set to give it a try. Is there a safe bet on the menu? Something that is usually pretty good?

Paprika Dusted Pork Tenderloin was the best dish I had at Disney when we went. My wife also loved the Seared Trout.

My wife and I enjoyed our lunch there. It's not as big or noisy as so many other Disney establishments. The food was more than fine (I review restaurants for a hobby).

Some folks might find the portions too small, but I must say that we like the high-end food that is 'sculpture' on the plate. For instance, the Beet Salad w/ Goat Cheese was a lovely sight and it tasted as it should. The Mussels and Seared Trout were also on our menu and not a morsel was left behind.

My only complaint was the wait staff seemed to disappear. So, if your children get impatient.....let them go visit those fish again and again.

We have dined at Coral Reef twice in the last year. In March, 4 out of the 5 of us dining had the steak and all enjoyed it very much. Then DH and I were there 10 days ago and this time I tried the Mahi Mahi. It was also very good. If you are on the Dining Plan, I would suggest getting a Lava Smoothie for your beverage...delicious! And one of my favorite creme brulees at Disney World is the butterscotch one at Coral Reef. Enjoy!

I get the chicken and sub mashed for the spaetzel. You can also get fries. It is really good. I would also agree the servers disappear at times :confused: The server who was taking care of the table next to us cleared our table because we sat so long with the emply plates in front of us. Otherwise we enjoy CR every time we go!

We have eaten at Coral Reef multiple times and have always enjoyed our meal there. We have also always lucked out with a seat right beside the aquarium:woohoo:
I remember the appetizer for two being very good when we ate there last summer but I've read reports that the soup has since changed. The menu has changed since last summer so I can't recommend much beyond that, but I def say go eat here.
I second the lava smoothie!! DH always gets and loves the chocolate wave.

We have loved our meals at this restaurant. The mahi mahi and filet mignon- you can't go wrong with either. The desserts are also very good at this restaurant. The only negative is that the restaurant can seem overly loud because the noise bounces back from the glass on the aquarium. Also, the children really get a kick out of the fish and turtles so there's a lot of squeals of delight. I liken it to a character meal.

I had the pan seared catch of the day and it was AMAZING!!! DH and DD12 had the steak and weren't all that impressed with DH having to send his back because of how over cooked it was (DD12's was as well but she'll eat a wider range of cooking amounts). From the reviews I've read, steaks are very much hit or miss. Fish seems to get rave reviews. Again, my catch of the day was SOOOOO delicious.

My only complaint was the wait staff seemed to disappear. So, if your children get impatient.....let them go visit those fish again and again.

I had the same experience with my server. I've also read that this isn't all that uncommon.

One thing I will add is PLEASE don't let your kids go up to the fish tank if you don't have a table there. The tanks are lined with tables. The diners at those tables deserve to eat their meals without strangers joining them at their tables. It's very rude. And no, I'm not saying this because I've had a table by the tank. We were seated second level and I was glad because no way would I have been happy about the complete strangers walking up to my table and leaning over our meals. PLEASE don't do this. The tanks are very visible from every table in the restaurant.

I had the pan seared catch of the day and it was AMAZING!!! DH and DD12 had the steak and weren't all that impressed with DH having to send his back because of how over cooked it was (DD12's was as well but she'll eat a wider range of cooking amounts). From the reviews I've read, steaks are very much hit or miss. Fish seems to get rave reviews. Again, my catch of the day was SOOOOO delicious.

I had the same experience with my server. I've also read that this isn't all that uncommon.

One thing I will add is PLEASE don't let your kids go up to the fish tank if you don't have a table there. The tanks are lined with tables. The diners at those tables deserve to eat their meals without strangers joining them at their tables. It's very rude. And no, I'm not saying this because I've had a table by the tank. We were seated second level and I was glad because no way would I have been happy about the complete strangers walking up to my table and leaning over our meals. PLEASE don't do this. The tanks are very visible from every table in the restaurant.

I have to disagree with this. That is just part of being lucky enough to sit right by the glass.

I can't understand the negative reviews :confused3 we loved it there.

We had the steak with potatoes and brocolini and that was very good. The kids had the chicken breast with brocoli and that was very good too. I liked it so much, I traded my steak for it.

I don't think you can go wrong there but that was our experience. I say try it for yourself! If it was my opinion I think you would like it! :)

[/B]
I have to disagree with this. That is just part of being lucky enough to sit right by the glass.

I have to disagree with you. What's luckily about having kids swarm around your table, breathing all over you and your food, while you're trying to enjoy your meal? It is rude to the diners at those tables. The tanks are clearly visible from the rest of the tables. I also feel it's rude to let your kids swarm the tables near the windows of restaurants when Wishes start. But maybe that's just me. :confused3

Anyway, DH always gets the mahi mahi and I get the steak. Both have been great every time we have dined there.

I always get the Mahi Mahi and have never been disappointed. We had it earlier this month and it was great like usual.

I always get the Mahi-Mahi and it is always very good. My DH always gets the seared chicken breast and its always good. The waiter always even lets him get french fries with it since he doesnt like whatever it comes with.

I'll second (or third, or whatever number) the Mahi recommendation- it was WONDERFUL :) I can't remember what any one else got when we ate there, but I can remember my Mahi- give it a try!

I do remember that the wait staff was a little vacant, but I had attributed it to just because it was busy :( Guess not

I had the catch of the day (sea bass) and it was delicious. DH loved the steak and the kids' pork tenderloins were delicious as well.

We also were lucky enough to have an aquarium-side table, and did not have any kids "swarm" us. Some walked down the aisle to get a closer look, but no one stopped near our table. It looked like there was a good view of the tanks from every table.

I don't understand why people are negative about CR, I LOVE it! I always get some kind of fish and it's always great. :santa::wizard:

Thanks so much for the comments everyone! I'm really looking forward to it now. I was excited about the atmosphere, and just hoping the food was edible. Sounds like I could be pleasantly surprised.

I had wondered about the tables right next to the tank too. It would bother me to have kids surrounding my table the whole time we're eating. I had planned to request a tank-side table for the kids though. Is there a better way to request this? One row out, etc? Tank-side seems so cool though. . Of course its luck of the draw anyway, so who knows what we'll get. .

[/B]

What??? There is no excuse for people coming up to your table, leaning over your table, just to see the fish tank a little closer. That is just rude.

What??? There is no excuse for people coming up to your table, leaning over your table, just to see the fish tank a little closer. That is just rude.

I have to agree with you. One time just my DH and myself dined there and for some reason, parents were letting their children swarm the tanks. One even stepped on an empty chair next to us. Another gentlemen next to us was trying to propose to his GF and kids were swarming them too. I wonder why parents think it is okay for their children to do this at WDW and not at home?

It is a restaurant, use your manners.

BTW, we were last row and my children could not see the tanks.

Ate lunch there last Saturday and loved it! DH and I got the Mahi Mahi and it was delicious. The Lobster Bisque is pretty good too! We ate there on our first trip and loved it so this was a must do for our second trip.

I will say the service on our first visit left a lot to be desired but I didn't worry about it too much because we used that as our afternoon break. On our most recent visit the service was very good.

We were seated at the first table in front of the tank. There was a family at the table across from us and the Mom was trying to get pictures. I tried to make sure my head wasn't blocking her view. I think she and one of the kids got up a few times and went to the tank but it was always around empty tables.

On our first visit we were at the next to last table in front of the tank. Again, there was a family seated at the table across from us. They had a boy about youngest DD's age. He came over and stood behind youngest DD's chair to look in the tank. She got up and they fish watched together. They played a game where they would duck every time the shark swam by. I still smile when I think about that memory.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter