Running Renaissance: Road to Paris 2024

Don't get me wrong, I love 6ft tall white guys so much that I married one, but it did make me feel out of place.
😂
but I don't typically run any hills unless it's to cross a bridge
Just curious if there’s a reason for this (I also usually walk hills). Do bridges have a more forgiving grade generally?

Awesome job!!! You are so fast, so you should probably choose a diff emoji than a turtle. Maybe a short cheetah? :)

GOOD LUCK in your race!!!!!
Thank you!! I needed all the luck that I could get!
Good luck for your race.

And agree with lookingforsunshine, it's amazing that you coach GOTR!

Congrats on the PR!
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I appreciate the well wishes and congratulations.

I love your emoji depiction of being the crowd of tall people! I can relate so much!
I was kind of in the zone trying not to fall during the downhill and then when I finally looked up I felt so out of place.
I'm sure it takes a lot of effort to move a body of that size but my honest first thought was "your legs are nearly as tall as me so you should be faster.
Oh dear, am I going too fast? Am I going to crash and burn in the back half? 😟"

Just curious if there’s a reason for this (I also usually walk hills). Do bridges have a more forgiving grade generally?
The reason is that I live downtown and the only hills we have are for bridges. Before we moved, I ran almost exclusively on hills because that was what was out my front door.
I'm planning to make more of an effort this summer to either drive to nearby trails with hills for some of my regular runs or sneak in some hill repeats by running up and down the bridges.
It's just a weird thing that I didn't have to plan for before. I'm a runner of convenience so I just run on whatever terrain is closest.

Awesome job!!! You are so fast, so you should probably choose a diff emoji than a turtle. Maybe a short cheetah? :)
Aww, thanks. The turtle was the first short animal that came to mind but I do like the idea of a cheetah... Maybe at least a 🐇

Drake Road Race Recap (aka <1:50 or bust)
Pre Race
I woke up 10 min before my alarm which was delightful. It gave me plenty of time to make some tea and toast a couple of pop tarts. I know pop tarts aren't the healthiest choice, but they've never done me wrong and if I forget to buy them they're easy to find. 🤷‍♀️
After brekkie it was time for the morning dog walk. During our quick lap around the neighborhood, I noticed my right knee felt a little twinge. Nothing painful, just a gentle reminder that it was there and I needed to do my dynamic warm up. 👵🏻
We arrived at the race 30 min before the start and snagged one of the last parking spots in the parking lot. It was a bit chilly walking to the start (feels like <40) but since my husband was running, I didn't have the luxury to bundle up until the last minute. We ducked into the stadium and to my surprise the potty line was only 10 women deep so I decided that was my best opportunity. 🙃 I did a few stretches while waiting in line and then finished my routine outside. By that time it was only 10 min to go so I headed for the corral. This race is centered around a big track meet and attracts a lot of speedsters so I found a spot in the middle.

Miles 1-4
The race starts right outside Drake Stadium and the weather was perfect. As with most races, it was a tad crowded at the start. I kept reminding myself to just settle in and not swerve too much. The pr hopes were somewhat of a pipe dream and I was going to need all the energy I could manage. No reason to waste extra steps in the first quarter mile jockeying for position!
View attachment 664608

New this year were a bunch of student groups out cheering. Bless their hearts for waking up at 7a on a Sunday. 🙏 I didn't get a good look at any particular group but there were lots of costumes and signs. They definitely helped create a fun race atmosphere.

I did my best to find a comfortable pace without worrying too much if I was hitting the desired pace exactly. This portion of the race was net downhill so I was expecting to "bank" a few seconds for the uphills to come. The course stayed fairly crowded even as we passed the turn offs for the 5K and 10K. Fortunately it was wide enough that it wasn't difficult to settle in for the ride. Mile 4 included 150 ft of descent and at one point my lap time was 7:35. That made me worried that I was letting gravity take me a bit too fast. 🏎

Mile 5-8
At the start of mile 5 I realized I was surrounded by 6ft tall white guys which I found a bit unsettling. 🦒🦒🐢🦒🦒 Don't get me wrong, I love 6ft tall white guys so much that I married one, but it did make me feel out of place. Where were my shorties at?

After the glorious downhill that was mile 4, miles 5 & 6 would be spent climbing back up that elevation. None of the hills were daunting by themselves but I don't typically run any hills unless it's to cross a bridge. I gave myself permission to take them slow and not push. I still had half the race left after all!

I could feel the effort in my legs after the uphill but I was still chugging along. At this point a fellow runner came up for a chat and asked my goal. I was honest with him that I was trying to break 1:50 and even though I was on pace to do so, didn't have a lot of confidence that it would happen. I knew the back half of the race was flatter but I did not know how long I could hang on. 😬

Miles 9-12
Around mile 9 I was met by a surprise downhill. Sadly, it was quickly followed by another climb. Not near as extreme as earlier in the race and I was thankful that we didn't run the course backwards.

Just after the uphill we headed west. We were less than half a mile from the finish line but started heading the opposite direction 😠. Obviously I knew I had a few miles to go but it was still disheartening to be going geographically further away.

It was around mile 10 when I realized that as long as I could keep moving forward at a decent pace, I would be darn near close to that big scary goal. Of course, this is also when I started noticing some pain in my right hip and glute. 😮

Mile 11 was mostly unnotable which is generally how I prefer mile 11 to go. At mile 12, I was greeted again by the student groups. They seemed to have a lot more energy than they did when I had passed them early on in the race and once again I was thankful for their energy. 👏👏👏

The Big Finish
I was just a few turns away from a new PR and I was stoked to be approaching the famous trackside finish line. I made sure to smile for a few cameras during my victory lap but once I got to that final 100m, it was all eyes on the prize.
View attachment 664688

I'm incredibly pleased with how the race went. I couldn't have asked for better conditions or results. I'm still recovering from my runner's high nearly 12 hours later. More thoughts on what's to come once I'm thinking clearly again 🤣

View attachment 664690

Oh yeah, I almost forgot... Official time of 🥁🥁🥁1:48:03 😁😁😁
1:48:03!?! That's freaking amazing! You should be damn proud of yourself!!! Congratulations.

Drake Road Race by the Numbers
Below are my mile splits throughout the race. I did a pretty good job of pacing and taking the elevation changes into account with the exception of miles 11 & 12. It definitely was not a negative split and I may have started a tad fast, but since my mindset was "1:50 or bust" I wouldn't change a thing about the race strategy.

1C355738-B22A-4676-89EB-712CB8F83AD6.jpeg

Could I have run faster if I had done all the training? Maybe a smidge. However, the results are still a 2% improvement since my 10 miler in November. Plus, I bested my previous half PR (from 2016) by over 2.5 minutes! 🤯

Had you asked me this time last year about my goals for 2022, I never would have imagined to have regained so much fitness. I'm very happy with where I am and immediately started assessing how far away I am from some of my loftier running goals. They're all still a ways in the future but feel light-years closer now.

Stay tuned to see how this all shakes out.

Happy running!

Drake Road Race by the Numbers
Below are my mile splits throughout the race. I did a pretty good job of pacing and taking the elevation changes into account with the exception of miles 11 & 12. It definitely was not a negative split and I may have started a tad fast, but since my mindset was "1:50 or bust" I wouldn't change a thing about the race strategy.

View attachment 664851

Could I have run faster if I had done all the training? Maybe a smidge. However, the results are still a 2% improvement since my 10 miler in November. Plus, I bested my previous half PR (from 2016) by over 2.5 minutes! 🤯

Had you asked me this time last year about my goals for 2022, I never would have imagined to have regained so much fitness. I'm very happy with where I am and immediately started assessing how far away I am from some of my loftier running goals. They're all still a ways in the future but feel light-years closer now.

Stay tuned to see how this all shakes out.

Happy running!
Loftier goals....like a BQ qualifier? You can do it in time!

Drake Road Race Recap (aka <1:50 or bust)
Pre Race
I woke up 10 min before my alarm which was delightful. It gave me plenty of time to make some tea and toast a couple of pop tarts. I know pop tarts aren't the healthiest choice, but they've never done me wrong and if I forget to buy them they're easy to find. 🤷‍♀️
After brekkie it was time for the morning dog walk. During our quick lap around the neighborhood, I noticed my right knee felt a little twinge. Nothing painful, just a gentle reminder that it was there and I needed to do my dynamic warm up. 👵🏻
We arrived at the race 30 min before the start and snagged one of the last parking spots in the parking lot. It was a bit chilly walking to the start (feels like <40) but since my husband was running, I didn't have the luxury to bundle up until the last minute. We ducked into the stadium and to my surprise the potty line was only 10 women deep so I decided that was my best opportunity. 🙃 I did a few stretches while waiting in line and then finished my routine outside. By that time it was only 10 min to go so I headed for the corral. This race is centered around a big track meet and attracts a lot of speedsters so I found a spot in the middle.

Miles 1-4
The race starts right outside Drake Stadium and the weather was perfect. As with most races, it was a tad crowded at the start. I kept reminding myself to just settle in and not swerve too much. The pr hopes were somewhat of a pipe dream and I was going to need all the energy I could manage. No reason to waste extra steps in the first quarter mile jockeying for position!
View attachment 664608

New this year were a bunch of student groups out cheering. Bless their hearts for waking up at 7a on a Sunday. 🙏 I didn't get a good look at any particular group but there were lots of costumes and signs. They definitely helped create a fun race atmosphere.

I did my best to find a comfortable pace without worrying too much if I was hitting the desired pace exactly. This portion of the race was net downhill so I was expecting to "bank" a few seconds for the uphills to come. The course stayed fairly crowded even as we passed the turn offs for the 5K and 10K. Fortunately it was wide enough that it wasn't difficult to settle in for the ride. Mile 4 included 150 ft of descent and at one point my lap time was 7:35. That made me worried that I was letting gravity take me a bit too fast. 🏎

Mile 5-8
At the start of mile 5 I realized I was surrounded by 6ft tall white guys which I found a bit unsettling. 🦒🦒🐢🦒🦒 Don't get me wrong, I love 6ft tall white guys so much that I married one, but it did make me feel out of place. Where were my shorties at?

After the glorious downhill that was mile 4, miles 5 & 6 would be spent climbing back up that elevation. None of the hills were daunting by themselves but I don't typically run any hills unless it's to cross a bridge. I gave myself permission to take them slow and not push. I still had half the race left after all!

I could feel the effort in my legs after the uphill but I was still chugging along. At this point a fellow runner came up for a chat and asked my goal. I was honest with him that I was trying to break 1:50 and even though I was on pace to do so, didn't have a lot of confidence that it would happen. I knew the back half of the race was flatter but I did not know how long I could hang on. 😬

Miles 9-12
Around mile 9 I was met by a surprise downhill. Sadly, it was quickly followed by another climb. Not near as extreme as earlier in the race and I was thankful that we didn't run the course backwards.

Just after the uphill we headed west. We were less than half a mile from the finish line but started heading the opposite direction 😠. Obviously I knew I had a few miles to go but it was still disheartening to be going geographically further away.

It was around mile 10 when I realized that as long as I could keep moving forward at a decent pace, I would be darn near close to that big scary goal. Of course, this is also when I started noticing some pain in my right hip and glute. 😮

Mile 11 was mostly unnotable which is generally how I prefer mile 11 to go. At mile 12, I was greeted again by the student groups. They seemed to have a lot more energy than they did when I had passed them early on in the race and once again I was thankful for their energy. 👏👏👏

The Big Finish
I was just a few turns away from a new PR and I was stoked to be approaching the famous trackside finish line. I made sure to smile for a few cameras during my victory lap but once I got to that final 100m, it was all eyes on the prize.
View attachment 664688

I'm incredibly pleased with how the race went. I couldn't have asked for better conditions or results. I'm still recovering from my runner's high nearly 12 hours later. More thoughts on what's to come once I'm thinking clearly again 🤣

View attachment 664690

Oh yeah, I almost forgot... Official time of 🥁🥁🥁1:48:03 😁😁😁

Wow! That is a terrific race and PR! Congratulations! :banana:
:banana: :banana:

Thank you! Your reaction brought a smile to my face 😊.

I was wearing my medal around the house this morning in celebration. I took it off to go to the dentist but may put it back on before my afternoon meetings 😆
If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take to get to your current level? I am sincerely impressed with your 1:48!

Wow! That is a terrific race and PR! Congratulations! :banana:
:banana: :banana:
Thank you! I love the bananas!

Loftier goals....like a BQ qualifier? You can do it in time!
:rolleyes1
I did realize today that I could reasonably aim to qualify for Chicago with my next marathon cycle (3:40). It'd require one heck of a training season, ideal racing conditions, and perfect race execution...but possible.

If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take to get to your current level? I am sincerely impressed with your 1:48!
I ran my first half in 2010 (2:01:47). I've run at least one a year except for 2020 & 2021. My dedication to training has varied throughout the years and I did take a considerable break from 2019-2020. I didn't see any notable improvements until I started doing some speedwork in 2016. I've also learned the importance of not focusing on the same distance time and time again. It's both good for me mentally and physically to switch things up.

I've had my share of bad races along the way (bad weather, inadequate training, challenging course, etc.) but each one has taught me something. You'll often hear people say that running is an experiment of one. You can learn a lot from others' experiences, but it's ultimately up to you to find what works and it's fruitless to compare yourself to anyone but yourself.

Congrats on the PR. I am hapay to hear your fitness returned. I was following you pre Covid and we were pretty close to pace. I have struggled with injuries since 2021. I am hoping I can return to my good fitness days again. Awesome job!

Congrats on the PR. I am hapay to hear your fitness returned. I was following you pre Covid and we were pretty close to pace. I have struggled with injuries since 2021. I am hoping I can return to my good fitness days again. Awesome job!
I got burnt out in 2019 and then injured so I definitely know what it's like to start over. I may not be exactly where I was in 2017/18 but it's darn close and I'm wiser now. 🧙‍♀️

You'll get there in time! Just be patient and give yourself grace.

What's Next?
I'm registered for another half on 4 June. At this point, I plan to just run it for fun but I retain my right to change my mind. 😆

I took last week completely off which was a much needed physical and mental reset. This week I'm going to ease back into things by repeating the taper week training starting tomorrow. The timing between the races works out such that I'll be able to run the last three weeks of my training plan in reverse order and then finish with the last two weeks.

I'm sure that isn't the ideal way to do this but I don't have any time goals for this half so I just want to keep my fitness up and I do best with some sort of plan to hold me accountable. With any luck, I'll be in sightly better shape come June and won't be near as sore afterward. 🤪

As for last week, even though I didn't run, there was a lot of running related activity.

Monday - no school so no GOTR. Instead, I nearly went crazy looking for a 10K training plan online before finally ordering this book. The dogs are very interested in how this turns out.
BCCA4F0F-6308-4936-BC81-52A59686B4B3.jpeg

Tuesday - We checked out the usatf road mile championship. It was a pretty cool experience. They have elite, competitive, and recreational divisions. My main motivation in attending was to determine which division I should register for next year. Obviously not elite 🤣. I didn't really come to any conclusions. The race organizers indicate to register for the competitive division if you'll run <8 min mile. However, the top finisher was around 5:30 which is way faster than I ever anticipate that I could run a mile. The recreational division had finishers of all times, sub 6 to over 20. The biggest difference is the number of runners. I could see the recreational division being frustrating if I were stuck behind some of the 20min milers. However, there were only like 20 women in the competitive division so much more difficult to hide myself in the crowd.
DE5D243B-9AC8-474A-84E6-C60F90E81348.jpeg

Wednesday - GOTR practice followed by my first bike ride of the year. I'm not much of a cyclist but I do own a bike that is used very infrequently. I always think I'll start riding more but it's just so much easier to go for a run. It took half an hour just to find my gear and get my bike ready.

Thursday - Attended the distance carnival at the Drake Relays. This is my favorite night of the relays because, as you might guess, it has most of the distance events. It also features the steeplechase which is my all time favorite track event. "you know what would make running in circles more interesting?" "Really tall barriers and puddles"
A67C9E95-1FDF-4528-A4A1-0188235F0662.jpeg

Friday - more Drake Relays. The most exciting part was seeing Jenny Simpson honored (see previous comments about how much I love the steeplechase) 😍
0C79F74B-2D3E-4D7D-A1CF-7678EA05457F.jpeg

Saturday - yet again, more Drake Relays. Saturday is the "big" event featuring a few Olympic medalists and the majority of the relay events of the weekends' namesake. The most memorable of these was the distance medley. The runners aren't assigned specific lanes for the second and third handoff. Couple that with the fact that they're all still bunched together quite closely and there's a lot of contact. There was more than one fall during the mens competition.
4D1917D2-C56B-46A6-BAB4-A86BE97D8AC8.jpeg

All in all, a really good rest week. I'm looking forward to shaking the rust off tomorrow and seeing how I feel. The good news is that my hip/knee is currently a non issue. It was giving me fits after my half in January so I'm very happy that it's not this time around.

Happy running friends!

Run to Exile 10K Training - Week 0/20
Switched gears a bit on my training plan. After reading Daniels' Running Formula, I started reconsidering my approach. I really wanted to follow a 10K plan that followed his methodology and realized that if I waited to start until after my half in 6 weeks, I'd have to shorten the plan to fit into 15 weeks instead of 18. Since the plan is to run the half for fun and not time, I decided to "forget" about the half and focus on the 10K.

For those unfamiliar, Daniels recommends 4 phases of training at 6 weeks each. Phase 1 is base training and he suggests you can skip this if you've been running regularly and already have a suitable base. The next three phases are Initial Quality (speed), Transition Quality (endurance), and Final Quality (race readiness). I'm going to start this week with some phase 1 easy runs and then next week will be the start of phase 2. I'll spend 6 weeks in each phase with one recovery week snuck in after the half. My plan will closely mimic the 40-50 mpw 10k plan from his book. I did make a few adjustments so that I could start the plan with my base of 30mpw.

I'm excited to see how this goes. I've never created my own plan before, even if it was mostly copied. There was lots of math involved to make sure I wasn't exceeding any of the limits for the different types of runs. For example, at 30 mpw, my R sessions need to be shorter than 1.5 miles and the book started with 16x200 which is obviously more than my 1.5 mile cap. If anything, it will be fun to try out something new for a while.

Scheduled
Monday - Off
Tuesday - EB 2 miles
Wednesday - Mini Progression
Thursday - EA 3 miles
Friday - Off
Saturday - EA 5.5 miles
Sunday - EB 7.5 miles

Completed
Monday - Off
Tuesday - EB 2 miles - this run felt a little tougher than I expected. The legs still weren't quite ready and my dogs were very suspicious why I was outside without them.
E0831101-4AB3-46CE-863C-77189DC70234.jpeg
After the run, I started a strength training program. This is something I've been negligent about for a while and finally decided that now was the time.
Wednesday - Mini Progression - the warm up for this run felt much better than the Tuesday run. However, I had some trouble with my pacing. At this point in the week, I still hadn't decided what to do about my training and my thoughts kept drifting away from the task at hand. I followed up the run with day 2 of the strength training program.
Thursday - EA 3 miles - honestly, I don't remember this run at all. It must have been fine. I had originally planned for day 3 of strength but my legs were noticably sore so I decided to postpone by a day.
Friday - Off - my boss suggested that I apply for a new job and I spent most of this day creating a new resume. I've been in my current role for over 5 years so the resume was definitely in need of a refresh. This ended up taking way longer than I anticipated and I ran out of time for my strength workout.
Saturday - M tempo? 5 miles - I needed to pick up my age group award from my recent half at the local Fleet Feet so I decided to try out their social run once again. In order to run with the group, I found myself running faster than I would have liked. I wasn't worried about jeopardizing my training so I just went with it but not sure when I'll be back. Anyway, check out this cool award. It's a relay baton 🤩
9302A9F8-B494-4549-9F93-3CFC72C76C49.jpeg

Sunday - Off - I volunteered at a water stop with GOTR for a local race. My plan was to run there and back to get my mileage in but there were storms in the area so I ended up driving. I'm glad I did because the race was delayed by an hour from the storms and I wouldn't have had any shelter without my car. I felt quite bad for all the runners, not only was the race delayed but they also cancelled the half marathon because the city wouldn't let them keep the roads closed for that long. Everyone was forced into the 10k and even though the storms passed it still rained and the wind was intense. Definitely not ideal conditions. All the runners that I saw seemed to be making the most of it. By the time all that was said and done, I was quite tired and opted for a nap instead of a run 🙈 I'm just taking advantage of the recovery weeks while I can. Things are about to get serious around here again.

Happy running my friends!

Run to Exile 10K Training - Week 1/20
Remember that job posting my boss suggested? On Thursday, I found out that I was selected for the next round which includes a technical assessment. This meant I spent a lot of my free time on Friday and Saturday learning Python and linear regression. Not really how I was expecting to spend my weekend but hopefully it pays off 🤞. Now onto the training!

Scheduled
Monday - Off
Tuesday - Easy 6 miles
Wednesday - Easy 4 miles
Thursday - Easy 5 miles
Friday - Off
Saturday - Easy 6 miles
Sunday - Easy 9 miles

Completed
Monday - Off - surprise! It's summer! 🌞Walked 2 miles at GOTR and decided that was enough. Strength session #3 finally completed. We were going to ride bikes to a local brewery but one of the bikes had a flat and we neither had the supplies nor the skills to replace the tube. This is why I will always prefer running. It's just easier to get out the door. We ended up walking instead so no big loss.
Tuesday - Easy 4 miles - Intended to run before work but missed the opportunity. Due to the heat, decided to go for 4 only. Was questioning my life choices when I first started, felt better half a mile in but really started struggling 1.5 miles. Definitely went too fast as evidenced by my heart rate.
69132BEE-46FE-4285-8F80-AD8A5C904B96.jpg
Zone 4 should not show it’s face on easy runs. I even stopped to admire that spring had finally arrived.
2277A28E-73AF-420F-B27B-B3E7B9030532.jpeg
Wednesday - Easy 5 miles - learned a couple of lessons from Tuesday. Run in the morning and SLOW DOWN. It was already warm and humid but I managed my heart rate much better and got to enjoy the sunrise 😊
50A7FBB0-985B-4B76-957C-353BDB866284.jpeg
Thursday - Easy 6 miles - another am run. The weather seemed slightly better but it was still toasty. I started questioning if I really wanted to "train" this summer and if it was worth it. Then I remembered that I have big scary goals and I can do it. Also, fitness goals > body goals. I'm still about 15 lbs heavier than I was when I was previously at my peak but that's okay. If I keep up the running and lifting, I can lose it or use it for muscle.
Friday - Off - I did my 3rd strength workout for the week. Not sure when I did my second because I didn't write it down. My goal is 4/week but I'm counting anything over 2 as a success. It's still a heck of a lot better than the 0 I was doing.
Saturday - Easy 6 miles - I did not sleep well at all. In fact, my Garmin body battery told me that my battery lost charge while I slept! Regardless, I had to be at the zoo to volunteer at 8:30 and it was forecast to be another summer like day. I was out the door by 6:30 and it was absolutely beautiful out.
57944485-6475-4FEA-9BF0-DDE19D476507.jpeg
My partner had his tire repaired and we were able to successfully ride our bikes to dinner as well. I'm hoping this becomes a regular weekend activity. However the most exciting part was that I was able to successfully hang my bike back on it's rack without the fear that I was going to topple over. 💪 I guess that strength training is working.
Sunday - Easy 7.5 miles - ughhh. Another sleepy morning but I had nowhere to be so didn't rush out. Decided to have an easy Sunday morning instead (including making banana pancakes 😁). This was nearly my downfall as I never really got energized for the day. Debated not running at all or postponing until Monday before i finally decided I could make it 5 or so miles. Psyching myself up for an hour run is much easier than an hour and a half. Ended up at 7.5. Nearly went to the full 9 once I got out there but my hip/knee we're starting to talk. Let this be a reminder to everyone, but mostly myself, that sometimes you just need to give it a try.

Overall, a really good week. A few stumbles but a success nonetheless. Now onto the hard stuff!

Happy running y'all!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter