Running Renaissance: Road to Paris 2024

I'm trying to tell myself that's on purpose

It was. The vacation disrupted the natural order of the plan. In order to try and peak at Disney we needed to push hard last week and this week to get the training load back up to leave room to go down with a good fitness level.

Thanks! I was so relieved. I knew my POT should place me there but you just never know. Before I found the corrals, there was some minor tantrums I might be in B. My husband didn't understand why it mattered at all. From any corral, it's a fun race. I just wanted what I deserved.

Sorry to be a downer, but I started running about 50 years ago. You are only as good as your next race and you don't deserve a thing, and to admit to even a minor tantrum thinking you
might not be in the first corral speaks volumes. You have some growing up to do.

Sorry to be a downer, but I started running about 50 years ago. You are only as good as your next race and you don't deserve a thing, and to admit to even a minor tantrum thinking you
might not be in the first corral speaks volumes. You have some growing up to do.
This seems a bit harsh. I'm sure gollygadget was most likely exaggerating her "tantrum". If one trains hard for a POT, I can understand wanting the corresponding corral.

It was. The vacation disrupted the natural order of the plan. In order to try and peak at Disney we needed to push hard last week and this week to get the training load back up to leave room to go down with a good fitness level.
Thanks for the confirmation. I'm relieved to hear that I wasn't making a poor assumption.

This seems a bit harsh. I'm sure gollygadget was most likely exaggerating her "tantrum". If one trains hard for a POT, I can understand wanting the corresponding corral.
Thanks for pointing this out. I don't even recall said tantrum because it was nearly 3 years ago. I'm sure I just complained to my husband about it. It's not like I was kicking and screaming. Although that image is making me giggle.

I was just trying to articulate the unwarranted stress that waiting for corrals previously caused. Even though I had trained hard and ran a qualifying time, there was always this fear that I typed something in wrong or runDisney didn't like it for some reason.

Merry Christmas everyone! I hope your holiday weekend is full of your favorite things!

Might have been. At the same time she is the one who noted the tantrum and despite your POT, who is to say a lot of other runners didn't have a better one.
It would not have been the end of the world, (using the old corral system), if she ended up in corral B instead of corral A. To make it sound like it would have been,
(purely in my opinion), would have been an immature reaction.

Dec 20–26 Recap (2 weeks until WDW Half)
Good news friends: this week was much better. I was going to apologize for being such a downer last week but I don't think that's necessary. We all have bad weeks or bad runs and there's no reason to pretend those don't exist. All we can do is keep putting one foot in front of the other.

The schedule:
Monday - Off
Tuesday - EA 5.5 miles
Wednesday - M Tempo
Thursday - EA 5.5 miles
Friday - Off
Saturday - EB 6 miles
Sunday - Long Run 12 miles

The actual:
Monday - Off
Tuesday - EA 3.3 miles
Wednesday - M Tempo
Thursday - EA 5.5 miles
Friday - Off
Saturday - EB 6 miles
Sunday - Long Run 12 miles

On Tuesday I met up with the local running store for a Christmas light run. The route was only just over 3mi and since it was dark and I was in an unfamiliar part of town I decided that was good enough. The lights were lovely and I had to stop a few times just to enjoy them.

I was a bit nervous about Wednesday's tempo run given how rough the hm tempo was the week before. I'm also not particularly fond of tempo runs. They're usually a lot more difficult for me for some reason. I enjoy speed work and long runs are okay but tempos just aren't my favorite. Anyway, the workout was to be 2.5 miles @ marathon pace (9:00), 1 mile @ 8:50, and 0.5 miles @ 8:40. My HM pace is 8:38 and that's the segment that had me the most worried. Turns out, the run wasn't all that difficult and I was fairly close on my paces (8:56, 8:45, 8:40).
97AC7DEB-52ED-4E44-AE12-A11245DB18F7.jpeg

Thursday was another easy run and there were at least a dozen bald eagles flying around so that was fun to watch. They were all too far away to take a photo but I did get this photo of a newer underpass lit up for Christmas. I'm extremely grateful for this underpass as it connects two parks and provides me more options for running that don't involve crossing busy streets.

Saturday was Christmas so my schedule was a bit off and instead of the usual morning or pre lunch run, I went out in the afternoon. The weather was absolutely brilliant and I really appreciated how nice my normal route was looking that day.

Finally the week closed with a 12 miler on Sunday. Again I was nervous. Those double digits runs just have a way of getting in my head. The first mile was rough but the next few just ticked by. Miles 6-9 were mentally tough but my pace was steady. Once there was only 5k left, I knew I was going to make it. Overall, I ended up with a pace of 9:48, only 1 second quicker than the goal. A huge victory that left me feeling well prepared for race day.

As a bonus, my Garmin congratulated me on the long run. Looking forward to breaking that distance in less than two weeks!

Happy running y'all!

Attachments

• 073B7363-671B-4F64-93A3-BA9A51A715C4.jpeg
    073B7363-671B-4F64-93A3-BA9A51A715C4.jpeg
    57.6 KB · Views: 2
Dec 27–Jan 2 Recap (<1 week until WDW Half)
Yippee! We made it to race week 😁. To be honest, I've been so busy with vacation and the holidays the last couple of months, the race itself has snuck up on me. I haven't had much time at all to think about the race which has been a bit of a blessing. I was even surprised today when I received the email from runDisney about expo check in passes.

The schedule:
Monday - Off
Tuesday - EA 5.5 miles
Wednesday - M Tempo + Fast
Thursday - EA 5.5 miles
Friday - Off
Saturday - EB 6 miles
Sunday - Long Run 8 miles

The actual:
Monday - Off
Tuesday - EA 5.5 miles
Wednesday - EA 2.7 miles
Thursday - Off
Friday - Off
Saturday - Off
Sunday - Off

Yikes. I was NOT anticipating a week like that. I suppose I must have jinxed myself when I was counting up my missed runs last week and it was only 2 (One the day after my covid booster and one on the travel day from vacation). I guess I better make that 5 now. That's still pretty good for 62 workouts, right? Does a 92% still count for an A?

Tuesday's run went well at least 🙄. I needed to get the run done in the morning and there was freezing rain on the way so I headed for the apt treadmill room. It was fine. The treadmill annoyingly only lets you run 5k at a time so I had to take a brief break in the middle. On the brightside, I got to do a bit of heat acclimation and the ice covered sidewalks on my way back to my building confirmed that the treadmill was the right decision.

Wednesday we were out of town so I unfortunately didn't have access to a treadmill. The residential roads were snow covered but I thought if I could get to the trail, I could at least get some miles in. That was sort of true. The trails had been cleared a bit but it was too cold to melt so it was very snowy with patches of ice. I made it just over a mile before the entire trail became an ice sheet so I decided to shuffle my way back. It sure is pretty at least?

On Thursday I woke up with a sore throat but still planned to try to get my run in during the afternoon. As you can see, that didn't happen. My body was telling me I needed to rest, so I did. One missed run isn't the end of the world after all. Sadly, it wasn't just going to be one missed run. Whatever bug I caught, wiped me out for the weekend too.

The good news is that I'm feeling much better as of this morning and I'm not too fussed over missing some of the taper runs. Sure, it would be better if I had been able to run them, but I don't think it's the end of the world at this point. I suppose we'll find out on Saturday 🤞

A bit of a rough way to end the year, but as Strava reminded me, it was still a great year overall. I nearly doubled my monthly mileage from Jan to Dec without injury. I also did a great job at staying consistent. Having that 1000 mile goal was a great motivator and I'm looking forward to another 1000+ miles in 2022!

One more thing before I go, I accidentally attached a photo of my "old" running shoes to last week's post. These were my current running shoes until my toes started popping out on both sides 😬. They've been due for replacement for a while but I was really hoping to get them through the half first. I bought the newer version of the shoes but with all the missed runs, I've only worn them a few times. I'm going to try to get a few more runs in them this week but now I'm not sure if they'll be "race ready". I have two other pairs of shoes that I sometimes run in so I'll likely bring at least one of those. The second pair gave me excruciating arch pain for the majority of my 10 mile race so those are definitely a no go.

Until next time friends, happy running!

Jan 3-7 Recap (<1 day until WDW Half)
Hello from sunny Florida! Yesterday when I left for the airport, the wind chill was -20 and when I landed it was over 70. I think that's the biggest temperature difference I've ever experienced in one day. Luckily other than the morning dog walk and entering the airport, I didn't have to spend much time outside. Also really fortunate to not encounter any flight problems. Not nearly as worried about the flight back 😊

The schedule:
Monday - Off
Tuesday - EA 5.5 miles
Wednesday - EB 5 miles
Thursday - EA 3 miles
Friday - Off
Saturday - Race 😁😁😁
Sunday - Off

The actual:
Monday - Off
Tuesday - EA 5.5 miles
Wednesday - EB 5 miles
Thursday - Off
Friday - EA 3 miles
Saturday - ?????
Sunday - Off

Only one minor change in the schedule and that was according to plan (although not the official plan). Tuesday and Wednesday were both on the treadmill. My reasoning was to prep my body for the warmer climate but I also really didn't want to run in the sub zero temp and super wind that we've been experiencing.

I moved Thursday's run to Friday for two reasons:
1. I was traveling on Thursday. Leaving my house at 7a then arriving to Disney around 3:30p. I could have found time, but with needing to go to expo and grab an early dinner and bedtime it would have been difficult.
2. I prefer to have a shake out run the day before my race. It helps me get out some pre race jitters.

Anyway, the run this morning went fine. My mom was running the 10K (her first Disney race) so we were up bright and early. My original plan was to run my 3 miles around the Epcot parking lot after she started. However we arrived at Epcot around 4 and she headed straight to the corrals. Since I had an hour to kill, I decided to just find some space and get in my miles. Below is my route map which I thought some of you may find amusing. It's basically me circling the portapotts and bus pickup area before heading to spectator viewing.
8735FBCA-8EAC-4B1F-A968-7FE3CA8CDFE9.png

I was able to complete my run and still make it for the official race start! My mom was in the last group so I decided to stick around to the very end. I was very curious to see these infamous balloon ladies. It was really interesting to me how they paused at the start for a few minutes and synced up their watches with the bike patrol.
EF64BA09-0EA7-448C-867A-DDA25259E552.jpeg

Tomorrow is race day and I'm really looking forward to it!!! All of the festivities this morning really amped up my excitement. I'm planning to try to run an 8:45 pace plus any stops but will play it by ear. I'm not aiming for a PR but I do like to push myself.

I'll be back with a race recap in a few days. Until then, happy running my friends!

Last edited:
WDW Half Marathon Race Recap
This one is going to be a bit long winded, so please bear with me. My goal is to cover some of the Disney aspects and the race itself but we'll see where my rambling takes me.

Disclaimer: I am a runner first and a Disney fan second. That isn't to say that I'm some sort of elite runner (because I definitely am not), but I started running long before I got into runDisney. I'm sharing this race recap to illustrate my own personal experience because when I ran my first Disney race in 2014, I could not find much information on what the experience was like for a seasoned runner. I know that some of my complaints will seem minor and my experiences are probably not what the vast majority encounter but that doesn't make them any less valid or true.

Goals
1. Arrive at the start line on time and prepared to run a half marathon
2. Have fun
3. Finish before 7am so I could secure a Remy boarding group

The Expo
We aren't big "merch" people and were only attending the expo so that we could pick up our race shirts and bibs. However, we did walk through the merch area to see what was there. As you probably know, by Thursday afternoon there wasn't much. Typically, the medal and race shirt are enough to commemorate my experience but I do like to look just in case something catches my eye. In this case, we left empty handed.

We then headed towards the next building to get our bibs. Much to my surprise, my bib had me in s1. I was able to submit a POT from the 2019 Princess 10K but based on some of the Dopey starting group assignments, I was assuming that I would be in s2. However, I had forgotten that the marathon/dopey/goofy have different POT requirements than the HM. This was a really pleasant surprise because it was going to be a big help in accomplishing goal #3. After bibs we picked up our race shirts which were inconveniently in yet another building. I think this is normal for Disney, but I've never had to visit 3 different buildings to pick up all my race gear in other races. I'm pretty sure they put the race shirts in the other building just so those other vendors get some foot traffic, but it doesn't make for a smooth experience for those of us that just want to get in and get out. After all of that we were off to Disney Springs for our 5pm dinner reservation so my mom could get to bed early for her 10K.

Pro Tip #1: Have a plan for dinner the night before your race(s). Personally, I prefer to make dinner reservations for an early dinner. I've learned the hard way that I don't want to spend the time and/or energy trying to figure out dinner the night before.

Pre Race
My mom ran the 10K on Friday so I was able to use that to test out how transportation was going to work for the HM. We were staying in the Jamaica section at CBR. This turned out to be a great spot because it was the first bus stop and right next to the skyliner. Based on the 10K, I knew it took about half an hour from the time I got on the bus to get to the drop off point at Epcot. Since Disney was encouraging arrival by 3:30a, this meant catching the 3a bus. It ended up only taking 15 minutes on Saturday morning so even with the mile walk from the buses to the staging area, a stop at the potties, and the additional mile walk to the starting area, I was still in my corral early and it was pretty much empty. Goal #1 accomplished. I know some hate on the pre race announcers, and the speakers in my corral were insanely loud, but they do help pass the time.

Pro Tip #2: If you're staying at a resort with multiple bus stops and your stop seems overly crowded, walk to another stop. I forget which stop it was (probably Barbados?) but by the time our bus got there, the stop was absolutely crammed full of people and we couldn't fit everyone on our bus. I'm guessing the earlier buses were filling up before they got this far into the resort and I was on the very first bus that went to this stop around 3:45am even though buses started running at 3a.

Miles 1-6
The race started with the typical pre-race fanfare and fireworks. Being in s1, I was quickly across the starting line (my gun/clock time only have an 11 second differential). I knew I was surrounded by faster runners so I deliberately tried to run slow. I also knew it was very easy to rack up extra mileage on a course with as many turns and wide roads so I did my best to run the tangents but found it very difficult to see the course ahead with it being so dark and not having an entire corral of runners ahead.

The very first character I saw was Mary Poppins and Bert. Their line already had ~20 people in it and since I've had a photo with them before, I decided to keep running.
Mile 1 was finished in 8:30, a smidge faster than I planned on starting so I did my best to slow down a hair. Shortly after mile 1 was a penguin from Mary Poppins which only had about 5 people in line, so I decided to stop. In general, I have a rule that I'll stop for any character if there's less than 5 people in line. For some reason this line moved slower than I expected but I was already committed so I waited it out. After the penguin was Tinker Bell and her friend (no idea her name) which I stopped at especially for my cousin who is a big fan. Mile 2 ended up being a whole minute slower than mile 1 (9:30) which I mostly attribute to the penguin line...so worth it though :)

Pro Tip #3: If there's a line for the early character stops you can sometimes catch these on the way back. In hindsight, I could have saved myself that minute by waiting for the return trip since both Tinker Bell and the Penguin were out on my way back to Epcot. However, I have tried that strategy in the past only to get burned when the later corrals were still on that portion of the course and the line was much, much longer.

For better or for worse, I don't remember much of mile 3 (8:36) but there must have been another character here because my pace slowed just before the mile marker. I'm going to assume this was Nick Wilde. There was no line so of course I stopped. At first I was slightly disappointed because I would have much preferred Judy Hopps and in the past the characters would switch out but much to my surprise Judy was just a bit further down the course so I was happy to have them both. Shortly after Judy was the TTC which is always an energetic spot with lots of fans. Thank you to those that wake up early to cheer on us crazy runners, your dedication is amazing and much appreciated! I quickly approached mile 4 (8:34) and was soon making my way into the Magic Kingdom.

I really love the HM entry into the MK. Running through the main entrance and onto Main Street is truly magical. I managed to keep it together until I spotted my mom in the crowd. After that it was a lot of tears. There's just something about the atmosphere that's overwhelming (in a good way). I don't even remember the 5 mile marker there was so much else going on (8:37). I stopped for pictures with Buzz, White Rabbit and Sebastian since they all met my less than 5 in a line rule although I would have stopped for Sebastian regardless. I have a photo with him from the 2018 marathon and it's still one of my faves.

Next up was the castle and I really wanted a good photo. I've always tried to find a gap and have never been successful. There were always other runners somewhat blocking me. This was a different story though, probably my favorite picture from the whole race. Nailed it! Also, it kind of looks like I'm literally flying. My feet aren't even on the ground. That is pure Disney magic!

After the castle, I stopped for a quick photo with Colonial Mickey. Mickey is my mom's favorite and she was disappointed not to see him on the 10K course so I knew I had to stop for him but there wasn't really a line anyway. The run through Frontierland was not very well lit which I'm sure is thematically more accurate but it's difficult to keep a good pace when you can't see the ground. I wish they'd put some additional lighting in this area. The final stop in MK was a photo with Jafar. I'm not the biggest villains fan but there basically wasn't a line so I felt compelled to stop anyway. I wrapped up mile 6 in 8:50 which I was incredibly pleased with since I had stopped for 5 characters along the way.

Miles 7-12
I was feeling really strong at the halfway mark and started to do some running math. Spoiler alert: This is never a good idea. I knew I could comfortably run the final 5K in under 27 min and my HM PR was 1:50:xx. My math told me that if I could get to the 10 mile mark before 1:23:00 that I could set a new PR. However, I wasn't going to let a PR pursuit stop me from having fun (goal #2) so I still stopped for a photo with Horace Horsecollar shortly before the 7 mile marker. Mile 7 was done (8:44) and the official race time was somewhere near 1:02. This is where the bad runner math threw me for a loop. For some reason, I thought I was only 2 miles away from mile 10 and I knew I could run 2 miles in 21 minutes. I kept running and was pretty well convinced that I could get a new PR until I realized I had forgotten an entire mile. Eeeesh. Bad math my friends. Once I realized the PR was out the window, I recalculated to see if I was still on pace to finish before 7 am (goal #3). The sub 2:00 was still in reach so I did my best just to run a reasonable pace and not speed up until I got to that final 5K.

Of course, I was still stopping for all the photos and that included Clarabelle Cow. I owned the Minnie n Me Best Friends books as a youngster so I've always been a big fan of Minnie, Daisy, and Clarabelle.

Shortly after mile 8 (8:40) were Lilo and Stitch at separate stops (stopped for both). I don't remember so many separate stops in the past with the same character theme. It seems they used to be together or swap out. Is this a new thing? I'm guessing maybe it's to do with keeping the performers a safe distance from one another? Once I got to this point in the race everything sort of blurs together so you'll have to forgive my memory. I do remember that ramp at the end of mile 10 was BRUTAL. I don't remember it being so long or so angled before. The uphill itself wasn't challenging but my entire right side was unhappy about the camber. At some point I stopped for a photo with Thumper who at the time I thought was Flower. I knew the character was from Bambi but it wasn't until after I took the photo that I remembered Flower is the skunk...my brain was mush at this point.

The Finish
The final mile of the race was tough. I had been pushing the pace the entire race even though I wasn't chasing a PR because I wanted to see what I could do (and of course for that elusive Remy BG). Clearly my brain was done but my body was also ready to be finished. At this point I broke my character stop rule as I ran past Bolt and another character that I didn't even know. It would have had to be someone particularly special to me to get me to stop at this point. I'm happy that we ran past Journey into Imagination as Figment will always have a fond place in my heart but I do wish there was more Epcot in this course. I didn't even get a glimpse of World Showcase or the lagoon and even Spaceship Earth was hard to see with all the construction walls. I'm sure it will be better next year but compared to the MK, the Epcot portion is meh.

When I crossed the finish line, the clock said 1:55 so I knew I had met goal #3. Goal #2 was also accomplished as I had a lot of fun along the way. Although there are areas I would like to see improvement, the race itself has a great atmosphere and it's always brought a smile to my face. Overall a very successful race 🥳

Official Results
Time: 1:54:57 - New Disney PR by nearly 10 minutes and shockingly my second fastest HM ever. This race has me confident that a new HM PR is in my future. I lost a lot of fitness over 2019 and 2020 so I'm really thrilled to be where I'm at now. I'm not quite back to 2018 shape, but I'm getting there.

What's next?
I'm already registered for a HM at the end of April and another June. Depending how the April one goes, I may take the June one easy but knowing me, I'll still want to push myself to see what I can do come race day. After that, I'm planning to scale back a bit this summer before ramping up for marathon training in the fall.

Great recap and a great race! Congrats on reaching all of your goals.
Thank you!! I was really happy with how the race went, exceeded my expectations. I really appreciate your help in preparing me to reach my goals.

Awesome pictures, epsecially the castle and the penguin shots!
🤣 that silly penguin. I was trying to pose like a penguin but I don't think penguins ever put their wings in the air like that. I'm still happy with the photo but my brain cannot be trusted at 5am.

Here's a photo of me with an actual penguin last month and, as you can see, no wings in the air.

Drake Road Race Half Training - Weeks 0 & 1/13
Hi old friends, it’s been a few weeks since an update and I’m officially training for my next race. After the Disney half, I took an entire week off. I was so accustomed to running nearly everyday that the break was mentally tough. Physically it was definitely the right decision. My legs were sore for several days after the race, much more than I was expecting. It was Tuesday before I could walk down the stairs without issue.

Finally on the 16th I decided to find my old friend the treadmill for a few miles. During the run I noticed my left quad and right hamstring were both feeling tight. I tried for a run again on Tuesday, this time outside. Unfortunately there’s a 100 m stretch of ice between me and my usual running route. On the bright side, it was nearly 40 so perfect running weather. I drove to the lake that I typically run and planned to do 2 laps for 4 total miles. Right away I noticed pain in my right knee. I was hopeful that it would work it’s way out as I ran but it never did so I ended up calling it quits after 2.75 miles. This was followed by a lot of stretching and my knee felt much better afterwards so I plan to keep up the stretches. Due to the knee pain, I planned to take a few days off and hope it sorted itself out. The few days off ended up meaning no running again until my plan officially started this week, so without further ado here’s the scoop.

Scheduled
Monday - Off
Tuesday - EA 3 miles
Wednesday - EB 4 miles
Thursday - EA 3 miles
Friday - Off
Saturday - EB 5 miles
Sunday - Long Run 6.75 miles

Completed
Monday - Off
Tuesday - EA 3 miles
Wednesday - EB 4 miles
Thursday - Off
Friday - Off
Saturday - EB 5 miles
Sunday - Long Run 6.75 miles

Whomp whomp. One week in and I already missed a run 😒. I caught some sort of cold and was overly fatigued and sneezing. Despite this, I was ready to dive right into training on Tuesday. The -25 WC and aforementioned ice path, kept me on the treadmill. The only note I have is that I could feel my hip but it wasn't in pain.

I actually felt a lot better health wise after the run so Wednesday I was back at it. I felt the knee again in this run but it did go away. Followed it up with lots of stretching. I also finally figured out how to setup the treadmill so I can run further than 5K at a time without it stopping. Of course, after living here for 18 months, I'm scheduled to move in 3 weeks 😆. Oh well, at least the next few weeks won't be as annoying if I'm on the treadmill.

Wednesday night my cold caught back up to me and I was really exhausted all day on Thursday. That combined with the weird hip/knee pain lead me to skip the Thursday run.

Luckily by Saturday, I was feeling much better and it was in the low 30s with sunshine! We finally had enough sun and warmth to melt most of the ice path so off I went on my usual path. The weather was absolutely amazing and the run was too.
Well, until the final half block where I noticed my throat was tightening. Due to my reaction at the end of October, this freaked me out a LOT. Immediately I was questioning if I needed epinephrine. My hands felt like they might be swelling and my core was itchy. Since I was so close to home I decided to just walk inside and examine how I looked in the mirror. There was no noticable swelling in my face or hands but there was redness on my stomach. I found two identifiable red spots which I thought were hives but my husband thought were bites. I took some Zyrtec and felt fine. Still not really sure what happened, it had been 3 hours since lunch so unlikely it was food related. My plan is to monitor to see if it happens again and also take Zyrtec before my runs.

Sunday was a bit colder and icier. There were a few patches where I needed to slow down and I had to alter my route. The running itself felt good aerobically but I still started with pain in my right knee that migrated to my hip as I continued. I'm pretty sure it's connected to the awful on ramps at Disney because I had a lot of pain in my right side during and after that section. If anyone has any exercises or stretches that they recommend, I'm all ears 😁

That's all for now folks. Happy running!

Drake Road Race Half Training - Week 2/13
Hi friends, another sketchy week here. I'll get into the details in a bit. But first let's revisit my hip/knee pain last week. Usually, the pain was only while I was running and wasn't bad enough to make me stop. However, my hip was in a lot of pain last Sunday after my run and didn't go away until I woke up on Monday so I think I may have finally overdid it. Anyway, I'm heading to the PT in a few minutes to see what he has to say. Now on with the recap!

Scheduled
Monday - Off
Tuesday - EA 4 miles
Wednesday - CV 5x3 min
Thursday - EA 3 miles
Friday - Off
Saturday - EB 4 miles
Sunday - Time trial

Completed
Monday - Off
Tuesday - EA 4 miles
Wednesday - CV 5x3 min*
Thursday - Off
Friday - Off
Saturday - EB 4 miles
Sunday - Time trial

Second week of training and second week of missing a run. 😒 In the intro, I mentioned the hip pain. That went away on Monday and so I went for my Tuesday run without a second thought. The temp was supposedly in the 30s so I went outside which was mostly fine but it did feel much colder than 30 and I wish I would have worn a jacket. The pain returned but didn't seem to be getting any worse.

On Wednesday the wind chill was back to -20 so I took advantage of the treadmill. I was also hoping the softer surface of the treadmill would help as well. It didn't. I was able to complete the work out but did cut the cool down from 1.5mi to just .5 miles because my knee was really starting to bother me. The change in speeds was not my friend and I could feel it in my knee each time I switched.

The pain lingered all day on Wednesday and into Thursday so finally on Thursday I decided I need to get this checked out and skipped my easy run for some extra rest. I don't really mind running in pain, but I don't want it interfering with my regular life so that was the final straw. I did an initial assessment at the PT office. He didn't seem to think anything was injured but suggested that I come back for a full eval.

Since the PT seemed unconcerned, on Saturday I went out for the same 4 mile loop as I did on Tuesday. During this run, I was reminded that I've been running with slight arch pain in my left foot for roughly half a year. Since I'm able to run through it and it's not bad enough to stop me from running, I've never taken any serious steps towards removing it. I do try to stretch my arches and calves more than I used to but that's very minimal. Anyway, it was during this run that I realized I've likely been favoring my right side which certainly isn't helping whatever is happening in my knee and hip.

Sunday morning the hip pain was still lingering but I figured I had enough in me to still complete the time trial. This time trial was scheduled to assess my current fitness since there are slim pickings of 5Ks with decent courses and weather this time of year. I far and away prefer racing. The race atmosphere gives me an extra jolt and the other competitors in the course keep me pushing. Since I know I struggle with motivation in non race conditions, I elected to do a 1 mile trial hoping that I could keep focus for that long. This more or less worked. There was a definite slowdown in my pace mid mile, but I was also pretty gassed at the end so I'm not sure I had anything left in the tank anyway. I was happy with my effort.

8D53AC90-8F2C-41E7-82C4-ADA64154D11D.png

I should also mention that I ran this trial "blind" in that I had no idea what was a feasible mile time. I assumed it would be something less than 8 minutes but that's really all I had to go on. The only race equivalency calculator I've ever used is Luke Humphries so immediately after my run I plugged my time in and was suddenly very unhappy with the result. My 7:25 mile was only good enough for a 1:53:28 half equivalency. My goal was to get something that said I could run a 1:50. It took me a few minutes, but I eventually remembered that I had given a good effort and this was likely just showing that I have room for improvement in my speed work. I'm sure the pain in my right knee and hip didn't help either.

As for goals for my April half, I'd still really like that 1:50. I ran a 10 miler in mid November that has a half equivalency of 1:50:26 so maybe it's still possible. However, right now my primary goal is to get this pain under control and not wind up truly injured.

Happy running y'all!

Drake Road Race Half Training - Weeks 3&4/13
Hi friends, my life has been BA NAN A S for the past two weeks.

We're mid move and my home is currently a disaster. However, I'm way too exhausted to do anything about it right now. Someone remind me to never move again.

Scheduled
Monday - Off
Tuesday - EB 4 miles
Wednesday - CV 7x2 min
Thursday - EA 4 miles
Friday - Off
Saturday - EB 6 miles
Sunday - long run 8 miles
Monday - Off
Tuesday - EB 4 miles
Wednesday - CV 6x3 min
Thursday - EA 3 miles
Friday - Off
Saturday - EB 4 miles
Sunday - long run 6.5 miles

Completed
Monday - Off
Tuesday - EB 4 miles
Wednesday - CV 7x2 min
Thursday - EA 4 miles
Friday - EB 6 miles
Saturday - off
Sunday - Off
Monday - Off
Tuesday - EB 4 miles
Wednesday - CV 6x3 min
Thursday - EA 3 miles
Friday - Off
Saturday - EB 4 miles
Sunday - long run 6.5 miles

Like I said, I'm a bit exhausted but wanted to post this for accountability reasons. I missed one of my long runs which I still feel guilty about. With travel and move prep, I just couldn't find the time or energy. It did motivate me to find time for all of my runs last week at least, even though I felt a bit guilty on Saturday taking a break from moving to complete my run.

I also managed two visits to the PT. The first one cleared me to run and gave me a few stretches/exercises that have worked miracles. The second visit we analyzed my running form and I do a lot of weird things when I run. He thinks most of them can be fixed if I increase my cadence so I'm focused on that and it's quite the challenge. I'm really horrible at keeping a beat so trying to run on one is tough.

That's all for now. I need to go find a box to unpack so that my living area doesn't forever look like this. 649176

Happy running y'all!

Drake Road Race Half Training - Week 5/13
This week was only slightly less bananas. We're still very much mid move. Most things are at the new place but only about 50% of those things have found their new home. We're also still waiting for internet which is a huge challenge since I'm a remote employee. I've found running to be a great way to relieve some of the move stress and keep some level of normal in my life.

Scheduled
Monday - Off
Tuesday - EB 4.5 miles
Wednesday - CV 4x(4,3,2) min
Thursday - EA 4.5 miles
Friday - Off
Saturday - EB 7 miles
Sunday - long run 9.25 miles

Completed
Monday - Off
Tuesday - EB 4 miles
Wednesday - CV 2x(4,3,2) min
Thursday - EA 4.4 miles
Friday - Off
Saturday - EB 7 miles
Sunday - long run 9.25 miles

No skipped runs this week but a few modifications mid week. I honestly thought that I was only meant to run 4 miles on Tuesday and didn't realize the mistake until right now. Whoops.

We had a pretty brutal cold front come in so Wednesday I made my way back to the apartment complex to use their treadmill. As you can see, I only did half of this workout. It was a tough run and probably didn't help that I was overdressed for indoors. I was starting to question if I was really meant to do 4 reps and decided to take a quick pause to double check. Well, while I was checking, the treadmill completely shut down so I took that as a sign that I should shut it down as well. I'm not really sure if that was the right decision but it's the one I made in the moment.

On Thursday, I had another PT appointment. Nothing really notable about the appointment itself except that I decided to complete my run by running to and from the appointment. It was snowing and the staff thought I was a little crazy.... But I had to find the time to run and this made the most sense.

Friday was a rest day but I was reminded that Girls on the Run is currently hosting a run challenge so I decided to sign up for that. As long as I run the majority of the miles on my plan, I should have no problem reaching the 100 mile goal by March 31. As part of the challenge I also decided to raise money for our local chapter. I've been a GOTR coach for 6 seasons now and it's been a great experience for both myself and the participants. However, my site is one that couldn't exist without financial support. These girls often don't have proper shoes and there have been a few that don't even have socks. GOTR is able to pay the participation fees and provide the other necessary items through the generous donations of others. If you want to help me reach my goal to provide a welcoming and accessible after school program, please check out my fundraising link:
https://runsignup.com/Race/122841/Donate/bTJYXr8O3TYZvPsS
Since my training hasn't been stellar, my 7 mile easy run was more daunting than it should have been. Fortunately the run itself was good and the scary part was all in my head. The same was true for Sunday's run. It still kind of blows my mind that I ran over 16 miles this weekend. And I still helped paint the basement and unpack. Definitely boosted my confidence.

I'm nearing the halfway point and I'm optimistic about the rest of training which was not the case a few weeks ago when I was suffering from a lot of hip and knee pain. So much so that I was regretting pushing so hard at marathon weekend. However a few simple exercises and a brand new warm up are helping immensely. I'm hoping the trend continues and I'm able to exit this cycle on a high note before taking it easy for the summer.

Happy running y'all!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter